1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire HD4850 Toxic vertical bars problem

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Dr. Kec, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Dr. Kec New Member

Thanks Received:
    Firs of all,I would like to apologize if I put this thread in wrong forum or something,I am new here.I am sure that many of you heard about this problem on Sapphire HD4870 card,it's also happening on HD4850,and I think only on Sapphire ones.

The thing is that when I play a game,most of the time it's race driver grid,after a while(about 3-5 minutes) the game crashes and I get vertical bars all over my screen.Many people suggested to flash the card so I did,with this bios,but it didn't help.

I am bagging you to help,I am going crazy because I haven't paid little money for this card so I would like it to work normally.I'm also waiting for BIOS from Sapphire but I don't think it will come any time soon.

My specs:
    DFI LanParty UT x48 T2R/G
    Core 2 Duo E6600@3.4GHz
    1xKingmax 2GB 800MHz
    Codegen 350W+IBM150W

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Paulieg The Mad Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Considering the power supply mixture you are using, I'd say unstable power may be your issue. Get a better power supply. It is very important!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Recommendations

1. Flash your card back with the old bios.
    2. Upgrade your power supply. At least of a 600W.
    3. Check the coolers. If it's running.
    4. If you tell sapphire that you flashed your card with bios, you won't receive any support from them. Probably a "You've void the blah blah..."

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Dr. Kec New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank for the advice.I will take the card to my friend's and put it in his computer with better power supply and see what will happen.But I still think it's BIOS or PowerPlay related.People on ATI/AMD forum managed to fix this problem on HD4870 just by flashing the card with the official sapphire BIOS.

Are there any other ideas?

5. Paulieg The Mad Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I don't want to give you a hard time, but if you don't get a better PSU, you WILL kill this card and/or other components. A good PSU IS the foundation to any gaming system. Almost as bad as having sex with a stranger without a condom.:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    +1 :toast:

Also you might get a power surge, and that is dangerous cause you can destroy your entire hardware, and i mean every parts.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Dr. Kec New Member

Thanks Received:
    Next thing I am buying for my pc is a new PSU for sure.I know the risk of using these old power supplies,but momentarily I don't have the money to buy a new one.