• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SanDisk Announces Release of the ULLtraDIMM SSD

SanDisk Corporation, a global leader in flash storage solutions, today announced that its ULLtraDIMM Solid State Drive (SSD), the industry's first enterprise-class, ultra-low latency, memory channel storage solution, is now shipping for qualification with select enterprise servers. The addition of flash technology on the DRAM memory channel expands the growing penetration of flash storage technology in enterprise data centers, and complements SanDisk's existing flash-based server hardware and software storage solutions.

The award-winning SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD can be integrated into an existing DIMM slot. This ensures ultra-low latency in business applications and results in improved application response times. Additional ULLtraDIMM SSDs can also be added to available DIMM slots, scaling performance and capacity without impacting latency. This creates new opportunities for server system designs to support use cases that require extremely fast storage, such as High-Frequency Trading (HFT), VDI, transaction processing, virtualization and cloud computing.

"The SanDisk ULLtraDIMM SSD was designed to expand the reach of ultra-low latency flash storage throughout the data center and scale to meet the requirements of any enterprise application, no matter how bandwidth or capacity intensive," said John Scaramuzzo, senior vice president and general manager, Enterprise Storage Solutions at SanDisk. "The ULLtraDIMM SSD's linear performance scalability and innovative DIMM form factor allow organizations to deploy flash as their application requirements change, without requiring significant infrastructure investment."

SanDisk's ULLtraDIMM SSD will be used by IBM under the eXFlash DIMM brand name. IBM recently announced that the eXFlash DIMM is an option for its System x3850 and x3950 X6 servers providing up to 12.8 TB of flash capacity. IBM tested the solution under a variety of enterprise workloads and end-user scenarios. These early benchmarks showed that the eXFlash DIMM SSD achieved 5-10 microsecond write latency-the lowest in the industry.

Gartner indicates "that the advent of big data use cases is just one dynamic compounding the challenges of managing data growth, and organizations face massive volumes of information and new content types that require variable storage, security, protection and access methods." This data growth coupled with end-users' demand for instant access to information is spurring the need for a revolution in how chief information officers (CIOs) leverage storage to manage requirements while reducing total cost of ownership (TCO).

For more information about SanDisk's ULLtraDIMM SSD, which was developed in partnership with Diablo Technologies, please visit www.sandisk.com/enterprise..

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
That name is ... it's terrible. ULLtraDIMM. Ull is wool in swedish. WoolDumb.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
2 questions...

1. Where can i get a quad channel kit in hong kong?

2. How much?

::edit::

Bollocks, just read that it will be used by IBM, guess nothing for the commercial market anytime soon

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
That name is ... it's terrible. ULLtraDIMM. Ull is wool in swedish. WoolDumb.

It sounds like a Thun from Skyrim. If you are Dhovakin and can say ULLtraDIMM in dragonspeech, you will commence the great reproduction of DDR4 RAM for no cost, PCB's will rain down upon the greybeards, and the partay of Mondas of the year of the third emporer will begin.

DhovaDIMM.

EDIT: I laughed so hard, I think I just sh!t my pants.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
How does this even work? Would it need some kind of special motherboard or bios?

I'm wondering the same thing. I mean, sticking SSD into DIMM slots that are otherwise dedicated to RAM. I don't quite get it...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm wondering the same thing. I mean, sticking SSD into DIMM slots that are otherwise dedicated to RAM. I don't quite get it...

Businesses that use huge, massive databases. They don't require a great deal of RAM, however access to databases by thousands of users could be greatly improved on a server where the storage is in such a low latency area as a DIMM slot. Fill up a typical server with these a just a few dozen GB's of RAM and you have yourself a lightning fast database, at least until business hours start.

It sounds like a RAMDisk, but permanent and with hardware not software. Depending on the price, it could be very usefull stuff.