1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 580 bad flash!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by robin, Jun 2, 2017.

1. robin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys how are you.

I need help.

I flashed my 6 MSI 580 RX. Unfortunetly the flash gone wrong. The pc booted, and i can't reach Windows. The pc don't reconize the card i think. I made a back up on Windows and one an usb KEY. Do you have an idea ???

PLS HELPPPPP

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to either perform a "blind flash" which can be difficult because you need to know every step in advance (usually by helping yourself with another system).

Or, you can boot the system using another video card next to your misflashed one, designate which card you you want to flash with new BIOS (since you now have 2 cards in the system) and flash it. The extra card is there just to give you video output.

Though, given you're already botched this one, I suggest you find someone computer savvy enough to perform this for you.

Tip for the future, don't flash cards if you're not sure how to do it. What was the reason to flash the card in the first place?

ahujet, Countryside, Nuckles56 and 5 others say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    +1
    What this guy said.

4. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Why did you even flash GPU new in the first place? Flashing BIOS makes sense only if there is some flaw in the original BIOS, when manufacturer would probably recommend flashing certain GPU's.
    For the sake of some super overclock, people should strictly avoid flashing their GPU's unless they have too much money to play such pricey games.

Try starting a PC, enter BIOS and activate iGPU (if you have it on your CPU and if it's deactivated). You can also pull out bricked GPU and insert other GPU if you have it. After that, download the original BIOS for your GPU, format USB drive, create bootable USB and copy flashing software in the same folder as the original BIOS. Insert back your bricked GPU (in case you don't have iGPU), boot into the USB and try re-flashing your GPU. Keep in mind that names for flashing software and the original GPU BIOS shouldn't have more than 8 characters, so if they do, rename them and remember what is what. It's very important to find out how flashing software you are planing to use operates, ie. how properly flash using that particular software. If you are successful, make your GPU as your primary video adapter and boot into windows.

You'll find much more compehensive guide here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

infrared says thanks.
  5. infrared

infrared Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully you can get it working again, good advice from Rej and Komshija.

Let this be a lesson to the new players.. Don't flash your gpu bios unless you have a damn good reason to do it, and can afford to brick the card if it goes wrong!!

dorsetknob, Aquinus and Gasaraki say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  6. robin New Member

Thanks Received:
    All right.Thank you for your advise. I boot on the motherboard graphic card. I am running on windows, OUF. I recognized the 6 cards. I load the original BIOS, but when i restart the computer, and when i change the boot device on PCI EXPRESS, i have got the same problem again. Do you have a solution ?

PS: i'am a miner, that's why i flash my bios. Everything was ok with my 480rx miner, but with this new card (580 rx), i'am not good at all apparently

7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Are you reinstalling the cards post flash, they could still work but more likely not.
    Always flash , uninstall, reboot , reinstall as a basic step.
    Check your using the right bios and confirm the details of your six cards ie are they all identical, i mean really not just visually and are you even flashing the right card ,with six in they would be numbered id 0,1,2,3,4,5.
    I suspect you should pull them and do one at a time , confirm it works then move on to the next.
    Flashing 480s to 580s if thats what you have done is not a straight forward pick any bios flash any bios kind of thing ,you have to choose wisely.
    Just a few points:)

8. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    I bricked a GF4 MX440 about 13 years ago. And I didn't know back then that it could've been resurrected with a PCI graphics card. :)

Is mining toy money still efficient? :eek:

9. robin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

No i have got 2 miners on 480 rx, working perfectly. This one, the third one, is on 580 RX. You right, i will flashing again, unstall catalyst, boot, install catalyst, boot. I will tell you if its work

O just before to start. Which catalyst do you think i should take for the 580 RX. For the 480 rx i take 16.9.2, and everything is perfect, but with the 580 rx i can't install this one. I'am currently with 17.5.2 . Is good for modding or should i take another one ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  10. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    17.5.2 worked ok for me but my bios is modded then checksum corrected so it appears as a genuine unmodded bios, if the bios is seen by catalyst to be modded you can have issues , to check for this try an unmodded bios if you're modded one fails.
    There's a piece of software about called pixel patcher it's made by a guy on overclock.nets forums to patch drivers to install on modded bios and worked when i tried it but I don't recommend it , i got a checksum corrected bios instead as drivers work better.
    In the case of drivers noting a mod they only sort of install ,ie the gpu remains code 43 until you manually update driver which then wont install anything other then an older driver thats not picky about mods from 2016 not ideal.

11. robin New Member

Thanks Received:
    all RIGHT. I try everything................ nothing work. Now i have got another pb. When i want to install the new catalyst, i have got the ati system thread exception not handled (atikmdag.sys). I tried everything, CCLEANER etccc nothing work. And the baddest PB is when i want to boot with PCIE, NOTHING WORK EVEN the bios. I UNPLUG the SSD, and i can't reach the bios. How is that possible ???? If i unplug the PCIE, and boot on the motherboard graphic card it 's good, but no graphic card cause i can't install new driver cause of ATIKMDAG error..

I THINK I NEED THE INFORMATIC GOODDDDD.

PLS Do you have an idea, i spend 14 h on in a raw......

12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Goto sleep for a start i made so many things worse by not having a break.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx

Thats a good resource, try the ati pixel patcher software in the 480-580 conversion bit ,it may help installing drivers , also in device manager try force updating each gpus driver if they are showing as general gpu or code 43 it won't be the latest drivers but it's a start.

13. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    Yes ethereum is!
    Btw:
    1 Bitcoin equals
    2279.02 Euro

14. chaosmassive

Thanks Received:
    oh yeah, right now as I slouching my rig is printing out toy money..

15. robin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is i should rest a little bit. But i can't understand why i can boot with the graphic card. When i unplug the 6 pin charger of the card, it's booting on the bios. I must find in the first place why i can't reach the bios when the graphic card is plug. And that's the pb....

16. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    I know, but does it even pay the power bills what the mining uses?

17. Vya Domus

Vya Domus

Thanks Received:
    :banghead:

Stop flashing cards.

18. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
  19. robin New Member

Thanks Received:

All right i have got some news. So.....i runned on echec mod. I unstall the graphic driver. I can reach windows without the SYSTEM-THREAD - ERROR (atikmag.sys).

The problem is, (and after i think i will be ok) when i want install the new driver, during the installation ..... SYSTEM THREAD ERROR, and the ERROR boot come back.

Do you have an idea about this PROBLEM. (I CAN'T LOOSE AGAINST A MACHINE COME ON)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
  20. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Id go with the pixel patcher i pointed out before unpack driver , run that with admin rights.
    https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
    No virus when i used it

It is what it is people become experts through experience not siting idle :) i get you but hes farming

21. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    @eidairaman1 It's time for the application of your signature!

eidairaman1 and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
  22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    See my signature and the 480-580 bios conversion thread, those may help

dorsetknob and qubit say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. robin New Member

Thanks Received:

All right, I got some news. I think, thats the last STEP, oufffffff. So now, i can reach safe mode and recognized my card. But, if i'am running on Windows without safe mode, i'hve got a screen like our old grandma without channel ;)))). So no pb on safe mode, but big pb without. So i'am trying currently to flash the bios with the original setting. The problem is i can't open ATIWINFLASH on safe mode. I'am trying to run as administrator (right click, run as admin), but i'have got a message like i'am not administrator.
    Even if i'am trying with command prompt admin.

Do you have an idea ? last stepppppp i hope

24. Final_Fighter

Thanks Received:
    download the rx580 flash files i uploaded from this thread:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/xfx-rx480-8gb-flashed-to-saphire-rx580.232489/

you will need win rar to extract them. go to the thread i posted and read "Bios Flashing" and "Recovery" Sections. the steps are exactly the same for the rx580 and rx480.

EDIT: make sure that you flash the correct card! its recommended to remove all other cards from the system before performing the bios update.

EDIT 2: i forgot to ask, What model do you have? 4gb or 8gb. the files i uploaded will only work for the 8gb card. i can modify the files so that they will work on the 4gb version.

EDIT 3: removed uploaded file on this post. please go to post #27 for updated files

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  25. robin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi big hope on you...... need for msi 580 4go and msi 570 4go.

Hopeeee