• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacement of PCIe, PCI, Ram slots

aQi

Hello there,
Lately i had been youtubing and saw couple of videos where people were trying to color their pci express slots and ram slots for a better or appealing color theme, to match their desires.
Im thinking the same but on professional basis. That is replacing the actual slot with different slot different color theme.
Im targeting old motherboard with brand new fresh look.
The question is has anyone tried this before?
If so where can i get these slots individually?

Hello there,
Lately i had been youtubing and saw couple of videos where people were trying to color their pci express slots and ram slots for a better or appealing color theme, to match their desires.
Im thinking the same but on professional basis. That is replacing the actual slot with different slot different color theme.

Are you talking about de-soldering the PCI-e/RAM socket & putting in a new one with a different color?

D

Deleted member 67555

Exactly, i know it sounds insane but why not?
Because it's insane.. LoL
That's not even a simple task for shops with the right equipment.
I imagine the cost if getting it done would exceed the value of most any board thus making a new board the way to go.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Should be doable, hot air gun to remove, solder wick to clean up the holes, then just hand solder.

I'd imagine you can order the brand new slots yourself, or you could potentially salvage them from old boards. Imagine getting a load of old DFI boards and taking the green/yellow pcie slots off those :D

aQi

Because it's insane.. LoL
That's not even a simple task for shops with the right equipment.
I imagine the cost if getting it done would exceed the value of most any board thus making a new board the way to go.

Yes indeed not a simple task thats why i will go slow with one slot per week or two slots per week. It needs dedication and yes making a new board from an old one is the way to go.
I am thinking more from your statement now. Making a new board. What else can be done ?

D

Deleted member 24505

I saw a MB once that had had the atx power plug removed and replaced on the reverse, so it was really clean looking from the front.

Reactions: aQi

aQi

Should be doable, hot air gun to remove, solder wick to clean up the holes, then just hand solder.

I'd imagine you can order the brand new slots yourself, or you could potentially salvage them from old boards. Imagine getting a load of old DFI boards and taking the green/yellow pcie slots off those :D

Haha i was thinking about DFI x48 with ich10r the only x48 with ich10r motherboard. But one second thoughts looking forward to gigabyte and asus rog as well.
I can take the slots out but then taking them out neatly and then resoldering onto another might take a while.

The hardest part is de-soldering. Even I myself would not do this even thou I do have the correct equipment. The risk of damaging an internal trace is to high.

@OP I will give it a go as I have lots of dead motherboards here. I will try the fast route first & stick it in an oven. I have keep a very sharp eye temperature as the socket will melt if left to long.

As for doing this on a working motherboard, no way, i'm not that crazy.

aQi

I saw a MB once that had had the atx power plug removed and replaced on the reverse, so it was really clean looking from the front.

Really admire the idea man..how about the 90angle connector onboard soldered similar to the cooler master’s 90angle 24pin power connector ?

The hardest part is de-soldering. Even I myself would not do this even thou I do have the correct equipment. The risk of damaging an internal trace is to high.

@OP I will give it a go as I have lots of dead motherboards here. I will try the fast route first & stick it in an oven. I have keep a very sharp eye temperature as the socket will melt if left to long.

As for doing this on a working motherboard, no way, i'm not that crazy.

But i am.....

Please post pictures and procedure as well.
I may only be using regular methods heatgun and solders. But i didnt get it internal trace damage ?
I have worked with cellphones so i dont think these may be an issue for me.

I already done something similar. There are socket on motherboards that I think should not be on the top side of the motherboard. I removed case fan header from top side & moved it to the back. My personal opinion on sockets, anything that is PC chassis related should be on the rear of the motherboard, but not all sockets can be moved, but some can. It all depends if anything is in the way on the backside of the motherboard.

EDIT: I already hacked in a 8 pin CPU power socket on a 939 motherboard some time ago, replacing 4 pin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

Yes indeed not a simple task thats why i will go slow with one slot per week or two slots per week. It needs dedication and yes making a new board from an old one is the way to go.
I am thinking more from your statement now. Making a new board. What else can be done ?
If you got the will I'm sure you'll find a way.
The most complicated solder I've done was a BIOS chip replacement.

If you got the will I'm sure you'll find a way.
The most complicated solder I've done was a BIOS chip replacement.

That's easy to do. When you are dealing with though-hole PCI-e, the risk of damage tracks is very high. If you have removed capacitors, you will know what i am talking about.

You can't stick a working motherboard in an oven, as there are other things on the motherboard that don't like high temperature. Also I known that other components will fall off when it is an oven. The PCI-e socket should just fall out when in an oven, but you can only do this on a already dead motherboard.

@OP I have a real oven, so it should take around 4 mins max to de-solder. Very short time.
reflow-solder-oven-AOYUE-HHL3000-5-Stage.png_350x350.png

Last edited:
System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
hmm, I thought they'd come off easier than this.. I just had a go at removing one from an old 775 board, first with a cheapo hot air solder station which almost did it, but took too long and the slot went soft and deformed... then tried with a heat gun but still didn't have much success. It definitely looked like it was going to come off but the board was so hot it was going all flexible.. I think there's a high probability of killing any board you try this with, but I still reckon it's plausible.

Edit, got some other bits off.. Anyone need a spare southbridge, or maybe I can tempt you with a couple of raid controller chips? Lol

DSC_0058.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

hmm, I thought they'd come off easier than this.. I just had a go at removing one from an old 775 board, first with a cheapo hot air solder station which almost did it, but took too long and the slot went soft and deformed... then tried with a heat gun but still didn't have much success. It definitely looked like it was going to come off but the board was so hot it was going all flexible.. I think there's a high probability of killing any board you try this with, but I still reckon it's plausible.

Maybe needs directed heat just onto solder area?

When you are dealing with though-hole PCI-e, the risk of damage tracks is very high. If you have removed capacitors, you will know what i am talking about.
I replace through-hole capacitors all the time. As a matter of fact I just did an entire motherboard's worth yesterday. And I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't even have a "good" soldering iron either(just a cheap Weller SP40 I picked up at the local hardware store). But I've never managed to damage anything to the point that it no longer functioned. I've scratched the solder resist off quite a few times. Never broken a trace though. I just paint over the nicks/scratches with a little clear nail polish. Good to go. What I'm getting at is you'd have to be pretty heavy handed to mess anything up real bad. Not saying it can't happen. It definitely can. It's just never happened to me...with through-hole components anyway(which I've replaced thousands of). It's the solder pads for SMDs that are fragile AF. I've killed those before. But you can usually repair that type of damage too.

I don't know what you mean about "internal traces" either. Pretty sure they're mythical. And would be well protected from damage even if they weren't.

All I'd want to replace a PCI-E slot would be a hot air gun and one of those solder suckers. I could get by with less even I'm sure. It just wouldn't be as easy. You can pull that plastic part off and pop the pins out one by one if you had to. Which might take a while. Getting a new one back on there would be a piece of cake though.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Hello there,
That's an insane idea. First off, you'll have to invest into at least an entry-level IR Rework Station, which starts at around $1500 for something that won't fry your components.
Then, find a suitable place for it with a leveled desk and a power outlet which can handle 3kW load. Afterwards - do some training as a component-level repair tech, so you can familiarize yourself with the topic.
Lastly - say "fuck this idea" and make $50 per operation(excluding parts) on replacing damaged sockets and burnt chipsets instead.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
The squeeze-able solder paste in a tube would make the soldering step easy to do once your pass de-soldering the slot.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
It is insane. Most boards are designed that way that they cannot withstand such operation one more time.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Wave soldering, isn't that the step motherboards go through for soldering the slots? Yes

That's an insane idea. First off, you'll have to invest into at least an entry-level IR Rework Station, which starts at around $1500 for something that won't fry your components.
Then, find a suitable place for it with a leveled desk and a power outlet which can handle 3kW load. Afterwards - do some training as a component-level repair tech, so you can familiarize yourself with the topic.
Lastly - say "fuck this idea" and make $50 per operation(excluding parts) on replacing damaged sockets and burnt chipsets instead.

I have a workstation too, Aoyue BGA9000A full infrared, but it's still not the best way to remove a PCI-e socket from a working motherboard. I have done something like this before & the best way to remove the socket, is to break the plastic up into little bits, then de-soldered. What you will be doing is de-soldering in little sections, other than one big connector.

If the connector was on the edge of the board, then I could use the workstation as I can shield other components from heat.

Also PCI-e & I do believe DDR ram sockets are soldered in on both sides. Look at PCI-e socket just under the plastic you should just make out the solder under the plastic on the top side of the motherboard. I'm taking a wild guess here that I think all motherboards PCI-e/Ram sockets are soldered in this way.

Be aware I also thought about changing my PCI-e socket to armored one's, then found out their are soldered in differently.

Aoyue_BGA9000A_500.jpg

Edit, got some other bits off.. Anyone need a spare southbridge, or maybe I can tempt you with a couple of raid controller chips? Lol

View attachment 119466

Your making me laugh. You bought a smile to my face. Very funny. Have to give you a like for trying. Now I give it a quick go in the oven, standby.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
I have a workstation too, Aoyue BGA9000A full infrared, but it's still not the best way to remove a socket PCI-e from a working motherboard.
This is your problem. 700W pre-heater is nothing. An entry-level stations have an array of ceramic heaters ranging in 1.5-2.5kW range. Yours probably has 6 quartz lamps with big-ass spacing in-between (or 8 smaller low-power lamps, which is probably worse).
Plus you have a shitty halogen lamp at the top, which means two things:
1) Small heating area
2) Uneven heating area
Not enough to work with PCIe or RAM slots.

You'll be better off diluting lead-free solder with Rose's metal (25% Pb, 25% Sn, 50% Bi), flipping the board over and using hot air station on the back, while pre-heating the front.

Regarding reinforced PCIe slots: that metal part is not just for support, it's also working as a EMI shield. This means that all-around it is soldered to the ground, and the ground plane is the biggest in your motherboard (bigger thermal capacity, and harder to work with).
Basically it all boils down to the same issue: YOU NEED MOAR POWAAAA.

Last edited:

aQi

Well more posts more knowledge. I never thought of having these armor PCIe to be in lga775 motherboard. The best motherboards were by my sight
Asus Striker 2 extreme
Asus Rampage Extreme
I was having a good thought of buying a cheap Rampage as it was the first rampage and giving it a new look atleast sounds good to me.
The red and black theme to go with the original rampage is an interesting project.
Suppose if i cut out the plastic from the PCIe and PCI and ram slots. desolder the pins and take them out by sucker.
But what about the new PCIe slots, PCI slots, Ram slot, 90 angle 24pin power ??
Where can i buy these internationally ?