• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reviews improvement idea

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
Nobody works even part-time. W1zzard puts in by far the most work since he writes all the programs, maintains the forums, and does reviews. I'm pretty sure he has a real job outside of Techpowerup, I just don't know what it is. If it appears someone is on the forums for hours on end, they most likely left their browser window open. Moderators get e-mail alerts for PMs just like you and e-mail alerts for reported posts. This allows us to log in for a minute or two, address a problem, and leave. We're not always waiting around.

w1z for a living as far as he told me, he makes software to anyone who pays him (freelance?), i asked him to do a software to control the world, but i'm short on money :(

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Cooling stock
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Audio Device(s) on-board
Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6GB
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit Edition
Or maybe remove all the pictures from the review in the first post? The pictures are what take so long to load and take up the most space.

you have to have pictures with a review, but maybe formated differently or in a link maybe would help. that way you put one picture in the review and a link to more views so you only load pictures if you want to see more of what it looks like.

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
People like Malware and Jimmy are close to full time, arent they? Sure they are news staff but news staff generally has people with sharp command over english, and that thair english can be very decorative, your english is 100% fine, but your style of writing is more technical than decorative. You need both.

Technical writing should be the goal of reviews. It should be written with a scientific and analytical approach in order to clearly convey the results indicated from experimentation. Colorful, creative writing is for short stories, and works of fiction. The purpose of a review, or any other technical form of writing, is to concisely, and clearly deliver as much information as possible without any ambiguity; not to entertain the reader.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I don't deny that at all but we also need to keep in mind the target audience. People from all walks of life who couldn't be having a technical know-how should learn to make informed chioces based on our reviews on-par with those readers with the technical know-how. Think about the larger section of audience.

By decorative I do not mean pretty graphics, teasing language "This card rocks!" etc, no. What I mean is that in a statement in a review like eg: "This GPU has 36 Pixel Shader units" you could hyperlink "GPU" and "Pixel Shader" in this way: "This GPU has 36 Pixel Shader units." So that key words in the first few sentences in the article could point to a reference wiki article, in a manner similar to how Wikipedia's articles are built. By doing this simple step, we empower even the most non-technical people in understanding our technical reviews better and we could build on this reputation and end up attracting both nerds and jocks to our site looking for help with purchasing computer hardware. Now It takes a very little community effort to modify each of W1z's reviews this way so people reading our reviews start thinking "here's a tech-site that makes my life easier and I don't feel inferior to those with high technical know-how"

That's all I meant by 'decorative', not a hip-hop "buy this shit yo!" or teen "this card totally rocks man!" but something that caters to the larger audience: "This GPU has 36 Pixel Shader units.".

Again I understand it would make the reader lazier and that he wouldn't have to google-out everything but if we build the TechPowerUp! Reference Wiki further, we will give a massive boost to the hitrate by such method of linking technical terms to its Reference Wiki article.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Technical writing should be the goal of reviews. It should be written with a scientific and analytical approach in order to clearly convey the results indicated from experimentation. Colorful, creative writing is for short stories, and works of fiction. The purpose of a review, or any other technical form of writing, is to concisely, and clearly deliver as much information as possible without any ambiguity; not to entertain the reader.

Ima agree. Most of us on the forums are used to the "OMG LOL THAT WAS H4X" writing style and think Therm is right. The mature users are like... ok serious time, gotta read a review. Remember W1z is a professional guys. Anyway, this is a fact sheet. It is like a lab report from school. The data, tables, and finally the analysis. (overly simplified, but you get the point).

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If this site were to switch to video reviews I would never see them.
I know that I am simply another internet user and my opinion holds about as much weight as a flea's testicle, but I can jump to the information I want in a text review in seconds and not have to sit through whatever other BS is in a video.
If I want to quote a review in a forum, I can cutnpasta an text I want.
I like Tom's reviews (as well as others), but I have never watched any website's video review.

W1z is right ... Text reviews FTW !!

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I don't deny that at all but we also need to keep in mind the target audience. People from all walks of life who couldn't be having a technical know-how should learn to make informed chioces based on our reviews on-par with those readers with the technical know-how. Think about the larger section of audience.

By decorative I do not mean pretty graphics, teasing language "This card rocks!" etc, no. What I mean is that in a statement in a review like eg: "This GPU has 36 Pixel Shader units" you could hyperlink "GPU" and "Pixel Shader" in this way: "This GPU has 36 Pixel Shader units." So that key words in the first few sentences in the article could point to a reference wiki article, in a manner similar to how Wikipedia's articles are built. By doing this simple step, we empower even the most non-technical people in understanding our technical reviews better and we could build on this reputation and end up attracting both nerds and jocks to our site looking for help with purchasing computer hardware. Now It takes a very little community effort to modify each of W1z's reviews this way so people reading our reviews start thinking "here's a tech-site that makes my life easier and I don't feel inferior to those with high technical know-how"

That's all I meant by 'decorative', not a hip-hop "buy this shit yo!" or teen "this card totally rocks man!" but something that caters to the larger audience: "This GPU has 36 Pixel Shader units.".

Again I understand it would make the reader lazier and that he wouldn't have to google-out everything but if we build the TechPowerUp! Reference Wiki further, we will give a massive boost to the hitrate by such method of linking technical terms to its Reference Wiki article.

Okay, I see what you mean. I just didn't want to see anything like, "The sun glistened on the fire engine red HD 3850 as I pulled it from the steely packaging, and foam that looked like an egg crate. As I gazed upon the card it reminded me of a sprawling futuristic metropolis, filled with towering structures and intricate roadways."

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
^almost spilled my coffee

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Or maybe remove all the pictures from the review in the first post? The pictures are what take so long to load and take up the most space.

you have to have pictures with a review, but maybe formated differently or in a link maybe would help. that way you put one picture in the review and a link to more views so you only load pictures if you want to see more of what it looks like.

He didn't mean removing pictures from the review, just from the first forum post. You still see every picture from the link supplied in the first post and it would remain the same. I love pictures, more the merrier and higher the quality the better (for a degree obviously, you run out of display resolution eventually).

What newtekie1 suggested was to have just the text of the review (with a link to full) in the forums part. Text should load quite fast (even when long), but not take space like the pictures do, that you have to scroll for eternity.

Like the idea, if it's easily doable. That would remove the annoyment that this thread was about, but still allow to quote some text part of the review. Made too general topic name, but seems it was just good, spawned some discussion :)

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging
Okay, I see what you mean. I just didn't want to see anything like, "The sun glistened on the fire engine red HD 3850 as I pulled it from the steely packaging, and foam that looked like an egg crate. As I gazed upon the card it reminded me of a sprawling futuristic metropolis, filled with towering structures and intricate roadways."

n1 Thermopylae_480, that almost sounded dirty. Like soon you were going to talk about how you looked upon caressing the towery shapes and felt the female ports on the back, just to insert the male DVI connector gently but firmly on place and then screw it tight :D

Last edited by a moderator:

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Cooling stock
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Audio Device(s) on-board

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3

:roll::roll::roll:

Thermopylae, I think you missed your calling.

System Name My Lovely PC :)
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz @3.12GHz - 1.35v/390fsb/8x multi
Motherboard Gigabyte P43-DS3L
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - MX2 paste
Memory 2GB, Team Value Ram 667 @ 780MHz
Video Card(s) ECS 8800GT 512MB @ 700/1720/2100
Storage 160GB Hitachi Deskstar/80GB Maxtor PY080L0
Display(s) Asus VH226H 22" 1920x1080
Case Eye-T
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD, AC888 8 channel audio
Power Supply 570 Watt, TRUST PSU
Software Windows 7 Beta