• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Router & Modem WAN IP address questions

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Well, voice still uses IP, but nothing like video does. But yeah, it is a routing issue. If your VoIP provider can't help then sorry, but I am at a loss for suggestions. :(

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
DD-WRT might have QoS problems which is why it breaks VOIP.

Have you tried above advice? QoS On vs OFF? or DDWRT having a setting that prioritizes traffic dedicated to VOIP.
Sorry if I missed a specific mention to this.

I would if I could, but I went thru the webui twice and I see no QoS settings. The closest I see is under Firewall-Traffic Rules.

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I would if I could, but I went thru the webui twice and I see no QoS settings. The closest I see is under Firewall-Traffic Rules.

The picture in POST #1 shows a TAB at the top second row Right, next to Administration: NAT/QoS.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
:oops: I meant to say above, "voice still uses bandwidth, but nothing like video does."

Yes, that was with dd-wrt, that isn't what I'm running now due issues between that and this router. Openwrt is what has been installed now.
IIRC, I believe the TP-Links stock F/W may have had that option, but that isn't something I ever changed.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Yes, that was with dd-wrt, that isn't what I'm running now due issues between that and this router. Openwrt is what has been installed now.
IIRC, I believe the TP-Links stock F/W may have had that option, but that isn't something I ever changed.

Does it have any kind of SIP-ALG enabled? Some firmware enables SIP options and it destroys connectivity to my PBX server.

Not that I can find. My guess is, it's a command line option since this is very Linux based. The username is 'Root'. :rolleyes:
I'm going to replace this, just not sure which way I will go. It seems to be eithet stay with this name or go with Asus, but I see numerous issues with them so far, but that is another thread. ;)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I found this thread messy. In an attempt to get you better help, may I make the following suggestions:

Perhaps you could edit you first post to say you are looking for help with VOIP drops and QoS parameters with OpenWRT or your current flavor choice.
Eliminate the picture of DDWRT and indicate this is a Router (Brand and Model) issue, not a modem issue.

Someone with specific experience with VOIP dropping and OpenWRT may reply.

(I'm using Merlin on an ASUS TM-AC1900 that uses RT-AC68U firmware) I don't have/use VOIP calling.
http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

Sorry this has been a chore for you.
You also indicated your shopping for a new Router, so perhaps these suggestions are irrelevant now.
Best of luck.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am very much opposed to you editing your first post. Why? Because thread and forum followers don't get notice of post edits. Therefore, it is much better to simply add a new post to the thread.

The only time you should go back and edit a post is (1) if no one has replied yet, or (2), it does not change the context of the post.

I can't edit previous posts. The screen shot is of a Routers firmware, not of a Modem so that shouldn't be confusing.
The VoIP issue surfaced into the thread. It is NOT the reason for the thread. AFA the VoIP issues, they appear to be gone, but since they were very intermittent it's hard to tell

What is & has been is the Router re-establishing a Internet connection. After reading thru a number of other threads and user reviews on Router issues elsewhere, I have found I'm not the only one that has problem re-establishing Internet access, thou usually by the Modem dropping out one way or another. That isn't the case here AFAIK.
Further reading shows some Routers do have problems with (what I will call) this handshaking.

And yes, the thread has gone OT somewhat, most threads do to one point or another as parallel subjects & questions arise that maybe connected. And for a replacement Router, I'm looking at a TP-Link Archer C7 or a Asus RT-AC66U b1 but there are questions on both. :( Now, that is OT. ;)

Last edited:
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I can't edit previous posts. The screen shot is of a Routers firmware, not of a Modem so that shouldn't be confusing.
The VoIP issue surfaced into the thread. It is NOT the reason for the thread. AFA the VoIP issues, they appear to be gone, but since they were very intermittent it's hard to tell

What is & has been is the Router re-establishing a Internet connection. After reading thru a number of other threads and user reviews on Router issues elsewhere, I have found I'm not the only one that has problem re-establishing Internet access, thou usually by the Modem dropping out one way or another. That isn't the case here AFAIK.
Further reading shows some Routers do have problems with (what I will call) this handshaking.

And yes, the thread has gone OT somewhat, most threads do to one point or another as parallel subjects & questions arise that maybe connected. And for a replacement Router, I'm looking at a TP-Link Archer C7 or a Asus RT-AC66U b1 but there are questions on both. :( Now, that is OT. ;)

I do realize that the thread started off asking why the handshake process was not taking place between modem and router. ((paraphrased: Why do I have to reboot, shouldn't this happen on its own?)) In post #19 you said you have tried 3 different brand router firmwares, which I took as the impetus for the original post in your trying to get VOIP to stop dropping calls with your new 100Mpbs internet service.

I am unclear at this point why you suspect the router is the trouble (I assume this is not some sort of call center use) and not a faulty modem or provider issue. Router's do age and I have replaced caps inside them.

In choosing a new router, I would suggest that you get one that has a dual core chip. Perhaps you might look here as a guide:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews

If the indicator lights & the Status page in the Modem are good and the EventLog shows nothing out of the norm, why would/should I suspect the Modem?

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
If the indicator lights & the Status page in the Modem are good and the EventLog shows nothing out of the norm, why would/should I suspect the Modem?

Have you talked to the service provider to see if there are any software updates for the Modem or when they pushed the last update. Sometimes the reboot is required. Sometimes they oversell speed plans they can't deliver on. (based on distance from node... )I had this issue with Verizon on DSL at one time and I had cut outs. Spent a lot of time with service guy who rewired lots and they could not trace it easily due to a intermittent piece of bad hardware at the node that they later replaced, still a very weak signal as I was at the end of the run.

You live in NYC, correct. Lots of people sending out signals (overcrowded). Does the VOIP have a control box with Ethernet... Try going from modem to a separate switch that then goes to the VOIP device via hardwire. (don't know anything about your VOIP setup) Second output line from switch to Router. Most service providers give you 3 IP's. So 1 is VOIP and second is Router. You may need to call.

Lots of different directions to go in. You haven't pinpointed a clear path that it is the router. What's it age? Have you taken the lid off and given it a visual inspection for bad caps or overheated areas???

Last edited:
Speed isn't the issue. I have 100/10 that shows as 118/11Mbps on various speed tests including DSLReports. I never saw this before, but they also have a "Buffer Bloat" rating which Spectrum gets a 'D'. It's around 350-400ms. down and around 150ms up.
If there was any Modem F/W updates, there have been enough re-boots, getting that surely wasn't a problem. BTW, this Zoom Modem is "certified" in their 400Mbps tier (their highest that have listings for).

No, not NYC, but the exact opposite end of the state. VoIP right now is not a problem. As to the setup since you asked; the ATA is off of a port on the Router being feed as a client. I am not using it's WAN port purposely. This is only a ATA, not a eMTA (no combo Modem).

As too looking inside the Router, I probably will open it up after I get a replacement, even thou it's less than 3 years old. I do have a older R12 I could fall back on, but I'd rather wait until I get a replacement. (Yes, I have been to SmallNetBuilder, among many other sites. ;) )

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
For the real dumb question, you said you had no issues previously on the 30Mbps plan, so why the upgrade and what did you add to the mix over the previous setup? (I keep looking at post #19, just the two of you) VoIP, TiVo, phones, etc... all run OK but when you turn on the PC you loose only VoIP?
This sounds like it's the VoIP hardware. Is the PC wired or wireless,(have you tried both ways?) any issues with the PC between when you first connect and when VoIP is interrupted? What demands are on the PC when this occurs...Netflix?

Last edited:
I had an issue like this with an isp (intermittent 5% packet loss) that they never resolved. They also overbilled me since I had auto payment on (never again). I finally had to just find a new isp. They don't care.

If you have no other isp, you may have to just force them to fix it by terminating your service, waiting a week, and then signing up fresh again so they have to make sure it is working correctly before they leave. And if it isn't, tell them you don't want it and they can take it with them.

For the real dumb question, you said you had no issues previously on the 30Mbps plan, so why the upgrade and what did you add to the mix over the previous setup?
I was paying $60 for the 30Meg service. The 60 meg service is $65. It didn't take long to decide. Of course no one told me the 60meg service was $5 more than I was paying.

Then a month or two later, without telling anyone they bumped the service up to 100meg. I found this out 10+ days later by accident when downloading a bunch of files watching my 'BitMeter' ptogharm that i run at startup, level going way beyond the 60meg I was paying for. Doing some searches, I found out about the across the board increase with Charter/Spectrum/TWC.
Calling Spectrum up, I find out two weeks ago they did this.
One month later I finally get a letter in the mail telling that the service was upgraded. :kookoo:

I finally had to just find a new isp. They don't care.
Well they cared, when they got a call from the NYS PSC after I filed a complaint against them. Three hours after I placed the complaint, I received a confirmation e-mail 35 minutes after the e-mail I received a phone call. Guess who it was? ;)

Yes, they all of a sudden cared! And no, I'm not making any of that up.

That's awesome! I wish I had access to a government agency that did something about the problem we had back then.

Good to see that at least in NYS there's some consumer protection from bad ISPs.

New York has some of the best consumer protection around among other things.
Unlike most of the south that allows almost anything. There is a reason taxes are less there, you don't get what you don't pay for. ;)

New York has some of the best consumer protection around among other things.
Unlike most of the south that allows almost anything. There is a reason taxes are less there, you don't get what you don't pay for. ;)
Agreed. People sometimes forget that the tax money does actually pay for some very expensive things. I had no appreciation for how smooth the roads are in the HSV area until I moved and saw elsewhere.