• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sabertooth X99 BIOS v3301 released!

I've found some reports that this BIOS dramatically improves memory bandwidth compared to 3101 BIOS. We are talking almost 10GB/s differences for copy and read RAM commands and up to 40GB/s difference for L3 cache if methodology by that person was correct (can't see how it could be wrong though)!

See this:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1510328/...north-american-users-only/12980#post_25388431

That's pretty significant!

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i am still on 2101
maybe time to upgrade-but this time i wanted to be sure because had bad memories from x79 when the 3930k to 4390k updates came in

System Name Main setup
Processor i9 12900K
Motherboard Gigabyte z690 Gaming X
Cooling Water
Memory Kingston 32GB 5200@cl30
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTS 4090
Storage Adata SX8200 PRO 1 adn 2 TB, Samsung 960EVO, Crucial MX300 750GB Limited edition
Display(s) HP "cheapass" 34" 3440x1440
Case CM H500P Mesh
Audio Device(s) Logitech G933
Power Supply Corsair RX850i
Mouse G502
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software W11
Uuuu it is also out to X99 deluxe :)

Usually they release versions across all models from within similar release timeframe and chipset used. Meaning if ASUS releases update for Sabertooth X99, it's very likely they have or soon will release updates for all latest X99 chipset powered boards.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
FTR, I never update the BIOS just because a new one is out there unless it addresses a specific problem I am having. The exception is with a new build and new model (Rev 1.0) motherboard. I will update it then, then generally leave it after that. By far, most BIOS updates simply add support for new CPUs (and sometimes RAM) that came out after the board left the factory.

While flashing the BIOS is much safer today than in the past, a failed BIOS update can still brick a motherboard. Bad timing with a sudden power outage, for example, can corrupt a BIOS update. And sadly, in some extreme cases, you cannot always roll back. Not good if the warranty as expired - and still very inconvenient when the warranty is still good.

An installed BIOS that has been working fine rarely ever suddenly becomes corrupt.

This latest update says it "improves system stability". But I note those posters at overclockers are reporting "memory performance gains" at the same CPU clock speed. One does not automatically lead to the other.
if methodology by that person was correct (can't see how it could be wrong though)!
Was a common methodology even stated?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If not having problems, and not upgrading to a new CPU not supported in the current BIOS version, I would just leave it be.

As always, changelog is very vague…
:( Yeah, and I think that is pretty sad, if not inconsiderate or even irresponsible - especially from a major player like ASUS who has the resources to set the example and bar at the top. If those change logs gave specifics, I would certainly be more inclined to update.

I always update all my shit even if I don't have problems. Remember, "if it ain't broken, you haven't tweaked it enough". :) Besides, with such vague changelog, it's hard to say if it even fixes any problem you might be having or not. So, I just update it anyway.

The methodology being if he changed anything else in between or is this really all because of BIOS update.

Btw, maybe these performance figures improved because they had memory stuff in some sort of compatibility state and they fixed that and is now finally running full throttle. So it's not really a boost, it's just where it has to be.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The methodology being if he changed anything else in between or is this really all because of BIOS update.
Right. And I don't see where he defined that. For example, when did he take those screen shots. Were both (in particular, the "before" shot) right after a fresh reboot, for example?
Btw, maybe these performance figures improved because they had memory stuff in some sort of compatibility state and they fixed that and is now finally running full throttle. So it's not really a boost, it's just where it has to be.
And that's part of my point. There could be other reasons for the "apparent" performance gains.

As far as you always updating your problems, I suspect (1) you know how to recover if problems occur and (2), it would not bother you too much if problems occur, and (3) you can afford (or put up with) the downtime if problems occur. That cannot be said for most users, and probably not for most forum visitors either.

So, "if it ain't broken, you haven't tweaked it enough" may work for you and many of the "regulars" here. But "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" is still the safer philosophy, IMO, for most users.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Safer is for pussies.
Yeah right! Safer is for folks with important data on their computers they need regular access to. Full force is for those who see their computers only as toys.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Dude you are slow. I updated two days ago. haha

Reply #588
:https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ache-and-memory-benchmark-here.186338/page-24

3301:

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Then why didn't you post about it? You selfish bastard! :p

Too busy enjoying the performance gain.

Sadly the adaptive mode is still broken on 125BCLK.

Some say the adaptive cache is now working for 100BCLK due to ASUS updated Haswell-E Microcode(i.e. CPU Firmware). If you are running 100BCLK you can give it a try.

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
I always update all my shit even if I don't have problems. Remember, "if it ain't broken, you haven't tweaked it enough". :) Besides, with such vague changelog, it's hard to say if it even fixes any problem you might be having or not. So, I just update it anyway.
Same here, I always take advantage of available resources, not because I had any problems. I just want the best performance from my hardware. People who are afraid to flash their BIOS often miss important updates. If you don't have a UPS, just check the weather report, and don't flash during rain, wind, or snow storms (most likely times for power outage). I have updated my BIOS/firmware hundreds of times without incident, on motherboards, video cards, SSDs, hard drives, etc. No bricks so far...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
People who are afraid to flash their BIOS often miss important updates.
Being cautious is not being afraid.

I too have updated BIOS firmware many 100s of times over the years, starting way back when the only way to upgrade the BIOS was to order a new chip from the motherboard maker and physically replace the chip. Then technologies advanced but you still had to erase the EPROM chips first with high intensity UV lights and then reprogram the chips in an EPROM burner. It was great when they finally started using EEPROMs and backup BIOS solutions. But being successful 100s of times does not totally eliminate the risk of something going wrong - and catastrophically wrong at that.

I won't hesitate to update a BIOS - if necessary. But if not necessary, we don't. And we always use a good UPS with AVR right next to the computer. I say right next to because one of our more embarrassing bricks was due to one of our techs tripping over the computer's power cable that was plugged into an UPS. :oops: :( That defeated the purpose of having an UPS.

Alexandre Klayn

hello everyone, I'm new here in the forum and searching the internet I found this forum to debate bios update saberthooth x99, recently bought a mother board this that came with the bios version 3101 and then see updated for 3301 however today as updated to version 3402 my plate only cared and gave two strange beeps "until the timbre of different sound than the post" and just the board not work until then did a bIOS flashback that principle woke the mother board put the video card not answer literally had to disassemble the entire machine and go testing a component to one for after three hours he again function normally but with the bios version 3301, anyone already encountered this problem there, I have done numerous bios updates in my life and never come across as a mess of this.

Nope, I've gone through all BIOS versions on every release without problems. You have to be careful because some BIOS updates also update the UEFI thing and the system will do something after it has already updated the BIOS. You have to let the system do that and not interrupt it. But it could just as well be something else...

Processor Undead CPU
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Software Windows 10 P
Nope, I've gone through all BIOS versions on every release without problems. You have to be careful because some BIOS updates also update the MEI(management engine interface)thing and the system will restart several times after it has already updated the BIOS. You have to let the system do that and not interrupt it. But it could just as well be something else...

And that is about it. Also make sure to clear your CMOS settings by using the jumper before attempting new OC.

Alexandre Klayn

ok, I have a certain experience in Bios update, made all the correct procedures by ez update, the own program asked me to restart the computer, however as soon as I did so the computer not returned promptly made a clear cmos the jumper and also not yield any results, I panicked because I just bought this mother board has two months and here in Brazil the price of it and extremely expensive, so I could do it again making the bios flashback and another thing that caught my attention and delay Begins to load windows because my mother previous board saberthooth z77 was not as time consuming as well.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
am i correct that ya need .CAP for flashback and .rom for dos\biosflash.
i did post in your other thread