• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sandy Bridge-E Won't Pack Stock Coolers, Intel to Sell them Separately

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I think it's a brilliant idea, worst case scenario we pay the same price as if with the HSF, best case scenario we save some cash to spend on anything else in the new rig, all in all a win-win situation. Saying this with overclockers and enthusiasts in mind

My dad thought it was a brilliant idea to not use a condom too but we all know how that turned out.

It comes down to packaging and price and being green!

Intel has a smaller packaging that costs them less, they can continue hold the same retail price as the last high end boxed unit. Environmentally it’s good as for them as they aren’t expending energy wasted in design, production, and shipping a cooler that never gets used. Probably like a bunch I’ve had that end up taking up space; you just tossed in the trash after 5 years. While the very green thing is the savings Intel makes on not supplying them, it’s like a $25 price increase for doing less that’s green!

Honestly, it is a very sensible strategy for all CPU’s to no longer include them, just sell the certification and right to add Intel/AMD “certified” to the cooler manufactures.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I don't really see this as a down side, maybe they can take $10-$30 off of the price tag, but I see some of the AMD trolls are already claiming this as scheme to screw customers (PLZ GTFO). :slap:

usually the stock heatsinks sit in the box and do nothing but take up space in my parts closet, so IMO no biggie.

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I like this.
No HSFs for high-end CPUS sounds like a fine idea to me.

And people said that BD's temps were going to be bad because they were offering LCS :laugh:
To me, this sounds just as bad.

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
I like this.
No HSFs for high-end CPUS sounds like a fine idea to me.

And people said that BD's temps were going to be bad because they were offering LCS :laugh:
To me, this sounds just as bad.

I agree, it sounds "bad" but how many people here use the stock coolers, not many if any. But that said, these are aimed at the ultra high end market so. . . really seems some are making a mountain out of a non existent mole hill.

I'll never use a stock cooler...as far as I am concerned, no CPU should come with a cooler, not even entry-level ones, and prices should be lowered accordingly without an included heatsink.

I'm all for keeping the metal outta the box, and saving some resources. I'm not even too concerned about paying the same price, with no heatsink, TBH...

^this

Last edited:
Processor i5-7600k
Case Corsair 550D

Yea, that sounds good and dandy until customers start returning tons of CPUs because they didn't care to read that it did not come with a stock cooler. You got to remember that the majority of consumers use low-end to mid-level powered PCs. Enthusiasts/Overclockers only account for a very small margin in a rather large retail sales pool. That being said, the top 1 or 2 CPUs ship without HSF, sounds great. Kids who don't know their asshole from their elbow shouldn't be getting the highest end if they don't even care to overclock.
I'm actually still using the stock HSF for my E8400 because I don't need any more than what I have it clocked at. Gaming, which is the main decider in PC hardware for me personally, will not be improved that much if I OC it just a few more hundred MHZ.

Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate
Ah, but then Intel is going to sell the CPUs at same price with no heatsink.

Exactly! I wonder if this is related to the release delay that was expected.

but I see some of the AMD trolls are already claiming this as scheme to screw customers (PLZ GTFO). :slap:

usually the stock heatsinks sit in the box and do nothing but take up space in my parts closet, so IMO no biggie.

So, your willing to say that Intel's top CPU SKU will not hold the line on retail pricing, and actually cost less than the going rate of $1050 for the i7-975 Extreme as it is now at Egg? :roll:

And, you keep all your old out-date stuff... I image the show Hoarders!

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
I hope AMD and Intel do not include heatsinks either, I have a perfectly fine Zalman(which is rated for 350Ws of TDP) waiting for either Sandy Bridge-E or Bulldozer depends which one I buy that gets the highest score in x264 for the best price

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
Yea, that sounds good and dandy until customers start returning tons of CPUs because they didn't care to read that it did not come with a stock cooler. You got to remember that the majority of consumers use low-end to mid-level powered PCs. Enthusiasts/Overclockers only account for a very small margin in a rather large retail sales pool. That being said, the top 1 or 2 CPUs ship without HSF, sounds great. Kids who don't know their asshole from their elbow shouldn't be getting the highest end if they don't even care to overclock.
I'm actually still using the stock HSF for my E8400 because I don't need any more than what I have it clocked at. Gaming, which is the main decider in PC hardware for me personally, will not be improved that much if I OC it just a few more hundred MHZ.

I don't understand why people make this counter argument. This is what disclaimer stickers are for. I sincerely doubt that Intel or any company would sell a product like this that absolutely needs something else in order to run without warning people first. Even kids toys have "batteries not included" on the side.

I'll be anything they'll have a big red warning label on the outside of the box that says "STOP etc." and they'll probably have another one on the inside right across the processor itself.

As far as the overclocking thing, this is something else that I believe many people have misconceptions of. First of all "overclocking" is an intimidating word. The "over" part sounds like something you shouldn't do, like overheat. A lot of people wont try it just because of this. I guarantee you that there are a good percentage of people who buy the best just because they think if they do it'll save them from overclocking, or they may be ignorant to the whole process entirely.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Yea, that sounds good and dandy until customers start returning tons of CPUs because they didn't care to read that it did not come with a stock cooler. You got to remember that the majority of consumers use low-end to mid-level powered PCs..

Majority of users won't be building their own pc using high end cpus.Its still outrageous to me that anyone would build one and not consider cpu cooling. Hsf.... naah i'll save the money and buy led fans instead of the regular ones:rockout:!!!--Anyone that falls into that category doesn't respect the culture and needs to be brought to reality by the smell of burnt silicon.

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
So, your willing to say that Intel's top CPU SKU will not hold the line on retail pricing, and actually cost less than the going rate of $1050 for the i7-975 Extreme as it is now at Egg? :roll:

And, you keep all your old out-date stuff... I image the show Hoarders!

I never speculated on price, I would hope if there is no heatsink they would lower the price accordingly.

Out of date .. . no . .. anything I can use or is in use I keep the retail box for so I can sell it when it's no longer needed or when I upgrade as most people do. Why would I toss the stock heatsink . . . . I may not want it but the next person who i sell the chip to might.

Processor i5-7600k
Case Corsair 550D
I'll be anything they'll have a big red warning label on the outside of the box that says "STOP etc." and they'll probably have another one on the inside right across the processor itself.

You think that stopped some people from dunking their mouths into their favorite cup of coffee from dunkin donuts and ignoring the sign that says "CAUTION, MAY BE EXTREMELY HOT"? I don't think so.

I don't understand why people make this counter argument. This is what disclaimer stickers are for. I sincerely doubt that Intel or any company would sell a product like this that absolutely needs something else in order to run without warning people first. Even kids toys have "batteries not included" on the side.

As far as the overclocking thing, this is something else that I believe many people have misconceptions of. First of all "overclocking" is an intimidating word. The "over" part sounds like something you shouldn't do, like overheat. A lot of people wont try it just because of this. I guarantee you that there are a good percentage of people who buy the best just because they think if they do it'll save them from overclocking, or they may be ignorant to the whole process entirely.

I make the argument because it is the reality. In the PC world, there are few things that are missing from a package of let's say...a 2.5" to 3.5" converter for an SSD or no included SATA cables for a motherboard. You can't deny that there is a higher return rate or an increased number of complaint calls because of this.

However, this is the first time we are seeing CPUs shipped without HSFs. It doesn't matter if they put a big bullseye on it, there will be an increasing amount of customer returns because of this. Even if Intel can save this money, it WILL be passed onto pre-built systems via cyberpower/falcon nw or whatever other place builds machines and sells them as wholes...which in turn get passed down to us (depending on what HSFs are put onto them).
But hey....here's hoping they don't pass it down onto regular ole builders like you and me :rolleyes:

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
You think that stopped some people from dunking their mouths into their favorite cup of coffee from dunkin donuts and ignoring the sign that says "CAUTION, MAY BE EXTREMELY HOT"? I don't think so.

Sorry no, this is not a valid counter. You can't compare a daily activity like drinking coffee that people are used to and thus take for granted to a once every few year thing that the people ignorant enough not to realize they need an extra part will be more than aware of a big warning label. These are not comparable.

Also SATA cables and the like aren't quite the same because these are relatively ubiquitous interchangeable parts. This isn't the same as something as something that's quasi-unique absolutely necessary to operate a piece of equipment.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Sorry no, this is not a valid counter. You can't compare a daily activity like drinking coffee that people are used to and thus take for granted to a once every few year thing that the people ignorant enough not to realize they need an extra part will be more than aware of a big warning label. These are not comparable.

Also SATA cables and the like aren't quite the same because these are relatively ubiquitous interchangeable parts. This isn't the same as something as something that's quasi-unique absolutely necessary to operate a piece of equipment.

You must not be from the U.S.. The stupidity of the general population here goes beyond words. Never underestimate the ignorance of some of these neanderthals.

System Name Coming up in september
You must not be from the U.S.. The stupidity of the general population here goes beyond words. Never underestimate the ignorance of some of these neanderthals.

I agree to a certain extent, but enthusiasts buying these high-end CPU's most likely are equipped with enough common sense to actually realize there's no HSF, since it's not exactly entry-level. Sources say theyll cost from 350-999 dollars, which is quite an investment without reading a description

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
I agree to a certain extent, but enthusiasts buying these high-end CPU's most likely are equipped with enough common sense to actually realize there's no HSF, since it's not exactly entry-level. Sources say theyll cost from 350-999 dollars, which is quite an investment without reading a description

I agree if someone is buying it for themselves, but a lot of these morons have rich relatives and holidays. I really don't think the moron rate will be high, but there will be a few.

T

twilyth

I can tell that you've never had to do user support. I understand why you think the argument is absurd, but 'absurd' is SOP when doing user support. You know all those old jokes about users calling tech support because their pc didn't work and it turns out the reason is that it wasn't turned on? Those aren't really jokes but true stories.

As a computer forum, I can guarantee that TPU gets an influx of help requests when these chips hit retail. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and I will admit it gladly if I am, but I fear that I will be right.

System Name Coming up in september
I can tell that you've never had to do user support. I understand why you think the argument is absurd, but 'absurd' is SOP when doing user support. You know all those old jokes about users calling tech support because their pc didn't work and it turns out the reason is that it wasn't turned on? Those aren't really jokes but true stories.

As a computer forum, I can guarantee that TPU gets an influx of help requests when these chips hit retail. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and I will admit it gladly if I am, but I fear that I will be right.

Someone has been watching "The IT Crowd" :rockout:
I agree that the argument is far from absurb, but keep in mind this is not OEM PC's, also people recieving top-end CPU's as gifts seems really minimal to me :)

T

twilyth

Someone has been watching "The IT Crowd" :rockout:
I agree that the argument is far from absurb, but keep in mind this is not OEM PC's, also people recieving top-end CPU's as gifts seems really minimal to me :)

I do wish that my opinion were based only on a tv show and not on personal experience. I think I did consider watching that show at some point but never actually got around to it.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
All i know is that I have these:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43181&stc=1&d=1313422424

and only have them because there is heatsinks in them.

I'll never use a stock cooler...as far as I am concerned, no CPU should come with a cooler, not even entry-level ones, and prices should be lowered accordingly without an included heatsink.

I'm all for keeping the metal outta the box, and saving some resources. I'm not even too concerned about paying the same price, with no heatsink, TBH...
Ditto.

I don't care about this at all. In fact, I prefer it. I can't count how many stock heatsinks I have floating around, or have thrown away. I'd pay the same price for the cpu without the heatsink just for not having to deal with the damn things. I would've have been buying them in OEM packaging, but those come with a reduced warranty compared to retail.

And I don't know too many people that buy the very best cpu at retail that don't know what they are doing. The ones that don't know what they are doing usually just buy the very best OEM they can afford. Sure, there are going to be exceptions, but that's not the norm.

Last edited:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Yep^^^^
Actually hate the stock coolers being included:(

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I understand them not bundlinging with the EE version due to it being enthusiast market, but for the other models you still have OEM partners that use the stock coolers, N then the Users who dont overclock.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I understand them not bundlinging with the EE version due to it being enthusiast market, but for the other models you still have OEM partners that use the stock coolers, N then the Users who dont overclock.

Quite right, and those OEM partners who are going to put high end CPU's in their machines will order a cooler with the CPU no doubt.