• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3080 mobile power draw at over 700% of TDP according to GPU-Z

langerlarry

Hey Guys! I recently got the Razer Blade 14 2021 with the AMD Ryzen 5900HX and the RTX 3080 Mobile. While performance was ok in the beginning, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be and FPS in most games were way lower than I expected based on reviews and benchmarks I had seen.

So i did a little digging with GPU-Z and got the following readings:
1641759843818.png

I confirmed the measurements with other tools such as HWInfo, MSI Afterburner and the Nvidia Performance Overlay.

As you can see, the board power draw reading comes out to 752.7 watts, which is way too high to be realistic with a TDP of 100 watts. The value will sometimes drop to 6 watts, but there is no in-between, it is either 6 or 752.

Additionally the GPU clock will stay at 210 MHz, no matter what I do or which game I play. Only when the power draw drops to 6 watts, it will sometimes rise to 1245 MHz randomly for a short time. Addtionally, i noticed that when I "overclock" the GPU with MSI Afterburner and set the GPU clock to +400 for example, the clock will rise by the amount I put in. So in this case it would go the 600 MHz and stay there. This then also vastly improves performance and gives the FPS I would expect.

I already tried most things I found in different forums like deinstalling and reinstalling the drivers with DDU, changing power modes in Nvidia control panel, etc... but nothing seems to help.

Any idea what the problem could be here and what I could do about it? Is the sensor simply broken? Or is the power reading not even the problem but the symptom of another problem? I'd really appreciate any help!

System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
Re-check with nvidia-smi which you find in the folder mentioned in GPU-Z/advanced/WDDM/UMD driver name

Code:
nvidia-smi.exe dmon

For reference a screenshot from my 3080 laptop under load

langerlarry

Hi Stefan, I somehow missed your answer and just came back to the thread.

The nvidia.smi gives the same reading:
1662147188725.png

I tried talking to razer support but they were not really helpful and unfortunately I am out of warranty.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be or how I could fix it?

TUF FX506HEB

This might be a long shot, but check if the GPU BIOS database has a newer version of your vbios. My Asus TUF F15 laptop had the same issue, and flashing the latest bios image i found for the gpu fixed it.

compotLizergin

This might be a long shot, but check if the GPU BIOS database has a newer version of your vbios. My Asus TUF F15 laptop had the same issue, and flashing the latest bios image i found for the gpu fixed it.
bro how did you update the vbios? where you find your bios?

langerlarry

bro how did you update the vbios? where you find your bios?
I didn’t, partially because I couldn’t find one for the blade 14. I ended up sending it to Razer for out of warranty repair and they said the GPU was broken so I would have had to replace the whole motherboard (~2000$). Didn’t do that and I’ll just keep running the laptop „overclocked“ with MSI Afterburner. Works good for now, I can get up to 1050 mHz and get almost all the performance the 3080 promised.

Jayturtle

my 3060 mobile is doing the same thing the only fix i found is ddu and use the automatic drivers that microsoft installs. did you find a better fix?