• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 570 no signal/blue flickers/random color crashes/artifacts

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Motherboard ASRock B450M Steel Legend
Memory 16 GB (8+8) Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 Gaming RAM
Video Card(s) MSI RX 570 4GB Armor
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB NVMe PCIe3x4 + 1TB WD BLUE HDD
Power Supply ADATA XPG Core Reactor 650W 80Plus Gold Full Modular
Hello. I am new to the forum.

I've been having an issue with my graphics card for a long time. I bought my PC around end of 2018. The GPU worked for several months before it started crashing (the screen would be any random color at a time). Then I would just restart a couple of times and it'd work, but not for long. Then I played a game with normal/slightly high setting (it was The Witcher 3) and it had artifacts on my screen, so I stopped playing that game. Other games worked okay so a while, maybe a few months. Eventually when I start my PC, there would be nothing on my screen, just black and it says no signal. I tried again today by connecting the GPU, it stayed on for like 5 minutes until it crashed into a flickering blue screen (no bsod message). Upon hard restarting Windows would start scanning and repairing my :C drive for unknown reason. So I would say it worked for a bit until it just started dying.

I've also sent this graphics card for an RMA (through the seller I bought it from..), but nothing really changed. I still get crashes, and now I can't even use it at all. At this moment I am using the same computer but since I am using an AMD processor (AMD Ryzen 2200G), I can use the integrated graphics (Vega 8). The RX 570 graphic card is not connected to power or anything (it's just there in the slot..). I am also using the same HDMI cable, and it has no issues when connected to mobo GPU, so it's not the cable.

I have done various of fixes before;
1. DDU'd my graphics driver
2. Checked my Radeon settings, upping and lowering some values. (I do not go overboard), and it's been a while so I forgot the details.
3. Sped up the fans. (In case it's overheating).
4. Checked my UEFI and changed some settings there (I forgot about that too).

There are two slots for the GPU, but since the motherboard is already fixed to the case it is a bit tedious to gain access to that slot as it is blocked by the PSU as well, also I am not sure if that is really the issue, I may have to disconnect and reconnect a lot of cables just to access that so I haven't done that.

The temps when it worked back then wasn't so bad, it was around 85 celcius (during gaming, not normal load), and sometimes it'd worked the whole time I was playing for hours, but the next time I continue it would give in (crashing, etc.).

I also just want to confirm if it's REALLY my graphics card or is it my PSU that fails to give the power it needs? I got a budget not-so-popular PSU and from what I have read, testing the efficiency of a PSU seems difficult, so I need guidance. If it's really about my GPU, I will be buying a new one to replace this one. But before anything, I want to confirm if it's just my GPU and not my PSU.

I will leave the specs below, so I hope anyone can help me out and give me an advice.

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
Ram: 16 GB (8+8) Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL16 Gaming RAM
SSD/HDD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB NVMe PCIe3x4 + 1TB WD BLUE HDD
GPU: MSI RX 570 4GB Armor (right now I'm just using the Vega 8 as I am typing).
PSU: Gamidias E1 RGB 550W 80+ Certified
Chassis: Segotep Prime-L RGB
BIOS Ver.: L2.13A

I really need help, looking forward to responses, thank you guys.

System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello
If it were my video card i would try to do some tests.
1st you should take the video card to another computer. Test it there with a whole new settings. OFC you should clean the drivers from that system using DDU.
Flash the newest main board BIOS, install the latest chipset drivers for that main board and then install RX570 into that system and install the latest video drivers available.
If it works there, then you found out the cause. If not then we go to 2nd step.
2nd step : - flash the newest BIOS file available for your video card and clean your video drivers using DDU, reinstall the latest drivers from AMD and give it a try.
BTW we should have just in case some pictures : white stickers from the card and a GPU-z picture and the system how you have the RX570 fitted in.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
That's not a very good PSU. But i would say it isn't the issue either. I got something similar once, the gpu was dying, got some use from with by undervolting core/mem

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hello
1st you should take the video card to another computer. Test it there with a whole new settings. OFC you should clean the drivers from that system using DDU.
Flash the newest main board BIOS, install the latest chipset drivers for that main board and then install RX570 into that system and install the latest video drivers available.
2nd step : - flash the newest BIOS file available for your video card and clean your video drivers using DDU, reinstall the latest drivers from AMD and give it a try.
BTW we should have just in case some pictures : white stickers from the card and a GPU-z picture and the system how you have the RX570 fitted in.
Yeah trying it in another system will affirm that irs the gpu or psu, that psu raises my eyebrow for sure though.

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Hello

Yeah trying it in another system will affirm that irs the gpu or psu, that psu raises my eyebrow for sure though.

Hello again! Thanks for the input. I have been trying to look for people who have a gaming pc like mine so I can test out my GPU in another setup, but so far no luck. I live in a rural area (I kinda live in are where there are vast amounts of empty land and separated houses), where most computers I can find are either pre-built or they use laptops... I even called up several computer repair shops in my area and they all claim they do not have the PCI-E cable nor a setup so I can test out the GPU.

About the white stickers; I'm not sure what you're referring to, are they the little stickers on the backside of the GPU?
GPU-Z; at this moment it's just not possible since I can't even run the GPU, I got no display signal. Once like I said I could run it 5 minutes +/- until it crashed. I can try getting a photo of the system soon, it's quite late here.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hello again! Thanks for the input. I have been trying to look for people who have a gaming pc like mine so I can test out my GPU in another setup, but so far no luck. I live in a rural area (I kinda live in are where there are vast amounts of empty land and separated houses), where most computers I can find are either pre-built or they use laptops... I even called up several computer repair shops in my area and they all claim they do not have the PCI-E cable nor a setup so I can test out the GPU.

About the white stickers; I'm not sure what you're referring to, are they the little stickers on the backside of the GPU?
GPU-Z; at this moment it's just not possible since I can't even run the GPU, I got no display signal. Once like I said I could run it 5 minutes +/- until it crashed. I can try getting a photo of the system soon, it's quite late here.
Understand this.

Yes the stickers on the back of the card.

Have the monitor hooked up to the Video port on the motherboard (Vega 8) have power hooked up to the rx 570 mounted in the pcie slot, run gpu-z and in gpu-z switch to the rx570 in a tab or pull down menu.

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Understand this.

Yes the stickers on the back of the card.

Have the monitor hooked up to the Video port on the motherboard (Vega 8) have power hooked up to the rx 570 mounted in the pcie slot, run gpu-z and in gpu-z switch to the rx570 in a tab or pull down menu.

I tried what you said, my HDMI hooked to the mobo (as usual), and hooked the power cable to the GPU while its also in the slot. No display signal. GPU fans spin.
One thing I realised is that when I hooked up the power to the GPU, my back-end case fan would not spin properly, when I take the power cable off the GPU it spins alright and my PC would have a display signal under motherboard graphics and Windows would start normally.

With the GPU only slotted into the motherboard with no power, there is no record of it on GPU-Z.

I do not have white stickers on the back, only black/dark coloured stickers with a barcode and my S/N 1/2 written.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Try another power cable.

Also get a pic of that sticker you mentioned

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Try another power cable.

I don't feel exactly comfortable sharing my GPU's serial number online? I don't think that's something people do, correct me if that's wrong.

I'll check if the PSU has another pci-e power cable.

Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
I don't feel exactly comfortable sharing my GPU's serial number online? I don't think that's something people do, correct me if that's wrong.

I'll check if the PSU has another pci-e power cable.
Hello
We do not need your serials. We do not need anything.
All we use from that sticker and serial is the correct vendor ID, sub ID for the video card producer and model.
And on many occasions we asked the owner to open the video card and to post a picture of the memory chips in order to offer a tailored help.
What i mean is : if you need an exact BIOS for your card you need to provide us some technical details.

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Try another power cable.

I tried another power cable, still no luck. GPU fan spins like before, but this time the back-end case fans spin very well too. There is still no signal when I have the video cable hooked up to the Mobo or the GPU itself.

Hello
We do not need your serials. We do not need anything.
All we use from that sticker and serial is the correct vendor ID, sub ID for the video card producer and model.
And on many occasions we asked the owner to open the video card and to post a picture of the memory chips in order to offer a tailored help.
What i mean is : if you need an exact BIOS for your card you need to provide us some technical details.

Okay, if that's the case, how do I get the vendor ID and etc from the serial number?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Do a CMOS/bios reset (read the motherboard manual.

Since the rear case fan runs now it sounds like your psu is faulty.

Id get to a shop for testing the card

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Do a CMOS/bios reset (read the motherboard manual.

Since the rear case fan runs now it sounds like your psu is faulty.

Id get to a shop for testing the card
Thanks for the help again.

I did a CMOS reset before, but that didn't help. Maybe this time will bring results so I will do it again tomorrow.
I am in the process of getting a new PSU since the one I have right now is potentially killing my parts anyways with how much negative reviews on Amazon it gets for their other models (it's not even Bronze, and it's group regulated).

I have written in a previous reply that none of the shops nearby could test it, so I am out of luck.

Hello
Keep in mind that even a certified PSU could fail. So the next one should be more then 600 i recommend to be 750 if you can.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thanks for the help again.

I did a CMOS reset before, but that didn't help. Maybe this time will bring results so I will do it again tomorrow.
I am in the process of getting a new PSU since the one I have right now is potentially killing my parts anyways with how much negative reviews on Amazon it gets for their other models (it's not even Bronze, and it's group regulated).

I have written in a previous reply that none of the shops nearby could test it, so I am out of luck.
No shops can put your card in and run it?

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Hello
Keep in mind that even a certified PSU could fail. So the next one should be more then 600 i recommend to be 750 if you can.
Thanks for the reminder. I eventually was looking up at Cooler Master MWE 750W 80+ Bronze but since there weren't too many reviews compared to the XPG Core Reactor 650W 80+ Gold, I got that one instead.
No shops can put your card in and run it?
Literally no shops. I live in a very rural area that I moved in to like two years ago. The shops in the city does not have the parts to test my stuff, I find it ridiculous myself but that's what I was told.

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Hi again, sorry for the long absence.

I got the XPG Core Reactor 650W and the GPU is working (I am using it right now, using the RX570). But it only works on second restart, first boot no signal. Anybody knows anything that could be an issue?
I have installed the latest AMD drivers.

Hello
Before anything else , please do an update to motherboard BIOS.
Then please install latest chipset drivers.
Keep us informed how it worked

Processor Ryzen 3 2200G
Hello
I have installed the latest chipset drivers and also updated the BIOS to the most stable latest one according to my mobo's manufacturer since more later BIOS updates are not recommended for Raven Ridge CPUs and I don't want to do anything rash.

I will use the PC for a few days or maybe just a day to see if anything changed and if my GPU will respond on first boot. Thanks!

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Hello
can you not go around recommending people flash there bios when its NOT required
if you can't tell at a glance that his issue is likely not firmware related please don't post here

@op my money is on card dying and or that fantastically bad no name psu
./thread

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
can you not go around recommending people flash there bios when its NOT required
if you can't tell at a glance that his issue is likely not firmware related please don't post here

@op my money is on card dying and or that fantastically bad no name psu
./thread
Dude he has been helping many recover cards, he knows what pertnient info to ask, it's the same info I ask.

Most issues are firmware related and fyi sometimes the gop driver in the firmware needs updating...

@eidairaman1 - I won't promise that I will solve a technical problem of any forum member.
But for sure I can promise that I will do my best to put all my experience that I gathered until now in the service of my fellow forum members in an attempt to solve the issue.
Thanks for your support mate!

@OneMoar - Yes I can't pretend that all the cases will be solved if the motherboard BIOS will be updated or if the forum member will change his PSU with a bigger one.
BUT since 1991 I am working with computers at a hardware level, I learned on IBM XT computers and since then I do everything out of passion.
What I suggest to others won't be something I won't do myself.
In the other words I won't test something on a member.

hoodedstraw

I have a XFX 590 FatBoy and that same issue i downgraded to 21.2.3 that fix the issue. Seem there's an issue with the new update and 500 series, Also lowering the core/memory clock can help artifacts. Hope this helps. I recommend running DDU again in safe mode.