• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 2060 Stutter (Help me)

This is weird IMO. We're not talking about high refresh here, 75hz is moderate and should be fine on Ryzen.

The occasional stutter from area loading, especially in open world games (note: FC5, TW3) is not uncommon even on the fastest rigs. A repeating stutter however points at a problem.

Run 3DMark Time Spy. Does it stutter?
Run 3DMark FireStrike Extreme - does it stutter?

The fact that Fast Sync reduces the stutter is counter intuitive, because as you push higher (internal) FPS, you'd expect more stutter if the CPU limited you. After all, it will not be able to keep up as well as it does at 75hz. Fast Sync is also known for the occasional somewhat longer stutter every once in a while if you cannot at least double the FPS wrt your monitor refresh rate - simply because at some point you will be out of sync briefly and its 'missing the frame' to fall back to.

Unfortunately, for the sake of finding my issue. Timespy and Firestrike run well. Firestrike does present a couple of stutters, but searching online I found those were common and in fact, both my 2060 and 1060 produce the very same stutter which occur in a couple of specific moments. Besides that, the 3dmark benchmarks run without any hiccup, thats why I am going crazy, I don't understand why I have stutter in some games and not in others, and confused because it seems the more I push the 2060, the better it behaves, where as low usage seems to be more problematic.

I am trying to overclock my ram to a higher speed and see if that helps, but I am kinda struggling with it as I have no previous experience with overclocking anything

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Unfortunately, for the sake of finding my issue. Timespy and Firestrike run well. Firestrike does present a couple of stutters, but searching online I found those were common and in fact, both my 2060 and 1060 produce the very same stutter which occur in a couple of specific moments. Besides that, the 3dmark benchmarks run without any hiccup, thats why I am going crazy, I don't understand why I have stutter in some games and not in others, and confused because it seems the more I push the 2060, the better it behaves, where as low usage seems to be more problematic.

HDD is highly suspect at this point. Especially if pure GPU bound scenarios like 3DMark run well - they also don't hit your HDD during the runs, only prior to it.

Check the SMART data on that drive as well! If you have read access errors, nuff said...

HDD is highly suspect at this point. Especially if pure GPU bound scenarios like 3DMark run well - they also don't hit your HDD during the runs.

Check the SMART data on that drive as well! If you have read access errors, nuff said...
Witcher 3 could indeed be having issues with the HDD, but my main concern right now is that the 2060 behaves worse than the 1060. Say fortnite, with both GPUs there is some stutter here and there, but the 2060 certainly has it worse. And that seems to be the case in most games. I would be fine if both cards behaved the same, but the 1060 seems to be smoother with the very same settings, with a 75 fps lock

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Witcher 3 could indeed be having issues with the HDD, but my main concern right now is that the 2060 behaves worse than the 1060. Say fortnite, with both GPUs there is some stutter here and there, but the 2060 certainly has it worse. And that seems to be the case in most games. I would be fine if both cards behaved the same, but the 1060 seems to be smoother with the very same settings, with a 75 fps lock

Did you play a game running from the SSD yet? If not, do that first. Forget about the worse than 1060 story for a minute - and by the way, that also underlines that you had this hardware problem prior to buying your new GPU.

You have to go by process of elimination here

Did you play a game running from the SSD yet? If not, do that first. Forget about the worse than 1060 story for a minute - and by the way, that also underlines that you had this hardware problem prior to buying your new GPU.

I have Destiny 2 in my SDD but still, the 1060 handles the game better than the 2060 at the very same settings ( in terms of smoothness). And maybe I did have the problem before and I didn't notice because I mostly played the same games everytime, but I just don't think the GPU upgrade should actually make things worse.

Yes, OS on SDD and games on HDD. I will try to look into it but I recently wiped my whole pc, so I doubt it is some software causing interruptions
You can do a 10-15 minutes benchmark on your SSD. Keep an eyes on the graph. If you have unusual spikes, then it's surely that the SSD is the culprit.

hornby7590

Hey mate, you are not the only one this is effecting. My 2080 super started stuttering the other day in all game! its fine in 1080p 60hz but on my new 1440p 144hz monitor its just constantly stuttering, even if i ddrop to 1080p on my new monitor it stutters.

Hey mate, you are not the only one this is effecting. My 2080 super started stuttering the other day in all game! its fine in 1080p 60hz but on my new 1440p 144hz monitor its just constantly stuttering, even if i ddrop to 1080p on my new monitor it stutters.

You should check that with MSI afterburner using the frametime graph

hornby7590

ill check it now, as far as im aware its a manufacturer issue, Nvidia have checked my NVCP & system stettings plus CPU, GPU & disk loads and temps...all fine.

ill check it now, as far as im aware its a manufacturer issue, Nvidia have checked my NVCP & system stettings plus CPU, GPU & disk loads and temps...all fine.
Manufacture?, Meaning whats your problem?
And how can I ask nvidia to check that for my system?

hornby7590

As in Aorus. Live chat them and they explain how to send system files to them through the live chat

I have done most tests capping my fps to 75 or 72 so that it stays within the right limits for g sync, but I still get drops. If I uncap the FPS i get drops, but differently... What I mean is... if I cap at 75 I may get a 0.1% drop to 20, but If I uncapp and it runs say at a 100 FPS I may get a drop to 30... so its kind of weird

But again, understanding that many monitors are G-Sync capable but not necessarily "certified" so by nVidia, how do we know that G-Sync is actually working perfectly on this unit ?

The low clocked RAM is likely having an impact on frame time latency. Ryzen benefits from faster clocked RAM. You could try running about stock clock speed, and see if it makes a difference but your going to need check the stability of the overclock. Usually there is still some headroom on any RAM I've had, the only time it gets finicky is with 4 slots populated.

But why would the stutter increase as long as he's staying under monitor's refresh rate going from the 1060 to the 2060 ?

Slutter usually associates with spikes in GPU & CPU usages. I assume you have your OS on the 120GB SSD and your game on the 1TB HDD? Anti-virus or similar programs could create interruptions which explains the drop in usages. May worth looking into.

Any decent AV should have a gaming setting which detects gaming and postpones a scan till after gaming session ends. Top end AV / Security suites usually cost ya from $5.50 to $7.50 a seat.

EDIT: just read you have games on HDD. Install TW3 on your SSD and see if the problem goes away. I think you might get lucky there. Stutter from HDD in open world games is very common and also explains the GPU usage drop.

As above ... ruled out. Games are in the same place they always were. Onmy box, I can swap boot drives from SSD to SSHD by selecting boot drive in the boot menu. The boot time on the SSD is 15.6 seconds / SSHD it's 16.5 seconds ... the 7200 rpm HD was 21.2 secs. Can detect that w/ a stopwatch but so far no user has noticed when we did the "stealth switch" . The MMO I play coupla times a week takes the exact same time till "I can move my toon" which I assume is due to server handshaking with the client. Have two installs of Witcher 3 for testing purposes. One is on a 2nd SSD different from the OS, one is on the SSHD ... so far (using 5 testers over 6 weeks) no one has noticed. Not saying that you can't record a difference w/ a stopwatch ... but the key bottleneck here is the user. While the game is loading, users are busy opening their notes, web sites with maps, whatever to pay attention to how long it loads. We have repeated this test on laptoips and desktops. If you sit down and stare at the screen running benchies, yes its obvious. We testedwith both laptops (SSD + HD versus SSHD) and desktops (SSD + SSHD / SSD + HD / SSD + SSD / SSD only / HD only) w/ 5 users over 6 weeks . Users were told that we were using new AV software (which was true, had just switched from BitDefender to Kaspersky) and to report any issues or performance impacts. In one instance (HD only), the user reported "the system seemed to be slower today on bootup but can't be sure".

On this box, Witcher 3 runs at about 80 fps and no stuttering or other issues.

Now it needs to be said that we can see a huge difference between HDs ....

a) How old is it ? How full is it ? ... Is it defragged
b) A Seagate SSHD is about 1.5 times as fast as a WD Black or 2.5 times as fast in gaming as a WD Blue.

So no I don't think it's related ... but I would echo the sentiment. If ya spent the cash on a 2060 to improve the user experience, if ya have an old 7200 rpm drive w/o a 5 year warranty, I'd spring for and $80 purchase and get a 2 TB SSHD ... relegate what you have to back up duty.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
You should check that with MSI afterburner using the frametime graph

Could you make a 60 FPS video (or better) and upload it somewhere for us to see what you mean exactly by 'stutter'? Make sure its long enough, like 2-4 minutes or so - we also need to see how long you can go without stutter.

Its a hard one to grasp and we have to go deep on this one as you've ruled out quite a few things. One type of stutter is not the other though and seeing it can point us to certain things.

hornby7590

Id imagine he is having the same problem as me! it loooks like lag but it is a stutter. Fine on a 1080p monitor but this is what you get a on a 1440p 144hz monitor

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Id imagine he is having the same problem as me! it loooks like lag but it is a stutter

That is just absolutely horrible, but that looks like a connection problem (server desync or packet loss) more than stutter. Needs to be an offline game.

The Witcher would be a perfect candidate because it also pushes CPU quite well.

Also, maybe this was already mentioned, but do you have Geforce Experience on the machine? If so, remove it. It can mess with your settings.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Might not be much help but is Xbox Game DVR disabled? Also can you try out a well known game that stutters a lot & test it on your SSD? HDD's for gaming erghh...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
holy mother of god, ive just tried offline game and its perfect. without meaning to hijack the thread why the hell im i lagging with 35down and 15 ping internet test

You're not lagging, you are desyncing. And bandwidth and latency are not as directly related as you might think - if you can send enough data across the line, any 'more' bandwidth won't help your latency. Think of it as a highway. You won't be driving faster with more lanes if you only need one. A Wifi connection can also have these problems, needs to be cabled (or much better wifi).

You should check your home network for packet loss and if that doesn't happen (as in 0% loss), call your ISP. Glad we solved that one at least ;)

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
You're not lagging, you are desyncing. And bandwidth and latency are not as directly related as you might think - if you can send enough data across the line, any 'more' bandwidth won't help your latency. Think of it as a highway. You won't be driving faster with more lanes if you only need one. A Wifi connection can also have these problems, needs to be cabled (or much better wifi).

You should check your home network for packet loss and if that doesn't happen (as in 0% loss), call your ISP. Glad we solved that one at least ;)

Yeah this is how i found out that overclocking the bclk on my board messed with my ethernet. I like how you called that just by looking at the rubber banding lol.

But again, understanding that many monitors are G-Sync capable but not necessarily "certified" so by nVidia, how do we know that G-Sync is actually working perfectly on this unit ?

But why would the stutter increase as long as he's staying under monitor's refresh rate going from the 1060 to the 2060 ?

Any decent AV should have a gaming setting which detects gaming and postpones a scan till after gaming session ends. Top end AV / Security suites usually cost ya from $5.50 to $7.50 a seat.

As above ... ruled out. Games are in the same place they always were. Onmy box, I can swap boot drives from SSD to SSHD by selecting boot drive in the boot menu. The boot time on the SSD is 15.6 seconds / SSHD it's 16.5 seconds ... the 7200 rpm HD was 21.2 secs. Can detect that w/ a stopwatch but so far no user has noticed when we did the "stealth switch" . The MMO I play coupla times a week takes the exact same time till "I can move my toon" which I assume is due to server handshaking with the client. Have two installs of Witcher 3 for testing purposes. One is on a 2nd SSD different from the OS, one is on the SSHD ... so far (using 5 testers over 6 weeks) no one has noticed. Not saying that you can't record a difference w/ a stopwatch ... but the key bottleneck here is the user. While the game is loading, users are busy opening their notes, web sites with maps, whatever to pay attention to how long it loads. We have repeated this test on laptoips and desktops. If you sit down and stare at the screen running benchies, yes its obvious. We testedwith both laptops (SSD + HD versus SSHD) and desktops (SSD + SSHD / SSD + HD / SSD + SSD / SSD only / HD only) w/ 5 users over 6 weeks . Users were told that we were using new AV software (which was true, had just switched from BitDefender to Kaspersky) and to report any issues or performance impacts. In one instance (HD only), the user reported "the system seemed to be slower today on bootup but can't be sure".

On this box, Witcher 3 runs at about 80 fps and no stuttering or other issues.

Now it needs to be said that we can see a huge difference between HDs ....

a) How old is it ? How full is it ? ... Is it defragged
b) A Seagate SSHD is about 1.5 times as fast as a WD Black or 2.5 times as fast in gaming as a WD Blue.

So no I don't think it's related ... but I would echo the sentiment. If ya spent the cash on a 2060 to improve the user experience, if ya have an old 7200 rpm drive w/o a 5 year warranty, I'd spring for and $80 purchase and get a 2 TB SSHD ... relegate what you have to back up duty.

I understand everything you say, and maybe a better HDD would improve things on some games, but right now I just want to find out if my RTX 2060 is faulty in some way, and if it is, how can I clearly show it to the seller so I can get a replacement. I may indeed have stutter related to my hard drive, but say Destiny 2. That game is in an SDD, and keeping the same graphics settings, my 1060 seems to run the game smoother and with less drops than the 2060. I am not sure if it is the card itself, or maybe its a driver issue. Keeping a check on the GPU usage during game, the 2060 tends to have a 70% usage, and when there is a drop, the usage goes to around 64%.

I also opened a ticket with MSI and they suggested to check again benchmarks with Unigine Valley, Unigine Heaven, and 3DMark. I decided to check with frametimes and compare the behavior of the 2060 and the 1060. And I found out that there was stutter in both Valley and Heaven, but it always happened in the same scenes, around the same time, and similarly for both cards. Having the 2060 slightly worse stutter. The stutter was worse the first run, and improved a little in a second run, but it was always present around the same times.

3DMark showed some stutter the first time I ran Firestrike Xtreme but after that it showed no stutter with either card.

For each card I always used DDU to uninstall drivers and install:

All the benchmark software was installed to an SDD.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I understand everything you say, and maybe a better HDD would improve things on some games, but right now I just want to find out if my RTX 2060 is faulty in some way, and if it is, how can I clearly show it to the seller so I can get a replacement. I may indeed have stutter related to my hard drive, but say Destiny 2. That game is in an SDD, and keeping the same graphics settings, my 1060 seems to run the game smoother and with less drops than the 2060. I am not sure if it is the card itself, or maybe its a driver issue. Keeping a check on the GPU usage during game, the 2060 tends to have a 70% usage, and when there is a drop, the usage goes to around 64%.

I also opened a ticket with MSI and they suggested to check again benchmarks with Unigine Valley, Unigine Heaven, and 3DMark. I decided to check with frametimes and compare the behavior of the 2060 and the 1060. And I found out that there was stutter in both Valley and Heaven, but it always happened in the same scenes, around the same time, and similarly for both cards. Having the 2060 slightly worse stutter. The stutter was worse the first run, and improved a little in a second run, but it was always present around the same times.

3DMark showed some stutter the first time I ran Firestrike Xtreme but after that it showed no stutter with either card.

For each card I always used DDU to uninstall drivers and install:

All the benchmark software was installed to an SDD.

Give us that video, and maybe we can work magic.

D

Deleted member 67555

I didn't record for msi, I just wrote down what I found. What would be the best way to record without affecting performance?
If you can also make a video with all Sync off but G-SYNC with the fps capped at 95.
Again if you have G-force experience uninstall it.
Also a screenshot of GPU-Z sensor tabs with everything including perfcap set to max and leave it open while you make the videos (in the background)