• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Introduces the Series 5 Ultrabook

Today Samsung Electronics unveiled the Series 5 Ultra, a 'high-performance' ultrabook which will debut in South Korea at the end of this month and will probably (hopefully) reach other markets in early 2012.

This new mobile solution makes use of an aluminum chassis, comes in 13.3-inch and 14-inch versions (the 13-inch model is 14.9 mm thick, the 14-inch is 20.9 mm), and features a yet unnamed Intel processor, up to 8GB of RAM, a 500GB/1TB hard drive or a 128GB solid state drive, and 8GB of ExpressCache memory which ensures lower boot and access times (Samsung claims that its machine can come out of sleep mode in under 2 seconds). The 14-inch unit boasts a Radeon HD 7550M discrete graphics card and an optical drive while the 13.3-inch model has to settle for an integrated Intel GPU and no ODD.

The Series 5 Ultra also has WiFi, a webcam, two USB 3.0 ports, and both D-Sub and HDMI outputs. Pricing in Korea is said to range from about US $1,121 to US $1,339.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
I'm so pleased to see:

1./ We are returning back to the superior Matte Screen on laptops/netbooks
2./ That Samsung are using great looking models in their PR, unlike some of the scary girls we have seen over the last couple of weeks from other Asian manufacturers!

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
During the last years overall LCD quality has fallen.

Just comparing an old XPS M1730... damn 4 years old tech... it shipped with an bleeding edge IPS panel (3 types). There are many examples like that...

What are these? Again photozhoped(some will understand) TN LCD screen on slide shows, design wise mimicking some sort maker with an bitten fruit on its logo. I can not complain about the babe though, not bad at all :D.

I don't care about the specs, it is a laptop, I do not need to run cysis on it... This machine is quite dis balanced productivity wise...13.3-inch and 14-inch with 8GB ram LoL...

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
The first ultrabook which comes with a non-Apple clone keyboard (these things are friggin' awful) gets my money.

Go!

Completely Bonkers

Motherboard Intel 865
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Software Windows 2003
Pebble keys are nice... have that on my "old" sony ultrabook. But squashed cursor keys are unforgivable since we DO SO MUCH with cursor keys, and we need a POSITIVE feedback when me move between scroll up and scroll down, not some kind of finger twist.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Just comparing an old XPS M1730... damn 4 years old tech... it shipped with an bleeding edge IPS panel (3 types). There are many examples like that...

What are these? Again photozhoped(some will understand) TN LCD screen on slide shows, design wise mimicking some sort maker with an bitten fruit on its logo. I can not complain about the babe though, not bad at all :D.

I don't care about the specs, it is a laptop, I do not need to run cysis on it... This machine is quite dis balanced productivity wise...13.3-inch and 14-inch with 8GB ram LoL...

Well you still have an option for IPS screens on some laptops, but I disagree about lower quality. I compared a 4 year old TN panel to a newer TN panel and the newer one is much better.
Of course it's still a TN and it's still shit compared to an IPS screen :cool:

If battery life anything as good as my Dell XPS 15(L502x) with 9 cell battery. I am selling my dell for this light weight beauty.:rockout:

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Well you still have an option for IPS screens on some laptops, but I disagree about lower quality. I compared a 4 year old TN panel to a newer TN panel and the newer one is much better.
Of course it's still a TN and it's still shit compared to an IPS screen :cool:

When I was a teenager in secondary school, I had to work to live properly and study.
And I was repair technician for old CRT TVs. Many brands ranging from Nokia to Sony and even soviet made ones etc... There for I have polished my critical eye view to normal color space and gamut and of course viewing angles... then the LCD age came in, I could not stand the fake image for long (just as fake boobs? :D).

And it still pisses me off... The current LCD manufactures are robbing us, they could've make better eIPS/VA/IPS screens for laptops, as it's very crucial for them to be independent of viewing angles. It is called poor competition... :confused:

Yeah, you're right. There few in the market still and TN tech has progressed, they cannot be compared to old ones for sure, but the main flaws have remained. At least we have still hope till the quadHD invasion comes in at last.

But again, if I am looking upon this product, for that price and features, I've would've preferred a perfect screen that costs just 20-50$ more in the real life, than this one...

Nah... I'll skip that... that old XPS that is 5 years old does the same(shame eh?). If we want battery life (Who does gaming on batteries? :wtf:), I chose ARM solution. Ipad 2 or Asus Transformer likes with keyboard is more suited for surfing and writing simple stuff for hours over the social web.
This product is sort of semi gaming MMORPG machine that has disguised it self as innocent Ultrabook (sounds gay to me), I am hiding my true nature - lol. I cannot justify the existence of this product nor as gamer, nor as a engineer, nor as mere consumer. I am not objective, I know that but I hope you understand my point of view also. It just a mere fragile toy, not a machine.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
When I was a teenager in secondary school, I had to work to live properly and study.
And I was repair technician for old CRT TVs. Many brands ranging from Nokia to Sony and even soviet made ones etc... There for I have polished my critical eye view to normal color space and gamut and of course viewing angles... then the LCD age came in, I could not stand the fake image for long (just as fake boobs? :D).

And it still pisses me off... The current LCD manufactures are robbing us, the could've make better eIPS/VA/IPS screens for laptops, as it very crucial for them to be independent of viewing angles. It is called poor competition... :confused:

Yeah, you're right. There few in the market still and TN tech has progressed, they cannot be compared to old ones for sure, but the main flaws have remained. At least we have still hope till the quadHD invasion comes in at last.

But again, if I am looking upon this product, for that price and features, I've would've preferred a perfect screen that costs just 20-50$ more in the real life, than this one...

Nah... I'll skip that... that old XPS that is 5 years old does the same(shame eh?). If we want battery life (Who does gaming on batteries? :wtf:), I chose ARM solution. Ipad 2 or Asus Transformer likes with keyboard is more suited for surfing and writing simple stuff for hours over the social web.
This product is sort of semi gaming MMORPG machine that has disguised it self as innocent Ultrabook (sounds gay to me), I am hiding my true nature - lol. I cannot justify the existence of this product nor as gamer, nor as a engineer, nor as mere consumer. I am not objective, I know that but I hope you understand my point of view also. It just a mere fragile toy, not a machine.

Very well said!

Manufacturers should really start putting at least e-IPS if they really don't want to use the more expensive (and better) S-IPS.
At the beginning the panels would be expensive yes, but after you ramp up production prices would fall and we would all have a much better display for a similar price.
They even ditched the 16:10 ratio on laptops which is a real shame.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL

8 Gig RAM isn't wasteful really. I use more than 4GB many times, you can use the extra as a RAM drive if you want, and with 8GB being 10~15$ more than a 4GB kit, it is really smarter

I like having my web browser, office, my most used apps etc to a RAM drive for instant use

djcl.ear

Why buy a technology soon fully outdated?

Beautiful...

But, why buy a laptop that is going to have its chipset and CPU outdated in a few months?
Specially since the incoming Ivy Bridge CPU is going to work much cooler and with a significant augment of battery autonomy.

Apparently all Ultrabooks and notebooks released before May 2012 won't be allowed to ever upgrade to Ivy Bridge. Intel has not comfirmed otherwise.
http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/..._embedded_and_OEM_mobile_Ivy_Bridge_CPUs.html

Completely Bonkers

Motherboard Intel 865
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Software Windows 2003
SAMSUNG, fix those cursor keys. Go look at a SONY laptop for ideas! :shadedshu