• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Electronics Presents a New Graphene Device Structure

Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology, the core R&D incubator for Samsung Electronics, has developed a new transistor structure utilizing graphene, touted as the "miracle material." As published online in the journal Science on Thursday, 17th May, this research is regarded to have brought us one step closer to the development of transistors that can overcome the limits of conventional silicon.

Currently, semiconductor devices consist of billions of silicon transistors. To increase the performance of semiconductors (the speed of devices), the options have to been to either reduce the size of individual transistors to shorten the traveling distance of electrons, or to use a material with higher electron mobility which allows for faster electron velocity. For the past 40 years, the industry has been increasing performance by reducing size. However, experts believe we are now nearing the potential limits of scaling down.

Image courtesy of Sammy Hub

Since graphene possesses electron mobility about 200 times greater than that of silicon, it has been considered a potential substitute. Although one issue with graphene is that, unlike conventional semiconducting materials, current cannot be switched off because it is semi-metallic. This has become the key issue in realizing graphene transistors. Both on and off flow of current is required in a transistor to represent "1" and "0" of digital signals. Previous solutions and research have tried to convert graphene into a semi-conductor. However, this radically decreased the mobility of graphene, leading to skepticism over the feasibility of graphene transistors.

By re-engineering the basic operating principles of digital switches, Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology has developed a device that can switch off the current in graphene without degrading its mobility. The demonstrated graphene-silicon Schottky barrier can switch current on or off by controlling the height of the barrier. The new device was named Barristor, after its barrier-controllable feature.

In addition, to expand the research into the possibility of logic device applications, the most basic logic gate (inverter) and logic circuits (half-adder) were fabricated, and basic operation (adding) was demonstrated.

Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology owns 9 major patents related to the structure and the operating method of the Graphene Barristor.

As demonstrated in this research, the institute has solved the most difficult problem in graphene device research and has opened the door to new directions for future studies. This breakthrough continues to keep Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology at the forefront of graphene-related industries.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Intel says..."Woot!!! Ghz race is back baby!!! Take that ARM!!!"
AMD says..."At least our graphics still won't suck!!"

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
This sounds awesome, to bad i could see the company's getting this tech, but only slowly raising the speed because say that you can take a 3GHz CPU(mid range)and now make it at 5GHz(still mid range of the new CPU's) most people in that product range now will not have to upgrade for years to come company's don't like that.

I honestly think lots of tech could be a lot faster now, but sense software programs are still playing catchup they aren't giving us their true power.

my crazy $0.02

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I honestly think lots of tech could be a lot faster now, but sense software programs are still playing catchup they aren't giving us their true power.

I don't know, some software uses everything you throw at it.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
I don't know, some software uses everything you throw at it.

More precisely: many programs keep finding new ways to waste any resources that our advancing technology can increasingly offer. [Averted in many games, though.]
In other words: one can usually get away with sloppy, easy-to-do and inefficient programming designs & using slow, but easy-to-use programming languages by throwing more processing power & memory into the equation. Also, knowing that such way to write programs is a great way to reduce development time, no wonder the world is almost universally falling into this temptation to program this way. :shadedshu

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
True, but now look at the variety of software that you have and the applications that are available.

Sure my nokia was the fastest phone ive ever owned. But I can watch netflix on this one...

This is huge news - i remember when IBM started messing around with graphene and nanotech, and how promising that research was - this could really be a massive game changer in the way chips are manufactured in the near future.

System Name my box
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
True, but now look at the variety of software that you have and the applications that are available.

Yet, something always bugged me:
Most of the software I normally use is FOSS. When I am/was forced to run window$, quite a lot of software I had [or was forced] to use there was closed source/proprietary/non-free. Many FOSS programs I use are equivalents of those closed source programs, and not rarely, FOSS ones are more capable.
But the strange part of it was - FOSS programs are almost without exception have a ~5-20 times smaller [file]size.
Sometimes such difference is somewhat possible to explain, but when the difference in size becomes a couple of hundred megs or even over a gig... What. the. Butt!?

So, yeah, variety. But this 'variety' makes my brain stumble.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Yet, something always bugged me:
Most of the software I normally use is FOSS. When I am/was forced to run window$, quite a lot of software I had [or was forced] to use there was closed source/proprietary/non-free. Many FOSS programs I use are equivalents of those closed source programs, and not rarely, FOSS ones are more capable.
But the strange part of it was - FOSS programs are almost without exception have a ~5-20 times smaller [file]size.
Sometimes such difference is somewhat possible to explain, but when the difference in size becomes a couple of hundred megs or even over a gig... What. the. Butt!?

So, yeah, variety. But this 'variety' makes my brain stumble.

I rationalize it like this: Microsoft Excel. I use this all the time so I can tell the difference. I have open office too.

But MS excel has a TON more hidden features, programmed logic, prediction and text manipulation functionality, ability to program powerful macros, grab data off web pages... etc... So much so that people write entire applications in Excel. I had recently wrote an HL7 message spoofer: something normally done by a program like Mirth, that could log into our database using ODBC credentials, pull data, populate rows and create a bit-correct .HL7 file (with return carriage characters so it was recognized by the Unix HL7 engine), then write it to a monitored directory for the engine to pick up, with a unique ID.

Point is open office can't touch that. The complexity that allows that feature set to work is exponential.

System Name my box
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
@phanbuey

Hmm... point taken.

Yet, it does look wasteful, when an app consists of: >95% installer+uninstaller, <5% actual app (seen a few). Or ~40% installer+uninstaller, ~45% many layers of wrappers and some libraries for those wrappers, ~15% actual app (seen quite a lot).

P.S. Vinska hates anything related to office suites. And uses no more than Vinska is forced to. [lol, speaking in 3rd person, lol!]

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
The demonstrated graphene-silicon Schottky barrier can switch current on or off by controlling the height of the barrier

The transistor in graphene might have a structure similar to a MESFET. This is different from the MOSFET in silicon.

The gallium arsenide MESFET is able to operate at frequencies in excess of 250 GHz since the electron mobility of GaAs is much higher than silicon. This technology never took off because GaAs doesn't have a stable oxide layer like the silicon, and it was very difficult to scale MESFETs.

I hope graphene transistor has a different future.

Last edited:
Vinska you are looking at it with the wrong perspective. I can understand where you are coming from. I use both Linux and Windows, a more recent addition to the linux community. Much like phanbuey I love excel and it is wasted on 99% of the people that use it (I have open office as well). I also understand the simplicity of a well designed program in linux.
However..... The majority of the world is not us. It is full of people that would rather pay $$ than learn. Windows is sold complete, the programs install completely configured (majority of them), and the user can be dumb and make it work. There are many things in linux I still struggle with making it do, this is a training/learning problem on my end and I understand this. Most people would not and wouldn't bother trying...
Windows and their $$ software groups rule both the consumer and the enterprise markets because many (many not everyone) people are lazy or stupid and money is not scarce enough.
There are also some things paid for software does better.

Sorry on topic ; )
I'd love to see how this follows through, it would be a nice advancement. Especially for the mobile/compact markets.

System Name my box
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
I am wondering: (when|if) they improve this technology well enough to be able to make reasonable and practically usable integrated circuits... how well will they be in speed, component size and profitability? Silicon IC technologies will probably advance some more till that day comes. I bet when they reach "able to make graphene ICs for consumers, not just for it's R&D", it will probably be at least a little slower than the current IC, and much worse on component size (well, this is made mostly to allow making faster chips without reducing components), and most importantly - profitability. What I am saying: no one will mass produce chips that are unprofitable and cost a hell lot to produce (compared to what we have now). And that means - we will probably have to wait quite f***ing long till we will be able to say "My computer runs with a graphene CPU & GPU! Weee!!"