• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I don't care about theoreticals, I care about the practical reality in the market right now. That is what I'm buying into, not the promise of tomorrow. So far, QLC did not deliver and there were numerous other SSD related developments that similarly did not deliver. In all new things storage the wise approach is to wait and see how reliable it truly turns out to be. You're right that in theory you could make great QLC drives... but then the next question is, how expensive are those? If you have to put expensive memory and other hardware next to ultra cheap NAND, the net gain might be zero, and judging by the pricing, it apparently is.

But hey, to each his own, if you have faith in QLC, by all means, worship it.

The retention figure is interesting, I knew the article, but yes, all things considered 10 years is still pretty long in the consumer situation I suggested. Its not very likely a mechanical HDD will do that much better as far as recovering your data goes; it just runs a different sort of risk. So fair enough, maybe QLC is half decent for longer term mass storage (not necessarily cold storage :)).

Do you really think that Intel and Samsung, two of the biggest NAND manufacturers in the world, would put money into R&D and production of QLC if they didn't have faith in it? I don't. As such, I have faith in QLC inasmuch as I have faith in those companies' abilities to make prudent decisions around the future of NAND.

My personal take on QLC is that it hasn't been prioritised as highly as it could have been, mostly due to the advent of 3D NAND which extended the market lifetime of TLC NAND. But all good things come to an end and TLC's is coming, which means QLC is now getting the focus it needs to become a viable product. Unfortunately, "viable" means "not cut to the bone because Samsung are greedy fucks" like this model of drive.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Do you really think that Intel and Samsung, two of the biggest NAND manufacturers in the world, would put money into R&D and production of QLC if they didn't have faith in it? I don't. As such, I have faith in QLC inasmuch as I have faith in those companies' abilities to make prudent decisions around the future of NAND.
Faith in QLC is not a requirement. They have marketing departments to make sure it all comes down to faith in finding enough suckers to buy the finished product.

I'm sure they considered carefully where QLC will end up before committing, but at the same time I'm also pretty sure neither could predict exactly where QLC will end up.
Maybe there's untapped potential, but these initial batches are definitely not worth it. And since these initial batches are all we have so far, that's what QLC is judged by.

Processor i7 4770K
Motherboard Asus Z87-Expert
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S, &case fans all controlled by Aquaero 6
Memory 2x8GB TeamGroup Xtreem LV 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Vega 64
Storage Samsung 840 Pro + 2x 5GB WD Red@RAID1
Display(s) Dell U3014
Case Lian Li PC-A71B
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR, Objective2 (2x), AKG K702&712, Beyerdynamic DT990
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 650 (+Eaton 5P 1550 as "backup power")
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G810
Faith in QLC is not a requirement. They have marketing departments to make sure it all comes down to faith in finding enough suckers to buy the finished product.
That's why everyone wants to sell brand nowadays for Joe Average Consumer.
I mean just look at Samsung's SSD prices.
Half TB NVMe costs usually quite near to 1TB NVMes of others.
TLC SATA drive costs same/little as same size NVMes from others.
And QLC SATA drive costs same/more than TLC SATA drives of others.

Can't wait to see their PCIe v4 drive prices.
Probably 200+ % more per GB/TB than perfectly good PCIe v3 drive...
We should just call PC Master Race plain Cash Cow Race for buying so much brand and marketing hype overpriced stuff.

Those companies are managed by bean counters and marketing clowns, not by actual engineers.

QLC's only promise is consuming less of that expensive silicon area per bit.
Outside that it's technically polishing turd and brand sticker, or 4bit "MLC" marketing scammery won't change that.
And I doubt that will ever change:
In planar NAND with its mandated tiny transistors TLC was similar mess and needed regular data refresh to have better data retention than garbage quality CD/DVD blanks.
Only 3D NAND's big transistors made TLC well working.
But now there's no "4D" NAND or any such trick remaining to fix QLC.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
"buy the cheapest SSD you can find, you'll save $30 and it will still perform better than the Samsung 870 QVO"

Ouch. What a turd!

Samsung really have dropped the ball on NAND products recently. They're not in the headlines as performance leaders any more, they're just overpriced also-rans in a very crowded field of decent NVMe drives.

As for their QLC products, they've consistently been terrible. I mean, the ancient P1 and 660p are not 'good' SSDs but at least they're adequate.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
They're not in the headlines as performance leaders any more, they're just overpriced also-rans in a very crowded field of decent NVMe drives.
Other than for those of us who trust the Samsung name. I'm one of them. I have two Samsung SSDs in my desktop and they've never let me down, they provide fantastic performance.

Last edited:
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Other than for those of us who trust the Samsung name. I'm one of them. I have two Samsung SSDs in my desktop and they've never let me down, they provide fantastic performance.
Yeah, I don't trust Samsung. I had to manually install scheduled workarounds for 50+ defective Samsung 840 and 840EVO drives. Samsung should have recalled those drives, and the firmware shouldn't have taken 18 months to arrive, and it only addressed ONE of the three affected products with 1st-gen TLC.

I don't suspect anyone with a self-detonating Samsung Note or an exploding Samsung washing machine, or failed 13-month old LED TV will fully trust them either. They're a bad company that, despite being popular, have cut corners plenty of times leaving the consumer either out of pocket, or at risk from unsafe product design. Given their size, Samsung as a company have lost more class action lawsuits than seems reasonable.

They take risks, use consumers as paying guinea-pigs and deal with the acceptable (to them) fallout because multi-billion dollar marketing budgets shout louder than some negative press. Let's face it, on average, consumers are fickle and stupid with short memories. They buy what's shiny and fashionable, not what's necessarily good value, safe, reliable, or environmentally-responsible...

Overall QLC is awful for ppl who like a SSD-like performance

But the next thing is Samsung-prices. But the 4TB is the cheapest I get here, the next is QLC Adata SU630

But if you look for 4TB or more is hard to find something. Dunno why Crucial don´t have 4TB of MX500.

System Name ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Processor Intel Core i7-4790K (Delidded) with Rockit 88 100% Copper IHS
Motherboard ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB (8GB x4) GSkill TridentX DDR3 2400 (XMP Mode #1) Timings: 10-12-12-31
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 (8GB GDDR5)
Storage 512GB Samsung 970 PRO (NVMe), 2TB WD Gold WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB1 SATA-3 Data drive
Display(s) LG 27UL500-W 27-Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS Monitor with Radeon Freesync Technology and HDR10, White
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black, no Window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard Optical (TOSLINK) from MB to VIZIO soundbar
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 650
Mouse Logitech M215
Keyboard Logitech K330
Software Windows 10 Pro Secured by Emsisoft Internet Security & Malwarebytes Premium Version 3
Benchmark Scores http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2157372
This isn't the 1st time Samsung has produced a 'value' SSD & became a flop fast.:D

Believe it was called the 750 EVO, with a similar 3 year warranty, with watered down TLC components (maybe what QLC is today. After all, this is a corporation which still calls their 850 EVO & 970 EVO's '3-bit MLC' drives. There's no such thing (or no other has marketed it as such), these are TLC drives.

That said, unlike Samsung's venture into the 750 EVO, Intel & other distributors has hopped onto the wagon (maybe Intel was first). Today, QLC stands in the same position as TLC in 2013/14, many of these drives had issues, such as the Samsung 840 EVO, to which they shipped out a 'fix' to help with read slowness. This utility was to be ran once monthly or as needed. However, I had two of these drives, the 120GB model runs perfect to this day (although due to size, capped at 450MB/sec read & write), the 250GB benches like a SATA-2 SSD at times. I've found running the Disk Fresh tool (free download), in read only mode, to be a better solution & takes about half as long to do the job (if the drive isn't too badly messed up). Sometimes, will need to be ran twice. Afterwards, benchmarks shows the drive to near specifications, at least for a week or two.

That was the price of being an early TLC adopter & will be the same with QLC. I can't believe how some of the popular YouTube review sites recommends the Intel 660p (1TB QLC NVMe), which reads & writes at near PCIe 2.0 speeds. When one can for $20 more (or less on promo), get a TLC model of the same size which will read at up to 3,500 MB/sec & write up to 3,000 MB/sec, What type of idiots to these professional reviewers think we are? They must be paid good to make these bold claims.

While they maintain one can't 'tell the difference', try transferring a newly released Windows 10 ISO onto this drive from another source, will begin to throttle after 100-150MB. These aren't designed to dump 3-4GB of data on at a rapid pace. Looks like they're using their 'premium' DRAM chips in GPU's & passing the watered down crap to the SSD line. Maybe this is also why the DRAM-less models. LIke QLC, these throttles fast.

I only hope that the Samsung keeps their Pro line of SSD's (SATA-3 & NVMe) of MLC drives on the market, no need to water these down. No one will pay current Pro prices for TLC drives, like $159 (current price) for a 512GB 970 Pro. Not going to happen. Intel has already taken the dive, hopefully Samsung won't, not on their top line models.

Cat

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
This isn't the 1st time Samsung has produced a 'value' SSD & became a flop fast.:D

Believe it was called the 750 EVO, with a similar 3 year warranty, with watered down TLC components (maybe what QLC is today. After all, this is a corporation which still calls their 850 EVO & 970 EVO's '3-bit MLC' drives. There's no such thing (or no other has marketed it as such), these are TLC drives.

That said, unlike Samsung's venture into the 750 EVO, Intel & other distributors has hopped onto the wagon (maybe Intel was first). Today, QLC stands in the same position as TLC in 2013/14, many of these drives had issues, such as the Samsung 840 EVO, to which they shipped out a 'fix' to help with read slowness. This utility was to be ran once monthly or as needed. However, I had two of these drives, the 120GB model runs perfect to this day (although due to size, capped at 450MB/sec read & write), the 250GB benches like a SATA-2 SSD at times. I've found running the Disk Fresh tool (free download), in read only mode, to be a better solution & takes about half as long to do the job (if the drive isn't too badly messed up). Sometimes, will need to be ran twice. Afterwards, benchmarks shows the drive to near specifications, at least for a week or two.

That was the price of being an early TLC adopter & will be the same with QLC. I can't believe how some of the popular YouTube review sites recommends the Intel 660p (1TB QLC NVMe), which reads & writes at near PCIe 2.0 speeds. When one can for $20 more (or less on promo), get a TLC model of the same size which will read at up to 3,500 MB/sec & write up to 3,000 MB/sec, What type of idiots to these professional reviewers think we are? They must be paid good to make these bold claims.

While they maintain one can't 'tell the difference', try transferring a newly released Windows 10 ISO onto this drive from another source, will begin to throttle after 100-150MB. These aren't designed to dump 3-4GB of data on at a rapid pace. Looks like they're using their 'premium' DRAM chips in GPU's & passing the watered down crap to the SSD line. Maybe this is also why the DRAM-less models. LIke QLC, these throttles fast.

I only hope that the Samsung keeps their Pro line of SSD's (SATA-3 & NVMe) of MLC drives on the market, no need to water these down. No one will pay current Pro prices for TLC drives, like $159 (current price) for a 512GB 970 Pro. Not going to happen. Intel has already taken the dive, hopefully Samsung won't, not on their top line models.

Cat
Diskfresh was my solution to the Samsung 840, 840Evo, and all the OEM PM881 drives that were utterly broken. Only the 840 EVO ever received a fix in firmware, so that was no use to the 100+ mixed models that I had to deal with and like you say, the Firmware fix was both months too late and not particularly good anyway.

The 750 Evo was not that bad, the c´tmagazine made a reliability-test with it and the both 750 250GB write 1,2PB till failure. The other end was theBX200 with 187TB/283TB till failure

The problem with the 750 was more the price and the little capacities

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Yeah picking up another tomorrow a 860 1TB, i nearly got the QVO as max performance is not needed with so many games but like 37$ gets you a better performing one so ended up getting the none QVO, all so picked up a MX500 too.

aviasd

I wish I would have found this article before I bought my 860 QVO.

I've spent 4 days investigating my SATA controllers , SATA cables, Mobo, drivers etc, failing to realize Samsung would put out such a horrible performance disk on the market.

After some research, I found out that indeed such a drive exists and called an SSD but in real life performs lower than a low end HDD!

Samsung looks shy about advertising this as can be seen on the product's page under the fine fine print ( I don't recall when I saw a disclaimer in such a small font), but on the Product's spec , it does specify that speeds go down after TurboWrite buffer is exhausted - again in small print (bullet no. 3).

There's a claim is that TurboWrite adjusts for up to 48Gb depending on available space but all my tests on an emptied disk shows that TW is always exhausted after 12-16GB of writes)

The drive is priced a bit more than other manufacturers on the low end (~5-10$ on the 1Tb model) , but even the lowest end SSDs don't exhibit this behavior. ( verified )

It's a problem there is no awareness by the standard consumer - or even resellers for that matter, that a drive can be branded as SSD and underperform in such a way, especially when bought from a giant like Samsung which most people consider as reliable.

As said on the article, a synthetic benchmark does show the expected speeds but in real life this disk is useless if writing extensively, IMO correctly pointing out that the drive was designed to perform well on these synthetic tests.

The degraded performance and exhausting of SLC can be seen in CrystalDiskMark by writing around 16Gb of data (8Gb file twice, or 16GB file once) - the speed should be around 80Mb/s. The sequential write test is enough to show this.
Anything sized below that, (providing that the SLC had enough idle time to evict data) should show write speeds of around 500Mb/s.

I used to buy Samsung's products and recommended them to family and friends as reliable, but after this stunt I'm going to avoid them as much as possible.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
I wish I would have found this article before I bought my 860 QVO.

I've spent 4 days investigating my SATA controllers , SATA cables, Mobo, drivers etc, failing to realize Samsung would put out such a horrible performance disk on the market.

After some research, I found out that indeed such a drive exists and called an SSD but in real life performs lower than a low end HDD!

Samsung looks shy about advertising this as can be seen on the product's page under the fine fine print ( I don't recall when I saw a disclaimer in such a small font), but on the Product's spec , it does specify that speeds go down after TurboWrite buffer is exhausted - again in small print (bullet no. 3).

There's a claim is that TurboWrite adjusts for up to 48Gb depending on available space but all my tests on an emptied disk shows that TW is always exhausted after 12-16GB of writes)

The drive is priced a bit more than other manufacturers on the low end (~5-10$ on the 1Tb model) , but even the lowest end SSDs don't exhibit this behavior. ( verified )

It's a problem there is no awareness by the standard consumer - or even resellers for that matter, that a drive can be branded as SSD and underperform in such a way, especially when bought from a giant like Samsung which most people consider as reliable.

As said on the article, a synthetic benchmark does show the expected speeds but in real life this disk is useless if writing extensively, IMO correctly pointing out that the drive was designed to perform well on these synthetic tests.

The degraded performance and exhausting of SLC can be seen in CrystalDiskMark by writing around 16Gb of data (8Gb file twice, or 16GB file once) - the speed should be around 80Mb/s. The sequential write test is enough to show this.
Anything sized below that, (providing that the SLC had enough idle time to evict data) should show write speeds of around 500Mb/s.

I used to buy Samsung's products and recommended them to family and friends as reliable, but after this stunt I'm going to avoid them as much as possible.

So you could say good enough for most gaming needs ?, although i believe the Samsung 1TB at $100 is to much for it as you have the MX500 for the same price. Not many people copy GB's of data in one run never mind 12+GB.

This is why you should check out a bunch of reviews before buying.

aviasd

So you could say good enough for most gaming needs ?, although i believe the Samsung 1TB at $100 is to much for it as you have the MX500 for the same price. Not many people copy GB's of data in one run never mind 12+GB.

This is why you should check out a bunch of reviews before buying.

For gaming needs yes, for developers no.
I don't know what's the ratio between work related use of SSDs to gaming but in my soho I stop/resume 8GB VMs as a standard use.
This document by Samsung states that evicting up the TW cache on 1TB model takes 55s on idle time, but it does not describe what is considered idle time. My setup for example writes at a constant rate of 4Mb/s to the disk various logs and files and i didn't observe complete eviction also after 3mins of "idle" time.

My purpose of buying the SSD was to get expected results from an SSD. I'm not an expert on these things and only after the fact found this QLC/SLC thing. It was not to get the best disk, but a reasonable SSD from a reputed company..

I really don't think consumer should spend a few hours before buying something like an SSD and this article is the only one I found which clearly states the awfulness of the disk, and it's after direct query ("samsung qlc technology is bad") - it doesn't show up in the first page result on a standard search.

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Then i guess you should of done your research ?. If more people did spend time in what they are buying there be a lot less people complaining when stuff is not up to what they imagined.

Like shi anyways it don't take 2 hours more like 10-30 minutes for the most part.

EDIT:
Shame you did not do your research before hand then MAYBE you would of found TPU and found out what you needed to know.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
So you could say good enough for most gaming needs ?
If you are willing to wait extra long during game installs/decrypt/updates, maybe. Level loading will be barely affected. But why pay SO much more than any other drive for A LOT less performance? Unless you want to give money to the Samsung charity of course

aviasd

Maybe I was misunderstood - Before buying I always do a certain research - usually on sites like UserBench and reading a couple of reviews, as was done for this SSD. This entails the 10-30 minutes research you're referring..

But in this particular case you wouldn't encounter this issue unless you knew you what you're looking for, since UserBench test is also fooled by TW.
Only after research and exact search querying I found TPU's review, in fact, after believing my drive was actually faulty.

In retrospect I don't know if I could have done something different before actually getting hands on the drive because really it's very hard to find this issue searching the web..
You can check for yourself....

EDIT: Yes, from now on TPU is my new goto place for research :)

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
I didn't say it was worth it, in fact i said i think it's over priced due to one example the MX500. You talking what i said out of context.

Right now for me the 860 1TB is $137 and the QVO is about 35$ less, but you have the Crucial MX500 at 103$ which is for sure the better option but in the line of work he's doing he would of been better of spending the little extra.

What games load 12+GB ?. again for the most part most would not even notice.

Maybe I was misunderstood - Before buying I always do a certain research - usually on sites like UserBench and reading a couple of reviews, as was done for this SSD. This entails the 10-30 minutes research you're referring..

But in this particular case you wouldn't encounter this issue unless you knew you what you're looking for, since UserBench test is also fooled by TW.
Only after research and exact search querying I found TPU's review, in fact, after believing my drive was actually faulty.

In retrospect I don't know if I could have done something different before actually getting hands on the drive because really it's very hard to find this issue searching the web..
You can check for yourself....

Yeah never go by just one place, who the hell is TW ?.

I guess lesson learned, shit happens, although if you not had the drve to long maybe you can return it ?.

aviasd

Yeah never go by just one place, who the hell is TW ?.

TW = Samsung's TurboWrite

I guess lesson learned, shit happens, although if you not had the drve to long maybe you can return it ?.
lol, It on the resellers lab right now.
My guess is that he didn't know about this thing because he said that this degraded performances after 12GB is bad and he's going to check the disk for a while...
I've had the drive for bout a month and a half now - Best case he'll replace it , worst case I lost 130$... worse things can happen..

AsRock

TPU addict
Cooling D15
Good Luck

EDIT: Welcome to TPU.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I didn't say it was worth it, in fact i said i think it's over priced due to one example the MX500. You talking what i said out of context.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I just saw several people in other social media defend the drive "it's good enough for gaming"

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
This has definitely made me question the quality of my 860 QVO...

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2

TIL that the 1TB model is single-channel and only has a guaranteed SLC cache of 6GB.

That makes it no better than MicroSD/eMMC!

I feel sorry for anyone who is trying to use an 860QVO as a consumer system drive. IMO its unfit for purpose and the only niche it's remotely suitable for would be as WORM media for a high-performance archive server. Except anyone building a high-performance archive server has far better QLC options from more reputable brands than Samsung, so the QVO is basically an un-polishable, un-flushable turd.

Good luck with the refund. MX500 is a fine drive, as are the latest WD Blue and Sandisk Ultra

Last edited:
I´m not a fan of Samsungs overpriced SSDs, but I´m not sure whether any competitor write in the specs the write speed after the SLC-cache, but Samsung did it.

However, with SSDs up to 2TB I would stay with the MX500 or Samsung/WD 3D, makes much more sense to me than any SSD with QLC, whatever the name of the manufacturer is.

Hope Crucial will also bring larger capacites with a Crucial-like price. And hope the MX500 will stay a long time or replace it with a good one.

aviasd

Update:
In the end, the reseller decided that the disk was defective and offered a new Samsung EVO.
He wasn't aware about the TurboWrite/Qlc issues even though I tried to explain him

I declined his offer and got a refund :)

Hope more people were aware of this and decline to purchase.. Maybe it would have forced Samsung to stop using this tech or at least put in a warning. This disk is so popular in Israel...