• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RivaTuner Statistic Server Scanline Sync

60 fps rendered 30 displayed is like triple buffered double v-sync. With Nvidia, FreeSync or not, Vsync lowers input lag.

AlexUnwinder

RivaTuner Creator
Just because the software is free does not mean it makes no money. Still I understand paying an outsourcing company to provide support is incredibly expensive.

Scanline sync functionality doesn't make any money and it is not a commercial thing. That's a hobby and feature, which I simply find interesting to develop in my free time and share with community.

are the values of what I just said in post #20 close to the reality?

The values provided there are incorrect. The purpose of scanline synchronization is to hide tearline inside vertical blanking interval. To achieve that you need to sync presentation to rasterizer position, located a few scanlines above the bottom of frame. Those few scanlines are required to render frame before it can be actually displayed. So for 1080p (with typical VTotal of 1125 scanlines) it should be somewhere inside 1125-delta range, where the delta depends on your GPU performance and application's 3D workload (read it as GPU rendering time). So there is no and won't be unified solution for everyone, you should tune it yourself for your specific system and your specific target 3D application. And yes, custom configuration can be required for each 3D application.
Also, context help for that feature in RTSS is explaining you how to interpret negative values. Positive values are explicit scanline indices, negative ones are translated to scanline index using index=VTotal-value formula. So for VTotal 1125, to start presentation lets say 25 scanlines before the end of frame you can specify 1100 and -25 to achieve exactly the same effect.

t's a free software and you have all the power not to dedicate a neat and clean release notes index in 1st page, but we also have the same right to call things by their right name, so yeah that thread is a messy one and no one asked you to do anything about it.

Everything regular user needs to know about scanline sync is reflected in the context help for that feature. Also I'm quite certain that I'm spending a lot of time daily (probably more than you spend on gaming ) on documenting everything in release notes and in the forum. But yes, I document things just once so new users need to use search a bit, if the question was already asked and answered before. Those who wish to find answers, can easily do it.

System Name 4K Master
Processor AMD 5950x
Motherboard MSI Creation x570
Cooling Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX+480GTS, Dual Pumps
Memory TridentZ DD4 64GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX3090
Storage OS: Optane 900p 480Gb, Games: Samsung 860 EVO 4Tb x3 + 970 EVO Plus 2Tb x2
Display(s) LG OLED 55C9
Case Phantecs Enthoo 719
Audio Device(s) Hyperx Cloud Orbit S
Power Supply Corsair HX1200i + CableMod Full KIt
Mouse Razer Mamba Elite
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite v2
VR HMD HP G2 v2 + Quest 2
Software Windows 11Dev Preview
Scanline sync functionality doesn't make any money and it is not a commercial thing. That's a hobby and feature, which I simply find interesting to develop in my free time and share with community.

The values provided there are incorrect. The purpose of scanline synchronization is to hide tearline inside vertical blanking interval. To achieve that you need to sync presentation to rasterizer position, located a few scanlines above the bottom of frame. Those few scanlines are required to render frame before it can be actually displayed. So for 1080p (with typical VTotal of 1125 scanlines) it should be somewhere inside 1125-delta range, where the delta depends on your GPU performance and application's 3D workload (read it as GPU rendering time). So there is no and won't be unified solution for everyone, you should tune it yourself for your specific system and your specific target 3D application. And yes, custom configuration can be required for each 3D application.
Also, context help for that feature in RTSS is explaining you how to interpret negative values. Positive values are explicit scanline indices, negative ones are translated to scanline index using index=VTotal-value formula. So for VTotal 1125, to start presentation lets say 25 scanlines before the end of frame you can specify 1100 and -25 to achieve exactly the same effect.

Everything regular user needs to know about scanline sync is reflected in the context help for that feature. Also I'm quite certain that I'm spending a lot of time daily (probably more than you spend on gaming ) on documenting everything in release notes and in the forum. But yes, I document things just once so new users need to use search a bit, if the question was already asked and answered before. Those who wish to find answers, can easily do it.

Hi,
If 1125 is the value for full HD, which one to use for 4K?

Thanks

AlexUnwinder

RivaTuner Creator
Hi,
If 1125 is the value for full HD, which one to use for 4K?

Thanks

You don't have to care about VTotal and absolute scanline indices, that's exactly why negative values support was introduced. -100 means that you present a frame exactly 100 scanlines before the end of vertical blanking interval.