• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROCCAT Vulcan 120 AIMO

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
ROCCAT joins the still-exclusive club of keyboard manufacturers with their own branded switches in the Titan Linear and Titan Tactile. Their Vulcan keyboards are the first to adopt them, and today we take a look at the Vulcan 120 AIMO that aims to wow you with the feature set.

Show full review

Button

They look like a bit they could produced by Outemu ( Gaote ) ...
they also have some models with that design for the cherry Cross ...
and the Design of the Keycaps is a Fail ...

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Another Turtle Beach quality product, found at all the best Kmarts. :D

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Another Turtle Beach quality product, found at all the best Kmarts. :D

I was deeply depressed when ROCCAT, who actually made some decent stuff once, got aquired by Turtle Beach. I knew they were then totally gone from what they once had been.

Sadly, though this isn't strictly a BAD product, it doesn't shatter that notion either. It just doesn't hit the high marks they need to in build quality / feel. No surprise.

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
TPU should re-think what "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" means , at best this should be considered "Average" product.

Personally I look forward to something akin to Razer's optical laptop keyboard made into a standard desktop keyboard with the optical scissor switches, but Razer needs to change the key caps to convex one. If I've learned anything from arcade buttons it's that convex buttons are simply superior to concave ones. I'm not sure why keyboard keys don't tend to replicate that I find it rather odd. I like the low profile beveled key caps on my Cherry scissor switch keyboard quite a bit, but one area they could've improved is the center portion of them are concave rather convex which would've been more ideal. I will say convex "feels" better to rest you're fingers on the way they nestle in, but actually depressing the keys is better in reverse. I'll take either over straight up flat tile keys. On another note it should be a hybrid wired/wireless design as well kill two stones with one bird or one bird with two stones idc two bird with one stone if you must just make it.

The ROCCAT keyboard sound a bit shoddy unfortunately due to the weak key caps I mean when the review keyboard comes with a broken key cap that's a telling sign for the rest of consumers chances as well when dealing with the durability concerns of them. Honestly that part alone of the review is off putting enough to avoid it as a consumer is my feelings on the matter. Anyway dear Razer wake the f*ck up and make me my optical scissor switch desktop keyboard already. Can we like petition Razer to hurry up and make one I don't know why it wouldn't be a absolutely great keyboard to anyone that already like scissor switch keyboards especially if they get the key caps right as well.

Button

ask e.g. Flaretech ... they produce the switches , not Razer ... ( dunno if Flaretech produce for Razer , but they do for example Gigabyte/Aorus K9 [ optical ] )

ask e.g. Flaretech ... they produce the switches , not Razer ... ( dunno if Flaretech produce for Razer , but they do for example Gigabyte/Aorus K9 [ optical ] )
They are both optical switches, but one is a mechanical design while the other is a scissor switch the key travel and actuation point is entirely different between the two. That's why scissor switch keyboards in some regard are still technically better in area's. They could use improvements on the reliability side being a membrane design still which is where a optical scissor switch would improve them greatly plus that would improve the debounce as a by product as well and certainly most scissor switch keyboards weren't design as well in regard to n-key rollover for gaming either more office usage typing. They are quite quiet and a great typing experience overall quick, smooth, and accurate.

The key Razer used in it's laptop was a scissor switch key design structure with low key travel and actuation point, but optical rather than membrane so debounce time improves substantially along with key travel and actuation point relative to a Flaretech optical mechanical switch. I'm certain Razer had n-key rollover as well. About the only tweak I'd make is making the key caps themselves a bit convex and I'd make it hybrid between wired/wireless as well to offer the flexibility best of both worlds since it really wouldn't add too much additional cost especially when you're already probably paying a fair bit of premium on the optical scissor switches. Razer simply needs to step up and make a desktop version with more gamer minded convex key caps and it's got a good design win. I think a lot of non-gamer's would certainly approve of it as well programmers and office space workers for example would certainly like it quieter, quicker, and stealthier quick brown fox's flanks the chicken coup...something something type type type...