• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Repasted laptop GPU 1660 TI ends in higher temps than before

Hello. As explained, my laptop's GPU 1660 TI has higher temps than it did before i repasted it. I know that shouldn't happen, but i did the repaste twice and after i checked how it was after my first application it seemed ok for the GPU atleast, but the paste hadn't covered the CPU fully, so just for good measure i did the line method on them both. The CPU went from about 93-96 in Cyberpunk to about 83-85 or so. Not the best, but i've already done it twice. But the real problem is with the GPU which seems to have gone from it's max 83 with stock paste to 86 max with the repaste, with fans on max. it doesnt even seem to be moving 1 degree at all. but when i close the game, it instantly drops to about 50 and stays there, even on auto fan mode. And with the line method, there is almost a guarantee that the GPU is covered, since i also tightened the screws with the criss cross method and did it slowly, to make sure it spread out properly. But it still ends in higher temps than before. How come? can anybody help? i really dont want to open it up again and repaste the third time in just 2 days. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• GPU data after GPU-Z 1.6.21.PNG
    GPU data after GPU-Z 1.6.21.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 205
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
usually some good noctua paste, or AS5 works great. it might be a case of something else getting disturbed, maybe a thermal pad was pushed or knocked out of place, or a fan is obstructed, i knows its not rocket science, but it wouldnt be the first time. i dont see a way around opening again, unless you make peace with those temps,, or if the curing time for the TIM is a factor & you havent waited long enough

id suggest monitoring the temps while not in a game, then running a game that is more 'established' driver wise to determine if thew GPU is running hotter than it shoudl be.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Well I just got done repasting my rig 6! times... ended up having 1 bad tube of Kryonaut, and the other tube dropped temps by 10C.

So PSA - paste does, infact go bad, and can PIT/scratch your heatsink base when it does so. Maybe try a different tube of paste?

good noctua paste, or AS5 works great
well... i used MX-4 since i had heart it was only a couple degrees behind the NT-H1, but the problem is that i could get more MX-4, for the same price as the noctua paste. and with only about a couple degrees difference it seemed to make sense to use that one... but alright, i'll keep monitoring it a bit and if it really is done for i'll open it again.
if the curing time for the TIM is a factor & you havent waited long enough
you mean the burn in time? in that case, from what i've gathered, there should be almost no burn in time on MX-4. But im not sure. anyways, thanks for your help though. i'll try and see what happens later on. if nothing good then there's nothing to do... i can dread it, i can run from it, but destiny will still arrive all the same. have a good one mate.

Maybe try a different tube of paste?
well... not gonna lie, im using the MX-4, so the chance of it being bad as the first one (if it really is bad) is a bit high since its a bit old... it doesn't even say it is the 2019 version. and from what i can see online, the 2019 version doesnt come in a small box but kind of a bag. so it looks like i got the old version which should atleast work a bit. i dont want to go out of my way and get another tube... but if it gets to it, i'll try to sort something out. thanks for your help and experience, mate.

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
Shouldn't have re-pasted your GPU if temp isn't above 90°C as modern GPU has a much higher thermal tolerance than that.

How much paste did you apply on the GPU?
Did you also cleaned/scraped off any previous paste before applying new paste?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
first, have you cleaned the old paste perfectly? there's a chance old paste ruin the new paste
2nd, how much you use the new paste, some prefer small grain, since more paste is not great for the temp
3rd, how good the contact area, and how you tight the heatsink

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
paste does, infact go bad
The white stuff, seems the most likely to do that! It's likely that the Antec Formula 7 paste, OTOH, would last a good while.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
I'm guessing you've applied either too much paste or you're not screwing it tight enough

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
MX4 is not suited for laptop, the reason is it pumps out at high temp (the TIM liquidfy and spread out so there is almost nothing left on the die after some gaming session)

For Laptop application I suggest these paste
Batman ZF-EX (pretty cheap, rebranded Thermalright TF-X)
Kingpin KPx (expensive, but the best performing)

System Name EventHorizon
Processor Intel® Core™ Processor i9-13900KF 8P/16 + 16E 3.00GHz [Turbo 5.7GHz] 36MB Cache LGA1700
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z790-P
Cooling CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB
Storage 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/110
Display(s) LG 34''
Case CyberPowerPC HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Panoramic View Tempered Glass + 2x120mm
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix w/Alan Finote mod for Windows 11
Power Supply High Power 1300W 80+ GOLD Full Modular w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600 wired
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7 TKL red Switch
Software Win 11 Pro

Puget Systems make great computers too. I upgraded the server at work using these guys and their customer service is mind blowing.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
@Empecial Just dab a small amount on the Die and use a plastic card to smooth it out.. also the key here is to properly clean both surfaces.. Some use Isopropanol alcohol, I get the good stuff, 99%er ;)

But to do a proper job I use ArctiClean 2 part cleaner.. It works extremely well.. W1zzard here on TPU uses that stuff religiously the last time I asked him about it.

Here's an Amazon link, Christ they want double what id generally pay at my local store..

ArctiClean 60ml Kit (includes 30ml ArctiClean 1 and 30ml ArctiClean 2): Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

Last edited:
@Empecial Just dab a small amount on the Die and use a plastic card to smooth it out.. also the key here is to properly clean both surfaces.. Some use Isopropanol alcohol, I get the good stuff, 99%er ;)

But to do a proper job I use ArctiClean 2 part cleaner.. It works extremely well.. W1zzard here on TPU uses that stuff religiously the last time I asked him about it.

Here's an Amazon link, Christ they want double what id generally pay at my local store..

ArctiClean 60ml Kit (includes 30ml ArctiClean 1 and 30ml ArctiClean 2): Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

Definitely, my type of application - very thin and smooth layer. Screws' tightening is also very important for properly distributed pressure - follow the numbers beside them.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Some laptops use thicker paste than normal, you may be better off with a thermal pad

How much paste did you apply on the GPU?
well, i did a moderate amount for the line. probably a bit more than what people would like.
Did you also cleaned/scraped off any previous paste before applying new paste?
yep. i got some alchohol that was about 85% or so i believe (the best in the house at the time) and did it mostly with cotton swabs to even get the small pieces out properly. and then did the dies a couple more times to ensure they were as clean as possible.

first, have you cleaned the old paste perfectly? there's a chance old paste ruin the new paste
did the best i could and made it clean.
2nd, how much you use the new paste, some prefer small grain, since more paste is not great for the temp
i did the line method to ensure it was spread out and all. i experienced my first application didnt cover the CPU fully so tried this to guarantee it

3rd, how good the contact area, and how you tight the heatsink
im not sure how good the contact area is, theres a copper pipe and a copper plate to make contact. its an acer nitro 7, maybe you can see what i mean then. and i tightened it with the criss cross method slowly to ensure it spread out

I'm guessing you've applied either too much paste or you're not screwing it tight enough
well,i did kind of read that i shouldnt screw it overly tight. but i did do it tight though.

MX4 is not suited for laptop, the reason is it pumps out at high temp (the TIM liquidfy and spread out so there is almost nothing left on the die after some gaming session)
well i saw some reviews and it seems to work for them, but i dont know at this point. i'll see about it then

well i'll try and check it out if it's worth it. thanks

very thin and smooth layer
well i was kind of hoping the heatsink would help in doing that
Screws' tightening is also very important for properly distributed pressure
i did the criss cross method slowly to ensure it spread out but i dont know how well i did it.

follow the numbers beside them.
from what i could see i didnt see any numbers on there for the way to do it, but next time i'll try and see if there are any

Some laptops use thicker paste than normal, you may be better off with a thermal pad
thermal pad? heard those have worse temps than paste, but at this point im not really too sure. i'll try researching it. thanks

Processor delidded 8700k oc 5.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling corsair h100 rgb pro 240mm aio
Memory 16gb (2x8) corsair vengeance 2400mhz stock oc to 3000
Video Card(s) EVGA ftw3 1080 ti hybrid with custom oc
Storage 500gb samsung 970evo m.2
Display(s) acer 25 inch with 75hz refresh rate
Case cuk mantis that i customized for airflow
Power Supply evga 850BQ
Mouse Razer lancehead tournament edition
Keyboard Razer blackwidow v2
Software just basic windows 10 and msi afterburner
Benchmark Scores firestrike 24,690
Well I just got done repasting my rig 6! times... ended up having 1 bad tube of Kryonaut, and the other tube dropped temps by 10C.

So PSA - paste does, infact go bad, and can PIT/scratch your heatsink base when it does so. Maybe try a different tube of paste?
there was a huge bad batch of kryonaut. and some vendors on ebay AND amazon are still selling the bad batch vials. I had one and that was it for me. I use conductonaut still in my delids but i will NEVER use kryonaut again. I wont risk my hardware on their shady product. I run Noctua NT-H1 and my temps are the same and sometimes even better than with kryonaut and its a heck of a lot cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NT-H1...d&qid=1610032566&sprefix=nt-h1,aps,162&sr=8-3

Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
is it seated properly?

D

Deleted member 193596

For Laptop application I suggest these paste
Batman ZF-EX (pretty cheap, rebranded Thermalright TF-X)
Kingpin KPx (expensive, but the best performing)
my 2080 Ti AMP Extreme (350W Powerlimit) was repasted with MX4 over a year ago and the temps are exactly the same as on day one.

just need some proper full coverage manual application and not a pea on the die.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
well, i did a moderate amount for the line. probably a bit more than what people would like.
i did the line method to ensure it was spread out and all. i experienced my first application didnt cover the CPU fully so tried this to guarantee it
i did the criss cross method slowly to ensure it spread out but i dont know how well i did it.
Well, that one part of the problem you made worse. You applied too much paste. It should be no more than a large drop-size or a pea-size amount. Thermal pastes are heat conductors that pass on heat to the cooler but too much paste like you did, won't pass heat optimally. Not to mention that the paste could leak and spread around the die which could possibly short circuit your electronics. Small amounts of paste is enough to spread on the die as there needs to be the shortest most direct contact possible with the heatsink.
yep. i got some alchohol that was about 85% or so i believe (the best in the house at the time) and did it mostly with cotton swabs to even get the small pieces out properly. and then did the dies a couple more times to ensure they were as clean as possible.
Don't use alcohol or any other type of fluid. Use a plastic scraper such as cards for the hard/dried stuff and use dry toothbrush for all the small bits and pieces.
thermal pad? heard those have worse temps than paste, but at this point im not really too sure. i'll try researching it. thanks
That depends on the product themself. Sometimes it's better, sometime their worse. Check for reviews. Or you can check this graph for comparison:

Attachments

• yqSq6qVDxvcsSQc3kFUvfG.png
    yqSq6qVDxvcsSQc3kFUvfG.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 112
You applied too much paste
well i mean... i did do it a bit to ensure it, but then again, we have results and proven tests that too much paste shouldnt make THAT much more of a difference, except if its an unreasonable amount. and since i didnt do it to an unreasonable amount, i cant see how the paste would end up making it hotter than before

The paste (or TIM) is supposed to fill only the tiny pits and gaps between the two surfaces (CPU/GPU - Heatsink). Too much paste and it would become an insulator instead of conductor.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
The paste (or TIM) is supposed to fill only the tiny pits and gaps between the two surfaces (CPU/GPU - Heatsink). Too much paste and it would become an insulator instead of conductor.
Ninja'd!!! LOL! :laugh: :slap: :nutkick:

@Empecial There is your answer above.

Too much paste and it would become an insulator instead of conductor.
you're not wrong, but as said, it was more of a line instead of just the pea. but then again, i am new at this a bit so i'll check it again. But im pretty sure you're aware that, that scenario doesn't have to be the case, even if you use a bit much. but i will check it. thanks man

Last edited:
you're not wrong, but as said, it was more of a line instead of just the pea. but then again, i am new at this a bit so i'll check it again. But im pretty sure you're aware that, that scenario doesn't have to be the case, even if you use a bit much.
There's no problem to be more IF the pressure manages to spread it even (up to zero) in which I doubt. A fellow forum member (@nguyen) suggests heating up the paste with a hairdryer or hot gun before screwing the heatsink and it definitely makes sense. It would make the paste less viscous, allowing it to spread easier.
This is the exact reason I don't like the 3-5-whatever number of dots or lines method. For me what works best is a very tiny and evenly spread layer of paste and lots of attention on screwing and tightening. What we're aiming at is the least amount of TIM, with as little as possible air trapped within (it expands when heating, making gaps, acting as a jack and besides is a very good insulator). Using the dots method is prone to leaving air where the paste from different dots gathers in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rei

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

did the best i could and made it clean.

im not sure how good the contact area is, theres a copper pipe and a copper plate to make contact. its an acer nitro 7, maybe you can see what i mean then. and i tightened it with the criss cross method slowly to ensure it spread out

well,i did kind of read that i shouldnt screw it overly tight. but i did do it tight though.

well i saw some reviews and it seems to work for them, but i dont know at this point. i'll see about it then

well i'll try and check it out if it's worth it. thanks

well i was kind of hoping the heatsink would help in doing that

from what i could see i didnt see any numbers on there for the way to do it, but next time i'll try and see if there are any

try using multi quote, i got 16 emails for this thread alone

thermal pads can be worse, but if your laptop requires a thicker TIM that wont squeeze out it'll out perform regular TIM every single time. mounting pressure and gaps are something we cannot see or measure, only you can.

• Haha
Reactions: Rei