• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 580 No Longer POSTing

aglopz

Figure I'd leave you with my system specs:

i5 2400
Lenovo Thinkcecntre M81 Mobo, Q65 chipset
16gb DDR3
120gb SSD
240gb SSD
GTX 660ti (prior to this RX 580)

I recently purchased a used Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4gb. After its initial installation, it had worked. I used DDU to uninstall my gtx 660ti drivers. It POSTed, I had drivers installed, was even able to play a few games. Whille monitoring GPU and Mem Clock speeds I noticed thatt GPU clock speed was maxing out at 1150Mhz and Mem clock was maxing out at 2000. I realized that was a bit odd, since stock should be GPU 1411Mhz and Mem 1750Mhz. So I thought to myself, this definitely must have been mined on and the bios was flashed to difference clock speeds. So I went and tried to flash the bios to stock on my own. Unfortunately I did not save the BIOS that the GPU was shipped to me with. I flipped the bios switch to the side that did not have the "mined" bios installed. No go, no boot. So i flashed it. Bam boom flash. My RX 580 was flashed. Restarted my computer, and got nada. No POST, keyboard and mouse not lighting up. So I flipped the switch back, it booted. I was back in Windows. So i figured lemme try to flash this side of the bios switch. Ended up not being able to POST. Unfortunately, I was afraid I did some bad flashing.

I lent my 580 to my friend, where he was able to successfully flash the card. He used it on his system, even played a few games to test it out. GREAT! I was excited, let's do this! I got my card back, popped it in. WOMP. I was still in the same spot as before. No POST, no booting into Windows. When powering on my PC, the card lights up and fans are spinning, no signal, no POST, no boot. Ive tried to clear the cmos, reset the mobo bios, re-set ram, re-set the gpu. I wasn't getting anywhere. so I was hoping someone may have some insight. Thanks in advance.

Processor FX 8320 @4.2 | i7 2600 @3.8 | Xeon W3670 @ 3.6
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth R2.0 | Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe | Gigabyte X58-UD7
Cooling Zalman Performa 10+ | Zalman Performa 11+ | Zalman Performa 10+
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB @ 1866 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB @1866 | Samsung 24GB @ 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 390x | Zotac GTX 1070 AMP Extreme | Zotac GTX 980 AMP Extreme
Storage Intel SSD / SAS 15k Fujitsu | Intel SSD / Velociraptors / Hitachi 2TB | Intel SSD / Samsung 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 245T | HP ZR30w | IBM 20" 4x3
Case Chieftec | Corsair Graphite 600T | Thermaltake Xaser IV
Audio Device(s) SB Titanium HD | SB Titanium HD | SB X-fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thermaltake 875W | Corsair 850W | Thermaltake 1500W
Mouse Logitech | Logitech | Logitech
Keyboard Mitsumi Classic | Microsoft |Microsoft
Software W7 x64 | W7 x64 |W7 x64 / XP x32
try to play with EFI settings in mobo BIOS

Wraakeen

Go to bios and enable/force enable CSM. If you have secure boot enabled, try turning that off too. And then try again. i recently faced this issue a week back and successfully flashed and booted up my dead RX 480. Working rock stable since then, no problem. If you need the stock bios, search from the TechpowerUp GPU BIOS database.

If you buy a second hand card, the first think I would check is that both firmware is working & the last thing I would do is flash both BIOS.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
you will get the best info on your card with GPU-Z.

according to sapphire's site, some nitro+ models have UEFI bios, others do not or have legacy+uefi, i'm not sure if this is a hardware difference but it most definitely is a bios difference

in your bios settings, you may have options for 'uefi' vs 'uefi+legacy', maybe try enabling legacy

also according to sapphire, bios2 is for compute rather than two gaming modes (or was, now that you flashed over both)

(if you had 8gb, i could have acquired both bioses in case TPU's database is missing something)

aglopz

@kn00tcn hmm..I have teh 4gb model..it likely does have the UEFI BIOS. Would it be possible that the "mining" bios it previously had was legacy, which was why it worked, but once I got it flashed it now has the UEFI BIOS? I hope I'm understanding this properly.
@DeathtoGnomes currently cant get any info off of GPU-Z unless I use my friends system.
@Wraakeen i'll check that out as well. The BIOS that got flashed onto the 580 were the ones from the TPU database, for the 4gb card.

Thanks again for the input guys, appreciate it.

I've realized there is one more thing I could try. Would be to do a complete fresh install of Windows 10...any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Wraakeen

Nope, if the problem was related to windows, it would be able to POST, then screw up. As it is unable to POST, at all, it is not a problem with windows itself. Reinstalling it won't change anything.

Wraakeen

BTW, my RX 480 also has dual bios. I fucked up both bios in some way while I was mining but I flashed back to my original BIOS (I lost original one, TPU doesn't have my exact GPU listed in VBIOS database, downloaded the closest one) on one of the bioses a week back. I flashed the other bios (other bios switch) with the bios mentioned above JUST NOW and booted up. So, I now have two fully working bios. Just to elaborate, when I had my faulty bios, my pc wouldn't POST, just gave 1 long and 3 short beeps. Then I switched to iGPU, flashed the RX 480 with stock bios and booted with the eGPu, now, it didn't give the beeps but there was nothing on screen. Then I again went back to iGPU, enabled CSM (Compatibility Support Module/AKA legacy mode) and then switched to eGPU again, voila, now it POSTs and displays to the monitor correctly.

Hope I have clarified my statement and helped you in some way.

TLDR: As it works on ur friends PC and not urs, your GPU is fine, just need to flip some switch on ur BIOS config, thats all. And also just make sure, the GPU is seated properly.

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
also try a different display connection on the rear of card like DVI or other ports just to see if its displaying anything from those.

aglopz

also try a different display connection on the rear of card like DVI or other ports just to see if its displaying anything from those.
Yea, I've definitely tried that. No POST, Keyboard and mouse don't power up.