• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 6950 1GB Dual fan unlock

olm

Hello everybody !

Maybe its a 99999999 thread about unlocking 6950's , but I'm yet to find any info about my specific card . I DID searched these forums as well as many others ...

Please - is there any hope for me ?

I got Sapphire 1gb model with dual fans - model number : 11188-09-40G .

Did anyone succeeded in unlocking this specific card ? Can anyone give me any tips ?

I've tried to use RBE to modify the bios , tried even force flash - nothing works . This card is just flash-proof ...

Any help will be highly appreciated !

This is probably a 2001/18/8 part, meaning it's very recent and most likely cannot be unlocked. Most of custom 1GB versions couldn't unlock anyway...

olm

I've seen people reported of successful unlock Asus and MSI custom cards .. so maybe someone know how to unlock mine too .

Hope never dies ! :)

DbV

Hi,

I've just registered to tell You that I've got exactly the same Card at it works well.

How to mod:
1. Read the BIOS with GPU-Z and save it to your Desktop e.g. under the name Cayman.bin
2. Open the BIOS using newest RBE (I used RBE_128)
3. Go to the "Additional features" Tab
4. Unlock 6970 shader count
5. Leave everything else as is!
6. Get ATI WinFlash (I used 2.0.1.14)
7. Flash your Card (I had to change position of the BIOS Switch, works with system running)
8. Uninstall all AMD Software
9. Reboot
10. Install AMD Software and reboot
11. I recommend setting Powertune feature in Catalyst to +12% (224W so it meets PCIe standards)
12. Set Clocks using Sapphire Trixx (880/1375 works fine with my one)
13. done

When I set clocks in BIOS together with shader unlock i get a bluescreen when booting into windows with Catalyst software installed. My described method works with MY PC!

Good luck and don't break your hardware!

luka46

I treid these steps and I had a successful flash, but the shaders remaind the same... :(

DbV

Hi, use GPU-Z for getting number of shaders. Other programs often use databases whith 1408 as entry. Also check if your modelnumber is the right one: 11188-09-40G. Other versions may not be unlockable.

Greetings

luka46

I did use GPU-Z. My model is 11188-09-21G. But how come GPU-Z is showing the same shaders, when I had a successful flash?

DbV

Hi, if the flash was successful and the shaders aren't ulocked, you have probably flashed with the original bios instead of a changed one. Make sure to save the changed bios before flashing and use the changed bios to flash. If you did so, your card may have lasercuts. That means even if you change the bios to 1million shaders it remains at 1408.

Greetings

luka46

I did changed bios with RBE (unlock 6970 shader count) and saved it, and than flashed it... After flashing, I checked bios with RBE and the 6970 shader unlock was selected, but GPU-Z was still showing 1408... I guess since there is no other way to unlock shaders, can I at least overclock it? I mean, I'm new to these things, and it would be helpful if you could tell me how to do it. Thanks in advance.

DbV

Hi, you cannot overclock by bios because amd detects it and deactivates the driver. I use Sapphire Trixx for overclocking. You can save up to 4 overclocking profiles. Be careful when overclocking. It can damage your hardware permanently. Overclock always in small steps, lets say 10mhz. Check every configuration with at least half an hour of gameplay. Also check the temperatures. They should stay at least below 90°C/193°F. The lower the better. I stayed below 70°C with 880/1375MHz (6970).

But i had to raise voltage a bit. That's always dangerous and often shortens life of the graphics card.

Good luck!

EDIT1: To make overclocking more efficient: Open Catalyst Control Center and set Powetune (in the tab were's overclocking) higher. If you set it above 12% you run out of PCIexpress specifications. It may work but also can damage your hardware, and not only your graphics card!

Last edited: