• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3080 Reporting over 100% on normalised TDP limit

Mattcarbs95

My RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC is running perfectly however since all of the GPU fiasco I thought I better monitor mine not that I know a lot about TDP and power limits hence why I’m asking for help.

HWINFO64 reports this Total GPU power (normalised) (% of TDP) is 115% Total GPU power (% of TDP) is 99% Struggling to understand why one is reported at 115%. Pretty sure my card is rated up to 350 watts (I may be wrong) however I have seen it go up as high as 360 ish. Thinking this may be normal as it is a factory overclocked card however help would be massively helpful

Many thanks Matt

That’s very normal behavior, I don’t see a reason to panic, if you still want to see a lower tdp , undervolt and lower the power limit sliders , you’ll probably end up with a reference 3080 kind of performance or lower depending on the cooling

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
My guess would be there is a hyteresis on the frequency boosting behavior, so that core clocks rise and fall more smoothly and power limits can be exceeded briefly.

I think it's best that you undervolt your 3080 to around 850mV, you will not lose any performance and your 3080 will thank you (and work for longer too) :D

My RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC is running perfectly however since all of the GPU fiasco I thought I better monitor mine not that I know a lot about TDP and power limits hence why I’m asking for help.

HWINFO64 reports this Total GPU power (normalised) (% of TDP) is 115% Total GPU power (% of TDP) is 99% Struggling to understand why one is reported at 115%. Pretty sure my card is rated up to 350 watts (I may be wrong) however I have seen it go up as high as 360 ish. Thinking this may be normal as it is a factory overclocked card however help would be massively helpful

Many thanks Matt
Normalized is based on any of the input rails exceeding their stock 100% value by the greatest amount over 100%.

Unfortunately not all input rails that have a default (100%) value that report to TDP Normalized are exposed in HWinfo.

Two of them that don't are the power limits for the NVVDD and MSVDD supply voltages (this may be either a watts or amps value).
GPU voltage and SRAM voltages shown in HWinfo are VID's, not the actual supply voltages. (The supply voltages are also affected by Loadline calibration).
Increasing MSVDD or NVVDD supply voltages increases these limits obviously. But you can't change these voltages without special hardware.
MSI Afterburner's "voltage control" only controls VID. 100% on the slider only unlocks 1.087v-1.10v, allowing 1.069v to 1.10v on a new speed bin and also causes a +15 mhz clock increase as this is 1 higher speed bin. On the default (0%) bin, it's 1.056v-1.081v for the highest tier.

Hitting a normalized TDP of 100% will cause power throttling unless the TDP slider is set past 100% then normalized will "scale" with respect to this slider.
Normalized limits cannot cause throttling below 100% on the TDP slider.

Two of the most common culprits for hitting TDP Normalized 100% early, on cards that throttle before they even reach 100% TDP itself, are memory power limit (MVDDC or FBVDD) and PCIE Slot power.
At a 450W or higher power draw, it's common to hit the NVVDD or MSVDD voltage rail limits (these are not the NVVDD / NVVDD1 / NVVDD2 shown in hwinfo).

Mattcarbs95

Normalized is based on any of the input rails exceeding their stock 100% value by the greatest amount over 100%.

Unfortunately not all input rails that have a default (100%) value that report to TDP Normalized are exposed in HWinfo.

Two of them that don't are the power limits for the NVVDD and MSVDD supply voltages (this may be either a watts or amps value).
GPU voltage and SRAM voltages shown in HWinfo are VID's, not the actual supply voltages. (The supply voltages are also affected by Loadline calibration).
Increasing MSVDD or NVVDD supply voltages increases these limits obviously. But you can't change these voltages without special hardware.
MSI Afterburner's "voltage control" only controls VID. 100% on the slider only unlocks 1.087v-1.10v, allowing 1.069v to 1.10v on a new speed bin and also causes a +15 mhz clock increase as this is 1 higher speed bin. On the default (0%) bin, it's 1.056v-1.081v for the highest tier.

Hitting a normalized TDP of 100% will cause power throttling unless the TDP slider is set past 100% then normalized will "scale" with respect to this slider.
Normalized limits cannot cause throttling below 100% on the TDP slider.

Two of the most common culprits for hitting TDP Normalized 100% early, on cards that throttle before they even reach 100% TDP itself, are memory power limit (MVDDC or FBVDD) and PCIE Slot power.
At a 450W or higher power draw, it's common to hit the NVVDD or MSVDD voltage rail limits (these are not the NVVDD / NVVDD1 / NVVDD2 shown in hwinfo).
Many thanks for your detailed response and the other responses too really appreciate it. Trying to get my head around it. So with hitting 115% on the normalised is no cause for concern ?

many thanks again

Many thanks for your detailed response and the other responses too really appreciate it. Trying to get my head around it. So with hitting 115% on the normalised is no cause for concern ?

many thanks again

On non modded cards, no it's not, because every single card in that lineup with that same bios will hit that in the specific game or test you are running, if they are all at the same clock/overclock settings.

Depending on the game you're running and what you're rendering, it can create different loads on different scenes, stressing different areas of your card.

(note: this is getting sort of wordy, as it explains how a too high TDP normalized can sometimes help you find a problem with a mod).
On cards with shunt mods, it's a LOT more complicated, because you have to shunt mod EVERY "2512" shunt on the card and you need to know the power values (under any specific stress test or scene) BEFORE you modded the card, and then compare the power values AFTER you modded the card. This can be done in HWinfo's GPU sensors section. If all the values decrease by close to the same amount on the input rails, it means you did a good job on the mod. the point of a shunt mod is to make every power rail report a certain % lower power than it's supposed to report, and all the power rails should report the same decrease (they need to be balanced).

TDP Normalized% is Nvidia's power "balancing" reporting in action.

Some people have bad solder joints between the "stacked" shunts they are modding, then one power rail gets badly out of balance and reports more power to the controller chip than it's "supposed" to report.
And that rail will often cause a very high TDP Normalized power limit and a throttle.

Some people were trying to shunt mod 3090's and not modding the PCIE Slot shunt resistor. Then they were throttling at a "raw" (reported to the card bios) 200W TDP, which was a real value of 400W (you double the power reported value when you mod a 5 mOhm shunt resistor when stacking a second 5 mOhm shunt on top of it because it causes the card to report HALF the power on that particular power rail the shunt is on!), when they should only be throttling when the card is reporting an absolute maximum of 400W (this would be 800W real, you'd never reach this without LN2 cooling anyway).

The failure to mod the PCIE Slot shunt resistor caused the "memory" (MVDDC) power rail to report 225W of power draw (Note: it wasn't drawing anywhere near this, was probably about 110W), when its maximum limit is 120W, and PCIE Slot was also reporting 79W when its maximum limit was 75W. (these are not 'real' readings. The current sensing chip was auto correcting the imbalanced power due to the missing shunt mod making PCIE Slot report too high).

Because 225W over 115W is a higher PERCENTAGE overdraw, compared to 79W over 75W, TDP Normalized was reporting about 190% Normalized power, and thus a massive throttle.
(PCIE Slot was also causing a throttle event also but was overshadowed by MVDDC.

Mattcarbs95

On non modded cards, no it's not, because every single card in that lineup with that same bios will hit that in the specific game or test you are running, if they are all at the same clock/overclock settings.

Depending on the game you're running and what you're rendering, it can create different loads on different scenes, stressing different areas of your card.

(note: this is getting sort of wordy, as it explains how a too high TDP normalized can sometimes help you find a problem with a mod).
On cards with shunt mods, it's a LOT more complicated, because you have to shunt mod EVERY "2512" shunt on the card and you need to know the power values (under any specific stress test or scene) BEFORE you modded the card, and then compare the power values AFTER you modded the card. This can be done in HWinfo's GPU sensors section. If all the values decrease by close to the same amount on the input rails, it means you did a good job on the mod. the point of a shunt mod is to make every power rail report a certain % lower power than it's supposed to report, and all the power rails should report the same decrease (they need to be balanced).

TDP Normalized% is Nvidia's power "balancing" reporting in action.

Some people have bad solder joints between the "stacked" shunts they are modding, then one power rail gets badly out of balance and reports more power to the controller chip than it's "supposed" to report.
And that rail will often cause a very high TDP Normalized power limit and a throttle.

Some people were trying to shunt mod 3090's and not modding the PCIE Slot shunt resistor. Then they were throttling at a "raw" (reported to the card bios) 200W TDP, which was a real value of 400W (you double the power reported value when you mod a 5 mOhm shunt resistor when stacking a second 5 mOhm shunt on top of it because it causes the card to report HALF the power on that particular power rail the shunt is on!), when they should only be throttling when the card is reporting an absolute maximum of 400W (this would be 800W real, you'd never reach this without LN2 cooling anyway).

The failure to mod the PCIE Slot shunt resistor caused the "memory" (MVDDC) power rail to report 225W of power draw (Note: it wasn't drawing anywhere near this, was probably about 110W), when its maximum limit is 120W, and PCIE Slot was also reporting 79W when its maximum limit was 75W. (these are not 'real' readings. The current sensing chip was auto correcting the imbalanced power due to the missing shunt mod making PCIE Slot report too high).

Because 225W over 115W is a higher PERCENTAGE overdraw, compared to 79W over 75W, TDP Normalized was reporting about 190% Normalized power, and thus a massive throttle.
(PCIE Slot was also causing a throttle event also but was overshadowed by MVDDC.
Many thanks for the response slowly learning with you saying some cards that were shunt modded with throttling due to 190% TDP . Is it normal to see 115% on certain cards whilst gaming that are completely stock?

worked it out that HWinfo reports

320w standard 3080 and my cards rated up to 370w which is where it’s getting the 115% from as it’s only pulling around 368w which is a good start .

Voltage is also good news as it’s under specc only peaking 1.081.