• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Running Linux on parallels

System Name MFCJA
Processor Intel 4770k
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45
Cooling Intel Liquid Cooler
Memory Corsair DDR3 4X4GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 770
Storage 120GB SSD/1TB
Display(s) 23" Acer H233H
Case Corsair Mid Tower
Power Supply Corsair TX850M
Software Windows 7 64 bit
Hello,

I operate a consulting firm here in my home town and have a question that I hope to get some feedback on. I have a client who is currently running OSX server for file sharing purposes and that's pretty much it. One of the employees works over VPN about 130 miles away. For whatever reason, their access to files is slow enough to make operation impossible. I'm talking 10-15 mins to open a document. Now both sites are running comcast business class internet so I am assuming my problem doesn't have anything to do with the connection speed, both are the 50MB package. I have combed the internet and found many people who also experience slow file access over VPN with OSX server and AFP. I have tried a couple of workarounds, i.e. disabling the creation of .DS files and other problematic file types on the share but no dice. Oh and I took over this client about two months ago and I had nothing to do with how all of this was originally setup so preemptive defense for the inevitable burns.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums had experience with running a linux file server on a mac using parallels? If so, does it work well? I heard linux file servers are pretty legit. I personally don't have any experience with them but I am certainly interested now that I have had so many problems with OSX's AFP service.

Buying new hardware or switching to a windows server really isn't an option right now so please don't suggest it, no matter how tempting it may be. I am really interested in some outside of the box ideas here so go nuts.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Linux makes for a great lightweight file server. The problem in running it on Parallels is that the hypervisor which will emulate the hard drive will most likely be slower. If file transfer speed is your issue then setting up a file server in a virtual environment is not the answer.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Why not just use SMB ("Windows Sharing") instead of AFP? Maybe there would not be much difference but certainly worth a try. In the Connect To Server box you just specify smb whereas it defaults to afp if nothing manually input (e.g. smb://your-server/sharepoint...or however they are connecting now just with smb:// specified).

Apple is even dumping AFP in favor of SMB (makes sense to me; don't need multiple protocols in the first place). Think already happened; maybe with 10.9.

System Name MFCJA
Processor Intel 4770k
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45
Storage 120GB SSD/1TB
Case Corsair Mid Tower
Linux makes for a great lightweight file server. The problem in running it on Parallels is that the hypervisor which will emulate the hard drive will most likely be slower. If file transfer speed is your issue then setting up a file server in a virtual environment is not the answer.

Well it's complicated. File transfer becomes slow over VPN when the accessor is over 100 miles from the site. An employee accesses locally over VPN and file transfer speed is fine. Direct LAN access is blazing quick. I've researched this issue quite a bit and even though it sounds unique, it's not. I found many IT managers posting on apple support forums about the slowness of file access over VPN.

From what I have learned so far, you can run linux equipment on minimal hardware. If I can get the costs down, a dedicated Linux box may be a possible solution.

Why not just use SMB ("Windows Sharing") instead of AFP? Maybe there would not be much difference but certainly worth a try. In the Connect To Server box you just specify smb whereas it defaults to afp if nothing manually input (e.g. smb://your-server/sharepoint...or however they are connecting now just with smb:// specified).

From what I understand of the issue, It doesn't matter whether it's SMB or AFP. Apparently the problem resides in how the finder sorts through the hidden excess on the share i.e. the DS_Store files. However, I have downloaded an app on the server that allegedly monitors network shares and removes these files as they are created. Though I have yet to see any improvement since it was installed...

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I still think it's worth a shot. You don't even have to change anything just possibly enable "Windows Sharing" as well and have them try smb://.

Yeah if you were running Linux and sharing smb with Samba there is an easy way to have it delete those files automatically. I agree that running it in Parallels doesn't seem to make a lot of sense offhand though.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
A cheap NAS with raid 1 would fit your needs just fine. No reason to build an entire system for file sharing.

System Name MFCJA
Processor Intel 4770k
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45
Storage 120GB SSD/1TB
Case Corsair Mid Tower
A cheap NAS with raid 1 would fit your needs just fine. No reason to build an entire system for file sharing.
I was definitely thinking this as well. I just don't know where the client's head is at as far as new purchases. From our initial conversations, it was more about making it work with what they have. But this is probably something I should stand my ground on. Now they are a medical office and handle patient data on their shares. I don't know if a NAS will meet HIPAA regulations as well as a file server with multiple layers of authentication. I'll research that now.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
I believe any modern NAS allows you to encrypt the HDD.

System Name MFCJA
Processor Intel 4770k
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45
Storage 120GB SSD/1TB
Case Corsair Mid Tower