• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen 1700 Pins Bent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the broken pin. Has anyone identify the pin via the PDF docs?
Does anyone have the AM4 PDF Docs?

That's a easy fix as it's on the outside. What make it even better, the base of the pin is also gone, so it's already just a direct replacement.
It's also AMD fault, as solder is normally much stronger & the base of the pin in most cases should still be attached to the PCB. So over time with a few inserts, it may of broken off anyway.

Last edited:
It may be an extra ground or power pin. don't worry if its just 1; there are several.
Was anybody ever able to locate a socket am4 pin assignment?

It’s already confirmed to be a data pin of sorts...

As said previously, you will get a rejected warranty claim. You’re wasting your time.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I always run prime 95 first to get things hot then I shut down and twist the cooler off. If you do it on a cold system, the thermal paste will be rock hard and it won't separate easily.

Your system is likely still salvageable. You can use a credit card to align all the pins by combing it through gently and pushing on the pins. A small needle can be used as well to push on the bent pin alone. You can also use the eye of the needle to grab the tip of the bent pin. Just be very smooth and gentle to avoid torquing the pin off. The hollow tip of a plastic mechanical pencil can also be used if you have one handy.

For the missing pin, a solid copper wire/pin can be inserted into the motherboard socket to close the gap but you have to be careful with doing this. You would have to make sure that you put the wire into the proper hole. If you put it in the wrong hole you could permanently damage the CPU and motherboard.

Last edited:
It’s already confirmed to be a data pin of sorts...

As said previously, you will get a rejected warranty claim. You’re wasting your time.

If it's a data pin, then it must be repaired, otherwise you will get errors.

If you insert a CPU a few times into a socket & a pin falls off who's fault is it? Assuming you done everything correctly.
There going to be the odd CPU where it is not soldered correctly. I have never seen a CPU where the base of the pin is completely gone, it's normally still attached with the pin bent or completely broken off. This looks to me like a soldering fault, as after many heat cycles & a few inserts it would most likely would have broken off anyway.

I just did a google & I can't find any PGA CPU with a broken pin with the "base of the pin" missing. This is pointing towards a soldering fault on AMD side.

EDIT: I have a few dead PGA CPU here, do you know how hard it is to break off the base of the pin. I just tried on a 939 CPU with a pair of pliers, not a single base of the pin broke off, not one. Anyone can try this on a dead PGA CPU they don't care about.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
TL DR

Just RMA the CPU. This is AMD's fault.
Da FUQ? This isn't AMD's fault. When a heatsink is removed properly, with a slight twist to help break that 'seal' and/or when its still warm and the paste is less viscous, it comes right off. You've (the OP) has had AMD CPUs with pins forever. This isn't new, how to take the heatsink off.

You can try to RMA the CPU damaged by human error... I would be 100% honest and see what AMD says. Sorry that happened man. I hope they return it for you.

EDIT: You already RMA'd it.. the only way they will accept it is if you lied. :(

Last edited:

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
I always run prime 95 first to get things hot then I shut down and twist the cooler off. If you do it on a cold system, the thermal paste will be rock hard and it won't separate easily.

Your system is likely still salvageable. You can use a credit card to align all the pins by combing it through gently and pushing on the pins. A small needle can be used as well to push on the bent pin alone. You can also use the eye of the needle to grab the tip of the bent pin. Just be very smooth and gentle to avoid torquing the pin off. The hollow tip of a plastic mechanical pencil can also be used if you have one handy.

For the missing pin, a solid copper wire/pin can be inserted into the motherboard socket to close the gap but you have to be careful with doing this. You would have to make sure that you put the wire into the proper hole. If you put it in the wrong hole you could permanently damage the CPU and motherboard.
Credit card is too thick, AM4 has much pins than AM2-3+ processors. A razor blade could do the trick.

edit: And depends of the TIM used, but that's a good advice.

You can try to RMA the CPU damaged by human error... I would be 100% honest and see what AMD says. Sorry that happened man. I hope they return it for you.
Exactly. One buddy of the Internetz tried to RMA an i5-4690K which he damaged when delidded the CPU.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Last edited:
You can also try taking it to a jewler... they have the tools and one helped me fix bent pins in an intel socket before. He just told me he isn't responsible for making it worse, etc.

To me, this is a sad case of live and learn. I wouldn't have RMA'd it knowing I broke it (again without being 100% honest).

You can also try taking it to a jewler... they have the tools and one helped me fix bent pins in an intel socket before. He just told me he isn't responsible for making it worse, etc.

To me, this is a sad case of live and learn. I wouldn't have RMA'd it knowing I broke it (again without being 100% honest).

That's what he should be doing, being 100% honest. AMD will have a professional tools to straighten CPU pins, but they biggest concern will be how the base of the pin got detached. This is where they main focus will be on, "Soldering quality" of the pin(s), & this is where the OP has the upper hand even if he removed the CPU incorrectly. It's no easy task to break off the base of the pin. Under a microscope they should see this as a soldering fault.

If he had broken the pin completely & the base of the pin was still attached, then that would be 100% OP fault.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Credit card is too thick, AM4 has much pins than AM2-3+ processors. A razor blade could do the trick.

edit: And depends of the TIM used, but that's a good advice.

Exactly. One buddy of the Internetz tried to RMA an i5-4690K which he damaged when delidded the CPU.
I had a friend who spilled soda into his pc after his mouse cord caught the can and upended it into the roof of his Coolermaster HAF912. The machine turned off and wouldn't power back on. I suspected he damaged his motherboard. It might have been fixable with a good cleaning. I said, hang on, I will come by in a day or two and take it apart and see if it can be fixed. He couldn't wait and ended up yanking out the CPU. RIP Phenom-II X6 1100T. Yanked out a few pins, bent a few pins. A real shame because I could have heated it with a hair dryer and then twisted the heatsink off no problem. I think he tried to straighten it too and bent the remainder. It was a mess.

That's what he should be doing, being 100% honest. AMD will have a professional tools to straighten CPU pins, but they biggest concern will be how the base of the pin got detached. This is where they will focus on "soldering quality" of the pin(s) & this is where the OP has the upper hand even if he removed the CPU incorrectly. It's no easy task to break of the base of the pin.

If he had broken the pin completely & the base of the pin was still attached then it will be 100% OP fault.

If you yank really hard on the CPU because you can't get the heatsink off, you can easily pull a pin off.

If you yank really hard on the CPU because you can't get the heatsink off, you can easily pull a pin off.
EXACTLY. I picture this as a bull in a china shop thing, honestly. I've pulled out AMD processors before by the heatsink, but it was straight up and nothing was bent (lucky!!!). BUt if there is any sideways action to it, which is easy to do regardless, its over.

Regardless, the CPU worked when it was installed properly (pin was attached) and then bent broke when it was removed (improperly) using excessive force and not releasing the latch. Anyone with AMD processors and who has swapped heatsinks in the past should be aware of this.

I say ask these guys if they do cpu repins.

https://callnerds.com/cpu-processor-repair/

I do not recommend this method to fix a broken CPU pin. You will get intermittent HR, which will lead to data errors.

and ended up yanking out the CPU. RIP Phenom-II X6 1100T. Yanked out a few pins, bent a few pins. A real shame because I could have heated it with a hair dryer and then twisted the heatsink off no problem. I think he tried to straighten it too and bent the remainder. It was a mess.

I'm sure ya'll will hate this; but pop it back in
and see if it works!!! If it gets past POST, run memtest, prime95...or whatever to see
if it comes back with errors; if not, great....but the possibility is there that more damage could be done
by trying to fix it.

What data pin is it? Are there any qualified AMD Engineers here?

Electronics & Computers can sometimes be more
resilient than most of us make them out to be. Sometimes things work
when there not supposed too .The opposite can be true
also. Just my 25 years experience with computers and electronics talking here.

As for the dues other serious issues; Maybe Jesus can help with those?....

I'd send him some free spare parts; but I have only Intel now.
All older Xeon stuff.....

take care all

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I do not recommend this method to fix a broken CPU pin. You will get intermittent HR, which will lead to data errors.

What the piss is HR?

Not a given. I just tested this on a 939 CPU with the lever "still closed", all pins still attached.

OP would have removed the CPU with the lever opened. If you have the lever open, how are you pulling against the pins do detached the base of the pins. Don't take my word for it, I advised any user here to "try this now" on any dead CPU/motherboard to see if they can remove the base of the pin & post result.

Can you show me other photos of CPU(s) with the base of the pin missing? As this is the first time I have seen this in this thread. Even the videos in this thread still has the base of the pin still attached to the PCB.

What the piss is HR?

HR=High Resistance. Anyone who does electronics will know this.

Last edited:
Not a given. I just tested this on a 939 CPU with the lever "still closed", all pins still attached.
Nobody says it happens every time. But it does happen and this is exactly the reason. That pin may or may not have been hanging by a thread, but clearly dude yanked on this and borked others in the process. Its not a leap to think that force did it. And again, it worked 100% before... so no "HR" or anything if the thing was loose.

Mouse Zowie EC3-C
In my friend's case, he had the lever shut, he was trying to pull his ASETEK 550LC (oem H50) off and it tore the CPU out with it with the lever still shut, and took the pins with it. I wasn't there for it, but that is my understanding. He had the H50 sitting there with the CPU still glued to the back of it.
Nobody says it happens every time. But it does happen and this is exactly the reason. That pin may or may not have been hanging by a thread, but clearly dude yanked on this and borked others in the process. Its not a leap to think that force did it. And again, it worked 100% before... so no "HR" or anything if the thing was loose.

Agree with you. What Delshay is also saying about high resistance is if you insert a pin into the socket to replace a missing pin on the CPU, the contact with the CPU's remaining solder pad will be intermittant and you will have high resistance, high heat, and it will at best interfere with stability and at worst cause a burned pad. If you use a nice thick piece of copper wire that is a bit longer so it presses against the solder pad it will probably work though. There are a number of people who have done this in the past.

Last edited:
Nobody says it happens every time. But it does happen and this is exactly the reason. That pin may or may not have been hanging by a thread, but clearly dude yanked on this and borked others in the process.

Can you help by showing me more examples of the base of the pin missing. You have to remember you can't get soldering 100% perfect all the time. There's going to be the odd defect now & then.

No delshay... I am not taking the time to hunt down where we have seen this before. Soldering isn't 100% perfect, indeed, but when AMD looks at the mess of those pins, do you really think they are going to say it was bad soldering and RMA?

Again, unless a user lies to AMD and sends them that processor, I would bet good money says they won't accept the RMA when they see the CPU. I think their CPU RMA even says they do not accept physical damage......... which is what this is.

Last edited:
In my friend's case, he had the lever shut, he was trying to pull his ASETEK H50 off and it tore the CPU out with it with the lever still shut, and took the pins with it. I wasn't there for it, but that is my understanding. He had the H50 sitting there with the CPU still glued to the back of it.

With the lever shut their is a possibility this can happen, but I can't replicated here. This is why I am asking users with dead equipment that they don't care about to try it now.

Respectfully, I don't care if you can replicate it or not. :)

No user is going to be able to repeat what the OP did exactly. Its useless... move on.

From AMD...The following are common examples of the type of damage or mistreatment that will invalidate any AMD warranty:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib
amddmg.jpg

Last edited:
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
No delshay... I am not taking the time to hunt down where we have seen this before. Soldering isn't 100% perfect, indeed, but when AMD looks at the mess of those pins, do you really think they are going to say it was bad soldering and RMA?

Again, unless a user lies to AMD and sends them that processor, I would bet good money says they won't RMA. I think their CPU RMA even says they do not accept physical damage......... which is what this is.
Yeah, they will say "go take a hike'. They aren't running a charity.

Respectfully, I don't care if you can replicate it or not. :)

No user is going to be able to repeat what the OP did exactly. Its useless... move on.

From AMD...The following are common examples of the type of damage or mistreatment that will invalidate any AMD warranty:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib
View attachment 121301
Ok, that's a good photo, but there are traces of the base of the pin still left. The OP photo, I zoom in as much as I can to see if their is any traces of the base of the pin & it's very hard to tell, but I see nothing of the base of the pin.

OP needs to upload a better photo of the missing pin, as with my eyes I can't see any traces of it. As I said, if there is any trace of the base of the pin still left, then it's 100% OP fault for incorrect removal of the processor. If the base of the pin is completely gone, then it's partly AMD fault (poor soldering).

Status
Not open for further replies.