• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 580 Fan problem.

Hi there,
I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB which has fans which randomly ramp up and slow down, despite saying in Afterburner, HWINFO64, AMD Radeon Software saying that the RPM is more or less constant. When this occurs, I have reduced the fan speed manually in software, and it sounds like it is reducing but still has the annoying loud sound. I've already set my personal fan curve in radeon software and this still doesn't fix the issue, other people have suggested me to set a fan curve in Afterburner, I tried that, it doesn't help. I think it might be a fan connection issue as it spontaneous and lasts for a random amount of time. I will attach a video showing this, you may hear a fan bearing noise but thats from my CPU fan. In this video, at first you can hear the fan speed going up and down randomly, I then change the fan speed after the problem has passed to show the loudness.

Attachments

• Video.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 419
System Name Gaming1 / Office 2
Processor Intel i7 7700k@4.8ghz / Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard MSI 270 SLI PLUS / MSI MAG X570S - TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
Cooling ID-Cooling Frostflow X 120 - Liquid / ID-Cooling SE-903 V2
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 Black / 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL - 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5700XT THICC III Ultra 8GB / XFX RX 6600XT 8GB
Storage 1st : 1x SSD Samsung 870 Evo 1Tb + 4x SAS HDD in RAID / 2nd : 1 Tb SSD Nvme Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Display(s) 2x Dell 3008 WFP
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 / GENESIS IRID 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster XFI / Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W / Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech G5
Keyboard Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205 / Dell SmartCard Reader SK 3205
Software 1st - Win 10 Pro X64 / Win 7 X86 / Ubuntu / 2nd - Windows 11 Pro x64
Hello mate
Is there any chance to take your video card out from computer, and use compressed air to clean it (somewhere outside your room of course) ?
I had once same problem with one of my card, dust is an enemy for cooling ...so cleaning it is the 1st step.
If after this step you still have fluctuation in fan speed that is a sign that you should check the cooling pads from memory and the cooling paste from video chip.
On one card I had the cooling paste on the processor hardened and it no longer transfers heat correctly to the radiator, so i cleaned it using ear buds, after that i used isopropyl alcohol to clean all the remaining of the old paste, then i applied new paste on it and ....6 grades celsius cooler then before.
It is not a guarantee, but at least what i tell you here is from my experience

Hello mate
Is there any chance to take your video card out from computer, and use compressed air to clean it (somewhere outside your room of course) ?
I had once same problem with one of my card, dust is an enemy for cooling ...so cleaning it is the 1st step.
If after this step you still have fluctuation in fan speed that is a sign that you should check the cooling pads from memory and the cooling paste from video chip.
On one card I had the cooling paste on the processor hardened and it no longer transfers heat correctly to the radiator, so i cleaned it using ear buds, after that i used isopropyl alcohol to clean all the remaining of the old paste, then i applied new paste on it and ....6 grades celsius cooler then before.
It is not a guarantee, but at least what i tell you here is from my experience
Hey, thanks for the response but I don’t think it’s any problem with temperatures, I’m getting around 50 degrees C in forza horizon 4.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Check what is causing it to randomly ramp up and slow down first. Start from the temperature readings, check if the temperature readings are rapidly changing when the fan randomly ramps up and slows down, you should be able to see the temperature record in afterburner.

ZzzZombi

Hey there. Have the same GPU and same problem. A bit different though. Only one of the two fans does this. It goes up to 3000 RPM without any GPU load and at 30 degrees. In most programs it only shows fan percentage (for example in Radeon Software) as zero percent. Tried switching fans, manual curve, automatic with no solution. One fan still ramps up to 3000 RPM in miliseconds and stays there for minutes. Stops for a while then starts again.

Here's a GPUZ screenshot to show what I mean:
tech.gif

Hey there. Have the same GPU and same problem. A bit different though. Only one of the two fans does this. It goes up to 3000 RPM without any GPU load and at 30 degrees. In most programs it only shows fan percentage (for example in Radeon Software) as zero percent. Tried switching fans, manual curve, automatic with no solution. One fan still ramps up to 3000 RPM in miliseconds and stays there for minutes. Stops for a while then starts again.

Here's a GPUZ screenshot to show what I mean:
View attachment 202056
I might email Sapphire support with this issue. It seems as though literally no one has this issue after I tried researching if people had this. I’ll get back to you with what they say.

ZzzZombi

I might email Sapphire support with this issue. It seems as though literally no one has this issue after I tried researching if people had this. I’ll get back to you with what they say.
Yes, can't seem to find anything about it other than the usual "clean fans, reinstall driver" threads and posts. I'd much appreciate it if you let me know when you get a reply. Thank you.

But am I also not sure if it’s just one fan or both, because I think I can hear a normal noise level alongside with a higher annoying noise level

ZzzZombi

But am I also not sure if it’s just one fan or both, because I think I can hear a normal noise level alongside with a higher annoying noise level
Just put your hand under GPU, you can feel if both is running or not. Currently I installed and old version of Saphire Trixx and set the fan speed to Auto there. I also made it run on startup. Seems quite for now. Will report if it works.

Just put your hand under GPU, you can feel if both is running or not. Currently I installed and old version of Saphire Trixx and set the fan speed to Auto there. I also made it run on startup. Seems quite for now. Will report if it works.
Okay, I'll do that when it randomly happens, its also quite annoying with the new trixx and how they removed the tools like setting fan speed, oc and another stuff, it seems quite basic now. Thanks maybe sapphire trixx should fix it, hopefully.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
if you have both Trixx and AB installed that might be why the fan is acting stupid. each have a running service that could be competing against the other.

ZzzZombi

if you have both Trixx and AB installed that might be why the fan is acting stupid. each have a running service that could be competing against the other.
I thought about that but no, never had them installed at the same time. By the way using old Trixx with Auto fan setting seems to be working so far. Never had any unusual fan speeds and temps since I installed it. Might be something else and I'm just trying to be optimistic about it though :). We'll see in the long run I guess.

I thought about that but no, never had them installed at the same time. By the way using old Trixx with Auto fan setting seems to be working so far. Never had any unusual fan speeds and temps since I installed it. Might be something else and I'm just trying to be optimistic about it though :). We'll see in the long run I guess.
This is what they replied back to me, sent a video as well.
"Please check below steps.

1. Update motherboard to latest version.

2. Clear motherboard CMOS.

3. Format the HDD and reinstall Win10 X64 and then update to version 2004 by using windows update.

4. Update motherboard chipset driver to latest version

5. Make sure the Windows OS you are using up to date with all patches release from Microsoft.

6. Remove all you previous card drivers (Nvidia or ATI drivers)

7. Install Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.5.2 Optional driver"

This is what they replied back to me, sent a video as well.
"Please check below steps.

1. Update motherboard to latest version.

2. Clear motherboard CMOS.

3. Format the HDD and reinstall Win10 X64 and then update to version 2004 by using windows update.

4. Update motherboard chipset driver to latest version

5. Make sure the Windows OS you are using up to date with all patches release from Microsoft.

6. Remove all you previous card drivers (Nvidia or ATI drivers)

7. Install Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.5.2 Optional driver"
Now told me it’s a fan issue, so I’m going to buy it, If that doesn’t work then idk what will.

Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard msi h61m-p31/w8
Cooling Cooler Master Blizzard T2
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4gb ddr3 1333 CL8
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 4gb Pulse
Storage WDC Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 23mp68vq
Case Thermaltake V4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12II 520w
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit sp1
I have the same card and experienced the same problem. What I did was thoroughly clean the pcie pins, the pcie slot on the motherboard and the back of the gpu chip. The fans are running fine after that cleaning

I have the same card and experienced the same problem. What I did was thoroughly clean the pcie pins, the pcie slot on the motherboard and the back of the gpu chip. The fans are running fine after that cleaning
Nice, I have recently now cleaned my fans contacts which has corrosion on where the contacts meet and now it’s fixed.

ZzzZombi

I'm a little bit late but just wanted to say "using old Trixx with Auto fan" thing still works. But I also reverted to recommended latest AMD driver instead of optional one and that might have had an effect as well. Either way, for future reference, if anyone else experiences the same problem, first try using the recommended driver (which is 21.4.1 as of now) then try other options if it doesn't help.

Funtastic

Okay, if anyone still has this issue or comes across this looking for answers I found the solution 12 months back.

The issue was the fan connector, not the plug that connects into the board, but on the Sapphire RX580's each fan has its own connector. Remove the one screw holding the fan into place > pop the fan out and clean the copper pads on the fan. This is great for replacing the fans so easily, but obviously a con due to this issue.

I was experiencing one fan that had a mind of its own, ignoring the fan curve and spinning up at random, and staying at 100% at times. I've cleaned the fan connectors twice in 2 years and fixes it every time

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Okay, if anyone still has this issue or comes across this looking for answers I found the solution 12 months back.

The issue was the fan connector, not the plug that connects into the board, but on the Sapphire RX580's each fan has its own connector. Remove the one screw holding the fan into place > pop the fan out and clean the copper pads on the fan. This is great for replacing the fans so easily, but obviously a con due to this issue.

I was experiencing one fan that had a mind of its own, ignoring the fan curve and spinning up at random, and staying at 100% at times. I've cleaned the fan connectors twice in 2 years and fixes it every time
Id probably add a copper shim on the contacts to increase tension

Funtastic

The pads are quite small and 3 of them. This would require soldering which I'm not sure how that would go. I could quite easily tin it though

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
The pads are quite small and 3 of them. This would require soldering which I'm not sure how that would go. I could quite easily tin it though
Try it