• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Retroware Debuts Toxic Crusaders at PAX East With Announcement Trailer

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
ANNOUNCING our newest title TOXIC CRUSADERS!! The Toxic Crusaders are back for an all-new, all-action beat 'em up for one to four local co-op players!
The Toxic Crusaders (hottest heroes of 1991) have returned for a radical, radioactive romp for a new era, featuring awesome action, crushing combos, and more toxic waste than you'll know what to do with! Developer and publisher Retroware has teamed up with Troma Entertainment to bring the Toxic Crusaders back, for an all-new, all-action beat 'em up for one to four players! Grab your mop, tutu, and attitude, and get ready to clean up the mean streets of Tromaville, one radioactive goon at a time!

Battle across seven disgusting levels rendered in vibrant pixel art as you defend Tromaville from hordes of Radiation Rangers, mutated thugs and zombie chickens. The odds might be stacked against you but with awesome powers, a winning personality, and up to four-players on your side, the Smogulan Empire's days are numbered! Choose from seven playable characters, including Toxie, No-Zone, Junkyard, Major Disaster, and Headbanger - plus, for the first time, play as Toxie's musically "gifted" girlfriend Yvonne, and the mother of all mothers, Mrs. Junko, Toxie's mom!

Take a deep breath and dive deep into an action-packed, pun-filled adventure that drags you kicking and screaming through the wonderful world of Troma Films! Enjoy cameos from gore-filled classics such as Class of Nuke 'Em High, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, and Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. - reimagined in the Saturday morning cartoon style that made this franchise so unforgettable!

When the evil Dr. Killemoff attacks, only one team of hideously deformed creatures of superhuman size and strength stands between him and his plans for global pollution: the Toxic Crusaders, Earth's last, greatest and ugliest hope for survival!

Platforms: PC/Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One & Xbox Series X|S
Release Date: Late 2023
Developed and Published by Retroware
https://retroware.com/
https://twitter.com/retroware

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard x570 Extreme 4
Cooling Deepcool AK620 Digital
Memory 2x16 Crucial 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) 4070 SUPER FE
Storage 500 GB WD SN750 / 870 Evo 500 GB / Kingston 480 GB SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34 aw3418dw / ROG Swift pg27q
Case Corsair 3000D
Power Supply Seasonic V3 1000w
Mouse Model O
Keyboard GMMK Pro w/ SP Magic Girls
Software WIndows 10 Pro
I'm glad my childhood isn't completely dead, i love this!

I'm glad my childhood isn't completely dead, i love this!

There's no alliteration, no "adjective stuffing", no nothing in this title. I'm pretty disappointed!

* "Biker Mice from Mars".
* "Street Sharks"
* "Wild West C.O.W-Boys of Moo Mesa"

And one obscure show about PreAdult Deformed Shinobi Reptiles.

------

For a proper childhood experience, this needs to be named "Cruising Crusaders of Cantaloupe", or... something like that.

Title stuffing aside, I think the trailer was pretty well done :cool:

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
As a kid who grew up playing stuff like this on consoles waaaay back when, this looks like a lot of fun and is oddly refreshing to see in these days of "every game has to be a first-person shooter/online multiplayer toxic shitfest".

As a kid who grew up playing stuff like this on consoles waaaay back when, this looks like a lot of fun and is oddly refreshing to see in these days of "every game has to be a first-person shooter/online multiplayer toxic shitfest".

Have you played River City Girls?

Its officially part of the same series as River City Ransom (the Japanese never stopped making those games, they just stopped translating them to English). River City Girls (and the upcoming River City Girls 2) continues the beat-em-up tradition with official storyline links to that old series.

Other "retro" games include Cuphead, TMNT Shredder's revenge, Jamestown.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
GG

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I had to do checkdisk on my memory cells. I've actually played the original, I could not get past the sewers...