• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Retail releases instead of Steam-types for same titles. Stronger ownership?

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
No, the games are on CD/DVD. My server only has related files such as patches, serials, no-cds, etc. Currently, that only accounts for 46.7 GiB of capacity for over 300 games (and most of that comes from 500+ MiB patches for a few games). These are things that there's no sense in burning because they can often get out-dated.

All that data is redundant on the server and it gets backed up monthly to a external drive which sits in a water-proof and fire-proof safe all the time it isn't being used.

There's several games that have no patches nor DLCs like Fable III and Alpha Protocol.

Most publishers will send you a replacement disk so long as you can prove you own it and pay for S&H. It's usually $5 or less--cheaper than the montly bill for an internet connection.

I've bought dozens of games from Amazon and there was only one situation where the product was sold as new but like-new quality (never played, but seal broke). 99.0% of the time, you're getting a genuine copy of the game for under $10. Buy 3 at a time and you get them shipped to you free too. None I have recieved "didn't work." Only one I had to return because the game box itself was damaged.

Vintage being how old? I bought the 1998 StarCraft collection from Amazon not too long ago. It was sold as new and arrived factory sealed. I never buy used.

1. why bother with the discs at all? why not backup the entire game pre-patched as an iso?
2.rare is exception that proves the rule
3. oh and what shall I do when my copy of klingon academy goes bad? shall I phone interplay? lol Beyond that I dare you to try that with activision. No I think I'll keep my digital copies of my games I bought retail.
4. so you're talking games you can still get normally off of any retail shelf. Steam has things like star wars dark forces original that you're looking at a used copy not matter what if you want a physical copy
5. blizzard still produces copies of that game, again an exception that proves the rule, take star wars dark forces for instance, the only way steam has it is due to lucasarts making it available from the archives, otherwise there's no way to pull a current retail copy. And there's no way the few companies that are still around are going to bother remanufacturing those disks. It's way easier to provide the game in digital form.

Majority of the games on my wishlist on Amazon are 9/10 direct from Amazon or from a store selling a game, i.e. inetvideo, and not from another seller on the Marketplace. Usually a company compared to a third hand seller.
Sorry to disappoint but all second hand games, even new direct from Amazon, have been in very great to sealed condition. It's not a gamble if tons of the titles are directly from Amazons warehouse. Thanks for portraying me to be an idiot for buying allegedly overly scratched discs in the past when well nevermind, people simply just don't give a fuck if others prefer a factory sealed release of a game or not.

EDIT: Glad I'm being "ripped-off" for waiting for a good price for retail instead of buying it from Steam which many other suckers fall for.

your attitude in unnecessary to this discussion and I'm sorry to say takes away from the intelligence of your argument. Also in what way are we suckers? We get full access to our game, any where, anytime; We have an entire pre-patched game upon install, no extra work whatsoever; we have all serials in one place and never have to bother tracking them down; and 90% of new titles require a constant online connection anyways.

NOt so sure that steaming games is cheaper for Valve, etc. than printing and boxing them.
I mean maintaining, upgrading and running their ever growing servers isn't free, I suppose.

System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
Majority of the games on my wishlist on Amazon are 9/10 direct from Amazon or from a store selling a game, i.e. inetvideo, and not from another seller on the Marketplace. Usually a company compared to a third hand seller.
Sorry to disappoint but all second hand games, even new direct from Amazon, have been in very great to sealed condition. It's not a gamble if tons of the titles are directly from Amazons warehouse. Thanks for portraying me to be an idiot for buying allegedly overly scratched discs in the past when well nevermind, people simply just don't give a fuck if others prefer a factory sealed release of a game or not.

EDIT: Glad I'm being "ripped-off" for waiting for a good price for retail instead of buying it from Steam which many other suckers fall for.

Steam doesn't necessarily imply "sucker." Have you seen all the games that Steam offers for 50-80% or even 90% off? You just have to wait for the right time to buy.

Games that I got or were given to me on sale:
Frontlines: Fuel of War - $3.00
Plants Vs. Zombies - $3.74
Team Fortress 2 - Was $2.49 a few times and is now Free to Play as of June 23rd. I bought the Orange Box retail when it was $50.
BioShock 2 - $5
Altitude - $2.49
Dirt 2 - $5

And many more. Steam is not the Walmart of content delivery. Prices may be a little higher on some things, but:

1) Better sales
2) Steam and its services are much more useful than buying a CD and pounding at your keyboard by yourself for a few hours. Read my previous posts.
3) I'm pretty sure there isn't tax unless you live in one of those dumb states like California or a country like the UK that enforce taxes on everything.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Thanks for portraying me to be an idiot for buying allegedly overly scratched discs in the past when well nevermind, people simply just don't give a fuck if others prefer a factory sealed release of a game or not.

The irony here is palpable. You claim everyone is stupid for claimging you are buying potentially lower quality products, and then turn and make the exact same claim about them and a different option. I've noticed this trend across multiple posts and topics you have been frequenting...

System Name 01001
Processor AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz 8-Core
Motherboard ASUS SAPPHIRE 990FX R2.0
Cooling NOCTUA DH-14
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (OS & Software) and WD BLACK SERIES 3TB x6
Display(s) ASUS 23" IPS
Case COOLER MASTER Cosmos II (Black) ATX Ultra Tower
Audio Device(s) DENON 7.2 Receiver with 4K
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Steel Series Megafresh
Keyboard Microsoft Ancient POS PS/2
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 (Dual Boot)
Steam doesn't necessarily imply "sucker." Have you seen all the games that Steam offers for 50-80% or even 90% off? You just have to wait for the right time to buy.

Games that I got or were given to me on sale:
Frontlines: Fuel of War - $3.00
Plants Vs. Zombies - $3.74
Team Fortress 2 - Was $2.49 a few times and is now Free to Play as of June 23rd. I bought the Orange Box retail when it was $50.
BioShock 2 - $5
Altitude - $2.49
Dirt 2 - $5

And many more. Steam is not the Walmart of content delivery. Prices may be a little higher on some things, but:

1) Better sales
2) Steam and its services are much more useful than buying a disc and pounding at your keyboard by yourself for a few hours. Read my previous posts.
3) I'm pretty sure there isn't tax unless you live in one of those dumb states like California or a country like the UK that enforce taxes on everything.

Sorry but I fucking hate Walmart so the analogy completely falls flat this time. Again if there's a game on Steam which there's also the retail variant, I gravitate more towards wanting to buy the retail instead of Steam. Yes my incredibly fast and pompous internet connection be damned.
Guess I'm glad for living in California though since the last two games I bought in store I only had to pay $3 and some change since I had some store credit on a gift card.
Old habits, I'm still buying retail manufactured instead of Steam for all current games. I already stated in previous posts as to what I'd buy on Steam, even a retail title which is Steampowered so I can have the case, cover, manual and of course disc(s).

The irony here is palpable. You claim everyone is stupid for claiming you are buying potentially lower quality products, and then turn and make the exact same claim about them and a different option. I've noticed this trend across multiple posts and topics you have been frequenting...

Sarcasm doesn't translate well to posting it seems.:rolleyes: Steam is the more authorative "Here's what PC games you own and the ones sitting in your collection on your shelves don't mean utter shit to anyone else!" type of mentality anyway.:cry::wtf:
Do I need to take photos of all the retail games I own now instead of having a comparibly shit Steam list?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
1. why bother with the discs at all? why not backup the entire game pre-patched as an iso?
2.rare is exception that proves the rule
3. oh and what shall I do when my copy of klingon academy goes bad? shall I phone interplay? lol Beyond that I dare you to try that with activision. No I think I'll keep my digital copies of my games I bought retail.
4. so you're talking games you can still get normally off of any retail shelf. Steam has things like star wars dark forces original that you're looking at a used copy not matter what if you want a physical copy
5. blizzard still produces copies of that game, again an exception that proves the rule, take star wars dark forces for instance, the only way steam has it is due to lucasarts making it available from the archives, otherwise there's no way to pull a current retail copy. And there's no way the few companies that are still around are going to bother remanufacturing those disks. It's way easier to provide the game in digital form.
1. Because you trash the installer by doing that. Installers modify system registry as well as make sure DirectX, VC++ Runtimes, PhysX, etc. are all current in order to play the game. Not to mention, what are you going to do with the original disk that proves you own it? Disks save HDD space between formats too. :p Oh, and without the installer/registry, the game may be impossible to patch in the future because patches require that data to operate.

2. Huh? They aren't rare and it doesn't matter how you get them--they never have been patched.

3. I don't think I have ever bought anything from Activision. If you want to play it really bad, you can still buy it new for less than $15. Besides that, there's other ways to obtain images of disks to replace those that failed and burn your own replacement. The fault is on you though for not taking better care of your disks.

4. 15 new dealers available at Amazon.

5. There's several publishers (Sold-Out Software comes to mind) that buy up publishing rights for older, popular games and return it to the presses for cheap. There's only a handful of games that can't be purchased on the physical medium any more and most are actually for consoles.

System Name 01001
Cooling NOCTUA DH-14
Display(s) ASUS 23" IPS
Well too bad I'm completely shit out of luck selling my Star Wars PC games anymore since it's available on Steam now.

EDIT: Doesn't matter since I literally own hundreds more movies on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray combined over what I own for video games.

Last edited:
The games that have added value from Steam Cloud are better on steam. But i still prefer to buy retail boxed stuff if it's a big hit title. For example i'll buy Deus Ex 3 in a boxed version because, well it's the epic franchise and as such i need the boxed stuff. Same for original Deus Ex. And few others like NFS Hot Pursuit Limited Edition, Dead Space 1 and 2 (i even have the collector's edition of the second one). Etc etc. But i buy more and more games in digital form, mostly old titles on GOG even though i already own the original (beacuse of compatibility that GOG has). And on Steam, mostly indie games that cannot be bought in retail at all.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Well, I prefer Steam-only for a few reasons:

3) No SecuROM-style bullshit that always needs the disc 24/7 even though the game is completely on your HDD. They're still authentication, just done through Steam online.

The majority of the points in your post are valid, but Securom and other types of third-party DRM do exist on Steam, even though a disk is not required. Moreover, whilst Steam does provide information on third-party DRM, it is not always included immediately (Crysis 2) or completely transparent (Borderlands main game is Securom-free, but certain elements within the DLC include Securom - such information is not clearly afforded to the buyer who purchases the main game and DLC as a package).

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
This issue is the same as MP3 vs CD... and if you look at how that panned out downloads will always prevail as they are more convenient.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
It is cool that you can get on another comp and play a game you have paid for with out having the game with you.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
I reformat my machine a lot and have a very fast internet connection so steam is perfect as I can install windows, then steam and redownload the games I want to play without having to fiddle around with DVD's and serial keys.

Also it keeps them safe in one place and I can install/uninstall what I want and when I want to play it whilst being able to see the whole catalogue of owned games

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I reformat my machine a lot and have a very fast internet connection so steam is perfect as I can install windows, then steam and redownload the games I want to play without having to fiddle around with DVD's and serial keys.

Also it keeps them safe in one place and I can install/uninstall what I want and when I want to play it whilst being able to see the whole catalogue of owned games

Ah, with Steam you can go one better than that. Install Steam to a separate data only drive. Then, when you need to install Windows on the system disc, just run the Steam installer and connect to your current install.

It's just a little more than 'connecting', but you know what I mean. :) There's an FAQ about this on the Steam help system.

Therefore, no downloading necessary. Just watch out for your game saves and settings, that's all. If it's Steam cloud, your laughing. Otherwise, grab them off your profile before you wipe Windows.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
Ah, with Steam you can go one better than that. Install Steam to a separate data only drive. Then, when you need to install Windows on the system disc, just run the Steam installer and connect to your current install.

It's just a little more than 'connecting', but you know what I mean. :) There's an FAQ about this on the Steam help system.

Therefore, no downloading necessary. Just watch out for your game saves and settings, that's all. If it's Steam cloud, your laughing. Otherwise, grab them off your profile before you wipe Windows.

Nice... theres another nifty feature for those using small capacity SSD's... you can install Steam to another hardrive leaving your small OS SSD untouched:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

Its what im doing currently and it works well.

System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11
This is kinda random, but I laughed way too hard at your icon twicksisted

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
People need to stop being children, jesus. If you don't like Steam don't use it, don't sit here and call others stupid, and if you love Steam, continue to use it.

I like it for a few reasons, if said reasons aren't good enough for anyone else, I really don't care.

But it's less clutter for me, less junk my 2 year old can get into (he loves himself some shiny discs), and last but not least, Steam sales.

And thats last one deserves it's own paragraph. Cut costs how you want, but last year during Steams Spring Sales I purchased nearly 150 games for about $250 which included some extremely highly rated titles. I've bought so many games on Steam simply because of the discounts, I do not have time to play most of them. I could not have got these prices for any retail store, and I could maybe have got some slightly better deals if I want to have many games spread out through many sites, but it's convenient being all from Steam. I am extremely happy with their prices, I had very few PC games before using it.

The topic of the thread was "Stronger ownership?", like my last post here NO you do not get stronger ownership. The license is the same on all distribution forms.

The only "stronger ownership" is possibility to trade in games in physical form if they do not require previous activation thus locking out the game to a single user.

End of thread, desist talk of pros and cons of steam (off topic).

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
agreed with kurgan, but truthfully - even without the sales - Steam is simply the more convenient,
safe, all-in-one option for me. I can always re-download, auto patch, keeps track of serials.

offline mode allows you to play SP games on a second computer, while playing online on the first!

and I do not have any less ownership of my games than you do. retail discs have no more rights
than digital downloads, aside from reselling, which is a rip-off. read your EULA for once,
your disc based games are just platters, that hold the publisher's content which they allow you
to play - it doesn't matter how you get it, the end license means the same!

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
The topic of the thread was "Stronger ownership?", like my last post here NO you do not get stronger ownership. The license is the same on all distribution forms.

The only "stronger ownership" is possibility to trade in games in physical form if they do not require previous activation thus locking out the game to a single user.

End of thread, desist talk of pros and cons of steam (off topic).

Anything involving a middle man is not going to be a stronger relationship no matter what it involves. It's like asking if rabbits eat carrots. So there really is no point for discussion then.

But the difference isn't anything huge. Like digi said, you dont have a lot of rights in game games you own. Most MMO's you only own the time invested, you don't even own your characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
Sorry but I fucking hate Walmart so the analogy completely falls flat this time. Again if there's a game on Steam which there's also the retail variant, I gravitate more towards wanting to buy the retail instead of Steam. Yes my incredibly fast and pompous internet connection be damned.
Guess I'm glad for living in California though since the last two games I bought in store I only had to pay $3 and some change since I had some store credit on a gift card.
Old habits, I'm still buying retail manufactured instead of Steam for all current games. I already stated in previous posts as to what I'd buy on Steam, even a retail title which is Steampowered so I can have the case, cover, manual and of course disc(s).

Wow, okay, something magically doesn't exist now because you hate it. Fine, I'll keep getting my boxes of name-brand cereal for $2.50, 24 packs of name-brand soda for $6 and name-brand frozen pizzas for $5 when Publix charges $4.79, $8.99 and $7.69 for the exact same products. I don't need the guy to push my cart out to the car for me at Publix; I'm perfectly fine with getting my inexpensive food products and getting out of there.

I sure hope you don't "fucking hate" thieves because they do exist and they sawed off the catalytic converter on my 2002 Chevrolet S10 the other day and now I can't drive it. Thank God I saved all that money in daily necessities at Walmart so I can take it to Big Muffler and get my exhaust system fixed, eh? :nutkick:

Anyway, I disclosed in my first post that it's worth going retail for games if they have memorabilia (Fallout 3: Collector's Edition materials sit on my shelf). If you also like the cases for some reason, whatever, go do your thing. I listed the pros and cons of using Steam versus solely buying CDs, but I don't think I'll be adding any more posts to this thread because it has turned into a supposedly sarcasm-laced pissing war about whose method of playing games is better.

The majority of the points in your post are valid, but Securom and other types of third-party DRM do exist on Steam, even though a disk is not required. Moreover, whilst Steam does provide information on third-party DRM, it is not always included immediately (Crysis 2) or completely transparent (Borderlands main game is Securom-free, but certain elements within the DLC include Securom - such information is not clearly afforded to the buyer who purchases the main game and DLC as a package).

Yeah, I meant to say that they are still there in many cases, but they don't jack off with your disc for a minute or two trying to somehow prove it's a legit disc before letting you play the content. PunkBuster is still there wreaking havoc for the CoD guys on Steam, for sure. :toast:

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
1. Because you trash the installer by doing that. Installers modify system registry as well as make sure DirectX, VC++ Runtimes, PhysX, etc. are all current in order to play the game. Not to mention, what are you going to do with the original disk that proves you own it? Disks save HDD space between formats too. :p Oh, and without the installer/registry, the game may be impossible to patch in the future because patches require that data to operate.

2. Huh? They aren't rare and it doesn't matter how you get them--they never have been patched.

3. I don't think I have ever bought anything from Activision. If you want to play it really bad, you can still buy it new for less than $15. Besides that, there's other ways to obtain images of disks to replace those that failed and burn your own replacement. The fault is on you though for not taking better care of your disks.

4. 15 new dealers available at Amazon.

5. There's several publishers (Sold-Out Software comes to mind) that buy up publishing rights for older, popular games and return it to the presses for cheap. There's only a handful of games that can't be purchased on the physical medium any more and most are actually for consoles.

1. dunno what you're using, but no you don't trash the installer by ding it, by evidence of my 100+ games on my server that I've done this with that work without issue. And hwat do you mean? the discs are in their cases? Why, where the f do you keep yours? Save hdd space? for what? look at my specs, game are on a 3tb raid, then I have a 2 tb usb drive as a backup and a 2tb raid 1 on my NAS. Formats? my games aren't on my windows drive, take one from the server realm, never install primary data on the os drive. Believe me you'll never go back after you try it.

2. the games that don't need patches are rare exceptions, not the one game you mentioned. lol

3. are you trying to prove my point? I have my copy both on disc and on my digital backup, if the disc dies yes I could buy it again, but because I already have it prepatched on an iso, I don't have to worry about that. Also don't be smarmy, my discs are in perfect condition and I take very good care of them, all of us do, so your and ray's comments are as relevant as a toyota in a ford factory. Thats not an argument, it's a poorly attempted attack. Take that "superior" care of your discs all you want they will eventually die. I don't have to explain why, you and ray and wiki that.:rolleyes:

4. brilliant, from 25$ new, 9$ like new, and .01 used. So in order to get the same deal as I did with steam, which was 7.50$ for the entire dark forces series, I have to buy a used copy of the 5 games and still end up paying more than steam...for used.

5. links?

Last edited:
System Name 01001
Cooling NOCTUA DH-14
Display(s) ASUS 23" IPS
Yeah it's fancier to buy the retail box with the game disc, manual, cover and case along with disc-key. I don't give a fuck about the excuse "It's hurting the environment." Look up Viva ECO-cases. I recycle those things and replace them with VIVA Elite cases. Oh wait, I still buy movies on Blu-ray disc instead of being a fucktard and downloading everything?
I'm glad for peoples mentality on here if a game or movie is listed on Amazon it must be used with a shitload of scratches and OMFG STEAM IS MUCH BETTAR! No, for games released from oh let's say 2000 to now I'd much rather own a physical release of it and yes I still find great prices for them. Doesn't even matter since I LITERALLY, proper usage of the word, own more movies combined on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray disc formats.
So far older games with barely any support for XP/Vista/7 including Digital ONLY titles are fine for me to grab from Steam. All others will be retail factory manufactured. Shelving be damned.

Why do I have this mindset when I pay for a 16mbps service when actually getting 30mbps and a 250GB download cap per month? The convenience for me is to install from a disc instead of downloading an entire game when the disc can be inserted in the drive etc. Yes I would really like it if more older games had more compatibility if they were on Steam. Even if I had unlimited downloads and 20TB HDD or larger I'd still buy retail over Steam if given the choice.
Mods, patches, NoDisc cracks for games I don't care about downloading. My other method to try out games besides demos and playing the console releases? I don't have any problem with it.
It's worth more for my money waiting for a title to get to a certain price then have it delivered to my mailbox/doorstep. Emulation is another story which would be considered "warez".

No fucking way was I going to look online to attempt to get ALIENS versus PREDATOR - Gold Edition RETAIL to work on either Vista or 7. Well look! Steam has this title which has the compatibility for XP/Vista/7 already embedded in the game! Good luck for titles such as System Shock 2 amongst others including Grim Fandango and many other non-Star Wars LucasArts titles.
If it isn't listed on Steam then I must never have owned it, especially when these titles are sitting collecting dust on my shelves.

The Lord of the Rings Online I bought the Collector's Edition for Mines of Moria for $10 plus a bit of tax. Sure I can install it from disc but I'd still need to download the updates to the game since it's been F2P. Premium member anyway. $20 is far too much for a Digital only version of an Expansion. With retail discs any company can have sales on them with pricing as they deem fit. If I ever had my dream company I wouldn't skimp out on retail releases and have all exclusives for them, never on any digital distribution service.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
"Steam is better"
"I prefer retail"

which of these is the objective fact? neither? ok.

so in other words, your opinion is right simply because
it's yours? you don't care what anybody else's reasons
are - it was just a thread about exclaiming retail is better
and you are too because you prefer retail. good to know.

System Name 01001
Cooling NOCTUA DH-14
Display(s) ASUS 23" IPS
"Steam is better"
"I prefer retail"

Which of these is the objective fact? Neither? Ok.

So in other words, your opinion is right simply because it's yours? You don't care what anybody else's reasons are - it was just a thread about exclaiming retail is better and you are too because you prefer retail. Good to know.

Damn right.:rockout:
Thanks for the blatant sarcasm.:rolleyes:

I trust the last post should better explain my reasoning. Retail to be purchased for games I'd rather put on the shelf. Steam for Digital ONLY titles and titles so old the Steam release readily works on XP/Vista/7. Steampowered? Still going to be retail anyway. No IDGAF about my 16mpbs/30mpbs internet connection.
There, it isn't idiotic shitloads of paragraphs this time. I could ramble on but nobody gives a fuck but myself.

Yeah I do binders sometimes. It's another thread.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I'd rather not have plastic boxes take up space on my shelf or being manufactured. I don't like plastic at all, bad for the environment. I do think that digitally distributed games should be a bit cheaper since there's no manufacturing costs.

Cheaper maybe but they do keep servers up 24\7 so you can download it at any time which cannot be cheap for any company like steam.