• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Run AMD Fusion Utility on Intel CPUs

W

wolf2009

AMD recently released version 1.0 of its Fusion Gaming utility, but despite efforts to keep the software out of the hands of Intel users, the software can quickly be made compatible with all processors.
AMD released version 1.0 of its AMD Fusion for Gaming utility, which allows users a simple and fast way to prepare their Windows PCs for gaming. With the press of a button, the application can be used to automatically close down non-essential services, enhance the hard drive performance and even overclock the GPU and CPU.
Unfortunately for many, the AMD Fusion for Gaming utility is limited to only systems with an AMD processor, although that limitation is artificially imposed by AMD. The good news is, overcoming such an artificial limitation is often a trivial matter, which we will now demonstrate.
Zoom
The first step required in this process is the download and installation of the AMD Fusion for Gaming v1.0 utility, located here. The application should install fine, even if the system does not have an AMD processor. Attempting to run the application though, without an AMD processor, will result in a notification stating that an AMD processor is required for the application to function.
Now, the next several steps can just be observed, but if you wish to follow along, you will need a debugging application and a system with a non-AMD processor. We used Ollydbg v1.10 for our debugging needs, which can be downloaded for free here.
Open Ollydbg, making sure it is run as an adminstrator, if required. Through Ollydbg, we will open (Menu > File > Open) the main executable of the AMD Fusion for Gaming utility that we had already installed, which has the filename "AMDFusion.exe". Becareful not to confuse this file with the installation file. This file is likely located in the following directory:
C:\Program Files\AMD\AMD Fusion for Gaming 1.0
If you are not already familiar with assembly code or [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]software[/color][/color] debugging, the seemingly cryptic code that should now appear in Ollydbg may take some time to understand. Teaching how to read assembly code though is beyond the scope of this article, but the following steps should still be simple enough to follow even without any previous experience.
As we already know, the AMDfusion.exe application seems to check if the current system uses an AMD processor and halts the applicatoin if there is none present. What we want to do is find and modify this processor-checking portion of code in the application, so that the application either bypasses the processor-check or is tricked it into thinking that we are running an AMD processor.
To do this, we will want to right-click the mouse in the main sub-window of Ollydbg, which should bring up a menu. From this menu, we want to select "Search for" and then "All referenced text strings". This in turn opens up another window, listing all the text strings that the AMDfusion.exe application uses. If you do not see the "Search for" menu option when you right click, you might be right-clicking in the wrong area.
ZoomOn a hunch, we want to look through this list of text strings, keeping our eyes open for anything that may seem suspicious. Less than half of the way down the list, we should see the following suspicious text strings: "AuthenticAMD", "GenuineIntel", "CyrixInstead" and "CentaurHauls". These text strings are CPU identifiers and are likely used in determining what brand of processor the system is using.
Lets find out where in the application these text strings are being used and see if we can modify the code to our favor. To do this, right click the "AuthenticAMD" text string and select from the menu, "Follow in Dissassembler". We should now see where the "AuthenticAMD" text string is being used in the actual code; apparently the "GenuineIntel" text string is used not far away from it either.
Zoom
Now that we are at the portion of code that seems to be where we want to be at, lets start making some modifications. One obvious thing we can try is to just switch the lines of code that the "AuthenticAMD" and "GenuineIntel" text strings are mentioned in. For example, the two lines of code as displayed on our system are "PUSH AMDFusio.00420E64" (for AMD) and "PUSH AMDFusio.00420E54" (for [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Intel[/color][/color]), so switching them around simply means modifying a single digit in each line of code- the 6 and the 5. Simply double click the code you wish to modify to edit it. When you double click on the code, the code might appear a bit different, such as "PUSH 420E54", but do not worry, just modify the single digit that needs changing.
Once we have modified the two lines of code, the debugger should now allow us to run the AMDfusion application on Intel-based systems. To test this out, in Ollydbg lets run the loaded application (Menu > Debug > Run). The AMDfusion application should run now fine on an Intel-based system!
However, the changes we have just made in the debugger to the application are temporary. The actual AMDFusion.exe file was not modifed by the debugger when we modified those lines of code and to do so requires actually altering the file itself manually. This can be accomplished by using a hex editor. Do not quit the debugger yet though if you have it open, we will still need to refer to it in just a bit. If you wish to modify the AMD Fusion for Gaming ultility to work with your Intel-based system, you will need to atleast do the follow steps.
There are several free hex editors available for download online, but the one that we will be using can be found here. Install and open the hex editor, making sure to run the hex editor as an Administrator. Open the AMDFusion.exe file from within the hex editor (Menu > File > Open). Now, from the menu, select "Search" and then "Find". We want to search for the lines of hex code that we modified in the debugger. In our case, the first line of hex code we modified was "68 64 0E 42 00", so we enter that and hit "OK".
Zoom
The hex editor should quickly find the line of code that we are searching for in the AMDFusion.exe file and once it does, we will need to modify it like we did in the debugger. In this case, we need to change "68 64 0E 42 00" to "68 54 0E 42 00". We also need to find the hex code "68 54 0E 42 00" and modify it to "68 64 0E 42 00", while being careful not to confuse it with the line of code we just changed. The above embedded image highlights which bytes of code need changing.
Once we properly modify these two bytes of hex code, we will need to save the file. To be safe, I recommend saving the file as a new file name, such as "IntelFusion.exe". You will not be able to save the file as the original name if the file is in use or is currently running.
Now, you should be able to run the newly modified file from the "AMD Fusion for Gaming 1.0" folder on an Intel-based PC, without problem. We are not responsible however for any problems or issues you may encounter with this procedure, nor do we endorse the modification of the AMDFusion.exe application. It is interesting to note however that bypassing CD checks, trial limitations and product key registrations can often be achieved using a very simliar manner to what was shown here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-Fusion-Game-Utility-Intel,6883.html

Jakl

System Name AMD Fun Rig | Intel Lil' Gaming Rig
Processor 720BE x4 3.4ghz 1.375v | E8400 4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P | eVGA 780i
Cooling Scythe Mugen | TRUE
Memory G.Skill 2x2gb 1600 | 4x1gb Crucial 800
Video Card(s) ATI 3870 | eVGA 9800GTX
Storage 1TB Seagate | 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 24" ASUS VK246H | 28" Acer LCD TV | 40" Sony V4100
Case Lian Li | Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X | Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1200W | PC Silencer 750
Software Win7 64
Why would you want to use AMD's software on intel's chips? Myself I dont think I would make myself to doing so, but is it worth it? I understand this software is suppose to make gaming "faster" , but does Intel have their own software?

W

wolf2009

Why would you want to use AMD's software on intel's chips? Myself I dont think I would make myself to doing so, but is it worth it? I understand this software is suppose to make gaming "faster" , but does Intel have their own software?

no intel doesn't have

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
I wouldn't mess with that if you have an Intel setup.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I wouldn't mess with that if you have an Intel setup.

Considering you really shouldn't be messing with hardware settings if you don't know how to get around in a bios. I tried using this program on an AMD setup and I couldn't stand it. The bios is a much better way to go.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
FYI; This does work and I just compiled and ran it! Here is a SS:

This is on my wife's rig (E1200 + 2600 Pros in Crossfire)

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
FYI; This does work and I just compiled and ran it! Here is a SS:

This is on my wife's rig (E1200 + 2600 Pros in Crossfire)

So bench with and with out and post plz:rolleyes:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Will this weekend. Give you guys a rough estimate on the e5200+3870.