• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 2070 Spikes up to 100% usage and freezes.

ar0m

Hello all,

First and foremost, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to click on this thread. I wanted to mention that I have been beating myself over the head with this particular situation, and I really have NO idea what is going on with my computer. I built this computer a few months ago, and everything had been running fine during the initial instillation... until now... Here are my current specifications:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240P Mirage 60.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MB: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super Overclocked 8G EVO GDDR6

What have I done to try and remedy the problem? Thought you'd never ask...

1) Clean installation of Windows. -- I wanted to make sure there weren't any corrupted files that could have potentially been the culprit. I wiped out my hard drives and did a clean install, didn't help.
2) I re-seated my graphics card. Thinking that maybe the PCI-E slot was a problem, turned out that wasn't the problem either.
3) I verified that all of my drivers are up to date. From bios to GPU, everything is up to date.

Now, there are a few things that I have noticed. This problem doesn't occur when I am playing video games which is really mind boggling. The only time this issue occurs is if I am streaming video or using Zoom. The Zoom meeting will randomly freeze; however, I can still hear people talking, I can move my mouse, and I can ctrl+alt+del, but I cannot open any applications or close them. This forces me to hard reset my computer. I don't have the ability to try a different card or different memory. I do not have those extra products to my disposal. If there is anything that you can recommend, I am all ears! The last thing I want to do is return my memory/GPU. My assumption is memory. That is the only thing I can think of at this time. Your feedback is much appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Whats your power supply?

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Open up your event viewer and post a screenshot. I know that windows 10 has been having a few bugs and some of these bugs will crash my games in the same way as well so you might be suffering from the same problem but we wont know till we see what event viewer says. youre looking for things in the 'critical' tab

ar0m

Open up your event viewer and post a screenshot. I know that windows 10 has been having a few bugs and some of these bugs will crash my games in the same way as well so you might be suffering from the same problem but we wont know till we see what event viewer says. youre looking for things in the 'critical' tab

error.jpg

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Those indicate your system is being reset or turned of at the wall
graphics issues wont be ritical

ar0m

Those indicate your system is being reset or turned of at the wall
graphics issues wont be ritical

error 2.jpg

Here is a more in depth warning issue prior to the shutdown. Thank you very much for the replies.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well I was right in saying its a bug within windows 10.....

Users report ESENT 642 warnings in Windows 10 May 2020 Update

There doesnt seem to be an official fix to the problem just like there is no official fix on the problem that crashes my games. Only solution is to roll back to an older build of windows 10 like 1908

::EDIT::

Here is the error that causes my crashing....

You can google the event ID and google will throw up tonnes of threads about it but nobody has a fix or real solution apart from telling event viewer to ignore and not report it or rolling back to an older win 10 build.

Just like your logs are filled with ESENT 642 warnings. My logs are filled with PerfNet 2004 warnings.

Last edited:

ar0m

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Here is a more in depth warning issue prior to the shutdown. Thank you very much for the replies.
Ok several points
Well I was right in saying its a bug within windows 10.....

No 1 on a bassis never trust an article like that they have a bunch o people complaining
Would you complain if there was no problem
No 2 what are those warnings before the crash
No 3 so does it lockup and require a restart Is the system in some sort of function state
Ie can remote in or is it completely dead
Edit
I also recommend that you Upgrade to the newest build of windows rather then downgrading my system has been compltly fine with 20h2

You can google the event ID and google will throw up tonnes of threads about it but nobody has a fix or real solution apart from telling event viewer to ignore and not report it or rolling back to an older win 10 build.
No 1 do you know what causes this issue
Also as i have said before you cant say Tons of threads becasuse people are not going to make a thread if they dont have the issue so calling the problem widespread based on that kind of analitics is foolish

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok several points

No 1 on a bassis never trust an article like that they have a bunch o people complaining
Would you complain if there was no problem
No 2 what are those warnings before the crash
No 3 so does it lockup and require a restart Is the system in some sort of function state
Ie can remote in or is it completely dead

No 1 do you know what causes this issue
Also as i have said before you cant say Tons of threads becasuse people are not going to make a thread if they dont have the issue so calling the problem widespread based on that kind of analitics is foolish

Alright well google ESENT 642 or PerfNet 2004 and see how many threads come up that are complaining about them

The whole internet cant be liars. its that people are making threads and other people are chiming in saying they have the same problem that means its not just some isolated incident.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Alright well google ESENT 642 or PerfNet 2004 and see how many threads come up that are complaining about them
I never said they are lying far from that
I said the people without issues Ie me are gonna make a thread saying that there is an issue
Sidenote tried upgrading 20h2

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I never said they are lying far from that
I said the people without issues Ie me are gonna make a thread saying that there is an issue
Sidenote tried upgrading 20h2

Then in that case why would you be lying to people saying you have an issue when you dont have an issue?

You blatantly told me to not trust the people that posted about having issues.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Ok ima put it real simple
10% whine on the internet
90% DONT say anything due to them not having the problem (Me)
Your gonna think its a massive widespread problem
(Like every single windows update that i have ever seen im subscribed to windows latest they have some MASSIVE PROBLEM with every major version of windows
Then in that case why would you be lying to people saying you have an issue when you dont have an issue?

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok ima put it real simple
10% whine on the internet
90% DONT say anything due to them not having the problem (Me)
Your gonna think its a massive widespread problem
(Like every single windows update that i have ever seen im subscribed to windows latest they have some MASSIVE PROBLEM with every major version of windows

Great. But how does this help the OP? Widespread doesn't mean that absolutely everyone is going to suffer from it. No windows install is ever the same as each other

ar0m

Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I have noticed a trend with the administrative events tab. Two of the major warnings that I see prior to this "freeze" are DistributedCOM and ESENT. The computer freezes; however, like I mentioned previously, I can still utilize my mouse. It doesn't completely freeze, but since my computer becomes unresponsive with any applications, I HAVE to hard restart my computer manually. I sincerely appreciate you guys helping me. This has been a head banger.

RynoMite

Experiencing the same issue. Had no problems on my Intel system, but once I swapped the 2070 into a 3900x build, I noticed crashing. I thought it was Nvidia broadcast or RTX voice at fault, but even with them uninstalled there is still instability.

ar0m

Experiencing the same issue. Had no problems on my Intel system, but once I swapped the 2070 into a 3900x build, I noticed crashing. I thought it was Nvidia broadcast or RTX voice at fault, but even with them uninstalled there is still instability.

Hey RynoMite, I was able to fix the problem. Windows came out with an update that is creating this issue, at least for me. You have to go into your event viewer and disable ESENT and DistributedCOM. Once I did that, it fixed my problem. This just so happens to be a big issue with Windows right now. If you click on the link that FredomeEclipse sent, you will gather more information there. I hope this helps, because it certainly helped me.

/edit: Nvidia driver issues with Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling are what is causing a TON of issues with the windows versions they put out for this damn GPU scheduling. Its horrid and a complete mess.

RynoMite

Have you found a way to disable ESENT without rolling back to a previous version of windows, or is it a must?

ar0m

I was able to disable it without having to roll back. You should be able to go into your settings and disable it.

RynoMite

Are you just creating a custom view for each of them? Sorry for bugging you guys so much.

ar0m

Hello @RynoMite,

I'm not sure what you are referencing. Do you mind explaining a bit more in detail? Also, you are not bugging. What bugs the most is having a computer issue you can't seem to fix! lol

RynoMite

Thanks for being so understanding lol
I'm not very familiar with event viewer, and I'm not sure what settings you're referring to. In my research the only related thing I could find was creating a Custom View under the Actions tab.
I can't see anywhere to disable either ESENT or DistributedCOM.

Just ran into my first ever blue screen lol

ar0m

Hey RynoMite.

Sorry I haven't replied. I'm currently not at my home PC. I forgot how I was able to disable them to be honest with you. I will check when I get home, but I am pretty sure the link that was provided shows you that information. :)