• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

saphhire radeon 9550 128MB

narcx

hi, first of all i'm going to apologise for asking about the 9550. i probably read half the threads around here but im still confused. i recently got myself a saphhire radeon 9550 128MB card and i know nothing about overclocking. i downloaded and installed the softmod package and the atitool. i've checked the remove lock option box and ran the 'find max core' and aborted it at 280mhz. i havent done anything to the card, no additional fans or heatsink, but using only the stock fan (with the little blue light thingy). i want to know how high can i overclock the core speed without damaging the card? without having to get a better fan or anything. please help! thanks! :)

Last edited:

ati.bob

Hmm... looks like you have the same card as mine.. but maybe your card have 4ns Samsung memory chip I presume..? (Mine's Samsung 5ns :()

As for the core/GPU speed.. you could easily reach 400MHz with the stock heatsink/fan (with 3 blue LED thingy underneath the fan :D) that comes with the card.. I've done that before but I would strongly recommend that you get a good cooler fan if you decided to keep your card running continously at such high speed...

narcx

which means....... if i OC my core to 400mhz and stick with my stock fan there might be possible problems? what can happen?

warlock110

nah, the stock cooler is good up to 400mhz, all the pro card used the same cooler and their stock speed is 400mhz, i do suggest a new cooler just to be on the safe side, you should get a silencer or any cooler that will fit on other cards incase you wanna upgrade later.

ati.bob

Not much of a problem really, but I wouldn't recommend you overclock your GPU with such a small heatsink fan.. although, personally, I have no problems with it before.. but the heatsink does feel quite hot after long game play.. but it should be OK if you keep a good air flow in your casing..

If you're going to get a better cooling.. I think you should avoid the Vantec Iceberq4 because it can't fit mine due to several interference between the on-board components like the capacitor and the cooler itself..

warlock110

there are only several cooler that will fit the 9550, unfortunaly they are all expensive, the cheapest one is the regular iceberg, it's better than the stock but i didn't like it becasue the fan was kindda small, but if you want a cheap solution, that's your best bet.

ati.bob

I can't seem to get the regular Iceberq around my country.. so I've got stuck with a medium-sized el'cheapo generic GPU cooler that is custom-modded to fit onto my card (it's a hard job to measure and cut out the parts that interfere with my card, but it's worth it).. :D