• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX3080 signal pollution demonstration by the use of Oscilloscope

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
GPU architecture this is a complex topic.
Dedicated scientists among with electronics engineers both trying to keep thousands of signals separated from interfering to its other.
Its game frame this requiring thousands single signals them to establish an communication between GPU and with the on-board memory.

The ultimate amount of frames this is a sum of GPU processing capability and the max frequency that this is clocked at.
The faster the frequency this will aloud more single signals them to establish communication in the unit of time.
Its single signal this carrying information which eventually this will feed a single pixel in our monitor.
In a very simplistic way this is the base theory of operation.

What is signal pollution?
GPU this is an integrated circuit, this is one City full of transistors (buildings) and of roads ( highways).
The signals are the cars moving in it.
If you wish to speed up the circulation of the signals (cars) then you need to use powerful and faster transistors, then to invest more at making better quality of roads, and also to create enough distance between two roads of opposite direction.
In the world of electronics the barricade that we use to keep separate signals which has the potential to short-circuit at open air this called creepage distance.

Signal pollution within an GPU this is possible when GPU design this failed to asses correctly (predict or measure) of the isolation straight between two signals that the technology in use (silicon parts) this is capable to offer.
When signals collusion starts to occur there is no other away than to lower down the frequency to the point that the isolation straight (walls of barricade) they are capable to deliver signal immunity from foreign interference.

Some people at you-tube with low to basic understanding they did demonstrate of how a capacitor this is capable to operate as another barricade this able to reduce further the appearance of signal pollution.
The major fact here is that GPU it self by design, this is the one to fight back internally any signal pollution at 95% and that external capacitor influence this could assist at 5~10% at reducing signal pollution when the signals are traveling at the surface of the card due copper lines ( Printed circuit Board).

Demonstration by the use of Oscilloscope
This is a basic demonstration at 50.000Hz = 50 KHz
The oscilloscope this measures the signal with extreme clarity when the trigger point this is were it should be.
But when the trigger point this changes at the wrong setting, the Oscilloscope this demonstrate a wide amount of ghost signals and this phenomenon it is equal as visual presentation to what is happening at the core of RTX3080 when balance is lost at 2GHz or about there.

Written By Kiriakos Triantafillou - Maintenance industrial electrician (active freelancer) .
Founder of ITTSB.EU Industrial - Test Tools - Score Board
(Electrical test and measurement product reviews Blog since May 2012)
Volos - Greece

This is my offering to TPU an personal contribution and in recognition that this is a valuable source of information over the years, this helped and helping many generations of people to learn more about the market of VGA cards.

Attachments

• DS0002.PNG
    DS0002.PNG
    80.7 KB · Views: 503
  • DS0003.PNG
    DS0003.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 490
System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
I get that lanes should be sufficiently wide enough for intended speeds, so cars can stay in lane at all times. Still need layman English please. Are the GPU's crashing because the analog signal fluctuates too much at the higher clocks? And this leads to register and memory corruption, right?

Don't be hurtful guys, otherwise you'll only have pantene Steve to untangle the strands of oscilloscope signals for you.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Thread heavily cleansed. If you have nothing productive to say move along or earn points, your choice. Fair warning to all!

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) X570
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm radiator
Memory Thermaltake ToughRAM RGB, 64GB DDR4, 3600MHz CL18, Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Asus TUF GeForce RTX™ 3090
Storage Adata XPG GAMMIX S50, 2TB, NVMe, M.2 SSD
Display(s) Dell G3223Q 32", 4K UHD, 144Hz, FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Audio Device(s) Logitech G433 USB DAC
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 21H2
@kiriakost Do it for AMD, please.

The thread title is a bit confusing. It might initially lead people to believe this was a test / measurement done on an actual RTX 3080. But the rest of the post seems to indicate it is not. Instead, it's just a test trying to produce a visualization of what he thinks it happens on the RTX 3080 when the problems occur. He's just measuring un unrelated test signal, while playing with the triggering system of the measuring equipment to artificially introduce measurement artifacts.

In conclusion, there is nothing to "do for AMD", since nothing was actually done for NVidia, it's just a theoretical / hypothetical analysis regarding potential issues.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The thread title is a bit confusing. It might initially lead people to believe this was a test / measurement done on an actual RTX 3080. But the rest of the post seems to indicate it is not. Instead, it's just a test trying to produce a visualization of what he thinks it happens on the RTX 3080 when the problems occur. He's just measuring un unrelated test signal, while playing with the triggering system of the measuring equipment to artificially introduce measurement artifacts.

In conclusion, there is nothing to "do for AMD", since nothing was actually done for NVidia, it's just a theoretical / hypothetical analysis regarding potential issues.
Theory is the same and carries across brands.
Well done @kiriakost this is well explained for the layperson even if some failed to understand.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Theory is the same and carries across brands.
Well done @kiriakost this is well explained for the layperson even if some failed to understand.

I generally agree with the poster you quoted because I don't believe he actually has access to a 3080 which would make this a representation. It is beneficial in illustrating what the issue is/could be but there is no actual 'proof' this is what is happening. Therefore, it is theory only but beneficial theory only.

System Name Mini efficient rig.
Processor R9 3900, @4ghz -0.05v offset. 110W peak.
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H, bios f41 pcie 4.0 unlocked.
Cooling some server blower @1500rpm
Memory 2x16GB oem Samsung D-Die. 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RX 6600 Pulse w/conductonaut @65C hotspot
Storage 1x 128gb nvme Samsung 950 Pro - 4x 1tb sata Hitachi 2.5" hdds
Display(s) Samsung C24RG50FQI
Case Jonsbo C2 (almost itx sized)
Audio Device(s) integrated Realtek crap
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-750FX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Redragon K539 brown switches
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + Windows 10 21H2 LTSC (patched).
Benchmark Scores Cinebench: R15 3050 pts, R20 7000 pts, R23 17800 pts, r2024 1050 pts.
That is actually a universal statement that applies to any cpu / gpu / etc.
It is the reason why overclocks are less and less significant nowadays, and is why u can still do some crazy oc with LN (because at lower temps the conductivity increases).

RTX 3080 / 3090 (Ampere in general) is a new product, these issues are normal (because maybe there is a bug in tdp control, or gddr6x, or the drivers, etc) and eventually nvidia will sort them out.

ps
Really dont think that this is due to the use of cheaper filtering caps (like the video that Jayz2cents made a couple of days ago)
, because we have seen a lot of high end aftermarket cards that were really good at oc and that used these very same "cheapo" caps ... Unless Ampere is too sensitive in that aspect

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I generally agree with the poster you quoted because I don't believe he actually has access to a 3080 which would make this a representation. It is beneficial in illustrating what the issue is/could be but there is no actual 'proof' this is what is happening. Therefore, it is theory only but beneficial theory only.
I tend to agree, this is an interesting subject without a doubt, and I don't mean to misrepresent that I enjoyed the content and find it informative, but the title is quite misleading.

rtx3080 signal pollution demonstration... I mean really, people are coming here thinking you have directly demonstrated signal pollution on an RTX3080.

I'd have thought something like "GPU signal pollution demonstration by the use of Oscilloscope, and how this phenomenon is believed to affect RTX3080's"

System Name ATLAS
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
I get that lanes should be sufficiently wide enough for intended speeds, so cars can stay in lane at all times. Still need layman English please. Are the GPU's crashing because the analog signal fluctuates too much at the higher clocks? And this leads to register and memory corruption, right?

In electronics they are several fundamental laws them explaining of what a signal is, how it behaves under specific conditions, and the limitations.
The same issues or problems arise in to single cable with may pairs of wires and up to the most complex IC chip.
At higher clocks, we are not able to maintain signals as free of interference or crosstalk as they should be.
Such challenges they find a solution by the use of more proper design of the chip it self, but any workaround it is also dependent to lithography in use.

At 1GHz and above it gets harder to keep signals secure from them interfering to its other.
INTEL , NVIDIA and or AMD, what they do this is inventing new science and not regular electronic applications, all their designs they are pioneering steps in to a direction which its hard to predict the conciseness.

I am aware such answers are not simple to digest if you missing the necessary education.
Therefore I will simply deliver few hints, so anyone capable to explore by him self.
Link explaining crosstalk issues ......

Additionally the Oscilloscope which I did use for this demonstration, this is one of the the very few them capable to capture and measure and demonstrate Ghost signals on screen.
This were developed in this decade, this is a sample of latest developed tool which can explore pulsing power supply issues and has a price tag of 2000 Euros.
INTEL , NVIDIA and or AMD, for their development of technology they use also Oscilloscopes to capture and measure and demonstrate Ghost signals on screen up to 100GHz at the price of above 100.000 Euros.

In conclusion dear friend, the answer in your question it requires not plain words, but a special tool this worth more than the quantity of 150 RTX3090 cards in retail value. :)

There is no guess work involved, when I was in school at 1988 we did not had oscilloscope in the class of electricians.
But feel free to offer your own better analysis by the demonstration of hard evidence. :)
If you succeed you might get hired by NVIDIA !

Last edited:
System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
RTX 3080 / 3090 (Ampere in general) is a new product, these issues are normal (because maybe there is a bug in tdp control, or gddr6x, or the drivers, etc) and eventually nvidia will sort them out.
These issues are normal to some extent. Can the interference happen yes. Maybe Ampere is pushed to its limits and it can't go any higher. Maybe with better capacitors it could but AIB's and NV will not use much more expensive capacitors just to go 50Mhz above of what the 3080 or 3090 can do now. Not worth the effort and money. The chips are massive and it is understandable that these will not OC extremely. There's always a limit to this to what the chip's frequency will be. The more complex the circuit (chip) then the signal pollution will happen faster and clocks wont reach as high as we would want.

System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) X570
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm radiator
Memory Thermaltake ToughRAM RGB, 64GB DDR4, 3600MHz CL18, Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Asus TUF GeForce RTX™ 3090
Storage Adata XPG GAMMIX S50, 2TB, NVMe, M.2 SSD
Display(s) Dell G3223Q 32", 4K UHD, 144Hz, FreeSync Premium Pro
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Audio Device(s) Logitech G433 USB DAC
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 21H2
There is no guess work involved, when I was in school at 1988 we did not had oscilloscope in the class of electricians.
But feel free to offer your own better analysis by the demonstration of hard evidence. :)
If you succeed you might get hired by NVIDIA !

My point is we don't know exactly what the problem is. We just have a bit of evidence that the capacitor choice has some influence on the behavior, but signal pollution, either inside or outside the GPU chip might not be the most significant factor in this issue.

Even with a simple digital circuit, consisting of a few logic gates and registers and synchronized by a clock signal, you can experience instability as the clock frequency increases. And that can happen even if the input signals are almost perfect, and there is almost no interference between the signals. Some logic gates or chains of such gates can simply be unable to change the state of their outputs fast enough, before the next clock tick, if you push the clock frequency too far.

When that happens, the clock tick can catch some gate outputs in an intermediate state, that is not clearly distinguishable as a 1 or a 0. So, registers that need to rely on that output as their input to change their state, will start to accumulate more and more random errors as the clock increases, resulting in data corruption.

Of course, any signal pollution or power noise can exacerbate such problems, pushing a circuit that is already close to its limits over the edge, by creating more randomness and degradation in the signals. In extreme cases it might even be the main cause of the errors, and in such cases lowering the frequency might not even help. But it's not mandatory to have signal pollution or noisy power to experience such problems, pushing the circuit to a frequency that is too high can be enough.

After a certain point, if you keep increasing the frequency, you'll not just get a few random errors, instead some gate outputs may become completely unreliable, and after a certain point the circuit will not be able to do any useful work.

Increasing voltage can make the gates switch faster, which allows faster clock speeds. But that comes with its own set of problems, after a certain point. Like the current jumping over gaps between components and traces and causing errors or, in extreme cases, even deteriorating or destroying the components. And, of course, even when things are stable, increased voltage means increased power usage and temperature. And if you happen to have a power supply that can't handle all that, you have an additional potential source of instability.

Anyway, we can keep discussing this for a long time, but my point is that you didn't demonstrate signal pollution on the RTX 3080, at best you demonstrated signal pollution in general. Starting the name of the thread with RTX3080 feels a bit like "clickbait", which made me feel "clicker's remorse".

System Name RaceBox (w/ Moza R5 Bundle)
Processor Intel Core i5-12400F
Motherboard Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2x32GB Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080
Storage Intel 600p 256GB / 2TB SSD/HDD
Display(s) AOC G2590FX
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400
Audio Device(s) M-Audio BX8 D3s / HD 58X Jubilee | MDR-7506| KZ ZS10 Pro
Power Supply Seasonic B12 BC-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Ducky One 2 Horizon TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike Ext: 19471 Time Spy Ext: 7611 Port Royal: 11586 CB 2024 GPU: 11743 CB 2024 MC CPU: 636
Am i the only one who likes the look of that ghost signal:roll:

Am i the only one who likes the look of that ghost signal:roll:
Winamp.

I still don't get it. @kiriakost is there a temporal component involved which entails which part of the hardware is wrong? Like, if events <1ms, or >1ms are causing the issue therefore the suspected problem would lead us to a component, or are all units affected? It seems they are doing quite well if only overclocking margin is affected. I thought transient response were affected to the contrary.

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Anyway, we can keep discussing this for a long time, but my point is that you didn't demonstrate signal pollution on the RTX 3080, at best you demonstrated signal pollution in general. Starting the name of the thread with RTX3080 feels a bit like "clickbait", which made me feel "clicker's remorse".
Again absolutely correct, I came here because the title directly led me to believe this was tested on an RTX3080 and I too have clickers remorse. Ahh well, at least he feels good that he has taught people something...

System Name ATLAS
Display(s) DELL U2311H
I still don't get it. @kiriakost is there a temporal component involved which entails which part of the hardware is wrong? Like, if events <1ms, or >1ms are causing the issue therefore the suspected problem would lead us to a component, or are all units affected? It seems they are doing quite well if only overclocking margin is affected. I thought transient response were affected to the contrary.

I made clear two times so far, that any well defined answers they can come due the screen of one latest developed Oscilloscope this cost thousands of Euro dollars and only NVIDIA and large corporations they are able to afford it.

Now due the fact that NVIDIA R&D department this is VAULT ,
and strangers are not aloud to visit or see it.
I thought to give you a glimpse of what NVIDIA engineers will also see in their more expensive also latest developed Oscilloscope.
The ability of one Oscilloscope to review Ghost signals (that they are the first step of appearing interference) this is a new one as tool, since the year 2012 and later.

NVIDIA's technology this is patented and a legally protected property.

My presentation this is generic example and a safe one regarding any legal actions against my self and or TPU in which this content it is hosted at.

Thank you.

My point is we don't know exactly what the problem is. We just have a bit of evidence that the capacitor choice has some influence on the behavior, but signal pollution, either inside or outside the GPU chip might not be the most significant factor in this issue.

Even with a simple digital circuit, consisting of a few logic gates and registers and synchronized by a clock signal, you can experience instability as the clock frequency increases. And that can happen even if the input signals are almost perfect, and there is almost no interference between the signals. Some logic gates or chains of such gates can simply be unable to change the state of their outputs fast enough, before the next clock tick, if you push the clock frequency too far.

There is no simple digital circuit here.
The wavelength above 2GHz this is challenging the materials in use over that card.
The factory is the Chip.
The less important helpers are the capacitors.

Last edited: