• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[rumor/leak] RDR2 coming to PC,announcement to be made on Apr 22nd,Epic exclusive

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
Steam has been my go to place for years. Almost every game is there, my entire library that i am proud of is listed there. Plus its got all great features like in-home streaming with phones, TVs, other PCs; forums for all games, family sharing, refunds, steam curators(which i am a reviewer of one with 100k+ follower) steam market where i got loads of free games through trading and selling stuff, controller support, etc. and almost everyone has a Steam account now.

Steam basically rejuvenated PC gaming and PC games distribution as it is. It made life easier for PC gamers. No more cdkeys, putting disc in trays, countless clients, manual patches, backups, etc) Few years ago you just ran steam and all your games get auto patched. Now if you want games patched up you have to run battlenet, origin, epic, etc at the background. Its getting worse. Now we have to have a new program that can consolidate all these clients into one application.

If I had the choice where would my games end up, I would always choose Steam, with such an investment its really hard to migrate/use a different game client now. Imagine putting all hundreds of your games collection in one room and they realizing you are now unable to put certain games in it, that they must be in another room. Sadly you can never have all the games on Steam. there are really great games that are in other clients, I'm okay with that though.

Epic comes in with their own game client, buying out devs to release games exclusive to their store. Normally this would be fine, as what we have learned to accept with Origin, Battlenet, etc. (Playing Apex Legends now, as well as Diablo 3/Overwatch on Battle.net, Also used to play BF3, BF4) and countless other games with their own clients. Hell, even Epic Store was fine with Fortnite!

So why did people hate Epic suddenly, what went wrong??
  • The main issue that started it all is the Metro Exodus fiasco, it was using Steam as an advertising platform for over a year, under the premise that the game would be released there, then 2 weeks before release it suddenly changed stores. Even physical disc keys were switched from Steam to Epics. Only preorders were honored but that was not enough. Left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.
  • There is a glaring difference between Origin/Battlenet and Epic Store: Epic sells exclusive games that they don't publish/develop, they just pay them to get exclusivity (This is unheard of in the PC industry, only seen in console industry, and people hated this).
  • Epic would be more comparable to GOG or Discord Store, or even a website like Greenmangaming. But those stores have no exclusivity to them.
Summary: These are the nos where they went wrong.
  • Did Epic announce metro exodus exclusivity beforehand? No. in fact they stole one from steam under their noses.
  • Do they publish their own games like Blizzard and EA? No, they pay off devs.
  • Are games available elsewhere like in other storefronts like GOG, Discord, Uplay, Rockstar Games, Greenmangaming, etc? No
How can Epic solve this
  1. Announce games beforehand(they seem to be doing this mostly so we're good on that)
  2. Publish/Develop their own games or at least let them come from their own choice. or just keep paying them until people get used to it.
  3. Make the games available for other stores, let the people choose. Bring them in with features, not with exclusivity. Again if people are choosing to pirate a game instead of buying it on another client, that's saying something about Steam. This is not worship or fanboyism, this is just Steam being the better choice right now.
I understand them though, Steam has had such a huge head start. and with a lot of people already have huge investments on Steam they now prefer it automatically. Epic really have to come up with a huge effort in order to battle Steam. maybe what they're doing is the only choice?

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
It's not just the overlay, that's just part of it. See, everyone that wants to argue against it always picks one thing and says "is that one thing worth it?" It's not just one thing, its the entire package. The fact is, I use MSI Afterburner for screenshots and recording, but it is nice to have the option to use the built in Steam screenshot option for the random time I don't have MSI Afterburner running, or when I'm using in-home streaming. But, again, that is just one of the many benefits I enjoy from Steam.

Sure it works, but saying that means you see it as just a game launcher, because when you add a non-steam game, you don't get any of the steam benefits with that game. You don't get cloud saves, in-home streaming rarely works(I've never actually successfully got it to work, but others report they have), etc.

Yep, because believe it or not, some of us will hop out of a game to do something like chat with a friend, or say look up hints for the game or skip the next music track. The game not crashing because I alt+tabbed is nice. This greatly improves the gameplay experience.

I never said it wasn't, I said it wasn't easily accessible while playing a game.

Really, so when I sit down at a computer, fire up the game I want to play, only to find out all my saves aren't there and I'm staring at a blank fresh game instead of having 300 hours of playtime that I should have has nothing to do with playing the game? Yeah, that definitely doesn't affect the enjoyment I get while playing a game. I love starting over from scratch just because I decided to play the game at work on my lunch hour instead of at home.

It can, but some games just don't have a soundtrack, or have a generic soundtrack that really means nothing. I'm playing Rimworld right now for instance, just under 300 hours of play actually, no sound track at all and it really doesn't need one.

Then your view of mods is wrong. Mods add enjoyment to an already great game. Yes, the game is good without them, it isn't about fixing the gameplay experience it's about enhancing it. And the games that live the longest, the ones that still have a huge player base years after they are released, are almost always good games that also support mods.

And that brings up another point that I forgot to mention, and that's easy control of DLC. Which is really kind of like mods, but by the original devs. Sometimes I actually like to disable the DLC and just play the vanilla game, Steam makes that easy. Just one click, and the DLC is enabled or disabled.

There is nothing stopping a game dev from including their own cloud save function. Games aren't locked into their system. GTA:V, for example, uses their own cloud save function. Steam just provides a very easy to implement tool that devs can use if they want.

Wow, and you said you were an indie dev? You really don't know your customer base, do you? I mean, that who early access concept was a real failure I guess...

There have been some attempts, but I have yet to see anything that provides what Steam in-home streaming does. Remember, Steam in-home streaming is 100% free. There is no extra hardware to buy, no extra setup, nothing. You just get to use it, with every game in your library, just by having Steam installed.

Nope, the community aspect I didn't even talk about, all of what I listed affects my enjoyment of the gameplay of the game. And judging by the backlash, I'm not the only one that enjoys the benefits of Steam. You are obviously looking at it from the viewpoint of only a dev, and obviously didn't even realize that Steam is more than just a game launcher. You also don't seem to really understand your customer base, and what they want.

This point by point breakdown was so intense I had to call a mechanic for roadside recovery.

On a side note. mods can be seen as both things. though most importantly mods tend to ADD more content to a game each and every time and I think this is where the community really shines when given opportunity and a lot of games both old and new flourish because of great support from the community. sadly a lot of newer titles from older franchises are no longer open for modding which in turn leads to games like ARMA or Fallout/skyrim where they seem to be super moddable.

For example Bohemia took a lot of the basebuilding features out of the dayZ but the modders added it back in and made some overall improvements to the inventory layouts and stuff. The sky is really the limit with games like those.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
What DLC? It's all about micro transactions in GTAV and RDRO. T2 are greedy bastards, unless Epic shells out a couple hundred mil they won't even touch their store.

Ps.
A lot of fuss about some random post from a "leaker" on 4chan.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
It's not just the overlay, that's just part of it. See, everyone that wants to argue against it always picks one thing and says "is that one thing worth it?" It's not just one thing, its the entire package. The fact is, I use MSI Afterburner for screenshots and recording, but it is nice to have the option to use the built in Steam screenshot option for the random time I don't have MSI Afterburner running, or when I'm using in-home streaming. But, again, that is just one of the many benefits I enjoy from Steam.

Sure it works, but saying that means you see it as just a game launcher, because when you add a non-steam game, you don't get any of the steam benefits with that game. You don't get cloud saves, in-home streaming rarely works(I've never actually successfully got it to work, but others report they have), etc.

Yep, because believe it or not, some of us will hop out of a game to do something like chat with a friend, or say look up hints for the game or skip the next music track. The game not crashing because I alt+tabbed is nice. This greatly improves the gameplay experience.

I never said it wasn't, I said it wasn't easily accessible while playing a game.

Really, so when I sit down at a computer, fire up the game I want to play, only to find out all my saves aren't there and I'm staring at a blank fresh game instead of having 300 hours of playtime that I should have has nothing to do with playing the game? Yeah, that definitely doesn't affect the enjoyment I get while playing a game. I love starting over from scratch just because I decided to play the game at work on my lunch hour instead of at home.

It can, but some games just don't have a soundtrack, or have a generic soundtrack that really means nothing. I'm playing Rimworld right now for instance, just under 300 hours of play actually, no sound track at all and it really doesn't need one.

Then your view of mods is wrong. Mods add enjoyment to an already great game. Yes, the game is good without them, it isn't about fixing the gameplay experience it's about enhancing it. And the games that live the longest, the ones that still have a huge player base years after they are released, are almost always good games that also support mods.

And that brings up another point that I forgot to mention, and that's easy control of DLC. Which is really kind of like mods, but by the original devs. Sometimes I actually like to disable the DLC and just play the vanilla game, Steam makes that easy. Just one click, and the DLC is enabled or disabled.

There is nothing stopping a game dev from including their own cloud save function. Games aren't locked into their system. GTA:V, for example, uses their own cloud save function. Steam just provides a very easy to implement tool that devs can use if they want.

Wow, and you said you were an indie dev? You really don't know your customer base, do you? I mean, that who early access concept was a real failure I guess...

There have been some attempts, but I have yet to see anything that provides what Steam in-home streaming does. Remember, Steam in-home streaming is 100% free. There is no extra hardware to buy, no extra setup, nothing. You just get to use it, with every game in your library, just by having Steam installed.

Nope, the community aspect I didn't even talk about, all of what I listed affects my enjoyment of the gameplay of the game. And judging by the backlash, I'm not the only one that enjoys the benefits of Steam. You are obviously looking at it from the viewpoint of only a dev, and obviously didn't even realize that Steam is more than just a game launcher. You also don't seem to really understand your customer base, and what they want.

If the game crashes during alt/tab that's another game breaking issue. Not something that anybody should rely on a launcher to work around.

Like the types of mods that fix badly designed GUI or replace poorly made assets as the Devs didn't put enough work in. Workshop isn't for working around lazy Devs and their half assed games. It's meant to be adding value to the game, by people who love it.

You act like I have never used it, don't have many mods and followers on there. Like I wasn't modding games before it was a thing. Like I don't know how much easier it made things for users. The sad fact is that it's become a place where ungrateful users demand more free things like it is their right. That is the reason so many of the best modders have turned their back on it. Look at the fallout from skyrims paid for mods. I know 3 incredibly talented artist who lost so much love for modding after receiving backlash over that. I know of the work they abandoned which would of added much to that game. Is what it is.

You seem to have confused cloud storage for the images with the game saves. Community based thing Vs gameplay experience. Then you talk about how rockstar don't use steams servers for game saves as a shining example of their api? There is a reason they didn't and I already covered it.

The more you explain your needs the more you put yourself as a marginal case dude. As such your needs will never be a high priority for most of the game making world.

Nvidia do the best game streaming that I have tried. Valve stopped selling the link as it was flawed while nvidia have the latency down as they picked the right hardware to do it. Steam does it fine for some games but in ones where latency matters it can be game breaking.

Other than modding I think Google are gunning for your custom with stadia tbh. But hey I don't know my customers needs so I'm probably miles off.

As for beta testers, I know plenty of people I trust to test. General public don't tend to know what they're talking about and can often cause more work than needed to fix the slightest issue. Where that can help is in stress testing servers and load balancing software but again not many titles have or require that either.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
If the game crashes during alt/tab that's another game breaking issue. Not something that anybody should rely on a launcher to work around.

Two words. Borderless window. Everything else can GTFO.

I honestly would have figured that X80 GPUs from NV and whatever you want to call the VII for $699 would have been a worthy thing to cry over. Not buying games from a different store. It's really unreal.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Gsync makes this slightly harder. It works best with fullscreen exclusive.

I know. I hate fullscreen specifically because it makes alt + tabbing a pita.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Gsync makes this slightly harder. It works best with fullscreen exclusive.

Good reason to not use it, bonus points for getting access to strobe that way which is another technology that will work vendor independent versus proprietary like variable sync.

But really, this is a matter of choices, no more and no less. Steam is a choice, Gsync is a choice, and each of these choices are also restrictions. This is why I keep speaking of 'self imposed' exclusivity. Its not real exclusivity, it only is because of the limits people force upon themselves. Its a strange, strange world we live in... This is the same idea as saying 'I need Gsync so bad, if a monitor doesn't have it, I can't play on it'... that to me sounds like entitled, spoiled and completely off from reality. Its also the same as 'the Google filter bubble', except now its just Lord Gaben calling the shots instead of a search algorithm. Steam preference is much the same thing, and above all, it is so incredibly stupid from a consumer point of view.

I'm in a completely different dynamic with my choices. With everything I choose for, I always consider how much it locks me into an ecosystem. Its the reason I game on PC and not on consoles, or at least one of them. PC is freedom. Freedom is choice. Restricting that choice to me is bad. The true advantage of PC gaming is that you can do whatever the hell you want on it. Restricting myself to Steam would 'feel' like restricting myself to a console ecosystem. Its not much different, its the same fast food mentality and its the same 'must be plug and play and zero effort'. Its a temptation I believe we should resist or at the very least, be very conscious about. This also ties in closely to the 'as a service' model that is getting big these days. I don't want everything 'as a service'. I want to be able to do something without depending on a number of external factors that are completely dominated by the forces of the marketplace. This starts with 'not betting on one horse'.

A lot of fuss about some random post from a "leaker" on 4chan.

Good point, but I honestly think its a real possibility, timing is also right.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Good reason to not use it

All well and good. A good reason to use it is owning the hardware.

Otherwise agree entirely.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
PC is freedom. Freedom is choice. Restricting that choice to me is bad. The true advantage of PC gaming is that you can do whatever the hell you want on it.

LOL, that is pretty much the whole counter argument everyone his been saying against Epic. Good Job!

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
All well and good. A good reason to use it is owning the hardware.

Otherwise agree entirely.

Of course! And why not use it, I agree on that, and I also see the advantage it brings - but it did come at additional cost and some kind of lock-in because your chance of buying an AMD card is slim at best right now. Same way with Steam; I can totally see the added value it brings, and the ease of use, and I use it too and like it. But its not a dealbreaker to me if I can't have it.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
LOL, that is pretty much the whole counter argument everyone his been saying against Epic. Good Job!

The irony there is that arguement can cut both ways...

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
The irony there is that arguement can cut both ways...

The core of that irony is what one considers to be a restriction. Right now we're looking at 'its so easy and I like it' being that restriction, versus actual platform/hardware requirements you can't physically get around.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
The core of that irony is what one considers to be a restriction. Right now we're looking at 'its so easy and I like it' being that restriction, versus actual platform/hardware requirements you can't physically get around.

Truth.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

And yet, it happens all too often. And even when the game doesn't crash, doing it is still a PITA compared to just using the overlay.

Like the types of mods that fix badly designed GUI or replace poorly made assets as the Devs didn't put enough work in. Workshop isn't for working around lazy Devs and their half assed games. It's meant to be adding value to the game, by people who love it.

Yep, you said it, it's added value. Remember, you were the one that claimed that mods were just there to fix a bad game experience... Now you admit, Workshop, and the mods in it, are in fact an added value. Good job.

You act like I have never used it, don't have many mods and followers on there. Like I wasn't modding games before it was a thing. Like I don't know how much easier it made things for users. The sad fact is that it's become a place where ungrateful users demand more free things like it is their right. That is the reason so many of the best modders have turned their back on it. Look at the fallout from skyrims paid for mods. I know 3 incredibly talented artist who lost so much love for modding after receiving backlash over that. I know of the work they abandoned which would of added much to that game. Is what it is.

WTF does this have to do with anything?

You seem to have confused cloud storage for the images with the game saves. Community based thing Vs gameplay experience. Then you talk about how rockstar don't use steams servers for game saves as a shining example of their api? There is a reason they didn't and I already covered it.

No, I commented on both, very clearly, you are confusing them. You're statement was that Steams API somehow locks a developer into using it. The GTA:V was a point proving that isn't the case. No one is forcing a dev to use Steams cloud save feature, they are more than welcome to use their own. But cloud saves definitely improve the experience of playing a game for anyone that uses more than one computer, which is a lot of people these days.

The more you explain your needs the more you put yourself as a marginal case dude. As such your needs will never be a high priority for most of the game making world.

No, they will never be a priority for you, but we've already kind of proved you don't really have a grasp on what your customers actually want. There wasn't a huge backlash about epic, and thousands of people posting comparisons of all the features Epic is missing compared to Steam when no one actually uses those features. Sorry, people do in fact use these features.

Nvidia do the best game streaming that I have tried. Valve stopped selling the link as it was flawed while nvidia have the latency down as they picked the right hardware to do it. Steam does it fine for some games but in ones where latency matters it can be game breaking.

I was not talking about Steam Link at all. Do you even have a clue what Steam In-Home streaming is? The nVidia method is flawed for several reasons, the first and biggest one being you need a $100+ device to use it. Again, Steam In-Home Streaming is 100% free, no special device needed. It also works for all the AMD GPU users out there.

As for beta testers, I know plenty of people I trust to test. General public don't tend to know what they're talking about and can often cause more work than needed to fix the slightest issue. Where that can help is in stress testing servers and load balancing software but again not many titles have or require that either.

So, no real argument in your favor here. Not going to address the whole early access thing, and how it has exploded and greatly helped indie devs. Ok...

Anyway, I've made my point, so I'm done with this discussion.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
Summary: These are the nos where they went wrong.
  • Did Epic announce metro exodus exclusivity beforehand? No. in fact they stole one from steam under their noses.
  • Do they publish their own games like Blizzard and EA? No, they pay off devs.

These two are the main "issues" which are falsehoods. Developers/publishers can choose their platform. It is true that when Exodus started its marketing campaign the Epic store didn't exist outside of being a Fortnite launcher, nor did the lower selling fee incentive exist. Obviously, that changed and Deep Silver took advantage of it. Yes there was a Steam page and still is - big deal. People who purchased the game on Steam still received their game on Steam. This is a non-issue. Many games are announced and their final distribution platform changes before release. A good example is a small game known as "Halo: Combat Evolved". Except that changed more than its distribution store, but it does get the point home.

Second point is again, general whiny outrage culture screeching without thinking before typing. Epic has been making games for years. About as long as Valve, if not longer. Unreal Tournament, Gears of War and now Fortnite should ring some bells. Yes they sell 3rd party games. So does Valve on Steam. What is the problem there? One of the biggest complaints with launchers used to be it was required for a single game. People didn't want to use Origin for just Battlefield or just a single publishers games. That was one of the main drawbacks to Origin - it was simple an EA launcher. No one wanted a launcher for just one publisher/developer. That was the whole reason why Steam was popular. Amazing how in a moment of outrage the gaming community has reversed stances. Now launchers that only have one publisher/developer's catalog is good. Right.

The "but they pay off the devs!!!111" argument is taken out of context as well. Epic does offer additional marketing (like a traditional publisher circa 1990-early 2000s) and guaranteed sales for some games. Meaning if the game flops they will cover the lost sales; if I recall it was 1 million sales for some games. This is certainly a great incentive, but it is very different from no frills up front cash with no obligations which is the narrative you and countless others are pushing. If the game sells very well they won't see the money. For example if Just Cause 4 was put on Epic instead of Steam I think Square Enix would have been better off because that game flopped because it was a shitty mess at launch. Chances are Epic would've had to pay out some money, but for a game like Metro Exodus I'm sure they cleared the guaranteed sales threshold by a large margin.

Epic also offers the main incentives of waiving UE4 engine fees and offering a flat 12% fee for selling. This means Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds pay 12% for each sale. On Steam it would be 34% for the initial sales and for the other half of the sales would drop to 24%. Which is still a lot higher. Is it really that surprising that games would go for Epic's solution over Valve's? They're literally saving millions of dollars and Epic wouldn't have to pay them a cent.

Oh sure, a few people won't buy the game if it isn't on Steam. But the loss of sales is easily made up by the higher margins.

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I think the anti- "platform exclusive" people would probably be fine with things being exclusive to steam. It is when they are exclusive to other services and not steam that they are upset. Steam vs other developer preference is similar to the console world's fanboy brand nintendo vs sony vs microsoft wars. I'll admit that steam is more convenient for me, if all prices being equal. However, often the non steam games are cheaper on 3rd party key sites by quite a bit.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I think the anti- "platform exclusive" people would probably be fine with things being exclusive to steam. It is when they are exclusive to other services and not steam that they are upset. Steam vs other developer preference is similar to the console world's fanboy brand nintendo vs sony vs microsoft wars. I'll admit that steam is more convenient for me, if all prices being equal. However, often the non steam games are cheaper on 3rd party key sites by quite a bit.

I don't see that- the cheap keys are generally Steam keys, not GOG keys for example. Those tend to remain pretty close to the actual store sale price. Steam keys however can be Steam Gifts, they can be coupons, they can take all sorts of shapes and if and whenever Steam has a flash sale of a game, you can expect the market price to plummet. Metro Exodus was a good example; the price shortly after launch was quite inflated compared to a Steam release, and its only just now getting to Steam-key levels at 35 EUR. But I doubt it'll drop much further. With Steam keys, it surely will.

There is currently no price advantage for a consumer at EGS.

Do you have examples of what you're saying?

Last edited:
System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I don't see that- the cheap keys are generally Steam keys, not GOG keys for example. Those tend to remain pretty close to the actual store sale price. Steam keys however can be Steam Gifts, they can be coupons, they can take all sorts of shapes and if and whenever Steam has a flash sale of a game, you can expect the market price to plummet. Metro Exodus was a good example; the price shortly after launch was quite inflated compared to a Steam release, and its only just now getting to Steam-key levels at 35 EUR. But I doubt it'll drop much further. With Steam keys, it surely will.

There is currently no price advantage for a consumer at EGS.

Do you have examples of what you're saying?

These prices kind of fluctuate even as I was finding you examples so I picked the featured price as the overall trend is shown anyway.

I think non steam is perceived as less desirable so the price is lower on these 3rd party sites.

Stalker COP
https://www.g2a.com/en-us/stalker-call-of-pripyat-gogcom-key-global-i10000001403001
GOG 0.70 EUR

https://www.g2a.com/en-us/stalker-call-of-pripyat-steam-key-global-i10000016447007
STEAM 3.61 EUR

Metro LL Redux
https://www.g2a.com/en-us/metro-last-light-redux-gogcom-key-global-i10000000633014
GOG 9.49 EUR

https://www.g2a.com/en-us/metro-last-light-redux-steam-key-global-i10000000633010
STEAM 12.02 EUR

Witcher 3
https://www.g2a.com/en-us/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-goty-edition-gogcom-key-global-i10000026141012
GOG 19.79 EUR

https://www.g2a.com/en-us/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-goty-edition-steam-gift-global-i10000026141004
STEAM 40.45 EUR

M&B Warband
https://www.g2a.com/en-us/mount-blade-warband-gogcom-key-global-i10000006352009
GOG 2.08 EUR

https://www.g2a.com/en-us/mount-blade-warband-steam-key-global-i10000006352007
STEAM 6.24 EUR

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Steam keys are literally free to generate for publishers but Steam can impose restrictions on accounts (e.g. asking for huge batches of keys and getting hardly any sales on Steam).

EGS could offer a lower price and publisher still come out ahead but, at this point, they're not doing that because they're satisfied with the sales figures they're getting at MSRP.

Steam keys being more expensive than GOG keys on the gray market surprises me. I'm not sure what the restrictions are at GOG on generating keys. You could be right about desirability being the only factor.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
Yep, you said it, it's added value. Remember, you were the one that claimed that mods were just there to fix a bad game experience... Now you admit, Workshop, and the mods in it, are in fact an added value. Good job.

Missing the point entirely...no I said workshop doesn't add to the gameplay experience and that places where it does is when it fixes things the Devs should do anyway. I didn't say anything about the added value, but that sounds more like you feeling entitled.

WTF does this have to do with anything?

You acting like I don't know what it is or brings to a game?

No, I commented on both, very clearly, you are confusing them. You're statement was that Steams API somehow locks a developer into using it. The GTA:V was a point proving that isn't the case. No one is forcing a dev to use Steams cloud save feature, they are more than welcome to use their own. But cloud saves definitely improve the experience of playing a game for anyone that uses more than one computer, which is a lot of people these days.

No you didn't, you confused my point about hosting screenshots with game saves then went on to talk about have rockstar don't use it.

No, they will never be a priority for you, but we've already kind of proved you don't really have a grasp on what your customers actually want. There wasn't a huge backlash about epic, and thousands of people posting comparisons of all the features Epic is missing compared to Steam when no one actually uses those features. Sorry, people do in fact use these features.

Ok, I guess you know me so well that you know who plays me games xD

I was not talking about Steam Link at all. Do you even have a clue what Steam In-Home streaming is? The nVidia method is flawed for several reasons, the first and biggest one being you need a $100+ device to use it. Again, Steam In-Home Streaming is 100% free, no special device needed. It also works for all the AMD GPU users out there.

It works best with hardware designed for the job is the point I was making. Again I'm not shocked you missed that given how you seem to not read what you write, nevermind others. Running it all via software adds latency which impacts some games greatly.

So, no real argument in your favor here. Not going to address the whole early access thing, and how it has exploded and greatly helped indie devs. Ok...

You could also argue it conned plenty of people into buying half finished games that should never of been on sale too. But hey, valve in cash grab shocker....while epic are offering grants to Devs to help them finish their projects without the pressure.

Anyway, I've made my point, so I'm done with this discussion.

What point? All you did was point out that 16 year old software is more mature than something new...if that comes as a surprise to anyone I guess they are shocked each day when the sun rises.

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
Good, glad to see RDR2 coming to PC. I've not had a problem from the Epic launcher. I've gone 50 miles or more to get a hard copy from a store before so double clicking seems plum easy to me.

D

Deleted member 24505

Steam has a massive user base, people will browse the store, therefore your games for sale have a big user base that might see it on the store and decide to buy it. That is one of the advantages of steam for game producers, and probably worth the 30% to some.

I actually just bought the witcher 3 on GOG as the steam price was too high.

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
>Epic Games Exclusive
Enough to make me stay away from the game until I decide to dig my xbone out of storage to relive BL1 and BL2

Processor Intel i9 11900K
Motherboard Z590 MSI ACE
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Ballistix Elite 4000 32GB 18-19-19-39
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090 XC3 ULTRA HYBRID
Storage 2x Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 1 TB, XPG SX8200 PRO 1 TB
Display(s) Acer Predator Z321QU
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Power Supply Asus ROG Strix 1000W
If y'all want to fuss about something...Denuvo is the DRM.