• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 - freezes when playing triple A games

Beloqe

So my pc freezes a lot usually when playing high gpu demanding games. It can run every game and the fps is always amazing but sometimes even after 10 minutes of, for example cyberpunk 2077, it freezes and after every freeze I can’t do anything, the keyboard acts like it lost power because the lighting goes off and I can’t do any button combination to get out of the game (ctrl + alt + del etc), trying to switch it to another usb port doesn’t do anything in that state or for freezing in general, the mouse stays lit up but no response either, components in the pc stay lit up too. I can only press the restart button on my tower to boot it up again.
Only troubleshoot that I have done is changing my PSU and my Motherboard and it was still the same, that’s why I’m thinking that it’s probably the gpu but I can’t know for sure.
I have seen some post here of people saying to change the thermal pads on the gpu, and that’s in the works.
I don’t know if there is a troubleshooting program for the freezes so after I boot it up again I could see what’s the problem.
I can try recording a video of the freeze happening if needed.
If someone has any suggestions or maybe knows what’s up I would be grateful if you would post them here. I will try everything out and post a response.

my specs if needed:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600x
Cpu cooler: DeepCool GAMMAXX 400
Gpu: Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56
Motherboard: Aorus Elite B450
Ram: Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb 3000Mhz
Psu: Rampage RGB 850W 80 Plus old
Memory: ssd 120gb (windows), NVME ADATA sx6000 512gb, hdd toshiba 1tb

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
If this happens after playing the game for a bit, perhaps the card is overheating and needs a cleaning? Have you checked your temps while gaming?

JammyJames1234

Hi. Try undervolting it... I used to have a vega 56 and used overdriventool but you can also do it from within Radeon settings. MSI afterburner can also do it but I found it often conflicted with Radeon settings.

I had same issue with my old RX470. Basically these AMD GPUs run hot.
If you undervolt them then they are cooler and actually run faster!

I actually used to undervolt them, turn up the power delivery and overclock. But for now, you can either reduce the voltage given to it or reduce the clockspeed

there are 6 or 7 "states" and say the voltage for states 6 and 7 are 1.10 and 1.12 volts
try turning down to 1.08 and 1.10 volts (I got away with 1.05 I think)

simnilarly, if the state 6 and 7 clocks are 1500 and 1550, turn them down to 1400 and 1450

both of these should work.

When you do that, you can then fine tune optimal performance for your card.

But yeah, replacing the thermal paste is also a good idea. But the above will get you going for now!

Forgot to say - if I pushed my card too hard I used to just get a black or sometimes blue screen and then my pc crashed.

Beloqe

If this happens after playing the game for a bit, perhaps the card is overheating and needs a cleaning? Have you checked your temps while gaming?
Just now played cyberpunk on high for about 10mins max, froze, temps where around 60-70?

Hi. Try undervolting it... I used to have a vega 56 and used overdriventool but you can also do it from within Radeon settings. MSI afterburner can also do it but I found it often conflicted with Radeon settings.

I had same issue with my old RX470. Basically these AMD GPUs run hot.
If you undervolt them then they are cooler and actually run faster!

I actually used to undervolt them, turn up the power delivery and overclock. But for now, you can either reduce the voltage given to it or reduce the clockspeed

there are 6 or 7 "states" and say the voltage for states 6 and 7 are 1.10 and 1.12 volts
try turning down to 1.08 and 1.10 volts (I got away with 1.05 I think)

simnilarly, if the state 6 and 7 clocks are 1500 and 1550, turn them down to 1400 and 1450

both of these should work.

When you do that, you can then fine tune optimal performance for your card.

But yeah, replacing the thermal paste is also a good idea. But the above will get you going for now!

Forgot to say - if I pushed my card too hard I used to just get a black or sometimes blue screen and then my pc crashed.
Okay thanks, will try and post what happens.