• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROCCAT Kave 5.1 Gaming Headset

ROCCAT Kave 5.1 is the name of a new surround sound headset. The headset features a few new features and a USB powered amplifier that allows for easy control of the surround capabilities. We take the headset for a spin to see if ROCCAT managed to avoide the pitfalls commonly associated with 5.1 headset designs.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (1TB), 850 EVO SATA (500GB), WD Ultrastar (6TB)
Display(s) Asus VG279 144 Hz IPS
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Chord Hugo 2 to lots of headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime+ 850W Gold
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Software Windows 10 Pro
While I don't doubt if it is truthful or not. I have heard my fair share of gaming headsets and none of them have sounded right, this one shouldn't be an exception unless that they are really doing something different. I do think using them for music and movies and comparing them to proper headphones in the market even at the same price range is fair.

Having to compare to far superior headphones it is unavoidable to say the judgement fairly, against stuff like AD700 and HD598 there is no way you would say it is "comparable but different".

I while do not like other gaming website reviewing their gaming headsets blindly without much experience of other headphones in the market and always giving them a 9/10. Stating the sad truth while giving it a 7.8 score seems a bit strange. The cons might well be called fatal flaws, hissing amp with terrible sound quailty does not sound like something that should receive a score like that.

It has good directionality, a microphone and so on. It is the same price as the AD700s and gives a slightly better gaming experience. The downside is worse performance with stereo content.

For people who only care about gaming this headset is almost alright hence the scoring.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
thanks for the review Fred.

System Name ARiA
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2070 Super FE
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (1TB), 850 EVO SATA (500GB), WD Ultrastar (6TB)
Display(s) Asus VG279 144 Hz IPS
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Chord Hugo 2 to lots of headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime+ 850W Gold
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Software Windows 10 Pro
Was just picking on the point of there is high level of hiss which is even audible at modest volume. While I did hear some other Razer headset, while sounding terrible, they didn't have that much of a hiss.

That was a truthful review that I much preferred over mindless rave reviews, but given gaming headsets and poor sound often goes hand in hand. Comparing gaming headsets to other gaming headsets might well be a better way for readers aiming to get a pair of gaming headsets a better indication. Quite often they don't really care about getting proper headphones and only wanted to know the difference between the competitors.

Maybe a extra column on gaming headset vs gaming headset on the listening test will be a good idea? While leaving the fact that it is not going to perform as well as hi-fi stereo headphones, and giving a nice overview on it's sound verse their gaming headset competitor.

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
I was just looking for a TPU review of this headset yesterday... and poof it shows up today! Thank you for an honest review. I only need a headset for gaming and even though your review highlights this set as basiclly only being good for gaming... it looks like I will continue to hold off and see how the upcoming (hopefully not vaporware) Razer Tiamat set does.

System Name Orange_box
Processor i5-3570K (@ 4.4 Jiggahurtz ;)
Motherboard P8Z77-I DELUXE
Cooling Thermalright Archon with 2 TY-140
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengence LP (1600)
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1060 6G
Storage Samsung 850 EVO + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB WD
Display(s) Samsung 24''
Case Bitfenix Prodigy (orange)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply Corsair 750 W
Mouse Roccat Kone
Keyboard Logitech (el cheapo)
Software W10pro x64 / Manjaro XFCE x64
Benchmark Scores who cares...
I have this headset for more than a year (I think it is close to 2)... I've never had static noise issue that you mentioned in the review...
also the description of the way it sounds, is a bit mismatching my experience; I had such "hollow" and distant sounding when the headset was plugged into the on-board audio (realtek 889); but as soon as I plugged it into cheap XtremeGamer it came into life - the sound become far better... but (there is always a but :D ) for music is indeed not so good... actually sounds like the music is played somewhere far away from you - I guess that is the drawback of having 5.1 setup tuned for positioning...
I tried to game (mainly TF2 & BF:BC2) with some stereo headphones (several of them: senheizer, creative, siberia) I always prefer the Kave...

Another note: I paid 80euro for it, not 100 ;)

No thanks, Sennheiser headphones even being "just" stereo tends to perform much better than any "gaming" headphones (except rebranded Beyerdynamics.. there are around same).

Most "gaming" headphones are just lots of tacky plastick, poor drivers and similar quality cables/jacks. Simply marketing. Althought that goes for a lot of "gaming" gear.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Some considerations:

1. Had these for almost 2 years, bought for my son I don't game with headsets.
2. Where I live I got them for the equivalent of around 80Euro
3. Where I live the AD700 are almost double this price.
4. Had the hiss with the onboard Realtek, got a Xonar D1 everything is good.
5. Good mic
6. Needs EQ to sound somehow
7. Movies do sound great in 5.1 (after some EQ)
8. Got to get used to wearing them.
9. Don't use for music (advice)

As a sidenote, I also have a pair a of Senns, the HD518 entry level audiophile, same price around here and the difference is like night and day especially regarding music.

Processor i5 12400
Motherboard Giga b660m ds3h
Cooling CPU AC Freezer 34
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060TI 8GB GAMING X
Storage Samsung EVO 860 500GB
Display(s) Benq xl2411p 24" 144hz 1920*1080
Audio Device(s) Hyperx headphones + Edifier 2.0 R1850DB
Power Supply Seasonic GC500W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
The ROCCAT Kave sell for around €100. 80€ in Portugal

True 5.1 surround sound Good in movies and BC2
External USB powered amplifier Bad quality, i have RMA twice and im still waiting for the second...
Good directional positioning in games compared to price It does the work
Good quality microphone It does the work
Very good build quality Really unconfortable in the top of the head after 1h and a terrible hiss from the amp.
Microphone mute LED Too bright
Light weight What???Too heavy for sure!!!

Me and my friend dont recomend these!I have a siberia v1 and HD598, dont waste your money.

ObSo-1337

System Name ObSo1337
Processor AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.44 Ghz
Memory Cosair 4 GIG 820 Mhz 4-4-4-12 kinda stable ;D
Video Card(s) XFX HD 4890 XT 920/1100
Storage Seagate 500Gig 7200 RPM
Display(s) Samsung syncmaster 2243MWX | 32" HDTV
Case Diablo A+ Twin Turbine
Audio Device(s) Onboard 5.1
Power Supply 750w
Software Windows 7 64 Ultimate
What? I'm surprised at the bad review these headphones got. I have them and I love them. I admit it did take some time to get used to the weight but in time i grew to like the weight of the headset. The hiss coming from the amp only happens on my headset when you turn the EQ on the control box to the max settings. Keep everything but the bass at half way and you are fine.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
any idea about modding the headband to be more comfort ?? ... cause now its uncomfortable ,I have a very similar headset but from another company which maybe it did the Original design

Processor i5 12400
Motherboard Giga b660m ds3h
Cooling CPU AC Freezer 34
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060TI 8GB GAMING X
Storage Samsung EVO 860 500GB
Display(s) Benq xl2411p 24" 144hz 1920*1080
Audio Device(s) Hyperx headphones + Edifier 2.0 R1850DB
Power Supply Seasonic GC500W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
What? I'm surprised at the bad review these headphones got. I have them and I love them. I admit it did take some time to get used to the weight but in time i grew to like the weight of the headset. The hiss coming from the amp only happens on my headset when you turn the EQ on the control box to the max settings. Keep everything but the bass at half way and you are fine.

hiss problem:

Bass and vibration only works in games when i turn the "Sub" control up max + max master volume. Bass however does NOT sound solid and the vibration is pretty weak also. Also i notice a very low "hiss" sound when the headphones are on idle (if i pull out the USB the sound is gone, i assume this is caused by the amp in the headphone which makes me think it is somewhat cheap).

...also it is pretty uncomfortable and heavy to wear.

http://www.techenclave.com/topic/478605-roccat-kave-first-hand-impressions/

As i said, dont buy!;)

I tested with creative titainum, onboard, essence st and TI hd.All had the hiss!

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro

Anisotonic

I came in this review, expecting no direct comparison with its closest competitor, the Z6a, or the industry standard, the discontinued HPA2. It delivered. :banghead:

System Name INTEL/AMD
Processor I7 4790k stock / 1100T@3.8GHZ(on air)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GAMING 5 / GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 / zalmen 9900
Memory 4x4 GB 1600 / 4x4gb 1600
Video Card(s) GTX670 x2 / ATI 5870 x2
Storage 2xcorsair ssd 120gb raid0 /2x adata ssd 120gb
Display(s) 55Iinch LCD / 22inch acer
Case CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3) / Anteck 900
Power Supply Enermax 800EWT / 750 zalman
Software Win 10
I have this head set. Its good in bf3 and other 5.1 games. Who uses head sets for movies anyways? The hissing is annoying but u just have to turn down the amp untill its gone. music is bad due to 2/5.1. I say this is a gamming head set and nothing more.

Edit:You HAVE to ajust your EQ or its going to sound like poo.

Last edited:
System Name Little Bear
Processor Inten 3770K @4.4Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4-M
Cooling Thermalright Macho120 Rev.A
Memory 4x4GB Samsung LP DDR3 @ 1866MHz 9-9-9-28
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage 256GB Samsung SSD 830 + 1TB SSD 840 EVO + 2.5in 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Dell U2711
Case Silverstong SG10
Audio Device(s) USB SB Omni
Power Supply Enermax Modu 82+ 620w
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I have had these Roccat Cave headphones for well over a year now. I must say that I'm quite satisfied with their performance. I've been using these headphones with a Creative SB X-fi Elite Pro.

The hissing problem other people have mentioned is a not a problem for me. There is a certain amount of white noise but it is a constant pure white hiss and disappears whenever the computer is outputting sound.

When I first received my headphones, I tried plugging them into one of the USB ports on my motherboard but that resulted in a dreadful amount of electronic noise. Apparently the 5v supplied through the MB is not very clean. Plugging the headphones into a powered USB hub on my monitor solved this problem completely.

At one point recently I replaced my Enermax Liberty 500w PSU with an Ebermax Modu82+ 620w PSU and I had a problem with audible electronic noise making it through my sound card.

Let me digress for a second. The ROCCAT Kave headphone's amp has four sliders on it that allow you to adjust the volume of front, rear, center and subwoofer channels. The volume dial controls Windows sound volume if it is connected to the computer with the USB port; otherwise it does nothing.

Heretofore, I had been using my Kaves with these sliders essentially maxed out. Generally my volume level in Windows ranged from 8-20% As a solution, I figured out that moving these sliders to about halfway down made the electronic noise that was creeping through inaudible again. My windows volume now generally ranges from 18-50%. An added bonus is that I have quite a bit more granularity in volume control when using the Dial on the ROCCAT or on my G19 to control volume.

Lastly I did try once plugging my Kaves into the onboard sound. That was a mistake of legendary proportions. I have a Realtek ALC 890 and the electronic noise present is deafening.

I used to use Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headphones and let me tell you these are a HUGE step up in build quality, sound quality and microphone quality. Directionality in games and movies is highly satisfactory. Oh and the ROCCAT Kaves don't squish my large ears either. I recommend them.

The sound card used fra an ASUS Xonar D2X, and also the on-board on my ASUS P8P67 was used, both with same hiss level. The sound quality difference is noticeable but not a night and day difference at all.

The PSU used in the system is a brand new Corsair 650 TX unit which should provide plenty of power for the test system used.

The Speedlink Medusa headset was alright back in the day when it was launch, but I agree that the Kave's build quality is better.

grammaton_feather

[page=Introduction]
Introduction​
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ROCCAT/Kave/images/logo.jpg
ROCCAT known for their gaming products have finally launched a 5.1 surround headset. As other 5.1 headsets the Kave features a USB powered amplifier and control box that adds essential gaming features. The Kave headset has true 5.1 surround sound through eight separate drivers. Cramming four dynamic drivers into each ear cup puts severe limitations on driver size and positioning. ROCCAT have managed to get this right in a reasonably sized headset which is neat.

The Kave headset features a lot of well designed pads so the headset should remain comfortable even for extended periods of use.

Just want to clarify something for readers here... I owned the KAVE headphones over a year ago. The look, feel and construction was very nice. The most important feature (surround) totally fails. I tested them on a variety of 3d sound sources and there is absolutely nothing even close to POSITIONAL AUDIO. When you look at the pyramid layout of the drivers it's easy to understand why. Sound will never be projected in front of you. It only ever sounds like it's coming from behind or slightly to the sides. There is absolutely nothing even closely related to surround audio. It can sound spacious and I suspect that is where many noobs get confused. I sold my Kave's many months later and bought a set of Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers that provide real positional audio and sound good enough for music listening.

System Name inferKNIGHT
Processor Intel Core i5-4590
Motherboard MSI Z97i Gaming AC
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2 x 4GB DDR3-1866 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (R/G)
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 3.5GB (+0.5GB? o.O)
Storage 1 x 256GB Cricial M550, 1 x 2TB Samsung 7200.12
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T260
Case Corsair Obsidian 250D
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Software Windows 8.1.1 pro x64
Well, I'm no audiophile, but I love my pair for gaming & movies. Never notice the hiss in anything by complete silence, and only notice it increase when "Center" is increased on the amp. :ohwell:
Disappointed to see such a low review score for them here, although I do appreciate the word of someone that probably knows far more about audio than I, so thanks for the review. :cry:
Disappointed that it's not compared to other actual (and virtual) 5.1 headphones, though.

grammaton_feather

For me they fail because they simply don't produce positional audio. Nothing like 5.1 and yet that is how they are marketed. So, as good as they sound for games and movies, there is no point owning them if you wanted them for 5.1 sound. I can't fault the look, feel, the useful control box though but nevertheless I sold mine because when I pay for surround sound, I expect it to work.

System Name Orange_box
Processor i5-3570K (@ 4.4 Jiggahurtz ;)
Motherboard P8Z77-I DELUXE
Cooling Thermalright Archon with 2 TY-140
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengence LP (1600)
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1060 6G
Storage Samsung 850 EVO + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB WD
Display(s) Samsung 24''
Case Bitfenix Prodigy (orange)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply Corsair 750 W
Mouse Roccat Kone
Keyboard Logitech (el cheapo)
Software W10pro x64 / Manjaro XFCE x64
Benchmark Scores who cares...
actually when discussing audio it always ends up as very subjective subject... :laugh: different people, different experiences, different expectations...

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
hey Fred any chance you will join some loaner programs? I would like to see some DAC and Amplifier reviews :)