• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sabertooth 990FX (new) Not detecting video card...

darrkshine

Ok, so here's my issue. I just did an overhaul on my PC, replaced the mobo bc the last one died on me. Also replaced the processor. Here's my specs:

Mobo (New): Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Processor (New): AMD FX8120 Black Edition
GPU (Old): XFX Radeon HD 6970
RAM (Old): Corsair Vengeance 8Gb

I Don't particularly think everything else I have inside is relevant but if so just let me know and I'll update ASAP.

Anyway, here's the deal. I have my monitor plugged into my 6970 (DVI port 1), and I'm getting the display up on my monitor. The fan on the card spools up just fine, so I don't think there is any issue wit the card itself. Now, I didn't replace or do anything to my hard drive when I put these new parts on so the drivers should still be present, no?

In Windows (Win 7 Ultimate) the program that comes with the XFX card isn't detecting the card, nor will Windows even though when I go to the Properties menu of "My Computer" it says new hardware detected, but when I run the "refresh to detect" It gives me some error, but I don't think that is the main issue.

So my question is, how do I get Windows to recognize my video card?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys/girls. I'll be checking on the thread every 30 minutes for replies.

Edit: And I did do a search and have seen several people have had similar issues with different mobos/cards but couldn't find the solution to my particular situation, I apologize if this has already been covered.

Last edited:
System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD FX-8370
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E
Memory 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 2000
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7870+Powercolor HD7850 CrossFire
Storage Corsair ForceGT 90 SSD,WD Black 500
Display(s) Acer 24'' 2ms
Case Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Grand 1050w 80+Gold
Software Win 7 SP1 Ult x64
System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Normally, its by far the safest to just reïnstall any driver you are using when you get a new motherboard.
I suggest you reïnstall atleast all AMD software, and also check other drivers, like your sounddriver and network drivers.

darrkshine

n/a

I did do a reinstall of the software that came with the card, using the provided disk. I am having network troubles as well but wanted to solve my graphics before worrying about that. I use a PCI wireless card and that's not working properly, and i also reinstalled that software as well. I'm gonna reinstall the catalyst software right now though, got it d/led putting it on a flash drive to install on the machine.

Thanks so far, I'll update soon.

darrkshine

Additional info

Ok, let me add this to my list of problems. I have no internet connection. Ethernet cable is plugged into the port on the mobo and i have a yellow light, but no green flashing. I know the cable is good i tested it before i plugged it in. Windows says "No connections available. Any reason for this?

Also, I'm currently uninstalling the catalyst software, will post again once reinstalled to update.

Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Well, i'm not nearly the most knowledgable guy around, but if you say you installed every driver that came on your motherboard driver cd/dvd, and it isnt working yet, then you might do 2 things:

Do a drivercleaner sweep: There are programs that can sweep all the drivers from your PC, so you can start all over. If this works correctly, you can just go trough the process of installing your drivers again, and it should work.

However, me being lazy/not lazy at all(depending on how you look at it): whenever I install a part like a motherboard, I prefer to just Format my drive, and reïnstall windows from scratch. This should work at all times.

This all is assuming your motherboard isnt broken ofc.
I've got the same motherboard as you have, and an easy way to check wether it isnt the PCI-E slot thats at fault, is plugging the graphics card in the other PCI-E 2.0 16X slot your motherboard has. It should be the one with the same color, and should have a differently colored slot in-between.

darrkshine

Daimus, thank you kindly the graphics card appears to be working beautifully now, although I do feel like a bit of an idiot for the obviousness of the solution. I did do a reinstall from the disk but I guess what I didn't do was remove all the components or something. I did a complete AMD graphics utility removal then ran the file from the link you posted, blam it works.

Onto the connectivity issues though, I'm sure I have no idea why running an ethernet cable to the machine isn't giving it access to the internet, never mind my wireless card.

I'm working on getting rid of my driver for the wireless card so I can reinstall it just have to do a bit of navigating to find it, and hopefully the wireless will work but still, what's up with my ethernet cable not working?

Edit: Thanks to Mathragh, I would just do a clean formatting of my hdd but it's nearly 2Tb of data that I would have to replace, that's a lot of time spent making backup disks and reinstalling programs/games/pictures/movies. I figure I'll spend less time messing around with drivers than backing all that data without another 2Tb hdd to flash it to. And yeah, no my mobo is good. Like I said I was getting power and picture from my card in the PCI slot so I knew it wasn't a bad board, it's apparently just the drivers.

darrkshine

Success!

Well, got rid of my drivers, now my wired internet is working, and that's good enough for me for the time being. I'll work on the wireless nonsense later, I prefer a wired connection anyhow.

To everyone on the thread, thanks for the help I really do appreciate your taking the time to help me. I may be back when I'm bound and determined to get my wireless internet working on this device haha.

But that's all for now,

Thanks again

Last edited:
System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD FX-8370
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E
Memory 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 2000
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7870+Powercolor HD7850 CrossFire
Storage Corsair ForceGT 90 SSD,WD Black 500
Display(s) Acer 24'' 2ms
Case Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake Grand 1050w 80+Gold
Software Win 7 SP1 Ult x64
Sometimes it happens, that's okay. Happy to help.
In relation to connectivity issues. You can download latest Realtek RTL8111E LAN Driver from ASUS reference site http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...90FX/#download and replace the driver that you have installed from disk. Maybe this will help.

Mouse ROG Pugio II
No problem:) Thats what people like Daimus and me are here for!

darrkshine

Final Update

Final Update: Got both the wired and wireless internet connections working again, everything is in order and working great. Thanks for all the great advice. Last thing I have to do is reinstall my R.A.T.7 drivers and that's the last piece of hardware :)

Quite a productive morning,

Thanks again.