• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rig Upgrade: CPU, Mobo & RAM or GPU?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Take it from someone who knows,but until that person posts....save your money :)

System Name White Shark
Processor 5600x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12A Chromax
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 12gb Asus TUF OC
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB OS / 860 EVO 500 GB /860 EVO 1TB/ Seagate 1TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 3440x1440p 144hz nano-ips ultrawide
Case Phanteks P500A (White/Black)
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Seasonic 850FX focus gold 80plus
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins Core - Tenkeyless
Software W10
Dont think you have to upgrade and more with the new Intel cpus coming
out next year as well as AMD Zen. Save your money, upgrade other parts like case , ssd or maybe selling your gpus and grabbing
a new gen but your kit stills good. Rememberyou can regret just for waiting a little more and still your system isn't holding you till that time comes.

i doubt ddr3 prices will jump much, i never saw ddr2 drop to ddr3 prices & now the leftovers are still at the exact same double ddr3 price as almost a decade ago, so here i am with a 4gb desktop with a 660 that gets problematic with some of these game betas like battlefield1, i have to play them on the 570m laptop with 8gb ram

I find it hard to believe that a 3rd generation i5 wouldn't need to be upgraded, mind you I suppose my rig runs pretty great still. But I don't know I would think a 6th gen might be much faster?
believe? think? why arent you focusing on what really matters: are the games that you play running at the performance you want at the settings you want? (with a bit of wiggle room for turning down settings slightly, but avoiding dramatic visual differences... for example SSAO vs HBAO or FXAA vs MSAA, great performance gains for minor image loss), i dont think you're projecting consumerism, but it's certainly some kind of old parts anxiety that only worked in simpler times of so-called moore's law

edit: aside from your own needs, simply looking at generational cpu benchmarks will reveal the answer, stay scientific & ignore the year or 'generation' numbers

If your not comfortable by doing the OC yourself, just DL Gigabyte's own software Easytune. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4153#utility
quite the contrary, i am never comfortable with EZ anything! from my personal experience, it's a known fact that certain asus boards in 2008 overvolted too far, there are also anandtech mobo reviews that show tables of voltage vs frequency on auto compared to manual stable settings (in most cases, overclocked manual can end up using the same voltage as auto stock)

System Name BK-201
Processor Intel i7-7700K 4.20GHz
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Cooling Cryorig H7 Tower Cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB
Storage Seagate 7200rpm 2TB; Western Digital 7200rpm 1TB; Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 500GB
Display(s) AOC 24" 1080p 144hz G-Sync
Case Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart M850W Modular 850 Watts
Mouse Razer Naga Hex v2 Chroma
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate Chroma
i doubt ddr3 prices will jump much, i never saw ddr2 drop to ddr3 prices & now the leftovers are still at the exact same double ddr3 price as almost a decade ago, so here i am with a 4gb desktop with a 660 that gets problematic with some of these game betas like battlefield1, i have to play them on the 570m laptop with 8gb ram

believe? think? why arent you focusing on what really matters: are the games that you play running at the performance you want at the settings you want? (with a bit of wiggle room for turning down settings slightly, but avoiding dramatic visual differences... for example SSAO vs HBAO or FXAA vs MSAA, great performance gains for minor image loss), i dont think you're projecting consumerism, but it's certainly some kind of old parts anxiety that only worked in simpler times of so-called moore's law

edit: aside from your own needs, simply looking at generational cpu benchmarks will reveal the answer, stay scientific & ignore the year or 'generation' numbers

quite the contrary, i am never comfortable with EZ anything! from my personal experience, it's a known fact that certain asus boards in 2008 overvolted too far, there are also anandtech mobo reviews that show tables of voltage vs frequency on auto compared to manual stable settings (in most cases, overclocked manual can end up using the same voltage as auto stock)
Well most games I run just fine but they are some of them that I can't even keep a stable 60fps with all maxed, even with some settings down, like AC Syndicate and Crysis 3 are a prime exemple though it might just be the games are poorly optimized.

And yes I have already decided I'm not upgrading anything for now, I'll wait to see how the 1080 ti in benchmarks. I was only asking for suggestions on if it was worth and I got my answer.

Well most games I run just fine but they are some of them that I can't even keep a stable 60fps with all maxed, even with some settings down, like AC Syndicate and Crysis 3 are a prime exemple though it might just be the games are poorly optimized.

And yes I have already decided I'm not upgrading anything for now, I'll wait to see how the 1080 ti in benchmarks. I was only asking for suggestions on if it was worth and I got my answer.
crysis 3 does not need to be maxed, it even looks quite nice on a gtx660 & is playable on a 570m (let's call it faster than a 5770, i lost track of a more modern comparison)

when AC3 came out, it was severely cpu limited, i dont know what the situation is since then

there's another thing to note about cpus, multi gpu usually demands more of the cpu or may have very specific cpu bottlenecks at certain points of certain games (where single gpu may dip to 40fps, multi may dip to 30, but single average could be 60 & multi average could be 90)

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Storage Seagate 7200rpm 2TB; Western Digital 7200rpm 1TB; Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III 500GB
Audio Device(s) N/A
crysis 3 does not need to be maxed, it even looks quite nice on a gtx660 & is playable on a 570m (let's call it faster than a 5770, i lost track of a more modern comparison)

when AC3 came out, it was severely cpu limited, i dont know what the situation is since then

there's another thing to note about cpus, multi gpu usually demands more of the cpu or may have very specific cpu bottlenecks at certain points of certain games (where single gpu may dip to 40fps, multi may dip to 30, but single average could be 60 & multi average could be 90)
That's quite interesting, I did not know that. Though, when and how does one know when you've reached a CPU bottleneck?

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 (2x4GB)
add another kit, double you ram ...

Also I always tend to go with Gigabyte for the motherboard and gpu since I've had a good run with them so far.
me too, great quality and support! also pretty durable,

Also as major upgrade cooling could be improved, replacing your actual Hyper 212 for an prettu reliable AIO Watercooler, Thermaltake's Water 3.0 Pro its a great option, Tick 120mm rad with dual fan support, great tubing and also a pretty brave integrated pump so take a better cooler in consideration and start having some fun with your machine and some OC!

Regards,

System Name BK-201
Motherboard GA-Z270X-UG
Audio Device(s) N/A
add another kit, double you ram ...

me too, great quality and support! also pretty durable,

Also as major upgrade cooling could be improved, replacing your actual Hyper 212 for an prettu reliable AIO Watercooler, Thermaltake's Water 3.0 Pro its a great option, Tick 120mm rad with dual fan support, great tubing and also a pretty brave integrated pump so take a better cooler in consideration and start having some fun with your machine and some OC!

Regards,
I thought about both of these ideas but it doesn't seem the RAM would really benefit gaming so I decided agianst it for now, maybe I'll grab more on black friday or something I don't know. As for water cooling, I did think about that though I have literally no experience with water cooling at all. I heard you have to maintain those on a regular basis, wether it's true or not I don't know. Would you have any recommendations for good water cooling? I wouldn't want to go too expensive either though.

i wouldnt bother with water cooling, especially if you have no idea & are going to go with random forum recommendations instead of spending a month reading articles

That's quite interesting, I did not know that. Though, when and how does one know when you've reached a CPU bottleneck?
when gpu usage drops below 99%? when cpu usage on a single core is maxed out? when reducing purely gpu settings like AA or resolution results in no improvement?

it's pretty much testing & measuring hypotheses, everyone can eventually find out what different bottlenecks act like after some amount of experimenting (unless there is a horrible driver problem like nfs shift 1 on amd for the first few months, that's why experiment on multiple games)

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
@AlienIsGOD Would you recommend using turbo multipliers to overclock? Like per se

1 & 2: 4.2Ghz
3: 4Ghz
4: 3.8

So then wouldn't necessarily have to touch any of the powersaving features either.

@BlackAzrael
If you want to upgrade, look at peripherals. Maybe a new keyboard, better mouse. nice 7.1 speakers, a steering wheel if you enjoy racing games (shameless plug). . . .

Speaking of racing games, check out Dirt3 @ uPlay. Got it for free for the month. I missed out on "The Crew".

Last edited: