• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire radeon hd 5850 vapor-x issues

AwaStander

Hey there

I have the following setup:
Gigabyte H97M-D3H MB
16 Gb DDR3 Ram
I7 4790 Intel Core
650 Watt Corsair PSU

Bought a second hand Sapphire Radeon Hd 5850 vapor-x 1gb display card the other day, popped it in, got the latest drivers, card was working great for 3 days. Then all of a sudden the fan would speed up to 100 percent, core temp stayed between 40 and 50, and after it sped up the the screen goes blank and everything is gone, sound included. But the box is on. So after that when I turn on the pc, the fan runs at 100% straight andno visuals. I went back to the onboard, updated the BIOS to version F7 which is the latest for my MB. Same story when I put in the card. Took off. The casing, cleaned everything neatly, put new thermal paste, same story. Tried it on another computer, same story. So definitely the card.

What can I check on the card to see what is the problem? No, I do not have a volt meter or test light.

Thanks in advance...

AwaStander

Check the 4-pin fan connector on the card. Double check that all 4 pins and wires are fine.

You can try to use MSI Afterburner to create custom fan curve, or update the VBIOS, or even better: return the used 11-year-old card and buy a modern one.

Some of us prefer the older stuff. Also, some of us live in a shitty country where you pay more than your salary for a descent card. For IT people some of you are really stupid. Think the only answer is, buy a new one.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
There is no odometer on graphics cards. You can't know how this card was used. Maybe was used for mining or hardcore gaming for 24/7.

Both Amazon and eBay offer global shipping policies available almost worldwide.

A brand new RX 500 / GT 1030 just around $80. You can find used GTX 960 for even cheaper.

I'm not telling to buy the latest and most expensive graphics card, but something made in the last few years. 11-year-old card is likely to have problems.

But if you insist, try to clean the graphic card again with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Especially the GPU area and PCIe pins.

When you're done, reapply thermal paste on the GPU, remount the heatsink, plug it back in.

If the graphics card still doesn't work, you can try the oven trick as the last resort.

Last edited:
Measure the voltage regulator transistors if there's any bad ones or heat up just the core with a heat gun, to see if it re-connects with the board...