• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 840 Evo boot windows boot lag

System Name Gaming RIG
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula
Cooling XSPC cpu block, EKWB 780 waterblock, XSPC bay reservoir, d5 pump etc
Memory Patriot Viper 16gb ddr3 2133mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Hi everyone, not sure if this is in the right place or not but I am having a really annoying slow boot issue with windows 7 and my 250gb 840 evo drive.

After a clean install less than a month ago I was pretty pleased with the performance of my new SSD but after install various games and applications that I need I found that on boot after the ROG splash screen and before the windows boot screen I would get a cursor flashing up in the top left corner of my screen. It would flash like it would, say waiting for input in dos or a cmd window, and then move around alternating between flashing in the top most line and then reappearing a few inches down and flashing some more. This would happen for what felt like ages (probably less than a minute) then the boot would carry on as normal.

This is not a huge issue and I have been living with it, it is just annoying as it like at least doubles my boot time if not triples or more. I have tried fixing my master boot record and searching for errors using the windows recovery tool, also cleaning my registry with ccleaner but still no luck.

I am about to do a clean reinstall of windows 7 but would rather avoid the hassle of reinstalling everything when I have just done it only a couple of weeks ago.

any ideas?

My rig details if necessary are:
i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz
GTX 780
Custom water cooling loop
Patriot DDR3 16gb 2133mhz ram
Asus ROG maximus VI formula mobo
Corsair HX1000 psu
samsung 840 evo 250gb ssd

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
use defraggler and try a boot time defrag it should move system files for a faster boot. It wont hurt to try.

System Name Gaming RIG
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Thanks will give it a try

System Name Gaming RIG
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Was worth a shot but unfortunately no luck still that damn annoying flickering cursor!! My desktop at work is actually booting faster or at least about the same speed as my gaming rig atm, now that is a depressing thought haha. Might be time for a clean install

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Using any mice or other input devices that need drivers? Unless something in the OS is damaged I'd be looking at the things you have installed. I'd try unchecking everything from "startup" in msconfig.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
use defraggler and try a boot time defrag it should move system files for a faster boot. It wont hurt to try.

nope. defragging is not recommended for SSD. try to check if trim is enabled...

and also on the bios settings, disable ASMedia ASM1061 controllers and make sure to connect your SSD on the the right sata ports.....

the 6 right sata port is connected to the Z87 chipset....... and the 4 left sata port is controlled by Asmedia

I found out this one long time ago it adds like atleast 20 seconds on boot time.... The sata port controller chipset add delays and the controllers are also so slow in write / read compared to sata's connected to the chipset.

System Name Gaming RIG
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Thanks for the replies, will try everything as soon as I get home from work tonight. Also night.fox thanks for clearing this up for me as that was another question I was considering, ie which sata ports are z87 vs ASMedia and is there a difference in performance! I am using the ASMedia ones currently, as it turns out, so will remedy that asap.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Thanks for the replies, will try everything as soon as I get home from work tonight. Also night.fox thanks for clearing this up for me as that was another question I was considering, ie which sata ports are z87 vs ASMedia and is there a difference in performance! I am using the ASMedia ones currently, as it turns out, so will remedy that asap.

thats the reason why.... 2 years ago I experienced that ^_^.... thats why I know... and its really annoying.... lol....

make sure trim is enabled

http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7

some useful readings

http://lifehacker.com/5586733/how-to-take-full-advantage-of-your-solid+state-drive

oh on your bios, check also that your SSD are set as "SSD". I cant really tell you how to but check in your manual. I guess it must be written in there....

be sure to set also as "AHCI" mode....

I dont have z87 board but I am guessing, must be also same as z77 motherboard...

System Name Gaming RIG
Case Cooler Master HAF X
Changed to the z87 chipset sata ports and definitely got quite a noticeable boost in ssd drive benchmarks! Very pleased about that thanks night.fox. My OS is setup for an sdd with all of the above settings sorted. Still having the issue though, tried disabling all usb devices during post in case it was a missing driver or clash of some sort with one of my peripherals but nope. Sure it must be software/driver related but think instead of just trial and error disabling/un-installing things I will just clean install sometime soonish when it annoys me too much! Thanks for all the replies anyway everyone!

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Changed to the z87 chipset sata ports and definitely got quite a noticeable boost in ssd drive benchmarks! Very pleased about that thanks night.fox. My OS is setup for an sdd with all of the above settings sorted. Still having the issue though, tried disabling all usb devices during post in case it was a missing driver or clash of some sort with one of my peripherals but nope. Sure it must be software/driver related but think instead of just trial and error disabling/un-installing things I will just clean install sometime soonish when it annoys me too much! Thanks for all the replies anyway everyone!

I run with a flashed Titan Bios (SLV7) and it gives a pre boot boot screen for a second or so. It definitely has all the hallmarks of a hardware/driver/bios issue. Sometime after a windows update my Corsair K70 has a few issues and that again requires me to fiddle with the inbuilt BIOS switches on the keyboard itself.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Im glad you notice some difference although doesnt help with boot. Samsung has a software call samsung driver magician

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

this one can check status of your SSD, help optimizing.

Yes definitely better to re install your windows.... I dont know if you are running win 8.1 / 8 or win 7.

reinstalling on SSD is fast. especially when installing thru USB stick. DVD optical drive is long.....

Installing win 8 on EFI mode will greatly help as well booting. If your 780 has a UEFI-GOP vbios, enable that ultra fast boot and you will notice that your booting will be less than 15 secs ^_^. Ensure to disable any sata controllers or any controllers in your bios especially the one you are not using. Disable it first before reinstalling your windows