• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Retailers are Buying AMD RX Vega 64 at $675 Each

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
As much as I'd love to be proven wrong, I don't think there will be a consumer-segment Volta card with HBM2, only expensive Tesla or Quadro. NVIDIA will pull through using GDDR5X or GDDR6 for GeForce.

Same thought..

Thats why I wonder.. Some rumors said volta will with HBM, some said with GDDR. If Vega used GDDR, maybe the price not this high, despite all miners craziness..

actually, what was AMD purpose with HBM ?

Processor AMD R7 3800X EKWB
Motherboard Asus Tuf B450M-Pro µATX +MosfetWB (x2)
Cooling EKWB on CPU + GPU / Heatkiller 60/80 on Mosfets / Black Ice SR-1 240mm
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill DDR4 3200C14 @ ----
Video Card(s) Vega64 EKWB
Storage Samsung 512GB NVMe 3.0 x4 / Crucial P1 1TB NVMe 3.0 x2
Display(s) Asus ProArt 23" 1080p / Acer 27" 144Hz FreeSync IPS
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Power Supply SeaSonic 850W
Keyboard Ducky One TKL / MX Brown
Same thought..

Thats why I wonder.. Some rumors said volta will with HBM, some said with GDDR. If Vega used GDDR, maybe the price not this high, despite all miners craziness..

It was a real good idea at the time, but then the HBM delays and cost increases (they expected volume production by now).
You can't design a chip with a 2048bit HBM interface and just switch it to GDDR.
The lower Vega will prob all be GDDR based.

Consumer Volta is most probably going to be GDDR5X, leaving the HBM versions for the Pro Crowd.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Moar likes from AMD fanboys. Keep them coming. Meanwhile in the real world:

AMD Radeon RX 470 0.34%
AMD Radeon RX 480 0.92%

That's less than NVIDIA GeForce 840M which is a mobile only GPU which has sold less than 100K units.

RX 4XX series has been on the market for more than a year already.
RX 5XX series has been on the market for four months.

RX 570 and 580 are nowhere to be seen. Keep deluding yourself that people use modern AMD GPUs for gaming. I'd love to see this dying breed. :)

Logistics and post-sale support (warranty, returns, etc). AIBs don't have money, people and resources for that.

Where'd you pull that data from? And of course you are aware how unbelievably Ill informed it is to compare laptop gpus to desktop discrete gpus. Where are the figures for the GTX 1050/1060 for a more rational arguement? Why aren't you squaking about how intel igps outsell nearly everything and therefore must be better than everything else.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
This statement from "a source close to AMD who is very knowledgeable about the matter" is the biggest pack of lies I've ever heard. "tens of thousands of units were shipped, but ran into logistical delays" - so I guess every truck they shipped them in broke down, or all the bridges were washed out - what a coincidence! "This problem will be quickly remedied and the entire stock should be up for grabs within this week. In fact, the card has already been restocked at Newegg and Amazon, albeit at the $599 price point (Amazon’s dynamic pricing algo has already taken it above the $700 mark)" - another lie, they've never been $499 or $599, always $689 and higher, as they are right now (I've checked every day since pre-orders started). AMD is as bad at lying as they are at marketing. If you take these statements at face value, they make AMD look stupid, disbelieve them and they look like liars - ether way, they lose, especially since Vega 64 is at most a $400 card.

"There is another option AMD can try, in our opinion. It can re-launch RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 as new SKUs which come with crippled cypto-currency mining abilities (a special BIOS or something driver-level, or even something at the silicon-level), and discontinue the RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64. "

OMG how dumb are some of these tech editors. Jesus it's like some of you fundamentally do not understand mining or even basic business!

1. Vega's current gaming performance is definitely about 30% lower than it should be. Maybe it will get better, heck it almost definitely will; but right now it isn't good enough. AMD needs to move inventory to make money while they ramp up HBM2 production. The crypto-boom is a god send for AMD while they fix up their drivers!
  2. You fundamentally cannot nuke mining performance at the hardware level without destroying gaming/rendering performance. Crypto currencies are designed from the ground up to utilize GPU architectures in order to decentralize computing to the masses. Even if they found a way to "Slightly" nerf Ethereum mining performance, it wouldn't matter when you can mine 100 other f***ing coins. LOL this is a $150,000,000,000 market AMD is tapping into. Why would they not?!
  3. Crypto-currency mining isn't going anywhere! EVER! It's been 10 years lol (The internet is here to stay too btw lmao). Every time this has happened in the past AMD has made ZERO extra money even though their cards were in insane demand. It's about time they made some money. Do you guys want any R&D budget for Navi? Heck they could use money for their driver team alone!
  4. I agree AMD should do a relaunch - but it should be of AIB-cooled cards when they had Primitive Discard enabled in like 2-4 months. Right now would be insane. They can't even make enough cards to meet supply, so yeah prices are high for now.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Still wating to hear your explanation of...

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-smoke-and-mirrors.236177/page-5#post-3711427

Ive posted some results with the latest beta driver and it puts it around 36 mh/s with overclocked memory. Ive asked for actual ROI numbers and, even though youve been doing this since college, the math doesnt seem to support your claims.

Perhaps we/I am missing something...eagerly waiting your response in a couple days.

You responded with 37mhs result, but never broke down the math for this being the best at whatever the hell you were talking about.

Attachments

• duh mining.jpg
    duh mining.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 398

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

With Vega AMD went HBM2 because it [claims to have] solved many of its memory management problems using the HBCC approach, and needed a very fast, very low-latency memory sitting next to the GPU. Memory management was AMD's problem-area with GCN. So they kept working around it by throwing brute memory bandwidth to solve the problem (imagine multiple failed fetch/store ops to correctly fetch/store once). Then they realized they can't go wider than 512-bit GDDR without encountering huge power costs, not to mention running out of PCB. So they did HBM with Fury, hoping that the exotic nature of HBM, coupled with 512 GB/s bandwidth would help sell it (which it did, until NVIDIA launched Pascal).

With Vega AMD went HBM2 because it [claims to have] solved many of its memory management problems using the HBCC approach, and needed a very fast, very low-latency memory sitting next to the GPU. Memory management was AMD's problem-area with GCN. So they kept working around it by throwing brute memory bandwidth to solve the problem (imagine multiple failed fetch/store ops to correctly fetch/store once). Then they realized they can't go wider than 512-bit GDDR without encountering huge power costs, not to mention running out of PCB. So they did HBM with Fury, hoping that the exotic nature of HBM, coupled with 512 GB/s bandwidth would help sell it (which it did, until NVIDIA launched Pascal).

Pretty much exactly this. At least Fury gave them some time to optimize an architecture around HBM. Too bad their driver team can't keep up with their engineers :/

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Pretty much exactly this. At least Fury gave them some time to optimize an architecture around HBM. Too bad their driver team can't keep up with their engineers :/

Seems to be a recurring problem...

upload_2017-8-25_1-10-30.png

Seems to be a recurring problem...

View attachment 91450

Haha I know it is buddy. Although I will say it seems like AMD saw that coming. Even after the update Vega FE is competitive with the Titan that costs $200 more. So yeah the Titan now wins at some professional applications, but Vega wins at others (And these are the terrible launch drivers. They will improve substantially).

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Haha I know it is buddy. Although I will say it seems like AMD saw that coming. Even after the update Vega FE is competitive with the Titan that costs $200 more. So yeah the Titan now wins at some professional applications, but Vega wins at others (And these are the terrible launch drivers. They will improve substantially).

Re: the drivers for sure... i mean NV released a card with incomplete driver set altogether. They had a
"hey Bob that vega is looking pretty good in Maya, did... uh... did you ever add that one maya thing to the package before you sent it?"
- bob: "Ohhhhhh.... shhh... ahh. We gotta call Matt, he will figure out how to make this sound like a good thing." moment.

what in the current price of the currency that you mine is 45 mh/s or 35 mh/s mean in terms dollars per day?

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
"There is another option AMD can try, in our opinion. It can re-launch RX Vega 64 and RX Vega 56 as new SKUs which come with crippled cypto-currency mining abilities (a special BIOS or something driver-level, or even something at the silicon-level), and discontinue the RX Vega 56 and RX Vega 64. "

I'd like to see them launch the next batch with a UEFI that sets a lower voltage on chips that can do it, as this seems to reduce the power draw a lot.

Likewise the AIB partners to put one up for d/l for existing owners given it seems to be locked at the moment so folks can't currently do it themselves.

On the other topic, regarding the 3x improvement on the TitanXp, that was nothing to do with development, they already had that performance available and used on the higher grade cards and just enabled it because of competition from Vega.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Vega's current gaming performance is definitely about 30% lower than it should be. Maybe it will get better, heck it almost definitely will; but right now it isn't good enough. AMD needs to move inventory to make money while they ramp up HBM2 production. The crypto-boom is a god send for AMD while they fix up their drivers!
I see you are still in denial about Vega. This is just the same old excuse we hear every time with AMD hardware; wait a while and it will improve, but it never does. Keeping in mind that RX Vega was three months overdue, the drivers were more mature than previous generations at launch, so all the low hanging fruit is pretty much picked already…

Cryptocurrencies are pretty much irrelevant for Vega10 due to energy efficiency. Just like with datacenters, "serious" miners primarily care about energy efficiency because cooling always becomes the problem.

I see you are still in denial about Vega. This is just the same old excuse we hear every time with AMD hardware; wait a while and it will improve, but it never does. Keeping in mind that RX Vega was three months overdue, the drivers were more mature than previous generations at launch, so all the low hanging fruit is pretty much picked already

Cryptocurrencies is pretty much irrelevant for Vega10 due to energy efficiency. Just like with datacenters, "serious" miners primarily care about energy efficiency because cooling always becomes the problem.
Is it?
Quick note on primitive shaders from my end: I had a chat with AMD PR a bit ago to clear up the earlier confusion. Primitive shaders are definitely, absolutely, 100% not enabled in any current public drivers.

The manual developer API is not ready, and the automatic feature to have the driver invoke them on its own is not enabled.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1997699/

http://radeon.com/_downloads/vega-whitepaper-11.6.17.pdf

Also pseudo channel is not working as intended, maybe needs a driver or firmware update ~

Last edited:
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Yes, the low hanging fruit are all picked. The Vega you see now, is the Vega you get.
If a hardware feature is disabled, then it's because it doesn't work as intended. This is quite normal. But some of you will always interpret this as future gains, and always keep waiting for the next mythical driver to finally solve everything. If you keep waiting, we'll be buying the successor of Volta long before you get to "unleash" your Vega…

Yes, the low hanging fruit are all picked. The Vega you see now, is the Vega you get.
If a hardware feature is disabled, then it's because it doesn't work as intended. This is quite normal. But some of you will always interpret this as future gains, and always keep waiting for the next mythical driver to finally solve everything. If you keep waiting, we'll be buying the successor of Volta long before you get to "unleash" your Vega…
And you're saying you know these features are disabled in hardware, how?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Because its not active and the card is on the market right now. People are buying a card with a price and a performance metric that they know is there. The pricing and positioning is now set, which means its general performance is also set. There are exceptions to this rule, but they are so rare, I think I know of only one, and that was when Nvidia activated Shader Cache on Kepler. But even that was what, +5-7% in select titles.

Go look at the fine wine that is any older GCN card today, such as the Fury X. It has gained some performance, but again, only in select titles. The general Fury X perf level is still where it was at launch, +-5% depending on game.

Hell, not even AMD itself is saying Vega will go much faster, yet somehow some people still believe it will.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
I didn't say anything was disabled in hardware.
You were the one referring to a hardware feature which is (supposedly) not enabled.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro

OMG how dumb are some of these tech editors. Jesus it's like some of you fundamentally do not understand mining or even basic business!

1. Vega's current gaming performance is definitely about 30% lower than it should be. Maybe it will get better, heck it almost definitely will; but right now it isn't good enough. AMD needs to move inventory to make money while they ramp up HBM2 production. The crypto-boom is a god send for AMD while they fix up their drivers!
  2. You fundamentally cannot nuke mining performance at the hardware level without destroying gaming/rendering performance. Crypto currencies are designed from the ground up to utilize GPU architectures in order to decentralize computing to the masses. Even if they found a way to "Slightly" nerf Ethereum mining performance, it wouldn't matter when you can mine 100 other f***ing coins. LOL this is a $150,000,000,000 market AMD is tapping into. Why would they not?!
  3. Crypto-currency mining isn't going anywhere! EVER! It's been 10 years lol (The internet is here to stay too btw lmao). Every time this has happened in the past AMD has made ZERO extra money even though their cards were in insane demand. It's about time they made some money. Do you guys want any R&D budget for Navi? Heck they could use money for their driver team alone!
  4. I agree AMD should do a relaunch - but it should be of AIB-cooled cards when they had Primitive Discard enabled in like 2-4 months. Right now would be insane. They can't even make enough cards to meet supply, so yeah prices are high for now.
As long as they don't make real dedicated mining compute unit, Navi is going to be another chaotic launch with overpriced gpu. Nvidia already stated that they don't feel threatened by AMD at all. In Europe AMD got NOTHING in the 1080p budget segment, RX 570/580 are just overpriced ghost, GTX 1060 are the only thing that you can actually get in this segment.

Since i'm also doing 3d rendering I used to bet on AMD since their consummer product got more compute power, but even now the developpers find that cuda is just more mature and easy to work with. Octane renderer ? cuda only. Redshift ? same story. Cycle renderer ? the open cl version got less features. Pixar ? They developped a bunch of tools that only works with nvidia hardware. Even vray is faster with cuda than open cl. Apple only using AMD gpu ? it doesn't help that open cl on mac is not only slower than on windows and linux, it also got stability issue. Having a Nvidia gpu for creative content creation give you more options, while AMD is forcing you to look for specific option that are not always the best. Add that to the current state of the market, and that's another thing that makes amd less attractive for conssumers, and will not push developpers to work with open cl.

Even with not so great mining perfomance, Nvidia is still making a huge chunk of money, and manage to keep their brand fidelity. Meanwhile the gaming market not so happy with AMD right now, and if the price keep being inflated because of the crypto currency, AMD might win a market but lose another one.

I'm not saying that crypto should die, but AMD need to rethink their strategy.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
1. A GPU-manufacturer needs to have marketshare to give others a reason to optimize for its products.
2. Why is nvidia able to push that much FPS with the 150W GTX1070 having only 3 GPC, where we wait and wait to see AMD doing equal with GCN with 4 Engines with equal Watts?
3. I can´t build a "good in some years"-Card while needing a good and efficient card to compeet, NOW.
4. Same fault like the Bulldozer-idea... meh in some couple of month it could be widely adopted and optimized bla bla. How with inactive/broken engines and nearly no marketshare to get wide adoption and optimization?
5. being not to rigorous: if the 200W state of Vega does anytime in the future (month or years) beat the OC-Variants of the GTX1080 with same Watts, okay, better late then never. But if Vega in that state EVER gets near the FPS of 1080Ti i will be an idiot.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I think AMD was holding on to all the Vegas so they could mine themselves. When the market went down the market all of a sudden had a supply of Vega. AMD already knows they are made for mining so they jacked up the prices.

Either way Vega is a massive piece of S#!T for the price.