• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung permanently stops Galaxy Note 7 production

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Getting the newest hardware really doesn't apply as an advantage for smartphones ever since about two years ago. The CPUs are no longer making leaps like they used to, and all the rest of the phone is just a new iteration of the same thing. My 'ancient' Nexus 5 is still competing on CPU performance with the majority of 2016 models. And I bought that thing second-hand too, at the time it was still the fastest chip on the market and the Snapdragon releases after that were even less impressive than an Intel 'tick' these days. In some situations they even got slower, but more power efficient, as the low-power Cortex cores were added to stronger cores in BIG.little setups. And these days the only real leaps we see on ARM are on the GPU side because they desperately want to drive 4K on a tiny screen - a development that also has only drawbacks in terms of battery life etc.

Around 2012 I would agree with your statement, but even then and before that, buying a smartphone at or close to release was not a good idea. I remember the Optimus 2X on the 'fabulous' Tegra soc, the 'first dual core smartphone' of the world, and it was a disaster, slow as fuck, and lacking in update policy. After that, the Optimus 3D that also flopped and 3D was no more than a gimmick. Need I continue? We had Apple with antennagate, we have the Note 7 now, and if I start googling I could probably find about 20 more faulty releases that would directly impact your experience as an early adopter.

Being an early adopter has zero real advantages other than psychology of 'being the first'. There are no tangible benefits, only drawbacks - this applies to every single thing you early adopt. The cost is higher, the risk of faults is higher, and the chance of buying a soon to be discontinued product are also higher. Not all faults pop up in the first few weeks after release either - look at Samsung's AMOLED for a great example of this.
Partially true what you said but you disregarded that cpu/gpu aren't everything and that software is at least as important than hardware so I'll stay with my opinion.

Android 6 was a big step forward compared to 5 or 4 and 7 will be another increase which older phones will simply miss. Also the cameras get better every year.

Of course you have less problems with software by having a Google phone that's maybe why you didn't speak of it - but I never really cared about them up to this point, maybe because they get released at the wrong time or are simply not as good as Samsung or other models. I want dead edge when I buy something new for over 500 bucks.

Being a early adopter can be good and it can be bad. I'm early adopter of the kind that waits a few weeks before buying so exploding batteries don't really scare me off. The battery problems of note 7 was public after a few days I would've never buyed it anyway then. I wait 1 month usually as in I'm not someone who directly orders something before release - I rather buy after release. My strategy worked for decades now btw. You guys could never change my opinion. I just have a very good "feeling" for hardware for generally what's good and what is not. I never felt I need a note and now I'm confirmed. It's just too big too much in many ways.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
turning a "phone" into what amounts to a full blown do everything mini computer in your pocket does have its problems.. he he..

even the ones that too big to make useful phones are still too small to make a decent useful mini computer.. plus the more powerful ones throttle like f-ck and aint quite what the benchmarks make them out to be.. still they are cute little things.. :)

Xaoimi (the chinese apple) make some nice ones.. i have just been looking at the Mi5 pro.. very nice for the money.. relatively speaking.. he he..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Mi...152623?hash=item3d1db120ef:g:b5YAAOSwOVpXZ7QP

trog

ps.. it seems the only problems Xaoimi have is meeting the huge Asian demand for the stuff they make..

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
turning a "phone" into what amounts to a full blown do everything mini computer in your pocket does have its problems.. he he..

even the ones that too big to make useful phones are still too small to make a decent useful mini computer.. plus the more powerful ones throttle like f-ck and aint quite what the benchmarks make them out to be.. still they are cute little things.. :)

Xaoimi (the chinese apple) make some nice ones.. i have just been looking at the Mi5 pro.. very nice for the money.. relatively speaking.. he he..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Mi...152623?hash=item3d1db120ef:g:b5YAAOSwOVpXZ7QP

trog

ps.. it seems the only problems Xaoimi have is meeting the huge Asian demand for the stuff they make..

Samsung needs to just focus on 1 flagship launch and wait a few years instead of trying to launch yearly.