• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sandy Bridge E or Ivy Bridge

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I run an x58 set up currently and to be honest it does everything it needs to and it does it well. The only caveat is it does it by consuming power, overclocked cpu and 580 lighting for gfx.

I am setting aside £2000* for a rig but after reading lacklustre previews about SB-E I figured I'd hold off till IB comes out (by which time my set up will be >3 years old.)

My question is and it's for the tech heads out there:

I like fast set ups and I plan on w/c and overclocking and having that pc for another 3 years potentially. Which platform will have more longetivity and which would be more fun to have?

My x58 might be bested by SB-E now so I dont want to get an X79 platform only to be equalled by a IB set up.

I game and browse but that's not the point - I like having a good powerful PC, same way some folks here have cars that do 140mph + but really don't drive them that way. It's all about the love of the machine.

Should I hold off for IB or move up to X79. Or wait to see how X79 goes down and then decide? Genuine techy insight would be appreciated - not interested in "SB-E's gonna suck!" - I need factoids.

*I'm a cheap date and have few costly vices.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
IB is a better choice. smaller die. runs cooler. less power consumption and plus from nehalem and sandy bridge you could tell that IB will be better than SB-E.(like 2600k is on par with 980X)

and of course nothing's better than having the latest gen

your system is still awesome. it may be better to skip sandy bridge and go straight to ivy.

and of course wait for matured benchmarks to come before buying either..

If I'm in your place I would go straight to Ivy Bridge. :)

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I would see what IB holds, I am also thinking of 2600K but with these two closing near, I would wait :)

Black Haru

Staff member
I run an x58 set up currently and to be honest it does everything it needs to and it does it well. The only caveat is it does it by consuming power, overclocked cpu and 580 lighting for gfx.

I am setting aside £2000* for a rig but after reading lacklustre previews about SB-E I figured I'd hold off till IB comes out (by which time my set up will be >3 years old.)

My question is and it's for the tech heads out there:

I like fast set ups and I plan on w/c and overclocking and having that pc for another 3 years potentially. Which platform will have more longetivity and which would be more fun to have?

My x58 might be bested by SB-E now so I dont want to get an X79 platform only to be equalled by a IB set up.

I game and browse but that's not the point - I like having a good powerful PC, same way some folks here have cars that do 140mph + but really don't drive them that way. It's all about the love of the machine.

Should I hold off for IB or move up to X79. Or wait to see how X79 goes down and then decide? Genuine techy insight would be appreciated - not interested in "SB-E's gonna suck!" - I need factoids.

*I'm a cheap date and have few costly vices.

I don't know how SB-E will do on heat, but ivy bridge will likely not need water cooling. (SB didn't) with an H-60 (not a real WC setup) I never had temp problems, even when I was overvolting the crap out of my chip, I would say it is a safe bet that IB will operate the same way (voltage wall is hit long before the temp wall)

honestly, if you are happy with your rig now, you stand to loose nothing by waiting for IB and making your decision when it releases. you will have more time to save money, Intel will have time to make revisions to SB-E, and you will be able to get an accurate look at IB and make an educated decision.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
You're all backing up my gut feeling. I'm still gonna water cool my system even if it doesn't need it - too much fun not too :D

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think Ivy Bridge is going to be the better bet. The main things LGA 2011 has over LGA 1155 are:
  1. 32 PCIe lanes vs 16 in LGA 1155
  2. More 6Gbps SATA ports
  3. Quad channel memory

Regarding #1: Ivy Bridge will get an upgrade to PCIe 3.0 and will have the same bandwidth in 16 lanes as LGA 2011 has in 32 lanes. So this is meaningless.

Regarding #2: Most high end LGA 1155 boards complement the standard two 6 Gbps SATA ports with 2 more. Unless you're looking to do more than 2 SSDs it's unlikely you'd need/use more than the 2 (or 4) 6 Gbps ports.

Regarding #3: It's pretty easy to get a dual channel kit that will run up to 2133MHz with LGA 1155 and that makes up for quite a bit of the memory bandwidth difference.

Pros for Ivy Bridge:
  1. Smaller manufacturing process so it'll be more energy efficient.
  2. And the normal optimizations will increase core performance over Sandy Bridge E.

I'd definitely go Ivy Bridge. Outside of needing to fully populate 8 dimm slots (max of 64GB) or running large RAID arrays with the 10 SATA ports I don't see Sandy Bridge E being a gamer's chip with Ivy Bridge hot on it's heels.