• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Request: Bring back clubs perhaps with some changes.

Do you support less intrusive clubs?

• Total voters
System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
In the original closing clubs thread it was suggested to make a public request in support of clubs so here we are. TPU is my favorite tech-related community and as such seeing a decision like the removal of clubs that fall outside of the realm of tech is rather baffling. Finding good communities to participate in is hard and harder still is creating a good community where people want to interact outside of the main subject matter. Sharing interests with like-minded people is one of the reasons I came to TPU and I imagine it is the same for many other members. What makes this community great is that it lives beyond technology, the community genuinely cares about helping others and will go out of their way to do so in many cases. The community is what makes TPU what it is so why hamper the ability to interact with others who share interests outside of technology, clubs do not hurt anyone and they provide a way to socialize with other members in what is in many cases a relaxing and positive atmosphere. The argument has been made that this is what general nonsense is for but with it being moved off-site it is effectively dead and far less accessible to new members who may not even know it exists. I believe that the response to closing clubs that "do not meet the guidelines" seems to signal that it may be time to re-examine those guidelines and grow the community aspect of TPU which is where I believe the site already flourishes compared to others in the same style. If clubs could be separated from the forums and not count toward post count or trending topics then what would the harm be in allowing TPU to be a place for techies to socialize without it only being confined to technology.

Edit: Also to the mods I have seen it said that there is still discussion being had about the issue, perhaps this could be a place to interact with the community and to show that at least people are being heard even if that doesn't influence the overall decision.

Please refrain from actively attempting to derail this thread, if you have anything to contribute for or against this proposal please go ahead but this is not the place for jokes about the clubs that were removed or why it shouldn't matter what we want.

Edit: TL/DR Allow clubs unrelated to technology as I feel it enriches the community but keep them out of post counts, the activity feed and maybe appoint someone to keep them in order?

Last edited:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
I totally agree @Darkleoco !

I find it so interesting to read some of the club threads. There have been many things I didn't know and learned about and I have always had a huge strive for learning new things.

The beer thread, for example; I learned about types of beers that I had no idea existed!

With TPU having members from all walks of life, I find it very interesting in reading threads in many many of the clubs that have been created that didn't have anything to do with technology.

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was not an active member of any of the clubs, but perused them rather often. I started coming here many moons ago for tech advice and to show off my rig to people who actually knew what it was. Over the years I have gotten to know the personalities of a lot of the "regulars" around here, and the clubs just seemed to enhance that. I got to know what other people were interested in other than tech, and even picked up a couple of extra hobbies along the way (Digital Photo Club, I'm looking at you). GN doesn't have the same "feel" as TPU, and honestly I never end up visiting it. I agree that the clubs should not go toward post count or in the trending topics (though that is how I found a couple of them), but I think they should be allowed, with conditions.

I first came for the tech reviews and assistance with issues, but I stayed and made it my home on the web because of the community. That community is made up of individuals who have unique personalities that have interests that include things other than tech. I see no reason to not allow a separate, but included area to allow the friendships that are born here to blossom and continue to grow. That is fundamentally what makes a community great, the friendships. I love this place, and understand things need to change and be revised on occasion, but I think taking the extraneous social aspect from the longtime users, as well as new members, is not a change or revision that needed to be made. Maybe just cleaned up a little and users notified of some modified rules in relation to the club area.

The long and short of it is this: I don't like Facebook...this place is my Facebook. Other's I'm sure feel the same way.

Just something to consider.

JAT

Edit: Grammar.

Last edited:

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
The long and short of it is this: I don't like Facebook...this place is my Facebook. Other's I'm sure feel the same way.

+1 :toast:

Suggestion: Any formation of a "club" should be tech related (at least a little bit), be submitted for pre-approval, and the thread OP should be responsible for keeping the thread on topic (subject to some penalty if they don't)

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

Suggestion: Any formation of a "club" should be tech related (at least a little bit), be submitted for pre-approval, and the thread OP should be responsible for keeping the thread on topic (subject to some penalty if they don't)

Not so sure about being subjected to a penalty per say, but I do like the angle of the rest of this idea.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I wholeheartedly approve of this thread and the manner in which it is being conducted so far.

OP wants to have a serious discussion and suggestions, so please help him keep it on track.

:lovetpu:

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
Allow clubs unrelated to technology as I feel it enriches the community but keep them out of post counts, the activity feed and maybe appoint someone to keep them in order?

We already have this, its called: http://www.generalnonsense.net/

I did like the craft beer club but I agree it belonged on GN.

We need to keep the "Tech" in TPU.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
We already have this, its called: http://www.generalnonsense.net/

I did like the craft beer club but I agree it belonged on GN.

We need to keep the "Tech" in TPU.
We do indeed have it however it is far separated from TPU, I wouldn't call it easily accessible and most of all it is dead and provides no opportunity for new members to easily locate it. Clubs could even fall under GN but I wholeheartedly believe either bringing GN back under the main forums or integrating it better with TPU could improve the whole situation.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
In the original closing clubs thread it was suggested to make a public request in support of clubs so here we are. TPU is my favorite tech-related community and as such seeing a decision like the removal of clubs that fall outside of the realm of tech is rather baffling. Finding good communities to participate in is hard and harder still is creating a good community where people want to interact outside of the main subject matter. Sharing interests with like-minded people is one of the reasons I came to TPU and I imagine it is the same for many other members. What makes this community great is that it lives beyond technology, the community genuinely cares about helping others and will go out of their way to do so in many cases. The community is what makes TPU what it is so why hamper the ability to interact with others who share interests outside of technology, clubs do not hurt anyone and they provide a way to socialize with other members in what is in many cases a relaxing and positive atmosphere. The argument has been made that this is what general nonsense is for but with it being moved off-site it is effectively dead and far less accessible to new members who may not even know it exists. I believe that the response to closing clubs that "do not meet the guidelines" seems to signal that it may be time to re-examine those guidelines and grow the community aspect of TPU which is where I believe the site already flourishes compared to others in the same style. If clubs could be separated from the forums and not count toward post count or trending topics then what would the harm be in allowing TPU to be a place for techies to socialize without it only being confined to technology.

Edit: Also to the mods I have seen it said that there is still discussion being had about the issue, perhaps this could be a place to interact with the community and to show that at least people are being heard even if that doesn't influence the overall decision.

Please refrain from actively attempting to derail this thread, if you have anything to contribute for or against this proposal please go ahead but this is not the place for jokes about the clubs that were removed or why it shouldn't matter what we want.

Edit: TL/DR Allow clubs unrelated to technology as I feel it enriches the community but keep them out of post counts, the activity feed and maybe appoint someone to keep them in order?

Well said! Am I correct in understanding that you also think that the "atmosphere" of TPU is such that while you personally think its a great place to be for technology, you also feel you can benefit from it more by conversing with like minded people about things that are not technically related but just as enriching?

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
integrating it better with TPU could improve the whole situation.

This I agree with.

I think it would be better if GN had a main page with links to news from TPU and NPU and maybe more editorial stuff that currently gets posted as "news". My main issue with off topic stuff that gets posted on the TPU forums is that serious tech questions posts get pushed off the main page so quickly that they never get the exposure to the community.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
This I agree with.

I think it would be better if GN had a main page with links to news from TPU and NPU and maybe more editorial stuff that currently gets posted as "news". My main issue with off topic stuff that gets posted on the TPU forums is that serious tech questions posts get pushed off the main page so quickly that they never get the exposure to the community.

I agree I think one of the reasons it was moved was

- Its hard to police

- it interferes with the sites model.

Assuming for a moment that either or both of those things are true. How would you go about changing how the content is delivered if they were to re-encorporate GN or a sub forum like it?

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well said! Am I correct in understanding that you also think that the "atmosphere" of TPU is such that while you personally think its a great place to be for technology, you also feel you can benefit from it more by conversing with like minded people about things that are not technically related but just as enriching?
Essentially yes, I was very excited to see that beer thread as I am very close to Asheville NC which has some of the best craft beer around. Besides that though just finding like-minded people can be so difficult depending where you are located and how much free time you have. Most people on TPU already have at least one thing in common and exploring more of them is always nice and can give some insight into what members like to do in their spare time outside of technology.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Essentially yes, I was very excited to see that beer thread as I am very close to Asheville NC which has some of the best craft beer around. Besides that though just finding like-minded people can be so difficult depending where you are located and how much free time you have. Most people on TPU already have at least one thing in common and exploring more of them is always nice and can give some insight into what members like to do in their spare time outside of technology.

But your not saying that these kind of topics should be even equal in regards to content hosted on this site right? Maybe a happy medium of some kind could be employed to keep TPU driven and rooted in technology but allow casual topics to crop up.

How do you think something like that could be accomplished?

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
But your not saying that these kind of topics should be even equal in regards to content hosted on this site right? Maybe a happy medium of some kind could be employed to keep TPU driven and rooted in technology but allow casual topics to crop up.

How do you think something like that could be accomplished?
I feel that putting them in their own section within the site but more integrated than the current incarnation of GN is would be nice. They definitely shouldn't clog up the news feed but I feel that if a topic comes up that facilitates a significant amount of interest then it should be allowed to continue in such a way that it doesn't over-shadow the technology focus for those who come solely for that. Perhaps we could have some kind of an opt-in feature to have these separate topics show up in our own news feed.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Perhaps we could have some kind of an opt-in feature to have these separate topics show up in our own news feed.

So maybe off topic threads are pre-appended even automatically with "GN" for the sake of clarity and a check box in the user CP could maybe control whether it shows up in the topic box at the top of the forum?

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
So maybe off topic threads are pre-appended even automatically with "GN" for the sake of clarity and a check box in the user CP could maybe control whether it shows up in the topic box at the top of the forum?
Something to that is exactly what I had in mind, you articulated it much better though! :toast:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Something to that is exactly what I had in mind, you articulated it much better though! :toast:

Now within the realm of possability lets for the sake of argument say that no amount of java and php skill can get xenforo to do that, how do we tackle that problem? What is a happy medium?

I find the label "General Nonsense" insulting to my intelligence. What is that meant to convey? As if anything and everything not 100% PC tech related is somehow automatically nonsense? WTF? That's dumb. Give it a new name and I might consider checking it out or posting something there. GN is stupid. And apparently its unpopularity speaks to that being true.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Now within the realm of possability lets for the sake of argument say that no amount of java and php skill can get xenforo to do that, how do we tackle that problem? What is a happy medium?
At that point maybe we could add simply add a tab at the top for GN right up there with TechPowerUp, Forums and members? If possible to integrate it though without an immense amount of work I feel that would be the most elegant solution to make the people who want it happy while not annoying those who are uninterested.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
At that point maybe we could add simply add a tab at the top for GN right up there with TechPowerUp, Forums and members? If possible to integrate it though without an immense amount of work I feel that would be the most elegant solution to make the people who want it happy while not annoying those who are uninterested.

So you would still want something like that even if GN was re-integrated with the forums as they are now? Just to raise awareness? Or do you think it just wouldn't be visible enough to get traction?

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
So you would still want something like that even if GN was re-integrated with the forums as they are now? Just to raise awareness? Or do you think it just wouldn't be visible enough to get traction?
I don't believe it would be necessary if it was re-integrated but if it ends up staying separate I think adding it to the top and making it feel more like a seamless part of TPU could help it have enough visibility to make it separate but potentially functional far more than it is currently.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
What about a "request a club" process, nice and simple, just PM a mod for consent. Rules to be laid out in post #1. After that it is just the usual report button if people arent happy.

e.g

Dear Mod

i would like to start a club regarding nicotine vaping. the purpose of the club is ..............

On a personal level---- as a hardcore fag smoker i had no interest in vape club, i visited it once and consequently its' content and tone was never an issue for me.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

This, I fully agree on, although 'tech related' doesn't need to apply IMO. If these clubs have their own 'club section' they can be non-tech related, if they're tech related, they should be part of the TPU topics that fit with the club.

For those who can read the language and want to see club management done right, check out the forums @ Tweakers.net. Every topic owner there that wants to keep a topic going, does it with dedication and the mods only need to support it from time to time. It works like a charm. And it has literally a club on any- and everything.

They're real serious about that business and been going strong, that community has so much value its unreal.

I feel that if you want a tight community, and one that suits people from all walks of life, don't stick to tech only, but let tech be the entry pass to the community. Tech's just a base to build on, let people get to know each other better through other subjects and the community will be stronger as a result. And if the club subject doesn't fit you for whatever reason, just stay away from it.

Last edited: