• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen Overclocking PFN_LIST_CORUPPT

System Name Mikoto
Processor AMD Ryzen 1600 @4Ghz
Motherboard MSI X370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Stock
Memory Corsair LPX 2133 DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX970
Storage 2x 240Gb SSD Raid 0
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Case NZXT S340 Elite White
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy Rx
Power Supply Corsair C750M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Hey guys and gals.

I had a "forced" upgrade to Ryzen 1600 the other day after managing to kill my 4/5 year old 3570K motherboard :(

I got the new parts, got it all up and running and then it was time to overclock!

But I'm being shutdown at the first hurdle...

As soon as I overclock even just a little bit, like .25 extra on the multiplier windows will not boot.... Most of the time. Sometimes I can get into windows but on next reboot.. Nada. I am getting the BSOD listed in the title.

I have had a good look about on google and every post I find is saying its the ram and or hard drive (or SSD in my case) But why would I only get this error when I try to overclock? I am not overclocking the memory or even main bus on the mobo so the memory and pcie/sata bus speeds "should" be unaffected.

I have also noticed that when overclocking in the BIOS it automatically disables AMD Cool'n'Quiet on its own. I have tried with this on and off and also virtualization seems to have some sort of effect as well... or not I cant tell as I can not get the BSOD consistently with specific settings. Even when I do get into Windows I will get a BSOD at some point.

What gives?! I have a dream of 4Ghz! Please help me reach it :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Reset the board to bios defaults. Update the bios first, provide complete system specs

System Name Mikoto
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Hi, My full system specs are in my profile. The BIOS is the newest from the MSI site.

But I think I may have found the culprit!

When I was first setting this up the CTRL+I key to get into the RAID bios was not working and a quick google search showed someone who said to enable this Windows 10 OS WHQL Config thingy in the UEFI and I can then set up the raid from in the UEFI and so thats what I did and was up and running.

I have just been messing about the past hour and I just happened to forget to turn this back on after a bios reset and windows still booted.. So I was like, huh. I dont NEED that option for my RAID to work so left it off and thought I would try and OC again.. Bingo Bango Im at 3.825Ghz and windows is booting fine. With that stupid option turned on I was unable to get back into windows at all with that same PFN BSOD every time. Ugh.

Another issue.. I say issue, Mild annoyance. This mobo is SO SLOW TO POST its not even funny. The latest bios does say it has improved post times but its still really slow. Is this just a quirk of Ryzen motherboards or did I just pick the worst motherboard possible?!

I have been dealing with PC's since the late 90's so know my way around as they say but with every new platform there is new things to learn! And after being on Ivy Bridge for what seems an eternity (Thanks for the innovation Intel.. NOT) I have gotten a bit "rusty" :(

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Hi, My full system specs are in my profile. The BIOS is the newest from the MSI site.

But I think I may have found the culprit!

When I was first setting this up the CTRL+I key to get into the RAID bios was not working and a quick google search showed someone who said to enable this Windows 10 OS WHQL Config thingy in the UEFI and I can then set up the raid from in the UEFI and so thats what I did and was up and running.

I have just been messing about the past hour and I just happened to forget to turn this back on after a bios reset and windows still booted.. So I was like, huh. I dont NEED that option for my RAID to work so left it off and thought I would try and OC again.. Bingo Bango Im at 3.825Ghz and windows is booting fine. With that stupid option turned on I was unable to get back into windows at all with that same PFN BSOD every time. Ugh.

Another issue.. I say issue, Mild annoyance. This mobo is SO SLOW TO POST its not even funny. The latest bios does say it has improved post times but its still really slow. Is this just a quirk of Ryzen motherboards or did I just pick the worst motherboard possible?!

I have been dealing with PC's since the late 90's so know my way around as they say but with every new platform there is new things to learn! And after being on Ivy Bridge for what seems an eternity (Thanks for the innovation Intel.. NOT) I have gotten a bit "rusty" :(

Ok something was lost in translation, having this option "Windows 10 OS WHQL Config thingy in the UEFI" enabled causes the PFN issue?

System Name Mikoto
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
This is what the manual has to say about this setting:

Windows OS Configuration
Sets Windows detailed configuration and behaviors. Press Enter to enter the submenu.

[Enabled] Windows 10 WHQL Support Enables the supports for Windows 10 or disables for other operating systems. Before enabling this item, make sure all installed devices & utilities (hardware & software) should meet the Windows 10 requirements.
The system will switch to UEFI mode to meet the Windows requirement.

[Disabled] Disables this function. Internal GOP Configuration Manages the onboard Graphics Output Protocol (GOP). Press Enter to enter the sub-menu.
This sub-menu will appear when Windows 10 WHQL Support is enabled.

Secure Boot Sets the Windows secure boot to prevent the unauthorized accessing. Press Enter to enter the sub-menu.
This sub-menu will appear when Windows 10 WHQL Support is enabled.

System Name Mikoto
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
plot thickens..

I was getting this same error again.. and this time it was almost impossible to get rid off. I ram memtest for 5 passes with no errors so thought sod it, Ill reinstall windows. And NOW its fixed.

I have managed to overclock my ram and cpu this time with no issues at all thus far. Only when I tried to oc my ram from 2133 to 2800. 2666 seems to be working ok tho.

Ugh what a weekend!

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
ok let me get this straight, you had an intel, upgraded to ryzen, but left windows with the intel hardware profile installed on the hard drive?

Glad everything worked out for you in the end! Welcome to TPU

System Name Mikoto
Cooling Stock
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
No...

I had to reinstall windows as my RAID was not seen by the AMD RAID controller. It was a fresh install of windows

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Yeah thats the drawback of onboard raid controllers, nothing universal about them.

So it was a corrupt windows installation.