• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Safest oc for my intel

System Name lazy ass
Processor Intel i5 7600k 4.2 GHz
Motherboard MSI Enthusiastic Gaming Z270 (Z270 GAMING M3)
Cooling H80i GT V1 liquid cooling
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 8G 11Gbps
Storage seagate 2tb HDD/boot drive SSD Samsung 960 evo M.2
Display(s) ASUS 28inch 4k
Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Audio Device(s) mobo
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 750 watts
Mouse Razer Mamba wireless/ needs a new one razer sucks
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
Benchmark Scores to be updated soon
I got my i5 7600k oc at 4.5 at 30c running good now but when I play 4K games what’s the safest oc or the highest I can go without having problems. See my system specs and how long can I play games without it overheating at high temps? Should I try for 5.0 or maybe that’s a little to high?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

Keep the voltage at 1.35V or below and temps at 90c or less stress testing and it will live a long life. The name of the game is whatever clockspeed at the lowest voltage. Each cpu is different so you will have to figure it out where your chip and temps crap out.

Lol, your heatsink wont just thermally run away man... use your head a little. Test it. Get a temp monitoring program like real temp or coretemp and run it while gaming and see.....

System Name lazy ass
Audio Device(s) mobo
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
I'm going to go for 4.8 for now and I keep watching it while playing shadow of war at ultra 4k. lol put my cooler on performance mode.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
If you are uncertain about OC, go download Intel XTU. The automated OC can give you sort of a guide line on your system OC potential. Then dial back ~100MHz for daily use. Make sure to set everything in BIOS and try to use as little auto settings as possible.

System Name lazy ass
Audio Device(s) mobo
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
I already have that I also use MSI command center to I’ve got it set up now I don’t have to go to bios to oc it. What is better to use msi command center or the intel extreme tuning?

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
I don’t have to go to bios to oc

It would be better if you did.

Even if it was only for the sake of learning the specifics and the ins and outs of overclocking, but that's not the only reason. It's just better to do it directly in the bios.

(imo) Using a program to overclock your computer is kind of like using a program to manage your downloads or install drivers. It's mostly a gimmick and it's lazy & for people who have no will to learn the proper way of doing it. Of course apps like this have their place, & that place is the "shallow end", or training wheel side of overclocking. If youd like to learn and have full control of your oc, no app will replace a bios level oc

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Use MSI version. Figure out a base line. Write down the settings and apply it in BIOS.

I already have that I also use MSI command center to I’ve got it set up now I don’t have to go to bios to oc it. What is better to use msi command center or the intel extreme tuning?
The bios.

These programs tend to apply more voltage than needed. It can give you an idea, but its best to manually tweak it down in the bios.

While many opinions are fixed from less than stellar experiences from days gone by, today's OC utilities do a very commendable job of OCing your PC. Will it deliver the maximum OC possible for your MoBo / CPU / Memory combo ? No, but these days it will get very close. To get that max OC, your are looking at couple of weeks of changing BIOS settings and the testing to insure stability. I generally take a minimalist's approach ... I'll get what I can by BIOS Editing in a weekend and I'm done.

Here's some test results for Kaby Lake ... reults tanged from a low of 4.7 to a high of 5.4
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NoxceLMU9dnVev8QmYmBT16fnjwrGkwdIRjTQzzKaVk/edit#gid=0

Average OC 5.03 / Average Vcore 1.36
Median OC 5.00/ Median Vcore 1.3

One approach is to use the utilities and see what's the best they come up with. Record the settings when done. With that as a baseline ... try reducing voltages until you can keep that OC stable. Then try inching up a increasing voltages as necessary. Your CLC will be somewhat a limiting factor here. You'd have better temps w/ a moderately priced air cooler like the Scythe Fuma ($45) or Scyther Mugen Max ($37)

As for voltages, it's more than just the VCore setting, it's what boost the MoBo BIOS does with those settings when for example AVX and other modern instruction sets are present. For this reason, I recommend against using any type of synthetic test for OC purposes. What I mean is that synthetics put loads on your system that they pretty much never see again. so what's the point ? Did ya build your PC to get ya name on web site leader boards or to run programs / games ? A soccer mom who's toughest vehicle demand is getting the kids to practice on warm Florida days, doesn't need to test that vehicle going off road and hill climbing. I have had 24 hour P95 stable OCs fail within 45 minutes under RoG Real Bench., The programs on RB will put a tougher demand on your system than it will ever see again in 99.99% of instances. And while the multitasking nature of RB puts a tougher challenge than most synthetics, the temps will be lower. So you don't wind up limiting your OC for temp reasons preparing it for temps it will never see again. I prefer to stay between 1.35 and 1.40, but I don't shy away if I see 1.42 or so during stress testing. With AVX present, the boost associated therewith may even take it to 1.5 for a microsecond and again that's not something I concern myself with.

There's a great Kaby Lake Overclocking Guide on overclock.net created by user's who list their experiences. More than likely you could find someone with similar hardware as your own to target a starting point, you

. To get that max OC, your are looking at couple of weeks of changing BIOS settings and the testing to insure stability.
If it takes more than a day or two with stress testing for 4+ hours, you aren't doing it right. ;)

That said, software has gotten better, surely. I do like the method of seeing what auto does, and starting and working down. This has been a staple for an easy starting point for generations. :)

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I got my i5 7600k oc at 4.5 at 30c running good now but when I play 4K games what’s the safest oc or the highest I can go without having problems. See my system specs and how long can I play games without it overheating at high temps? Should I try for 5.0 or maybe that’s a little to high?

Safest OC is to keep the CPU at maximum 75c during heavy load using stress test like Prime95.

Games don't apply enough stress to verify stability.

You should apply it from the BIOS and not by software.

Safest OC is to keep the CPU at maximum 75c during heavy load using stress test like Prime95.
Why so low? That is almost what would happen at stock speeds, LOL!! These things will thermally throttle at 100C... this is why most suggest stress testing up to 90C when using P95. This way any gaming or must other functions are ~20C less compared with P95 (with AVX). 75C is ULTRA conservative.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Why so low? That is almost what would happen at stock speeds, LOL!! These things will thermally throttle at 100C... this is why most suggest stress testing up to 90C when using P95. This way any gaming or must other functions are ~20C less compared with P95 (with AVX). 75C is ULTRA conservative.

Tjunction is 100c, this is when thermal throttling occurs, internal errors and possible silicon damage.

Now, to preserve long lifespan and to prevent degradation, the optimal maximum temperature is 20c-30c below Tjunction (aka Tcase).

0-65c = full lifespan
66c-75c = medium lifespan
75c and above = reduced lifespan

I'm sure that is in an Intel document somewhere....;)

I have run my Processors like that for YEARS man folding, full load...

Again, 75C us ULTRA conservative and leaves a lot on table. Surely, overclocking and higher temps reduce lifespan, but, when the voltage and temps are kept in order, chances are its going to be obsolete before it craps out.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I'm sure that is in an Intel document somewhere....;)

I have run my Processors like that for YEARS man folding, full load...

Again, 75C us ULTRA conservative and leaves a lot on table. Surely, overclocking and higher temps reduce lifespan, but, when the voltage and temps are kept in order, chances are its going to be obsolete before it craps out.

Full lifespan around 20 years.

Medium lifespan 10 years.

Reduced lifespan 5 years.

First generation i7 came out almost 10 years ago and still kicking ass. I have 1366 Xeons running games better then some of the current hardware.

You are pulling these values out of the same place you sit...
I have 1366 Xeons running games better then some of the current hardware.
lol... i believe they are running... i dont believe they are beating any modern comparable processor.

Are you for real with this stuff?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
You are pulling these values out of the same place you sit...
lol... i believe they are running... i dont believe they are beating any modern comparable processor.

Are you for real with this stuff?

In fact, I ran a quick benchmark on one of those "obsolete" systems.

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, not helping your cause any with those benchmarks...i assure you any modern hex will score better than your x58 hex in FS.

Aida synthetics now? Feel free to overclock any newer hex to 4.1ghz (most go notably higher) and it will WOMP your cpu.

It also gets worked over in games in most titles. Its literally 30-40% slower per clock and gets out overclocked past your 4.16 GHz.

Please stop...please. :)

Nobody said its obsolete... its just not 'running faster' than comparable modern processors even with less clocks than your OC.

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I won't get into argument with you.

Most users don't buy a new PC or CPU every single year.

Most users upgrade every few years; and some users give their old hardware to family, friends or relatives.

The OP asked for a "safe OC", and he got it.

Most people I know use "obsolete" hardware, not everyone upgrade on a monthly basis, and thats why longevity is important.

There was no argument in the first place, really. Trust me.

Why are you mentioning about upgrading and such? I mean you are right, but who cares... that isnt the point here. You made an outrageous claim with zero context which is(was) the sole talking point. I dont care about this straw man garbage about upgrades... o_O

90C stress testing is fine and will last its useful life...

Anyway... this is OT...done too.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I won't get into argument with you.

Most users don't buy a new PC or CPU every single year.

Most users upgrade every few years; and some users give their old hardware to family, friends or relatives.

The OP asked for a "safe OC", and he got it.

Most people I know use "obsolete" hardware, not everyone upgrade on a monthly basis, and thats why longevity is important.

But most users don't use TPU forums. That's usually enthusiasts, who DO tend to upgrade what might be considered often.

Also, Intel has officially stated that high temperatures do not kill their CPUs. CPU throttles before that is possible.

Modern Intel CPUs throttle for both temperatures AND current.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

I know the software option isn't the best but I do think MSI does it better than anyone else.
"Just Try It" memory profiles really helped fine tune my memory and would have been good enough as suggested...
MSI's auto OC usually goes about 100-200mhz below a safe daily OC.

I suggest using the software and when you encounter problems come back and post that issue for a proper learning experience.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
But most users don't use TPU forums. That's usually enthusiasts, who DO tend to upgrade what might be considered often.

Not really. 10 y/o CPUs still capable of running all software without a problem.

Even with games, in high-resolution, you'll barely notice any improvement. GPUs are all that important in gaming.

Bottom line is CPU isn't such a worthy upgrade. I see here a lot of users with ancient CPUs and modern GPUs.

Not really. 10 y/o CPUs still capable of running all software without a problem.
Can isnt the question... how fast, is and was your point earlier. ;)

Even with games, in high-resolution, you'll barely notice any improvement. GPUs are all that important in gaming.
in some titles, you are right, it doesnt make a difference. But make no mistake about it, in many others, it can put a glass ceiling on midrange to high end gpus at 1080p and even 2560x1440.

They are, at times, simply too slow to keep up at resolutions the majority play (1080p).

CPU can certainly be a worthy upgrade in gaming and espcially with other activities.

We get it.. you love your x58, and that is ok. But be honest about it at least. Most people, if they could help it, would benefit from a x58 to z370 upgrade in sooooo many ways. Worth the cost is up to the person buying it. But if it were me, seeing the benchmarks around, if i had a 10 series midrange card or better, or 980ti+, id look into it so as not to cap my precious high end card.

Perhaps thats just me. :)