• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen 3600x temperature

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
I've done some tweaking on my 3600 and the watercooling loop.

I've found an issue with my motherboard that I've opened with MSI (not that that affects you). Basically it looks like my Pump_fan header isn't supplying the correct voltage or amperage. Either way not your concern.

What I have found is it's possible to cool these chips pretty well with water and a high flow style loop.

On the Pump_fan header I was getting the higher temps I posted. 35-40 idle and up to 85 on load. However that isn't the whole story as the header isn't working correctly.

On a direct 12v connection to the pump (the whole loop bar this connection is the same) I've managed to drop the temps to under 30 idle and 60 loaded.

So there might be a few issues with older pumps and AIO's not been ran at 100%.

Attachments

• Sata12vR20.jpg
    Sata12vR20.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 111
While this is true about density, meaning that the die(from) has less area to dissipate the heat (to) the IHS and heatsink, there is always room for improvement. Not all ZEN2 run as this hot.
They just do better with highest possible heat transfer rate to the heatsink (TIM material/application and mount issues). Higher cooling solution alone will not do the job the best way.

Denser chip at 7nm is offset by less electricity needed by chip.

Related: Back in the day, semiconductors were made with aluminum wiring. Copper would be ideal, but it would not stick to the silicon properly. IBM researchers discovered a way to dope silicon in a way that got copper to stick, and made a quantum improvement in performance of semis possible. The head of the research team was Lisa Su, yes that Lisa Su, CEO of AMD. Su was VP in charge of research at IBM. She's always been a shining star in the industry, going back to her PhD work at MIT where she studied semiconductor manufacturing techniques for her dissertation (researching Silicon-on-Insulator, or SOI).

steves

Thanks. The max temp decreased to 75 with several peaks of 78. Still higher for my understandings, but better than before.

Hi pals, i wanted to share my experience which will help new Ryzen users to get low temps with just default stock fan.
(I switched from intel after years and at first i found Ryzen hot hitting 85 C very fast considerin top limit is 95C)

- My mobo is MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, luckily it has many setting options.

- After lots of reading from forums and AMD subreddit this is my optimal results, just sharing I am not saying this is the correct way but it works for my needs. I just play Battlefield and DOTA like games and work on 3D design and doing lots of renders.

- First off all, the logic of Ryzen, when u start any program it max out the power and cpu clock. And stays there for a while. So your temp goes high quickly. In my logic it should trigger the boost when its needed if the base clock fully loaded and let boost core clock go high so it can speed up and results less load.

- Most of the times even my comp is idle or just browsing cpu was always around 3600 and above which also makes your stock fan working at least at %80-90 speed.

- So my first question was what if i disable this boost thing and compare temperatures and performance. Does it really worth? also the stress and my concern about my cpu will get fried while i was just playing a game for hours or when i leave my computer alone for long hours of renders.

- Answer in a nutshell: It doesn't worth for me. I turned off auto boosting i got acceptable consistent temps under heavy load and performance difference is around %5. In a game this is 7-8 fps, in my case for a 10 min render it is 10-20 seconds total difference depending on scene.

// Now when i am just browsing watching youtube chatting on discord it is 2200mhz - 1866mhz and fan speed around 1200rpm temperature 40-45C and on max load i runned prime95 small FFTs + Battfield at the same time and this resulting the max temp to 78 C and staying there. (game was playing on low frames while prime95 test running i just run it to give the cpu most load)
Also i did 30 min non-stop renders %100 load for cpu and temp is still 72C at max and stays there with stock fan and my case has a regular case fan no additional cooling or accessories. Room temp around 23-24C.

- So how i did this? I am sharing all my BIOS settings below

- Before Bios i want to mention in windows my power setting is windows default Balanced ( not ryzen balanced) windows is better.

- Core Performance Boost [Disabled] - When disabled cpu top speed stays on base speed, in my case 3600mhz. Disabling this also disables PBO but still i set the PBO to eco mode since mobo has this option active after disabling it. On some mobo its just one setting.
- PBO / Precision Boost Overdrive [ Eco mode - 45W] (A new algorithm works on CPU cores to reach higher frequencies more often which means more power draw and heat even launching office word or browser)
- Global C-State [Auto] - This is new AMD Cool'n'Quite like feature for Ryzen cpus
- AMD Cool'n'Quite [Enabled] - Some sources say this setting is for Athlon series not necessery for Ryzen some says vice versa, I set it as Enabled because it let me adjust PPC adjustment which is default frequency and voltage setting. Pstate0 is default state, Pstate1 and Pstate2 are adjusted with more lower default frequency.
- PPC Adjustment [Pstate1]
- CCPC [Disabled] This is the way AMD choose which cores will be used, disabling this result better and even load distribution between cores. Windows handles it better.

I hope it helps. Let me know if you have questions or better suggestions.

further reading:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8djs6r

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 193792

I have Be Quiet Dark Rock TF (I think it's better than the stock cooler, but maybe I'm wrong) and my Ryzen 3600 (all-core manual OC, 4250/4225 MHz, CCX0/1, 1.325V) exceeds 80C while maxing out all cores (at non-AVX workloads, AVX is even higher). As a thermal paste I used the included one from Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. During winter it used to peak at 70C.

Is that normal? My ambient temp is 27C. According to AMD, it's safe up to 95C.

Now, I know some people are against manual OC because supposedly it offers "marginal" benefits compared to PBO (doesn't seem to be the case), but with default settings I get 4 GHz max in all-core workloads and 1.375V (1.325V for AVX workloads, so this is my FIT voltage), so from an electromigration standpoint manual OC seems more beneficial to me (higher clocks, less Vcore). I haven't had any issues (no degrade) since Dec 2019.

What's funny is that with the latest Windows 10 version (2004) my Ryzen 3600 drops voltages all the way down to 0.41V (according to Ryzen Master) while being idle (around 35C), even though AMD had said that setting a fixed voltage/manual OC would prevent power saving features (maybe newer AGESA versions fixed this, dunno).

Also, I'm kinda jealous of new Ryzen 3600 owners getting easily 4.5-4.6 GHz manual all-core OC with only 1.25V (I thought TSMC 7nm yields would have matured by Dec 2019, but I was wrong), but it's not worth it for to do a sidegrade like that. I'll wait for Zen 3 to release and get 3950X for cheap, or maybe 4950X if the 8-core CCX offers a huge performance uplift. :)

System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X w/ Bykski waterblock
Storage 2TB WD Black SN850X ••• 2TB Corsair M510 ••• 40TB QNAP NAS via SFP+ NIC
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (3440x1440, 10-bit @ 139Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro (FPS games) + Logitech MX Master 2S (everything else)
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/c3rxw7
I have Be Quiet Dark Rock TF (I think it's better than the stock cooler, but maybe I'm wrong) and my Ryzen 3600 (all-core manual OC, 4250/4225 MHz, CCX0/1, 1.325V) exceeds 80C while maxing out all cores (at non-AVX workloads, AVX is even higher). As a thermal paste I used the included one from Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. During winter it used to peak at 70C.

Is that normal? My ambient temp is 27C. According to AMD, it's safe up to 95C.

Now, I know some people are against manual OC because supposedly it offers "marginal" benefits compared to PBO (doesn't seem to be the case), but with default settings I get 4 GHz max in all-core workloads and 1.375V (1.325V for AVX workloads, so this is my FIT voltage), so from an electromigration standpoint manual OC seems more beneficial to me (higher clocks, less Vcore). I haven't had any issues (no degrade) since Dec 2019.

What's funny is that with the latest Windows 10 version (2004) my Ryzen 3600 drops voltages all the way down to 0.41V (according to Ryzen Master) while being idle (around 35C), even though AMD had said that setting a fixed voltage/manual OC would prevent power saving features (maybe newer AGESA versions fixed this, dunno).

Also, I'm kinda jealous of new Ryzen 3600 owners getting easily 4.5-4.6 GHz manual all-core OC with only 1.25V (I thought TSMC 7nm yields would have matured by Dec 2019, but I was wrong), but it's not worth it for to do a sidegrade like that. I'll wait for Zen 3 to release and get 3950X for cheap, or maybe 4950X if the 8-core CCX offers a huge performance uplift. :)

perfectly normal. 3600 CPUs are made from the lowest binned chiplets that consume more power to achieve the same performance as a bitter quality chip.

also, no one "easily" gets 4.5 on all cores on a 3600. it requires a good motherboard, good memory and good cooling. assuming you have all that, at that speed it still won't be stable at any voltage for every day use. i was able to get a 3800x to 4.6GHz with a custom loop, i was able to pass some benches and played overwatch for a little bit. but the thing crashed when doing anything else. it crashed while running excel, chrome, premiere, etc. it was simply not usable. and don't forget you're on the internet. there a bunch of people who lie about their overclocks and overclock stability. it's all part of the fanboy derangement syndrome.

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
no one "easily" gets 4.5 on all cores on a 3600

If I were a bit braver I might attempt that. I just hit 4.4 at 1.25v without having to do much.

Edit: I got brave.

4.5Ghz @ 1.35v 4013 R20 - Just sorting the screenshots. Running and completed shots up.

Skill required - None.

Attachments

• 4.4manual1.25.jpg
    4.4manual1.25.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 89
  • run.jpg
    run.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 4.5r201.35.jpg
    4.5r201.35.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
System Name Auriga
Processor Ryzen 7950X3D w/ aquacomputer cuplex kryos NEXT with VISION - acrylic/nickel
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Res/D5 Combo •• Corsair XR7 480mm + Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS radiators •• 7xNF-A12 chromax
Memory 2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB @ 6200MHz, 30-40-40-28, 1.35V (F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X w/ Bykski waterblock
Storage 2TB WD Black SN850X ••• 2TB Corsair M510 ••• 40TB QNAP NAS via SFP+ NIC
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (3440x1440, 10-bit @ 139Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core P8
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Razer Viper V2 Pro (FPS games) + Logitech MX Master 2S (everything else)
Keyboard Keycult No2 rev 1 w/Amber Alps and TX stabilizers on a steel plate. DCS 9009 WYSE keycaps
Software W10 X64 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/c3rxw7
If I were a bit braver I might attempt that. I just hit 4.4 at 1.25v without having to do much.

Edit: I got brave.

4.5Ghz @ 1.35v 4013 R20 - Just sorting the screenshots. Running and completed shots up.

Skill required - None.

well, that's cool. what about stability? benchmark number are useless if shit is crashing on you. high frequency doesn't mean faster performance. when i push my threadripper 3970x, too far, the actual performance goes DOWN. by performance, i don't mean a 5 second benchmark. i mean things like rendering or recording videos. batch processing, compression, etc.

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
well, that's cool. what about stability? benchmark number are useless if shit is crashing on you. high frequency doesn't mean faster performance. when i push my threadripper 3970x, too far, the actual performance goes DOWN. by performance, i don't mean a 5 second benchmark. i mean things like rendering or recording videos. batch processing, compression, etc.

I wouldn't even attempt to run it at 4.5ghz without some major tweaks, I'd have to turn off a load of features to get it stable long term.

The voltage at 1.35v is a bit on the high side for me as well.

The 4.4Ghz area I'd probably look into a bit more If I was inclined to run overclocked. There's going to be that run away point where the heat overrides the gains and it'll be in that 4.4 Ghz region. I've got cooling that is overkill for the chip so I can soak a little more heat but realistically I don't think I'd want to be pushing more than 65c on long term load. R20 makes a lot of heat but for regular use I would imagine it'll be a lot lower, Especially for what I do with my computer.

I'm actually very happy with it running stock, I'm having some very minor issues with my watercooler not been 100% perfect but that'll be sorted soon enough. Running stock even with that niggles it's sitting at 38-45c for my every day loads and gaming. Even pushed to 4.4Ghz I doubt that would be pushing past 50c.

Pijomir

I undervolt with 0.1. Didn't lose performance even got better results probably because the temperature decreased with 8-9 degrees Celsius.