1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rome 2 Total War

Discussion in 'Games' started by ThronedFlame, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Enterprise24

Thanks Received:
    So it need very strong singlethread performance CPU.
    I doubt we must wait for Skylake and OC to 5Ghz. :toast:

Another game that is CPU limit by singlethread is Sims 3.
    When I play 2-3Sims no lag FPS 200+
    When play 16Sims it make my system like crap 7970 with 10-20FPS minimum lol. same story 1thread is heavy load.

2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
  3. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    my cpu runs rome 2 fine at 4.9 BUT its not hyper threaded, 4670k

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    @crazyeyesreaper: Your explanation was one of the best for those that aren't familiar with how TW games are coded. I've thought since RTW that they have all been primarily cpu-based...among the most cpu-dependant games of all time, with so many calculations of every man on the battlefield.

Last night I had a Roman full stack near British Confederation town held by Frisii that BC was trying to retake. Frisii had a near full stack, plus their garrison would figure in too. BC had a full stack army laying siege, and a full navy blockading, with another in support. Long and short of it was, I can't tell you how many thousands were on the battlefield, and it lagged quite a bit (altho still playable). I ctrl-alt-del to the desktop, and sure enough, it IS using 4 cores, but 3 were at about 50%, with Core 0 at 100%. If it could have gone higher it would! So basically, at 4Ghz, that one core could still basically barely keep up with the constant calculations necessary to sustain the battlefield.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. Enterprise24

Thanks Received:
    Catalyst 13.10 beta 2 seem to solve bottleneck problem.
    I see GPU usage near 100% during real time tactical mode.
    It may drop to 70-80% when units are fighting but still much better than previous driver.

Anyway CPU core #0 is still 100% load.

6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Forced to stop taxing certain provinces because of food shortage. Bringing in some troops to take care of some public order issues as well, as I'm finally at peace. Greece is now Rome's, and the Italian peninsula is secured (even the Alps).

Getting ready to connect the two through land, in the meantime (i.e. get the Balkans).

7. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    very well explained crazyeyes :toast:. i currently have a celeron 1610 2.6ghz dual core, but luckily my bday is on the 18th and i plan to get an i5 3350p 3.1ghz :). ought to help run the game and others. I'm in love with total war games and i can't wait to play this one.

Medieval 2 total war has been my favorite so far, how would you all compare Rome 2 to it? better in everyway i hope?

8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Had a separate campaign, this time as Parthia, a lot of progress has been made now.

As it stands Median Cavalry and Horse Archers (Armored or not) are the backbone of the Parthian armies...Spearmen/Swordsmen are the 'auxiliaries' so to speak LOL.

I stopped short of fully conquering Seleucid. Wanted a bit of peace, even if I were the one that made the payment (that's still weird, I curbstomp most of his satrapies and most of his armies...but peace is a low for him LOL). I wouldn't want to capture just one region of Syria, for example, so I offered peace and payment once I captured Edessa (and thus the whole Mesopotamia province).

Armenia's being friendly with me, but doesn't want any alliance, neither military nor defensive. I find it weird...considering I would easily erase Pontus if he asks for help. Oh well Armenia, you would have lasted a bit longer than Pontus if you allied with us...LOL

9. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    Yea alley system is dumb however if you DO make a client state and help them take a full province they can be massively helpful when revolts occur

As Epirus I took Pella then subdued the macedonians they took Thracia then Dacia I then I made Massillia a Client state gave them the region north of Rome so now both are solid factions one gaurds my right and the capital the other my left I am now taking Rome out. I also took the northern provinces guarding Massillia so they are safe to the North and South but can expand west into France and Spain. It has worked well so far.

10. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    how do you give a Provence to a faction?

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    you cant thanks to the dumbing down of the diplomacy options you cant gift regions anymore. You have to actively engage in war and get your alley to attack using your troops as reinforcements to help them win.

12. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    The War on the Seleucids went well. LOL. Then Athens/Sparta came next.

Even among the Greeks they were forced to choose, as some are allies to Parthia too.

They left Athens, Sparta, and Cimmeria (who had Ephesus) to fend for themselves. I promptly taken the settlements of those three, and let my allies do the clean-up in the seas (except for Sparta, they had Cosentia so I handled that bit; so I'm actually in Italy now LOL).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parthia is at max. Imperium now.

13. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    These are November screenshots I only uploaded now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are all deemed defeats with no (or barely any) chance of victory when auto-resolved. And when there was a chance, it was 2%. lol

14. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Still slightly upset at just how bad this game fell short of expectations

15. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I played this game less than I played Empire and Napoleon releases. Its not really a bad game but Rome 2 is more arcade than strategy... lol.... faceroll everything with huge armies that you can easily sustain (tons of money to pay the upkeep) is the only viable strategy

16. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    It may have fell below our expectations but it still sold better than Shogun 2 / Napoleon / Empire etc etc. So it was still a success one that made enough money that CA will continue down this path.

17. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    As expected from every game that runs a proper advertisement campaign and builds up hype. It was the FIRST time I pre-ordered a game from the Total War series and the first time I was disappointed.

18. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    Join the crowd.

Empire was a dissapointment took a year to patch it
    Napoleon was a huge improvement.
    Shogun 2 had a rocky start but was fixed the extra campaigns were much better than the base game
    Rome 2 massive dissapointment still needs more fixes Ceasar in Gaul campaign is better than Base game.

Overall the biggest problem is Rome 2 was given a 40% larger budget so they tried to make a bigger game. Sadly most of that increased budget was spent on a new office building so their you go. This means all those new cool features were incomplete and thus were stripped out or half finished.