• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Same boat questions

System Name Dell inspiron 5570
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
Motherboard Dell Inc.
Memory SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-19200
Video Card(s) Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Storage Intel Optane+932GBHDD w/ External Crucial M500 240GB ssd
Display(s) 15.6" w/ Extended display Samsung 27"
Audio Device(s) Realtek Audio
Mouse ONN Wireless
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64)
Benchmark Scores HaHa yeah right :p
Im wanting a new machine. BF3 is coming. :)
I know everyone has asked similar questions but I have a few searching didnt answer.

Im wanting to go AMD BD but all the delays have made it irritating.

So say I go SB I was wondering if anyone has any info on this AsRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 board. I cant find it for sale anywhere. I really like the PCI-E x16/x16 I want/plan to run crossfire and although I know x8 is a minimal hit I would prefer not to start with that as long as its not a huge $ difference. Possibly suggest another board in the $150-$250 or so range that can do PCI-E x16/x16 and seems to have good OCing and really needs to be BF3 ready. :D

I have pretty much decided on a I5 2500 but me not staying updated I saw hints of locked chips but yet I see many OCing them like mad. Then I see on the Egg 2 different priced i5-2500 So do I want the one with a 2500K or without 2500 ? How do you decide if one is locked? Maybe none are locked I don't know? :confused:

Thanks

IlluminAce

System Name Ace2
Processor Intel i7 2600
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
Cooling Zalman CNPS10x Extreme
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4)
Video Card(s) Asus HD 6970 DirectCUII
Storage 4x Samsung 1TB 7.2krpm
Display(s) 1x 24" 16:10, 1x 20" 16:10, 3x 19" 5:4
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) TBD
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Debian dom0 (on Xen hypervisor)
SB K series (such as 2500K) have unlocked multipliers, amongst other things. So if you intend to OC you need to get the K.

Motherboard Dell Inc.
Mouse ONN Wireless
SB K series (such as 2500K) have unlocked multipliers, amongst other things. So if you intend to OC you need to get the K.

Figured the more expensive one was the ticket. :laugh:

Motherboard Dell Inc.
Mouse ONN Wireless
Anyone with any input on this part of my post?

So say I go SB I was wondering if anyone has any info on this AsRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 board. I cant find it for sale anywhere. I really like the PCI-E x16/x16 I want/plan to run crossfire and although I know x8 is a minimal hit I would prefer not to start with that as long as its not a huge $ difference. Possibly suggest another board in the $150-$250 or so range that can do PCI-E x16/x16 and seems to have good OCing and really needs to be BF3 ready. :D

Just looking for a nice gaming and OCing board for a SB 2500K without breaking the bank.

LquidSnak

System Name Self Built Desktop
Processor AMD Athlon II X3 445
Motherboard MSI 870A-G54
Cooling Zalman CNPS7500-Cu
Memory PNY XLR8 DDR3 1600 4x2GB
Video Card(s) MSI Cyclone N450GTS
Storage 4X WD caviar blue (3 500GB, 1 1TB)
Display(s) ASUS VE205T, NEC 1770GX
Case Thermaltake Armor A90
Power Supply Antec EA-650
Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Possibly suggest another board in the $150-$250 or so range that can do PCI-E x16/x16

Let me just say this:

The CPU has only 16 lanes total for graphics. Any board advertizing x16/x16, doesn't really offer much over a x8/x8 board, due to the CPU lane limitation. In order to give true x16/x16, this board msut use bridge devices, which will have thier own effect on performance. That board, specifically has that bridge chip(NF200) for Quad/Tri SLi support. If you are not going to run 3-4 VGAs, I might suggest something else.

Happita recomended teh TZ68A+...It's a good board, for sure, especially given the very low price. You get the board, the chipset, and all it's functions, a VRM capable of doing the 125W needed for 4.5GHz+, and very little "extras" that you may or may not need on a daily basis.

Unlocked CPUs have the "K" designation.

Motherboard Dell Inc.
Mouse ONN Wireless
Get either one of these and you are completely set. Both are cheap and good quality. These are great boards and 1 of em is even has an Editor's Choice Recommendation from our very own techPowerUp! for this 1:

BIOSTAR TZ68A+ LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ...

or you can have a look at this 1 too, also a good board:

BIOSTAR TZ68A+RCH LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb...

Save your money with these and do something more important with the extra cash, like spend it on a stronger graphics card ;)

I really like Biostar boards I owned 2 of them and was completely satisfied. Most cases the performance to $ ratio was great.

I am having a Issue finding the TZ68A+RCH on Biostars website. They mention the TZ68A+ version but no RCH unless I am missing something. Could they be the same board just the RCH being the new revision or something? :confused:
Search Results for "TZ68A+RCH"
Biostar Socket 1155 listings

* Next I realize x16/x16 vs x8/x8 is minimal. The TZ68A+ is x16/x4 how bad is this going to hurt Crossfire performance? Or does it equal out to about the same as x8/x8 performance wise? The charts I saw several places do show a considerable performance hit at x4 vs x8 or x16. But these charts I saw were in single card vs single card comparisons. I am pretty set on running two of the HD6850s. For the money I just havent seen anything that looks as impressive in single card or dual card. After MIR the egg shows 2 cards for $260ish. So this x16/x4 seems to be important or am I completely missing something?

I like the color scheme and features. I dislike the whole fanboy naming scheme. Either way if I can get some answers to the Biostar boards Ill be hard pressed to drop that extra $100 when not necessary.

Let me just say this:

The CPU has only 16 lanes total for graphics. Any board advertizing x16/x16, doesn't really offer much over a x8/x8 board, due to the CPU lane limitation. In order to give true x16/x16, this board msut use bridge devices, which will have thier own effect on performance. That board, specifically has that bridge chip(NF200) for Quad/Tri SLi support. If you are not going to run 3-4 VGAs, I might suggest something else.

Happita recomended teh TZ68A+...It's a good board, for sure, especially given the very low price. You get the board, the chipset, and all it's functions, a VRM capable of doing the 125W needed for 4.5GHz+, and very little "extras" that you may or may not need on a daily basis.

Unlocked CPUs have the "K" designation.

Please see the * noted response above. Maybe you can help me understand better. :)

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
I have been impressed by the asrock boards there quiet the sleepers

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Please see the * noted response above. Maybe you can help me understand better.

Two cards? Perhaps there's another option. Are there any other psecfic features you are looking for? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the ASRock board...haven't tried it yet. But it is a point to consider to most boards do have target functionality and markets in mind.

I really like Biostar boards I owned 2 of them and was completely satisfied. Most cases the performance to $ ratio was great.

I am having a Issue finding the TZ68A+RCH on Biostars website. They mention the TZ68A+ version but no RCH unless I am missing something. Could they be the same board just the RCH being the new revision or something? :confused:
Search Results for "TZ68A+RCH"
Biostar Socket 1155 listings
I'm pretty sure that the only difference in Biostar's RCH models is the included Media Center Remote+IR Receiver & HDMI Cable.

/

The boxes are identical, from the front at least, sans the "free bundle" and "RCH" graphics.

Looking at the rear pci-bracket that comes included with RCH(see Newegg pictures), it looks as if the remote receiver plugs into the motherboard, routes out the back of the PC, and then is to be positioned to point at the remote

This figure from the downloadable manual for the Biostar remote seems to support this. I downloaded it from here -> "Manual Download"

See also the Biostar A880G+ / A880G+RCH for another example of an RCH bundle.

Motherboard Dell Inc.
Mouse ONN Wireless
I have been impressed by the asrock boards there quiet the sleepers
I have used one before and thought it was a decent product as well. That is why I was willing to try them again. They remind me a lot of Biostar in bang for the buck category. :)

Two cards? Perhaps there's another option. Are there any other psecfic features you are looking for? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the ASRock board...haven't tried it yet. But it is a point to consider to most boards do have target functionality and markets in mind.
Specific features are kind of like any other FPS gamer on a budget. I really want the best I can get in gaming features (BF3 is coming :laugh:). I like to support AMD/ATI as well and two 6850s seem to be quite powerful for the $ invested. Not to mention the epeen factor I get. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that the only difference in Biostar's RCH models is the included Media Center Remote+IR Receiver & HDMI Cable.
The boxes are identical, from the front at least, sans the "free bundle" and "RCH" graphics.

Looking at the rear pci-bracket that comes included with RCH(see Newegg pictures), it looks as if the remote receiver plugs into the motherboard, routes out the back of the PC, and then is to be positioned to point at the remote

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9803/cirman.jpg
This figure from the downloadable manual for the Biostar remote seems to support this. I downloaded it from here -> "Manual Download"

See also the Biostar A880G+ / A880G+RCH for another example of an RCH bundle.

I did read the + model had the Intel Smart Response Technology that I thought would be really nice if it works properly.
Support Intel Smart Response Technology (It is required to update both “BIOS” and “Intel® RST Driver” to the latest version)
For the slight difference in price between the Biostar boards I was willing to get the more feature filled RCH one if reviews were good etc. Not sure I would use any of Media Center add ons but as long as it didnt hurt the performance gaming & OCing I thought you never know I might use a feature or two. :D That x4 just has me :confused: as to the impact it would have in Crossfire. Sort of pointless if I buy a extra card counting on it to only be cut off at the knees... :(

LquidSnak

System Name Self Built Desktop
Processor AMD Athlon II X3 445
Motherboard MSI 870A-G54
Cooling Zalman CNPS7500-Cu
Memory PNY XLR8 DDR3 1600 4x2GB
Video Card(s) MSI Cyclone N450GTS
Storage 4X WD caviar blue (3 500GB, 1 1TB)
Display(s) ASUS VE205T, NEC 1770GX
Case Thermaltake Armor A90
Power Supply Antec EA-650
For anyone that doesn't know, ASRock and ASUSTek are sister companies. I have been pleased with both of them with my time as a system builder, and am just recently branching out for a personal build from those two companies.

Motherboard Dell Inc.
Mouse ONN Wireless