• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Researchers Build a CPU Without Silicon Using Carbon Nanotubes

An order of magnitude? My CPU is multiple orders faster.
Your Ryzen is also many orders faster than other CPUs made today. Computers aren't just the x86 machines we think about most of the time.
If you're around 40 or more, your PC CPU is multiple orders faster than another PC CPU you've likely owned in the past.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant.
Even if these carbon CPUs can only do very simple stuff today, they'll catch up at some point. Maybe in 5, 10 or 50 years - we don't know that. But we know their theoretical limits are far beyond what silicon offers.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Memory 32 GB 3600 MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage 2x 500 GB SSD, 2x 3 TB HDD
Case Phanteks P300A
Software Manjaro Linux, W10 if I have to
Your Ryzen is also many orders faster than other CPUs made today. Computers aren't just the x86 machines we think about most of the time.
If you're around 40 or more, your PC CPU is multiple orders faster than another PC CPU you've likely owned in the past.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant.
Even if these carbon CPUs can only do very simple stuff today, they'll catch up at some point. Maybe in 5, 10 or 50 years - we don't know that. But we know their theoretical limits are far beyond what silicon offers.
Well yes, I hope new technologies will catch up to and surpass current ones. I'm pointing out an error in the text, current CPUs are not AN order of magnitude faster.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm picking Quantum CPUs will be out for the consumer before this ever makes it to market

The logical way forward is more specialization. I don't think silicon is out the door anytime soon, despite all the progress made in that area. It will take several decades (!) for silicon to run out of juice for at least the consumer market. And even then it will remain relevant for a large part of that market for another decade or more. There is also a point where 'enough is enough' and its likely that sort of CPU is still easily made on silicon. We've already actually reached that point, as we notice our old CPUs do a pretty good job even today.

Within that time I do believe quantum computing and perhaps solutions such as CNT will slowly start doing 'things' but not for us lowly consumer peasants. But cryptography, for example, and perhaps for CNT, applications that rely on extremely low power use - what about space? - and aren't computationally intensive, or less time critical.

You have to consider the fact that we've become pretty good at building efficient CPUs by now, so any new material is going to have to combat a highly finetuned set of best practices and architectures. But our CPUs also rely on several factors these new materials won't rely on, or in a different way - temperature, power, packaging etc.

Last edited:
Imagine the people that made the first computer with vacuum tubes, which was order of magnitude faster and much quieter than previous computer using mechanical relays:
"THIS IS THE FUTURE"

It was... for about 15 years.

It's absolutely amazing how come we've come in less than the lifetime of a single person.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I'm picking Quantum CPUs will be out for the consumer before this ever makes it to market
This. Time to put de x86 dinosaur out of its misery tbh. It has been along for too many years, time for a new architecture and design based on quantum tech.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Gotta love how it only took 6 comments for someone to bash Intel on an article having nothing to do with them.
OP asked for it, ignoring how inadequate does word "thrash" describe cited post.

This. Time to put de x86 dinosaur out of its misery tbh. It has been along for too many years, time for a new architecture and design based on quantum tech.
No, quantum CPUs will not replace x86. They don't support the instruction set, they can't be run in room temperature. And it makes no sense anyway.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
have you heard about the magnetic cooling ???

Yeah, I've heard about multiple ways of cooling an object to near 0K. :) That's a fairly common problem in physics.
Any way you do this, you need a lot of energy (and time!) to cool the chip to near 0K - not to mention making it stay there under load.

But that's hardly relevant in this discussion. Because even if you're able to buy and run a quantum computer, it's still not a solution for general computing. Quantum processors are being developed for particular problems at which they'll be vastly superior to deterministic chips.
They will in fact work as "hardware accelerators" for particular tasks (e.g. tensor cores, hardware RNG), not standalone machines.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Yeah, I've heard about multiple ways of cooling an object to near 0K. :) That's a fairly common problem in physics.
Any way you do this, you need a lot of energy (and time!) to cool the chip to near 0K - not to mention making it stay there under load.

But that's hardly relevant in this discussion. Because even if you're able to buy and run a quantum computer, it's still not a solution for general computing. Quantum processors are being developed for particular problems at which they'll be vastly superior to deterministic chips.
They will in fact work as "hardware accelerators" for particular tasks (e.g. tensor cores, hardware RNG), not standalone machines.
Relevant, really? The size of the cooling solution shown in the article matters, quantum computers currently require a huge elaborate system. The article doesnt say how much exactly power is required, and I'm sure you know more than those on the research team, and judging from the photo it can fit your bedroom closet, so it must need 440 atleast.

If you're buying a quantum computer your not buying it to use for "general computing". LOL

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Relevant, really? The size of the cooling solution shown in the article matters, quantum computers currently require a huge elaborate system. The article doesnt say how much exactly power is required, and I'm sure you know more than those on the research team, and judging from the photo it can fit your bedroom closet, so it must need 440 atleast.
It takes around 20 seconds to go from the article *you suggested* to the corporate website of this team:
https://kiutra.com
The photo in that article shows their current product - a research cryostat.
It's way too weak for a quantum processor, so we should treat its requirements as a lower limit (likely by a significant margin):
Power consumption: 6.6-7.2 kW
Cooling water: 6-9 l/min, 5-25°C

The cryostat IBM actually uses isn't much larger, but surely is a lot more advanced and expensive.

If you're buying a quantum computer your not buying it to use for "general computing". LOL
The idea that quantum computers will replace what we have today was suggested in earlier post - you've followed it.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
It takes around 20 seconds to go from the article *you suggested* to the corporate website of this team:
https://kiutra.com
The photo in that article shows their current product - a research cryostat.
It's way too weak for a quantum processor, so we should treat its requirements as a lower limit (likely by a significant margin):
Power consumption: 6.6-7.2 kW
Cooling water: 6-9 l/min, 5-25°C

The cryostat IBM actually uses isn't much larger, but surely is a lot more advanced and expensive.
View attachment 131022

The idea that quantum computers will replace what we have today was suggested in earlier post - you've followed it.
yea maybe you should have spent that 20 seconds before you replied to me, afterall, I was replying to you not what everyone else said. Misunderstandings happen when speaking generically.

yea maybe you should have spent that 20 seconds before you replied to me, afterall, I was replying to you not what everyone else said. Misunderstandings happen when speaking generically.
Replying to Prima.Vera, I said quantum computers won't replace x86 because - among other things - they need very low temperatures.
You said, quoting this particular comment, that there's something called magnetic cooling. In the following post you've also mentioned the size being somehow compact.
Is all that true? Or maybe I misunderstood something?

Let's move to the subject you started: the cooling itself. I can talk about that. Do you at least acknowledge that it's extremely hard to run these computers?
What's your opinion? What was your goal when you decided to challenge me on cryostats?
And now you're backing off in such a rough way... :eek:

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Replying to Prima.Vera, I said quantum computers won't replace x86 because - among other things - they need very low temperatures.
You said, quoting this particular comment, that there's something called magnetic cooling. In the following post you've also mentioned the size being somehow compact.
Is all that true? Or maybe I misunderstood something?

I was referring to whats in the article not anything more. The image you posted is misleading. The image from the article clearly shows how small it is and after
Let's move to the subject you started: the cooling itself. I can talk about that. Do you at least acknowledge that it's extremely hard to run these computers?
What's your opinion? What was your goal when you decided to challenge me on cryostats?
And now you're backing off in such a rough way... :eek:
You just picked a random product to use for power reference? which happens to be the largest unit they have. I'm surprised more people didnt call you out.

as for backing away, yea real life calling....

TomBattista

Haha probably not you have to hit -1,000,000 Kelvin to get Quantum CPUs to even do what they are supposed to do. We will need an Alexa sized cooler to be able to do that at home and that is many years away.
Negative 1,000,000 Kelvin? How do you get a negative value on a scale of natural numbers?