1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Galaxy S8

Discussion in 'Phones & Tablets' started by Pete1burn, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Pete1burn

Pete1burn

Thanks Received:
    Is anyone else watching for the release of the S8? I'm considering getting an S8+ to replace my iPhone 6+. I can't stand Apple much anymore, and it's time I tested waters elsewhere.

I haven't had an Android phone since the original Google Nexus phones came out, many years ago.

Has anyone recently switched from Apple to Android?

Anyone else excited for the S8?

2. Jack1n

Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I switched from my old iPhone 4 to an HTC M8 a couple of years and have been using it since, you will not regret switching to android, and yes, I am also interested in the S8, if the display survives the drop tests and Samsung puts a headphone DAC inside it, I will buy it in a heart beat.

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The GF has two Apple 6 phones (one personal one for her biz). She now has "android envy" ...I upgraded to an S7, and it's so blatantly apparnt how superior Android is, primarily because Google services and content.. I can find a biz phone number, she cant - mostly content related. I can ask the phone to call/navigate, she can't. I can download a fre app, she has to pay $0.99. I'm even more unimpressed than I thought.

The S8? There's plenty of rumors on the web about that and the iPhone 8.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:

I did the same thing. I sold my iphone 4s back when it was still the main iphone model. I was tired of iphone's simplicity. I bought a Nokia windows 8 phone. Had it for 1.5 years and it was one issue after another. Then bought a LG G3, decent phone but had multiple hardware/software issues including a slow as all heck camera. 1.5 years later nabbed the LG G4 performed slightly better than the G3, still had a slow as heck camera. Dropped connections etc....traded it in for a LG V10. Much better phone. Camera was slightly faster...barely, constantly drop wifi, would have to to a reboot to get wifi working again. blue tooth issues, poor cell quality etc...I was at my wits end with android and windows. Decided to go back to a phone that just works even if it is simple. iPhone 6+ has been going strong since with not a single damn issue over the past year and it just always works. Best battery life I have ever had in a smart phone too.

You'll be back eventually. /sniggers

PHaS3 says thanks.
  5. huanle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was hurt becase of the Samsung Galaxy S7, so I will say no.

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I wish Sony would up their camera game, because their phones are much nicer than the Samsungs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Nope, waste of money these knew phones, nothing worth updating to. I still like my old S2 4G, beast phone, built like a brick, does everything you want a "phone" to do.

Komshija says thanks.
  8. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    It will be a very powerful device, just as it was with previous Samsung flagships. However, I tend to avoid big brands, not because I don't like them but because they offer almost the same thing as Chinese competition like Lenovo, Xiaomi, Meizu, ZTE etc. at 2x or 3x price tag. In other words, 5-10% performance increase isn't worth the extra 200-300% price increase.

My ex-girlfriend had (probably still owns it) an iPhone 6. I tried it for few weeks and decided to never-ever buy it.

9. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    Divide Overflow says thanks.
  10. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    I'm loving my S8 so far!
    I pre-ordered, so I'm picking up the free VR Gear from Samsung.

11. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    As am I, just thought I post that link for other freebies as well

12. Divide Overflow

Divide Overflow

Thanks Received:
    Looks like after being processed for the free VR Gear I am not eligible for the other promotion you linked. :( Were you able to claim both promotions somehow?

13. Pete1burn

Pete1burn

Thanks Received:
    No that new promotion is only for new purchases

14. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the next day they updated the article to say it was only for purchases after may 3rd unfortunately.

15. GamerGuy

GamerGuy

Thanks Received:
    Kinda late, but there is another alternative for the S8, and it's the LG G6. I could have gotten the S8, but since audio is my primary focus, the G6 with its 32bit HiFi DAC was the obvious choice. The S8 has an 18.5:9 screen format while the G6 has a similar 18:9 screen format. I enjoy Spotify as well as DSD/WAV/FLAC tracks and ripped 720P movies which I have on my mSD card, the HiFi Quad Dac can be toggled 'on' or 'off', but since one of my main concern is audio, I have it 'on' whenever I listen to music or watch a movie. I am, however, tempted by the S8+ simply due to its sheer size.......

16. monim1

Thanks Received:
    I am not impressed with Samsung Galaxy S8. Samsung keep launching upgraded version in every 3-6 months.

17. Gyres01

Gyres01

Thanks Received:
    .....Holding out for Note 8, my Note 4 still holding its own...

18. connie

connie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I switched from Apple to Android around one year ago. Maybe it sounds strange but for me, it is somehow easier with Android. Do not regret

19. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    I am using an ASUS ZenFone 2 since January 2016 and have not regretted a bit. 1.5 years old now. Still doesn't stutter, doesn't hang, performs the same day as on the first. Yes I admit, camera tech of smartphones have improved, but the ZenFone 2 still does a great job as my daily driver smartphone.
    I still cannot find a reason to upgrade it honestly.
    I have the ZE551ML with 4 GB RAM, 1.8 GHz CPU and 16 GB internal storage. Have installed a 64 GB Samsung EVO+ MicroSD U3 card and it does a great job.
    It is a pity Intel has given up on the smartphone segment because I personally feel they could have survived in a good position with proper marketing.
    The phone I have even has fast charging support (Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0).

20. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    That's kind of funny since Samsung has used Sony camera tech and hardware for their cameras since S6. The last time Samsung used their own tech and hardware on the S series was S5.

Frick says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The irony there is that the S5 camera was awseome. I sat wit my my moms S5 and my S7 and took comparitive pictures of the same subject. The S5 was just a touch better image quality, the S7 seemed to have better processing, but at times leads to an "artificial" look.

DRDNA says thanks.
  22. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Processing speed was the goal of switching to Sony's tech, Sony's tech and hardware can auto focus in a fraction of the time that Samsung currently can. Touted as instant auto focus even on moving subjects.

Sasqui says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  23. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    My guess Sony's camera was simply cheaper and they could make up for differences in processing speed. They're still both quite good, though I still think the S5 is better quality for general purpose shots such as portraits and sunsets. The S5 has a slightly higher resolution, though that rarely means much because of optics and processing.

DRDNA says thanks.