• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Exynos SoC with AMD RDNA GPU Destroys Competition, Apple 14 Bionic SoC Kneels

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
LOLcalmdown

And if the GPUs got bigger, as you desire, then they would be capable of higher resolution gaming, and would become bottlenecked by memory bandwidth, which is why AMD hasnt done it. You defanged your OWN argument with this little tidbit.
Apologist arguments like that are why AMD's IGPs are so lame at the moment.

We're not talking about enough of a performance jump to go to much higher resolutions, we're just trying to get barely playable games that run 20-30fps to run at maybe 30-50fps. Even a 50% performance jump is well within the limits of current DDR4.

it was expected, Desktop architectures are more powerful than mobile counterparts, For example the TEGRA x1 is still the most powerful mobile GPU with 256 Cores even after nearly 6 years of duty

What are you talking about, did you actually believe that? The A14's GPU is WAY faster than the Tegra X1, and the iPad Pro's GPU from 3 years ago was way faster also. The M1's GPU which will be in the next iPad Pro is 4x faster, at least.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Which part of mobile devices eat much power? Display, CPU part, GPU part, RAM, flash storage, radio transmitter/antenna, other?

Tegra is the SoC CPU/GPU/IO/Memory Controller which is all one part. Anything, well the few, that came specced with a Tegra chip had terrible battery life.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Samsung is back.

Now AMD needs to start using Samsung fabs.

System Name Eula
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7900X PBO
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix XT
Memory Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 64GB (4x16GB F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) EXPO II, OCCT Tested
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC
Storage Corsair MP600 XT NVMe 2TB, Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB and Toshiba N300 NAS 10TB HDD
Display(s) 2X LG 27UL600 27in 4K HDR FreeSync/G-Sync DP
Case Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000W
Mouse SteelSeries Prime Pro Gaming Mouse
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 5
Software MS Windows 11 Pro
As far as I'm aware they are using Vega gpu, not RDNA or RDNA2. Its a custom Vega gpu with some RDNA features in it. But even existing mobile gpu's are using old AMD patents, since AMD decided to sell a ton of it patents about a decade ago when they were struggling for money.
Major improvements with RDNA are the lower graphics pipeline latency and "delta color compression everywhere".

it was expected, Desktop architectures are more powerful than mobile counterparts, For example the TEGRA x1 is still the most powerful mobile GPU with 256 Cores even after nearly 6 years of duty

You need to hit Shift+F5 few times..

Tegra has been out performed by multiple SoC.
Yes it was the best performer for few years, but it suffered from high-power consumption, it was one of the reasons the Tegra didn't succeed well in the mobile market (the other reasons are cost and lack of radio silicon).

Today, almost all high-end SoC's from even 2-3 years outperform Tegra, depending on which benchmark and what SoC (which vendor). For example, according to notebookcheck, the Snapdragon 865 is on average over 80% faster than Tegra X1 (both CPU and GPU sides).

It's not like Apple reinvented the wheel with Apple A14 Bionic, they blatantly borrowed/stole everything they had access too but they don't have access to latest technology.
As i read somewhere qualcomm GPU is based on bought IP from AMD many many years ago, so everything in mobile phones space is based on old Amd IP that got refreshed with whatever money qualcomm and probably apple put in R&D.
Samsung made a smart move updating it's GPU to the best architecture available except ray-tracing :D

When Hector Ruiz was the CEO of AMD, he bought ATi, and after few months the financial crisis started so he sold the mobile and embedded centric part of ATi to Qualcomm to get cash (among other things), this includes the Adreno GPU (which is just an anagram of Radeon, eg.. same letters, different order) and IIRC the Geode processors intended for embedded systems like TV's and so on. Because he felt at that time that those embedded and mobile things were not the future. It was just few years before the exploding of smartphones.

Without power figures....this news is for idiots.
An RX6900XT blows A14 out of the water...at 300W.
So when I'll see that this SoC beats A14 at the same power consumption, then I'll buy it.
But I seriously doubt it.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
Samsung is back.

Now AMD needs to start using Samsung fabs.

No, AMD should be avoiding this as Samsung is known shamelessly steal IP, then drag things out in court regardless the outcome they'll win because by the time everything is settled it won't matter anymore.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
No, AMD should be avoiding this as Samsung is known shamelessly steal IP, then drag things out in court regardless the outcome they'll win because by the time everything is settled it won't matter anymore.

Then AMDs growth will be capped pretty hard as Apple, Qualcomm, and possibly Intel suck down TSMCs wafer fab capacity for the next few years. Meanwhile Nvidia will keep knocking out GPUs with Samsung, and Intel CPUs and potentially GPUs with its own fabs.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Software Windows 10 Pro
Then AMDs growth will be capped pretty hard as Apple, Qualcomm, and possibly Intel suck down TSMCs wafer fab capacity for the next few years. Meanwhile Nvidia will keep knocking out GPUs with Samsung, and Intel CPUs and potentially GPUs with its own fabs.

Their all in the same boat. Nothing is stopping AMD from taking their share of wafers from TSMC, and not going with Samsung gives them a more favorable terms at TSMC. Pretty sure that's why Nvidia and Intel are throwing in with Samsung in the first place, taking what they can get since they can't get preferred treatment at TSMC.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Destroys might be a strong term, unless they are competing in Robot Wars.

System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Merc 310 RX 7900 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Asus A21
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
And if the GPUs got bigger, as you desire, then they would be capable of higher resolution gaming, and would become bottlenecked by memory bandwidth, which is why AMD hasnt done it. You defanged your OWN argument with this little tidbit.

Apologist arguments like that are why AMD's IGPs are so lame at the moment.

We're not talking about enough of a performance jump to go to much higher resolutions, we're just trying to get barely playable games that run 20-30fps to run at maybe 30-50fps. Even a 50% performance jump is well within the limits of current DDR4.

It doesn't have to be bigger, or "more" in appropriate term, but new uArch like this RDNA will undoubtedly bring substantial upgrade in mobile space. With Samsung paving pathway to mobile space, I really hope that's more than enough to convince AMD they need to revamp their aging Vega.
AMD been neglected iGPU for far too long, 3 generations with same config and "a clock bump" is lame to put it mildly. Intel has catch up with its 96EU Xe Graphics, as demonstrated by reviewer, its even surpass Vega 10 and close to MX350 in some test.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
It'd be great if Samsung allows other competitors access to their chips, frankly the near monopoly of QC on high end phones is just unbearable & I'm not even talking about their baseband (royalty?) shenanigans!
samsung did let other vendor use their SoC but most often they will keep their best for themselves for a generation or two first. the problem with smartphone market is many simply needs qualcomm modem/baseband. even samsung they cannot equip all their phones with their own SoC depending on which market they want to sell their phones to.

You need to hit Shift+F5 few times..

Tegra has been out performed by multiple SoC.
Yes it was the best performer for few years, but it suffered from high-power consumption, it was one of the reasons the Tegra didn't succeed well in the mobile market (the other reasons are cost and lack of radio silicon).

Today, almost all high-end SoC's from even 2-3 years outperform Tegra, depending on which benchmark and what SoC (which vendor). For example, according to notebookcheck, the Snapdragon 865 is on average over 80% faster than Tegra X1 (both CPU and GPU sides).

When Hector Ruiz was the CEO of AMD, he bought ATi, and after few months the financial crisis started so he sold the mobile and embedded centric part of ATi to Qualcomm to get cash (among other things), this includes the Adreno GPU (which is just an anagram of Radeon, eg.. same letters, different order) and IIRC the Geode processors intended for embedded systems like TV's and so on. Because he felt at that time that those embedded and mobile things were not the future. It was just few years before the exploding of smartphones.
the problem with tegra is they are using ARM stock high performance core that is well known not power efficient. even samsung and qualcomm (snapdragon 810) facing similar issue.

samsung did let other vendor use their SoC
Yes but outside of Meizu & perhaps a handful of others (smaller vendors) I don't recall any major player using them. Hopefully this changes in due course of time.

AMD has preferential order at TSMC, but the issue is how many 5nm production is TSMC going to have after it sells to Apple which is the number 1 customer. Maybe AMD will go with the advanced 6nm node, I hear that is quite better than 7n+ about 30% more power savings or 20% faster performance, though the main issue is how much chips is TSMC going to be able to produce on these newer nodes.

I think AMD will have to divide their nodes, so use the 7nm node for some processors, but use 6nm for others. In the GPU space they are likely to go with 6nm or 5nm because they sell less GPU's and they definitely need the power and speed boost to stay competitive with Nvidia.

So I'm thinking Epyc processors with 5nm or 6nm(whichever they choose), Ryzen 6000 and Threadripper still with 7nm. Monile cpu's on 7nm, custom apu's on 7nm, use Samsung's capacity for some GPU's, probably the low and mid range, and big Navi RX 7800 and above on 5nm or 6nm.

Yes but outside of Meizu & perhaps a handful of others (smaller vendors) I don't recall any major player using them. Hopefully this changes in due course of time.
Samsung will make sure the latest soc goes to their phone only for competitive reason against other vendor. Other vendor most often gen at best one generation behind than what being use on samsung flagship. But when it comes to soc for smartphone the biggest hurdle are hardware based modem/baseband. And the market are being shape in a way that give absolute advantage towards Qualcomm. Worse they already set thing in stone years ago to ensure they can abuse others legally. The only one that really can fight them back was chinese soc maker that also never play it fair.