• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rtx 3060 ti power supply?

defrons

I have read this thread from the beginning and get curious to ask my build. I'll build Ryzen 5 3600 with Msi gaming x trio 3060 Ti, using Msi b550 mpg gaming plus,m.2 nvme 128gb, Team Gx2 512 SSD, 16gb of corsair 3200 Ram and 5argb 120mm fan.
First component I bought was the PSU which is Super flower leadex iii 550W and have gold efficiency. Is it good enough?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I have read this thread from the beginning and get curious to ask my build. I'll build Ryzen 5 3600 with Msi gaming x trio 3060 Ti, using Msi b550 mpg gaming plus,m.2 nvme 128gb, Team Gx2 512 SSD, 16gb of corsair 3200 Ram and 5argb 120mm fan.
First component I bought was the PSU which is Super flower leadex iii 550W and have gold efficiency. Is it good enough?
Yes. The first part of the thread covered that wattage and a similar system. :)

defrons

Yes. The first part of the thread covered that wattage and a similar system. :)
I dont really understand about this whole wattage things, so many seller told me that its not enough. Thankyou for the answer man!

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
well the pc was made by hp, bought earlier this year, so its like an OEM psu most likely
Scary...I was thinking Seasonic's 400W platinum, lol.

Please take a picture of the label that shows all the power and where it goes to. Should be in a table.
If it's the Omen HP 400w, it's a Lite-On made unit with a split on the 12v rail. It's also not platinum, the only HP platinum PSU I know of is 750w unless this something new from HP.

Giliarwe

So.......unless there are some 3060Ti's that have a single 8-pin, you need another power supply... Or you can use a splitter (if you absolutely have to) to see if it works.

MSI RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X OC is on single 8-pin

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...
I already said this isn't true... 33.3A/400W is the peak according to the label.

Did you read a review to figure this out or are you going off of your false 192W thought? I'm not trying to be a butthead here, but I'm not sure you have a firm grasp of this stuff/what I said. :)

The labeling tells me nothing if it is actually divided or not. ;)
It's the presentation of the labeling & not the individual label itself that should be quite telling of what this PSU is capable of. Seen plenty of these to give it a huge skepticism. So that 400 Watts figure is highly unlikely nor is it what you should go off of. Those spec numbers are very likely to be padded.
Nothing wrong with a platinum 400W PSU at all... in fact, it fits these OEMs quite well considering their typical use is just sitting there at idle (like many PCs).
While the Platinum rating itself doesn't matter, the fact that they slapped this rating on a 400 Watts PSU when it's not worth it to aquire a certification testing on a lower wattage PSU especially by an OEM is the reason that I would put much less faith on what the spec label says. I might've been more inclined to believe it more had they just slapped a more modest 80+ certification without the medals rating as that would be more logical.

It's the presentation of the labeling & not the individual label itself that should be quite telling of what this PSU is capable of. Seen plenty of these to give it a huge skepticism. So that 400 Watts figure is highly unlikely nor is it what you should go off of. Those spec numbers are very likely to be padded.
That may be true, however it also isn't 192W. The label says that 12V = 400W/33.3A. Assuming it can output that much and it's actually on a single rail (or the OCP is high enough on each rail it won't be an issue) that PSU should work (assuming it has all the connectors it needs).
While the Platinum rating itself doesn't matter, the fact that they slapped this rating on a 400 Watts PSU when it's not worth it to aquire a certification testing on a lower wattage PSU especially by an OEM is the reason that I would put much less faith on what the spec label says. I might've been more inclined to believe it more had they just slapped a more modest 80+ certification without the medals rating as that would be more logical.
I don't see a problem with speccing a 400W PSU as platinum in the least...especially for an OEM machine. Sorry man, the information isn't leading me down the same path.

I have the same reservations about it, however.

Reactions: Rei

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
That may be true, however it also isn't 192W. The label says that 12V = 400W/33.3A. Assuming it can output that much and it's actually on a single rail (or the OCP is high enough on each rail it won't be an issue) that PSU should work (assuming it has all the connectors it needs).
I don't see a problem with speccing a 400W PSU as platinum in the least...especially for an OEM machine. Sorry man, the information isn't leading me down the same path.

To put it bluntly, the 80+ Platinum certification is bogus & the spec on the label is not to be taken at face value either.
Don't matter anyways. PSU won't likely work at full load & as you pointed out, has the proper connector.

To put it bluntly, the 80+ Platinum certification is bogus & the spec on the label is not to be taken at face value either.
The last part I can more readily believe... the first part....not so much at all. You can't just slap on an 80 Plus label to a PSU. It needs to be certified to do so. It's also HP and, as someone else noted, a Lite-On model... those aren't small companies trying to get one past the consumer. If they got busted for this it would be huge. Anything is possible, however, there's no way I could make the leap to calling it straight up bogus without any legitimate reason to believe otherwise.

Case fancier than yours

You would assume each multi-circuit split would have a proper OCP on it otherwise we may see a spark show. No way a low wattage PSU would actually have multiple 12v rails on it, especially a HP PSU, as multiple 12v sources is an old and expensive way of building 1400w+ units from years ago.
Don't matter anyways. PSU won't likely work at full load & as you pointed out, has the proper connector.
1 - has anyone even confirmed it's a platimum PSU?
2- all labels should be considered bogus (even from brands/oems like Seasonic & Corsair) until independently tested. After all a 400w 80 bronze unit rated at 25c is not in the same class as a 400w bronze unit rated at 50c. Platinum is currently a different story as the parts/design you need to hit 80 platinum would hold up better to heat but that said all 80 plus testing is done at 25-28c.

The last part I can more readily believe... the first part....not so much at all. You can't just slap on an 80 Plus label to a PSU. It needs to be certified to do so. It's also HP and, as someone else noted, a Lite-On model... those aren't small companies trying to get one past the consumer. If they got busted for this it would be huge. Anything is possible, however, there's no way I could make the leap to calling it straight up bogus without any legitimate reason to believe otherwise.
very true, lite-on is one of the largest PSU oems out there. If you work in an office with PC's & laptops, you more likely than not have a lite-on PSU/adapter in your office. If the unit really does state platinum on its label, it passed the 80 plus platinum test.

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
You didnt read the thread, did ya? :p

Yes...it will be fine...even with overclocking.

degradation is real, but you don't need a KW to drive 450W... that KW psu may put 900 (or 950, or 700) with a bit more ripple. As was said, it will vary...who knows.

More accurately it depends on the unit... but I've used my quality psus through multiple builds without issue. Watch those blanket statements
.;)

I tried to tell this to my cousin who got a 1000w PSU for a system that will barely touch 400w under load in games. He says he did it for silence....

I said great so you wasted $100+ on a PSU for a reason that can be had for damn near any PSU these days even if you get close to 100% load on them. I have never had a loud PSU and I've pushed a few too their limits.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I tried to tell this to my cousin who got a 1000w PSU for a system that will barely touch 400w under load in games. He says he did it for silence....

I said great so you wasted $100+ on a PSU for a reason that can be had for damn near any PSU these days even if you get close to 100% load on them. I have never had a loud PSU and I've pushed a few too their limits.
While he is not wrong, it's just not efficient power-wise & money-wise. A good 750 Watts PSU should also be silent for his rig. And there are other ways to drown the noise, too. At least he doesn't need to upgrade the PSU for a really long time.

1 - has anyone even confirmed it's a platimum PSU?
2- all labels should be considered bogus (even from brands/oems like Seasonic & Corsair) until independently tested. After all a 400w 80 bronze unit rated at 25c is not in the same class as a 400w bronze unit rated at 50c. Platinum is currently a different story as the parts/design you need to hit 80 platinum would hold up better to heat but that said all 80 plus testing is done at 25-28c.
1. The label says so... it's pictured above, not a question. :)
2. For major brands, I wouldn't worry about it (seasonic and corsair, especially). For others, I would.

I believe this is platinum... I have no idea if it can output its label rating... but do expect it to with a platinum rating.

I'm using a seasonic focus 550w currently with the Gigabyte 3060 ti Eagle, no problems so far ran for years with an RX480 nitro plus that draws more than the 3060ti with no issues.

May i ask which version is your Seasonic Focus? I got the same PSU and im planning to get 3060Ti as well but the problem is my PSU is the Focus plus FX version and afaik that version got some serious issues with certain GTX 970 and RX Vega.
So far no issue for me with my current GTX 1060 but im not sure if im gonna get some problems or not when im upgrading to 3060Ti

defrons

My MSI 3060 Ti gaming x trio needs 2x8pin power connector and my leadex iii 550w power supply only have 1 slot for this. Is there anyway I use this Psu?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Yes... get a splitter to make more.

Don't most PSU companies not recommend that though if the PSU doesnt have 2 ports to begin with (Below is from Seasonic)?

Last edited:
It's a 3060 Ti/200W, not a 350W monster. It will be fine. :)

If you think of it this way, 75W (pcie) and 150W (8-pin - split). That's 225W so it's in spec. I wouldn't do that with a more powerful card, however.

Case fancier than yours
My MSI 3060 Ti gaming x trio needs 2x8pin power connector and my leadex iii 550w power supply only have 1 slot for this. Is there anyway I use this Psu?
Yes... get a splitter to make more.
Don't most PSU companies not recommend that though if the PSU doesnt have 2 ports to begin with (Below is from Seasonic)?

He wouldn't even need a splitter, that unit (off the top of my head) either comes with one 6+2 & one 6 PCIe power cable or one 6+2 and two 6 PCIe power cables. Either way he just needs a six to 8 pin adapter and like earthdog said, the card is hardly that demanding.

Awesome! Yeah, I didn't look.. took his word that it only had one. :)

System Name NERV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard ASROCK B450M Steel Legend
Cooling Artic Freezer 33 One + 2x Akasa 140mm
Memory 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport 2993 MHz
Video Card(s) KFA2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Crucial Mx500 500GB + 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung C34H892
Case CM Masterbox Q300L
Audio Device(s) ALC892 + Topping D30
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse CM Mastermouse Lite S
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No bech, only game!

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
- Ryzen 5 2600x @stock
LOL!!! :roll: Did you just mismentioned a TPU member?!?
That is a cool looking design on the graphics card & I dig it, though not as awesome as the one sighted by @Mussels for the RTX 3080. I never heard of FKA2 brand before. Seems to either be an offshoot or a different branding of Galax's brand.

Nonetheless, you GPU will run fine on your rig if that is what you're asking.
How much did you get it for?

JamisGordo

Good evening, I intend to buy a 3060 TI next year and i got a question.
Will my Corsair VS500 PSU be enought for a ryzen 5 2600 + 3060 TI

Full Config:
R5 2600 Stock
3060 TI
A320M-S2H
VS500
1 SSD and 1 HDD
2 cooling fans

And do i need to change my motherboard?

850w or 1000w, minimum. Even if you dont use it all, it is always better to have a much greater wattage psu, however brand is very important here, do not cheap out on psus, check tier 1 psus.

Last edited: