• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX480 4GB flashed with 8GB vbios?

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
I heard AMD removed BIOS Signature Check in recent driver.

kosmpryw

I heard AMD removed BIOS Signature Check in recent driver.
Assuming you re-started the PC after the flash and it failed then there are AMD flashing tools that allow bypass of signatures and ID's but for the life of me I cannot find the link, your original problem regarding drivers not installing is likely to be because the previous owner flashed the card and the drivers do a signature verification check on installation which his flash is likely to have borked, it may well be the issue now too with this flash.
I think that my main problem now is that my GPU doesn`t start at all without bridging 1th and 8th pin of bios chip. I understand that there could be also signature issue too but as far i try to understand the whole process first we need to make that card bootable, and then eventually fight the error 43 which was seen previously (when card was booting normally) .
My attention is on CPU-Z which says: 0GB GPU memory. I`ve seen some similiar topics here and theirs CPU-z didn`t show memory as 0GB`s. Isn`t that some point to start?

I need to inspect ram.
I already attached picture of ram in first post. You want me to take another pictures?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
H5GC4H24AJR R0C.

Ok by ram chip spec it's a 4GB card, 0.5 GB×8chips= 4GB.

I will look.

Make sure all power cords are hooked up to gpu, make sure gpu is fully inserted into pcie slot.

Use this tool, follow the EASY AMD Flash video in my signature.

Verified bios

Unverified
Latest bios

Older

This one has 2000MHz Ram

In the event the GUI Flash doesnt work follow this command

Since the Subsystem ID will be changing slightly you will need to do a force flash in an administrator privileged command prompt. (Find cmd in start menu right click and open as administrator)

If that is not performed you may receive the stupid 0FL error.

Then follow this command

Enter this command first

Amdvbflash.exe -unlockrom 0

Then enter this command

amdvbflash -f -p 0 XXXX .rom

Note: XXXX is the name of the VBIOS file you downloaded. You can also change the downloaded file name to a simple name.

Otherwise you do it this way:

Create a new text file in your ATIFlash directory, name it FLASH.bat, and place this code into it:

@Echo off
cls

echo Flashing card 0 with BIOS.rom...
echo.
amdvbflash -p 0 -f BIOS.rom
echo.

pause
Assuming the new BIOS you want to flash onto your card is named BIOS.rom, this is the BIOS it will use for flashing.

Save your changes, then run the batch file by double-clicking on it.

Once you've received a success message, reboot your computer for the new BIOS to come into effect. If you can boot into Windows successfully, then that's good! (Note: your screen may flicker for a bit, because you basically have a new card, and Windows is trying to recognize it. If you want to be thorough, go ahead and do a clean re-install of your graphics drivers.)

kosmpryw

H5GC4H24AJR R0C.

I will look.

Make sure all power cords are hooked up to gpu, make sure gpu is fully inserted into pcie slot.

Verified bios

Unverified
Latest bios

Older

This one has 2000MHz Ram

Since the Subsystem ID will be changing slightly you will need to do a force flash in an administrator privileged command prompt. (Find cmd in start menu right click and open as administrator)

Then follow this command

Enter this command first

Then enter this command

Note: XXXX is the name of the VBIOS file you downloaded. You can also change the downloaded file name to a simple name.

Create a new text file in your ATIFlash directory, name it FLASH.bat, and place this code into it:

@Echo off
cls

echo.
echo.

pause
Assuming the new BIOS you want to flash onto your card is named BIOS.rom, this is the BIOS it will use for flashing.

Once you've received a success message, reboot your computer for the new BIOS to come into effect. If you can boot into Windows successfully, then that's good! (Note: your screen may flicker for a bit, because you basically have a new card, and Windows is trying to recognize it. If you want to be thorough, go ahead and do a clean re-install of your graphics drivers.)
Thanks. Will try this today evening and post result.

H5GC4H24AJR R0C.

I will look.

Verified bios

Unverified
Latest bios

Older

This one has 2000MHz Ram

Then follow this command

Enter this command first

Then enter this command

@Echo off
cls

echo.
echo.

pause

Man, you`re genius!
My GPU is working again!

I`ve flashed newest signed BIOS - didn`t help.
I`ve flashed newest unsigned BIOS - didn`t help.
I`ve flashed oldest unsigned BIOS - didn`t help but I was able to boot my PC without bridge on 1th and 8th pin of bios chip.
THEN
I`ve flashed BIOS for 2000MHz memories and VOILA - it boots normally but error 43 in device manager
I`ve run atimdag-patcher - now all is fully working

Many thanks to all you guys, keep up good work you`re doing here.
Biggest credits goes to eidairaman1 - you`ve recovered my GPU!
PS. now my CPU-Z looks like on pic attached.

OK, I have some more informations:
1. flashing with unsigned BIOS (GPU ram boosted to 2000MHz) gives result as on picture (after flashing GPU is visible in diveice manager, PC boots up normally (without bridging BIOS pins) but GPU in Windows gives 43 error
2. applying atikmdag-patcher gives away 43 error, GPU starts to working normally
3. flashing again signed GPU BIOS gives black screen, PC doesn`t boot
4. going back to unsigned BIOS (GPU ram boosted to 2000MHz) makes GPU visible again, with 43 error - to make it work I have to apply atikmdag-patcher

Questions - what all that does mean? Why my GPU doesn`t work on stock (signed) BIOS? How revert back to stock BIOS (or at least how to make GPU work normally without need to patch it?)

Attachments

• 20200127_231326.jpg
    20200127_231326.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 20200128_105552.jpg
    20200128_105552.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 20200128_111740.jpg
    20200128_111740.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

kosmpryw

Conclusion - the only BIOS files which are working (so I don`t need to bridge bios pins to boot up) are:

1. modded bios with GPU memory clock boosted to 2000MHz

2. signed BIOS for MSI RX480 4GB Gaming (without X, even knowing that my GPX have stickers with Gaming X sign on it)

Both those BIOS are working ok, booting ok without 43 error - but I`ve noticed that after starting some GPU stress (Furmark or Unigine heaven) and some time (few minutes) PC hangs. I`ve also noticed that when I`m starting PC then fans are spinning as usual but when windows have finished to boot up fans are stopped and doesn`t spin at all. I`ve installed MSI Afterburner and I can manually make fans run at certain speed but in auto they`re stuck.

Does anyone have idea why my GPU doesn`t accept Gaming X bios? What to do to make it work....

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Apply fresh thermal compound to gpu die.

What are your complete system specs?

Its possible heatsink came from a different card. Just use afterburner to push it to x specs in clocks..

kosmpryw

Apply fresh thermal compound to gpu die.

What are your complete system specs?

Its possible heatsink came from a different card. Just use afterburner to push it to x specs in clocks..
Already added new thermal paste.

My pc spec is poor as it`s basic pc, not for gaming (celeron cpu, 4GB ram, 400W PSU). Yes, I know that my PSU should be better (and will in next few days) and of course it might be me the reason why PC hangs and crashes but it has nothing to do with fans at 0 speed and my card not accepting only BIOS from Gaming, not Gaming X.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Get a 500 watt seasonic or superflower,

kosmpryw

I`ve already ordered better PSU.
But I have doubt if the PSU is the reason why I can`t flash it with file designed to that specific model and also why my fans are at 0 speed.

Do you know where to find older BIOS files for RX480 4GB Gaming (not X)? I`d like to try but I`m unable to source them....

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I`ve already ordered better PSU.
But I have doubt if the PSU is the reason why I can`t flash it with file designed to that specific model and also why my fans are at 0 speed.

Do you know where to find older BIOS files for RX480 4GB Gaming (not X)? I`d like to try but I`m unable to source them....

Verified

Unverified

kosmpryw

Verified

Unverified
unsigned doesn`t work at all (black screen after reboot). signed you`ve provided is the one which i was using previously so it works all except the fans (after booting windows). isn`t there are other signed rom`s for Gaming?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Those are it, msi isn't a priority for amd unfortunately, not many had msi cards like asus etc.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Cooling ID Cooling SE_225-XT Black with noctua fans
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB TWIN EDGE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
A lot of the RX series cards have idle fan stop when in windows so good chance it's normal for your card aswell.
As for fans spinning up when first turning the pc on that is also normal going by what my old rx480 and current rx580 do.
Code 43 issue could be down to your motherboard bios just not liking these cards.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
A lot of the RX series cards have idle fan stop when in windows so good chance it's normal for your card aswell.
As for fans spinning up when first turning the pc on that is also normal going by what my old rx480 and current rx580 do.
Code 43 issue could be down to your motherboard bios just not liking these cards.

It is a pretty old system, if the mobo doesnt have UEFI or the gpu doesnt have csm it may fail, thank goodness rx500 and older can be modified for CSM.

Code 43 i typically pull the mobo clean all slots out with contact cleaner/air, check card pins,seat the card firm and square in slot.